• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Madmonkey said it wasn't necessary, so I assumed the mini got what it needed via the sync. Haven't updated to f yet, I guess I can try it both ways. Boot up is supposed to be much faster so I guess it'll be noticeable.

--edit

yeah, you still need to flash kernel.

Oh I see what he's saying. In that case you need to uninstall and then install. Personally, I didn't see any chances in my SNESC until I uninstalled and then reflashed the custom kernel again.

This means I have to re-flash and re-synce like 90+ games again :(

Reflash yes, resync no. But if you want to resync and you already deleted the games from your PC, just use the FTP to find the folder where you have all your games in the SNESC, then download them to your PC and put them in the 'games_snes' folder in your hakchi folder. Once you open hakchi, it should have all the games on the list again.

So I think I messed up in the update process, I downloaded the latest update and replaced all the files in the Hakchi folder so when I booted it up it didn't show the games I had uploaded on there. Is there anything I should be concerned about?

If the games you added are in the 'games_snes' folder in your hakchi folder, then they should be on the hakchi list. If you synched without having those games on the hakchi list, then they will be deleted from your SNESC.

If for some reason you don't have any games in the 'games_snes' folder in your hakchi folder, then look at my post above as to how to download them from the SNESC with the FTP.

Last edited:

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do I reflash without having to resync? Just flash the kernal in the latest hakchi and leave it at that?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I hope someone works on a hack to allow Super Scope games to be played with the controller. I wants sum Battleclash and Metal Combat.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I want to install a game that only runs on Retroarch, does Retroarch show up as it's own icon or it hidden and streamlined?

I've some basic googling, do I have to install Retroarch manually for these games or does hitting "yes" on the Hakchi prompt do everything for me?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If I want to install a game that only runs on Retroarch, does Retroarch show up as it's own icon or it hidden and streamlined?

I've some basic googling, do I have to install Retroarch manually for these games or does hitting "yes" on the Hakchi prompt do everything for me?

Retroarch is invisible in the SNESC. The only way you'll know it's there is by pressing Start+Select to open the emulator menu during a game you selected to be played with Retroarch. But if you DO want to have retroarch as an icon, then there's a mod you can download that will do that.

To install retroarch, just drag and drop the retroarch_cores zip on top of the hakchi window, it will ask you perform the 'hold reset and press power' step again, do so, and the retroarch codes you select will be added. To force a SNES game to load with retroarch, just add --retroarch at the end of the command-line area. Newer hakchis will detect games that don't work and will ask if you want to use an emulator (retroarch) to boot that specific game.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Retroarch will work automatically with problematic games, the only thing that won't work is rewind. You need to install Retroarch and SNES cores in the modules menu of Hackchi.

Edit: beat, and with a way better explanation too. Follow that post.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with a clean SimCity (US) cover please? Can't seem to find any good one around.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone with a clean SimCity (US) cover please? Can't seem to find any good one around.

There are plenty by googling.

*edit*
And a lot of fake ones. It's incredible how many "sealed" SNES games are on ebay with fake/custom boxarts.

Let me take one of the real ones and clean it up. You won't find high quality scans of the real ones, only custom/fake ones.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I tried to find a find a plain (Not Greatest Hit) US box but the ones I'm looking at don't look very clean, sadly.
I guess I could always try to remake one in a generic frame.

Here, I took one and cleaned the crease marks and darkened the blacks.

9nmIgjz.png

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So glad this thread migrated! Anyone got tips for thumbnail scrolling?

I replaced the small icons with sprites, and the cursor goes to off-screen thumbnails when I'm selecting games.

Edited in responses for anyone who has the same Q:
You have too many games per page. Limit your pages/folder to 35 games to avoid the thumbnails going off screen.

I opted to remove them. There's no negative side-effects if you do in the latest version of Hakchi.

Appreciate the help. I was hoping there was some workaround other than limiting the games, but it's easy to add/remove titles anyway.

Removing the thumbnails sounds like a pretty good idea too. I'll see how I like it.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So glad this thread migrated! Anyone got tips for thumbnail scrolling?

I replaced the small icons with sprites, and the cursor goes to off-screen thumbnails when I'm selecting games.

You have too many games per page. Limit your pages/folder to 35 games to avoid the thumbnails going off screen.

bishopcruz

Oct 25, 2017
I might have missed this, but I heard there was a way to install a mod so you can use buttons to get back to the home menu. Is this the case? I didn't see it anywhere.

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for making this!

There are still three games I haven't been able to find US style box art for. If anyone could make covers for these, that would be great.

Magical Quest 3 Starring Mickey and Donald
Fire Pro Wresting X Premium
Super Puyo Puyo 2

So glad this thread is alive and well!

Question, does anyone have a good live a live and mystic ark snes box art available?

I've done Live A Live, Magical Quest 3, Fire Pro Wresting X Premium, Super Puyo Puyo 2 US SNES boxes here : https://imgur.com/a/Ug8Oz (and a bunch of other hacks, translations and one homebrew)

I'll try a mystic ark over the weekend if you dont have one already and i get time

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's efforts. I'm really happy this is a thing and thanks to everyone who made the whole thing painless for dolts like me who aren't that tech savy (it's super easy). And those who provided awesome box arts for me to steal. Looking forward to posting. c:

maigau

Oct 27, 2017
How do I reflash without having to resync? Just flash the kernal in the latest hakchi and leave it at that?

