• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Sorry if this is too off topic.
I'm considering getting a NES Classic as they are going out of production now. But unlike the SNES Classic the default emulator in the NES Classic is not that great. Is there any good alternative emulator one can use on it? I've read about some Retroarch cores like FCEUmm and NEstopia but I haven't been able to find a clear answer.
Not much point in getting a NES Classic if there's no good NES emulators on it.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry that this probably isn't the appropriate thread but it did seem relevant and showed up on the front page while I was looking (thanks demi!).

Does anyone have any controller "extensions" they would recommend or feel are high quality? I don't really care to play either my SNES or my new NES classics with the poor distance from my TV they force upon me... My wife recommended me these but looking on Amazon most get good reviews with the occasional people saying they just plain don't work or break quick, so none of them stand out as being best to me.

I bought these and I've had zero issues:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07114C4TL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
edit: my currently most-anticipated translation is probably the Super Famicom Goemon games. I loved Legend of the Mystical Ninja and I want to enjoy the other 3 games on that system.

You're gonna keep waiting then. Those won't be done in the next 10 years.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if this is too off topic.
I'm considering getting a NES Classic as they are going out of production now. But unlike the SNES Classic the default emulator in the NES Classic is not that great. Is there any good alternative emulator one can use on it? I've read about some Retroarch cores like FCEUmm and NEstopia but I haven't been able to find a clear answer.
Not much point in getting a NES Classic if there's no good NES emulators on it.

Everything you can put in the SNES Classic, you can put on the NES Classic. Retroarch already plays NES games, so no need to add additional cores unless you're the kind that adds every single romz dumpz.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Everything you can put in the SNES Classic, you can put on the NES Classic. Retroarch already plays NES games, so no need to add additional cores unless you're the kind that adds every single romz dumpz.
I know this.
What I was asking is if there are any better emulators / Retroach cores for playing NES games, since the built in one is not great. As I said I haven't been able to find a clear answer. Some say FCEUmm, some say NEstopia. But I've also read both have issues.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Try both and find out? With Retroarch there will be a lot of differing opinions considering theres like 20 different cores for the same system. #CanoeBoyz

Personally I think the NES emulator is great. Minor issues, but very usable. No problems here

Last edited:

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Wow didn't know about that super rad Ihatovo!
Is there any way to add more versions/iterations/with/without translations of the same game?

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Try both and find out? With Retroarch there will be a lot of differing opinions considering theres like 20 different cores for the same system. #CanoeBoyz

Personally I think the NES emulator is great. Minor issues, but very usable. No problems here
Well the point of me asking was to find an answer BEFORE buying one. As I said I don't see much point in getting a NES Classic if there's no good NES emulator on it.
Canoe is great, such a shame the NES Classic wasn't as lucky.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Well the point of me asking was to find an answer BEFORE buying one. As I said I don't see much point in getting a NES Classic if there's no good NES emulator on it.
Canoe is great, such a shame the NES Classic wasn't as lucky.

Ok? You clearly know you can run Retroarch on SNES Classic as well. Install both cores there and try before you buy? I don't know what you're trying to figure out here.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Ok? You clearly know you can run Retroarch on SNES Classic as well. Install both cores there and try before you buy? I don't know what you're trying to figure out here.
I was just wondering if anybody knowledgable on the subject knew of any better NES emulators. If you don't know the answer to the question why bother replying?

Last edited:

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
I know this.
What I was asking is if there are any better emulators / Retroach cores for playing NES games, since the built in one is not great. As I said I haven't been able to find a clear answer. Some say FCEUmm, some say NEstopia. But I've also read both have issues.

This is pure opinion, of course, but I have most of my NES games running in fceumm. I've found that a handful of them run better in Nestopia. And on the SNES Classic, at least, I have to run Arkanoid in quicknes because in fceumm and Nestopia the D-pad doesn't work (maybe it's expecting the dial-style controller?).

DDS says he's been receiving updates for Goemon 2 and is hoping for a 2019 release - but you know how these romhackers are

https://twitter.com/DDSTrans/status/1079448058528784385

Well, that's good to hear. I'm a patient person, though. I still "need" to play through Ganbare Goemon Gaiden 1 and 2 on the Famicom.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
I guess I'm lucky in that every NES game I wanted on my Classic runs in Kachikachi.

I just don't like kachikachi too much, and it's for reasons I fully admit are completely trivial: the slight sound lag in the Mega Man games, and the slightly different chain whip sound in Castlevania. I don't expect most people would be bothered by it. I don't even really play games on my NES Classic, though; I prefer to play on my SNES Classic with an SNES controller, with the NES's B button assigned to Y and the A button assigned to B.