Here's what I did to go from 2.20 to 2.21f:
(1) Copy your existing 'config', 'dump', 'games' and 'games_snes' folders to the latest Hakchi2 folder
(2) The list of games should appear exactly where you left them
(3) Run 'Flash Custom Kernel' and you're set

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up one of these today and immediately ran to this thread. It's super impressive how easy this tool makes the whole process. Automatically Googling for cover art was an unexpected but brilliant touch.

I have a Super Nt coming my way next year that I'm much more excited about, but this is a really cool thing to have. It's extremely portable, so even with an FPGA box around I can envision plenty of use cases for it. It's also pretty awesome to have two shiny, pristine, officially manufactured SNES controllers. My originals still work like the day I got 'em, but they're not exactly in mint condition.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'll try a mystic ark over the weekend if you dont have one already and i get time
I did one for myself for Mystic Ark. I couldn't find a clean version of the original box art that would crop decently to fit a SNES style box, so I used the artwork from the soundtrack CD.

mysticarkboxg4sys.png

https://abload.de/img/mysticarkboxg4sys.png

And since I have Imgur open, here's my Lennus II (Paladin's Quest II) art, too, in case anyone wants it.

lennusiiboxzzs6m.png

https://abload.de/img/lennusiiboxzzs6m.png

I might want to redo that since after I saved it, it dawned on me that the purple arrow on the box was used to point at the company's logo below on many official third-party boxes.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Play Mystic Ark with retroarch. With Canoe there's a C7 error on chapter 5 and you won't be able to complete the game.

Thora-G

Oct 27, 2017
Game Specific Fixes

While ideally we'd like hakchi to handle all the games, that sadly isn't the case. But a few members of this community and Reddit have figured out some little tricks to getting a few of the outliers working. This post will be about those........

There is also a Fix for Robotrek and for Soulblazer

SoulBlazer (FR): OUT first, patch the game in NTSC (HiROM to NTSC) then NTSC Anti-Region-Lock Patches, then look for the values 8D0D42, replace 8D by 9C which will give 9C0D42

and the fix for robotrek is the same method as ActRaiser 2 and Terranigma .

find the hexadecimal value 0A42000D42 which is followed by 01, replace 01 with 00 which will give 0A42000D4200 the game will work!

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
At first I was a little scared to hack my SNES Mini as I didn't want to lose my FFVI savefiles, but after reading enough about it I decided to do it anyway. This was really easy! Now I'm thinking about switching to Switch icons and setting up game specific borders. Not this weekend though as I'm going on an Odyssey.

munancho

Banned for suspected use of alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Robin64 - Thank you so much for bringing this thread over and all the effort/contributions in creating it in the first place.

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
Robin64 Thank you so much for this thread and all the work you have compiled. You and everyone else working on this have helped a great deal. I know kissing ass is half of what this new thread is so far, but I just had to get that out of the way.

Also is there a Reset Era version of the hack thread? I have a nice little list i'd like to link. Lastly, i've been making my own custom box art. I kinda straight up didn't want actual snes boxes and wanted nice official and fan art instead with a logo. Anyways, my collection thus far can be found HERE (feel free to quote or link or whatever)

Anyone managed to get Metroid - Phazon or Metroid - Super Zero Mission working? I've gotten many hacks up and working perfectly but these two I cannot. Crimson Echoes is obviously a no go too (or does it work with retroarch?)

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I did one for myself for Mystic Ark. I couldn't find a clean version of the original box art that would crop decently to fit a SNES style box, so I used the artwork from the soundtrack CD.

And since I have Imgur open, here's my Lennus II (Paladin's Quest II) art, too, in case anyone wants it.

I might want to redo that since after I saved it, it dawned on me that the purple arrow on the box was used to point at the company's logo below on many official third-party boxes.

For some reason I'm seeing these as IMG tags within quotes (i.e. I see no images at all). This isn't the first time I've seen this, is it something on my end, or a ResetEra kink that needs to be fixed, or...?

Does anyone have any info on BS Zelda? When I run it I get a black screen.

I asked a bit back if any BS titles work. I would love to get I Love Golf O.B. Club working.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if the snes classic can play the cd audio mod for ALTTP?
I would also like to know that.
It requires a special chip on real hardware and the native emulator (Canoe) obviously doesn't support it.
EDIT: don't know if Retroarch supports it, though. I wouldn't think so but that could change.
Anyways wouldn't one of the games eat up a substantial amount of memory space?

For some reason I'm seeing these as IMG tags within quotes (i.e. I see no images at all). This isn't the first time I've seen this, is it something on my end, or a ResetEra kink that needs to be fixed, or...?
Same. Started seeing it happen right after my account was activated. I'm wondering if the Dark Theme I installed just before then could be at fault but turning them off doesn't seem to do anything. Also only seems to occur w/ embedded or linked images that come from imgur.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Same. Started seeing it happen right after my account was activated. I'm wondering if the Dark Theme I installed just before then could be at fault but turning them off doesn't seem to do anything. Also only seems to occur w/ embedded or linked images that come from imgur.

After some research, it seems to be a known issue (and oddly enough, on imgur's part, which is blocking ResetEra):
https://www.resetera.com/threads/important-message-regarding-image-link.2007/

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Welp I'm here now! Hello ResetEra!

I noticed that the shared compatibility doc has a lot of entries about skipping sound or changing pitch, which I'm sure most were due to the now-fixed hakchi slowdown bug.

It'd be nice if the people who reported those could check again with the latest hakchi and update the doc if needed!

As for myself I added that Battletoads in Battlemaniacs has missing shadows for the snake bodies in the Snake Pit. Though most people will never actually see this since it's after the infamous bike tunnel level :P