I do prefer kachikachi's color palette over fceumm's default palette; fortunately that can be changed.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I know this.

every single problem game I had on the nes classic worked fine in fceumm, where other emulators would chug.. The non problem games I simply run in the default emulator.
What were the issues people described?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
every single problem game I had on the nes classic worked fine in fceumm, where other emulators would chug.. The non problem games I simply run in the default emulator.
What were the issues people described?

If you are referring to the NES Classic's emulator, people have issue with the audio timing / audio lag.

You can find more information here in this youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxek9ZD3Njw

Although it should be pointed out that some of their issues (like the epileptic filters) can be disabled via hakchi, you can also disable the "blurry" CRT while keeping scanlines, etc...

Last edited:

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, looks like he isn't a fan of this forum

He's... blocked me? I guess because I post in this thread? I've never had an interaction with him before.

In any case, lots of pressure on fan creators, so whatever he's working on, and how ever long it takes, it's important that other fans waiting on translations give space.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
For whatever reason I can't get my PC to recognize my SNES Classic. This is my second SNES Classic and I was able to hack the first one without issue and this one initially worked but it was not recognizing NES games so I tried to go through the steps again. Now it boots into a blank black screen and if I try to do anything in Hackchi it always says "Waiting on NES/SNES Classic..." and plugging it in multiple times, turning it off and on multiple times (while holding the reset buttons) doesn't work. Is my SNES Classic bricked somehow?

Edit: I think my PC/hackchi is now recognizing it. I deleted the drivers and made sure to use the USB cable that originally came with the SNES Classic and it seems to recognize it now. Hopefully, I can get the other issues worked out now.

Last edited:

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
For whatever reason I can't get my PC to recognize my SNES Classic. This is my second SNES Classic and I was able to hack the first one without issue and this one initially worked but it was not recognizing NES games so I tried to go through the steps again. Now it boots into a blank black screen and if I try to do anything in Hackchi it always says "Waiting on NES/SNES Classic..." and plugging it in multiple times, turning it off and on multiple times (while holding the reset buttons) doesn't work. Is my SNES Classic bricked somehow?

Edit: I think my PC/hackchi is now recognizing it. I deleted the drivers and made sure to use the USB cable that originally came with the SNES Classic and it seems to recognize it now. Hopefully, I can get the other issues worked out now.

Yeah, it can be pretty picky about the cable. I always advise people to use the original one if they can.

It's very hard to brick the system, though.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it can be pretty picky about the cable. I always advise people to use the original one if they can.

It's very hard to brick the system, though.

It does seem to be the cable as I finished up and tested it. Looks like everything is all good now. Glad I have the option of playing my SNES library via HDMI.

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
Being a time strapped gamer, im looking to play through levels casually...
Do people share save files?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Being a time strapped gamer, im looking to play through levels casually...
Do people share save files?

Not sure what you're specifically asking for. Pre-made save files? Completed files?

You'd have to ask if anyone has a save for a game available out there.

You can transfer saves from emulator to SNES Classic so you could make your own file if you wanted (example, starting an RPG with max level or money)

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
Not sure what you're specifically asking for. Pre-made save files? Completed files?

You'd have to ask if anyone has a save for a game available out there.

You can transfer saves from emulator to SNES Classic so you could make your own file if you wanted (example, starting an RPG with max level or money)

Thanks for the reply.

You raise a couple points which i wasnt aware of, that is Pre-made saves and emulator saves to SNES classic.
I have neither of these. As an example, what Im looking for is someones 100% DKC save file so I can load it up and play any level I want at any time.
So if I can get that save file, drop it in to the SNES mini save file directory, that what be sweet.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I'm just catching up on the OpenLara project, noting that he's now got two player split screen working for his Switch port - but going back through Timur's YouTube channel, I missed this from last May 2018:

I know this will be old news to those following religiously - but it's only got 2800 views so I figure some of you guys may not have seen it. Tomb Raider with the official SNES controller - so awesome and not at all what the hardware was intended for - I love it!

Project GitHub: https://github.com/XProger/OpenLara
Tomb Raider Forums thread: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=216618&page=100

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Yeah, there are a lot of neat things in there.

Ultimately, I still find myself playing SNES games the most on the system. It just feels right.

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
DarkAkuma seems to have shut down his site hosting SFROM Tool and all his patches, including the Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Star Ocean patches. Did anyone save them?

Robin64

Despite his pouting over "perfect dumps" his tool and those patches are required for these two games so we need to preserve them in some capacity at least.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
DarkAkuma seems to have shut down his site hosting SFROM Tool and all his patches, including the Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Star Ocean patches. Did anyone save them?

Robin64

Despite his pouting over "perfect dumps" his tool and those patches are required for these two games so we need to preserve them in some capacity at least.

Oh shit what happened? Did he get sent something by Nintendo's lawyers? :/

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit what happened? Did he get sent something by Nintendo's lawyers? :/

No, he just came to the conclusion that nobody cared about the tool or "clean games" / Canoe / Preset IDs and such. Which is largely true unfortunately.

It didnt help that the Hakchi team gave no shits either and pushed Retroarch more.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I believe I still have the patches.

Can you ask DarkAkuma if he's fine with me uploading the patches / program to my Google Drive for the sheet?
I think you still talk to him? If not, I will upload them to my Google Drive for people anyway.

I found Star Ocean patch, but his SFA2 / SFZ2 patches are hosted on his down site so can't use archive.org for them. I have the SFA2, just need SFZ2 (WUP-JCGJ)

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Just upload them, I am too. Given all I did relies on the program, no way am I letting it be unavailable any more.

And yeah, honestly, the most disappointing thing for me was how the Hakchi lot glomped on to Retroarch so hard. If they'd have put the effort into helping CANOEBOYZ work instead, we might have even more games working than we do now. And let's be honest here, of the US titles, not many don't work. But no, it seemed far more important to get N64 games running at 15fps than making it the best SNES system it could be.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, he just came to the conclusion that nobody cared about the tool or "clean games" / Canoe / Preset IDs and such. Which is largely true unfortunately.

It didnt help that the Hakchi team gave no shits either and pushed Retroarch more.

Dang. Well, I definitely appreciated it. None of my SNES Classic games are using Retroarch thanks to these efforts.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
While we were definitely in the minority, I wouldn't call it a wasted effort at all. The patch pack I host which is squarely designed for Canoe, and which requires SFROM Tool (and is only one method of getting/applying these patches), has been downloaded 6309 times. That's not an insignificant number.

Also, the Nintendo Online app on Switch which is just NES games right now also has mention of Canoe in the back end. Assuming Nintendo don't fix it for all of the games we have, we've already done the work.

As an aside, that Nintendo Online app mentions a third emulator on top of Kachikachi and Canoe, called Hiyoko. Anyone come across that term during Virtual Console shenanigans?

Edit: Also I've just shoved SFROM Tool into my files folder. http://www.robin64.co.uk/files/SFROM_Tool_v1.1.1.0.rar

Last edited:

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
This is a major bummer.

For what it's worth, I'm on the hakchi team, but I'm a relatively recent addition and I basically just do customer support and have nothing to do with coding. I'm one of the people in their Discord channel promoting the use of the SFROM Tool to patch games. I've got a nice little set of instructions I PM to people and everything...which I guess I'll have to alter now that the download link is gone.

I really like hakchi's integration of the SFROM Tool, but it's not perfect. It doesn't work with DarkAkuma's Star Ocean patch -- you have to do that one with the SFROM Tool outside of hakchi.

I had been thinking recently of downloading all of the patches on DarkAkuma's site, even if I was never going to use them, but I've been busy with other stuff. Ugh.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Can you please upload Street Fighter Zero 2 file Robin (WUP-JCGJ-SDA) if you have it? I dont care about PAL version personally but JPN I would like to add.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
This is a major bummer.

For what it's worth, I'm on the hakchi team, but I'm a relatively recent addition and I basically just do customer support and have nothing to do with coding. I'm one of the people in their Discord channel promoting the use of the SFROM Tool to patch games. I've got a nice little set of instructions I PM to people and everything...which I guess I'll have to alter now that the download link is gone.

I really like hakchi's integration of the SFROM Tool, but it's not perfect. It doesn't work with DarkAkuma's Star Ocean patch -- you have to do that one with the SFROM Tool outside of hakchi.

I had been thinking recently of downloading all of the patches on DarkAkuma's site, even if I was never going to use them, but I've been busy with other stuff. Ugh.

Why is there no link to any sheets or information about Canoe, SFROM Tool, etc on their wiki or on the /r/minisnesmods sidebar? It's clearly a useful resource but there's no acknowledgement about it.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Why is there no link to any sheets or information about Canoe, SFROM Tool, etc on their wiki or on the /r/minisnesmods sidebar? It's clearly a useful resource but there's no acknowledgement about it.

I don't have any good answers for you there. :( I had been intending to add a page about the SFROM Tool to the new ModMyClassic wiki, but real life stuff has been intervening on that front and I haven't contributed anything at all to the wiki yet.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
[–]DarkAkuma 1 point 4 minutes ago
I'm sorry. There was a mix up and my domain name was down is all. Things should be back up soon.

[–]DarkAkuma 1 point 2 minutes ago
While I have no doubt those were my words, as they seem familiar, I don't know where that quote is from, and what they express is not the case right now. My domain name was simply down due to a mix up is all.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
That's good. I'll put everything back then when the domain is sorted out. Would be a good idea to backup the files as well in case something really does happen though.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Has there been any update on the RetroArch side to bring input lag in line with Canoe on the SNES Classic? Last I heard libraries native to the SNES Classic were being made but I haven't seen anything since...