• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Latest from DarkAkuma:

SFROM Tool is NOT canceled, nor are the patches. At the most, the projects are "on the shelf" due to not having much to do with them. In fact, for the first time in around 9 months I happen to be working on some SNESClassic related stuff that could lead to an update.

There was an issue with his website, and, for some reason, the cache brought forward an old file with a message from just after SFROM Tool's launch.

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is a SNES Classic hacking thread, but I just made a discovery (i think?) about the N3DS SNES Virtual Console.

If any of you also play SNES games on your N3DS, please be aware the Asdolo's Ultimate Injector doesn't create proper files.

In the past, I've tried to get Secret Of Evermore working properly on my N3DS, but it was always missing sound during the intro.

On the SNES Classic, I know that preset id 0x10EF fixes the sound problems.

Although Asdolo's program prompts for a preset ID, it is not used when creating the rom's 96-byte header. It always uses 0x1011 (Super Mario World) in the rom's header.

I manually edited the preset ID in the rom's header and now it's working as intended! Sound and all.
https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_Virtual_Console#data.bin_structure

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes the 3DS uses the same emulator afaik. I recall people reporting that sluffy's patches work on there as well. But there isnt a "SFROM Tool" for 3DS, and I'm unfamiliar with the process on that device.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yeah, I always felt our work on Canoe on the SNES Mini could translate back on to the 3DS. Probably best to use the Mario RPG VC release, too, to inject into. I can see that one having the most support. Maybe Star Ocean could even work.

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still on 2.2, what's the best option to upgrade to 3.5? Should I restore the Classic and start fresh or is there a simple upgrade option like upgrading your phone OS?

-nevermind, got it-

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what you're specifically asking for. Pre-made save files? Completed files?

You'd have to ask if anyone has a save for a game available out there.

You can transfer saves from emulator to SNES Classic so you could make your own file if you wanted (example, starting an RPG with max level or money)

How would one go about that?

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Looks like some of the Canoe stuff that went on here (sluffy and DarkAkuma etc.) might be useful when Nintendo finally releases SNES games on the Switch. I haven't been up to date in this forum for a while, so apologies if this was already mentioned, but there were notes about Canoe inside the code that was leaked relating to the Nintendo Entertainment System app on the Switch. If one day I hack my Switch, I'll be very happy to copy over all those SFROMs I worked on for the SNES classic.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As games go I'm totally satisfied, currently trying to finish Terranigma. That game's got some maze-like dungeons so it gets a bit frustrating.

But I wanted to ask if any modders had managed to pull off any of the following features:

1. Make it so that custom menu music doesn't restart every time you soft reset or switch folders (my most wanted feature, not sure if it's doable)

2. Increase the limit on custom borders. Alternatively what's the most up-to-date site collecting them? I might switch a few out, but I wish I could just add more

3. I also saw that someone created a theme randomizer for the scrolling background in the main menu, so I wanted to know if there was a site that collected user-made backgrounds as well.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
A stupid question regarding borders/overlays on retroarch:

On the nes mini when I use retroarch for gameboy, master system, etc when I choose my border, the next time I open up another gameboy game retroarch automatically remembers the overlay BUT when I use retroarch for nes, it doesn't remember what border I used. Somebody know why?

DarkAkuma

Jan 23, 2018
I forgot about this thread when I was made aware of the domain issue. I only just remembered and came by to check.

Someone like Robin should have contacted me for clarification before spreading any rumors. Please do that In the future at least.

As far as the development of sfrom Tool goes, it's just as I said on reddit. I'd be willing to work on sfrom Tool more, but there's not much left to do. Just a couple minor things that don't seem worthy of a release by themselves.

Yeah, I always felt our work on Canoe on the SNES Mini could translate back on to the 3DS. Probably best to use the Mario RPG VC release, too, to inject into. I can see that one having the most support. Maybe Star Ocean could even work.

Yea. As far as 3DS, WiiU, and maybe Switch emulation goes, sluffys patches, and my work should translate in some way to those platforms. I've always figured SMRPG would be the best to use because it was one of the last released on WiiU, meaning its internal emu is probably closest to canoe and thus the most compatible.

In fact, a big part of the reason sfrom Tool exists as a separate exe to hakchi2 is because I wanted to leave it open for me to someday expand it as a tool to convert between and output VC files too, since there's such a relation. After I finish my current task I might just move onto that.

Speaking of the current task, which I also alluded to on reddit. What I'm working on right now is PCM audio. The existing PCM reinsertion tools are flawed in their output. They don't understand and read PCM data correctly even if the flaws were addressed. They don't deal with the .var data at all. And well, personally I'd just kind of like a tool to make PCM audio too. Just for the sake of completeness, entertaining myself, and well to better understand how to reinsert it accurately I find it helpful know how to create it in the first place. At best, maybe I can eliminate the PCM patches entirely and optionally generate the data on the fly in sfrom Tool.

ATM I'm progressing quite well! The PCM reinsertion side of things might be the closest to finished. The PCM extraction... I still have 1 or 2 mysteries to solve first...

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Having an issue where GBA games are not keeping their saves. I'll save a game, restart it later, and the save doesn't exist. Only save states seem to work, and I don't get the "this save state will overwrite your save" message either (this might be related, dunno).

I tried switching the core to mGBA, and it seemed to work, but shortly after the problem cropped up again. Trying to solve this issue but I'm not sure what to do.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Finally managed to get Terranigma and Chrono Trigger on my SNES Mini, using Virtual Box to simulate Windows on MacBook Air. (Even own both games physically)

Thanks Robin64 :)

The SNES couldn't connect at first, so I had to add a third USB device to Virtual Box named "hakchi classic [0233]" while it was trying to connect, that solved it. Now it works wonderfully :)

megaStryke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
California
UPDATE: Problem solved! All I had to do was change the region from "auto" to NTSC. No idea why that does the trick, but there ya go.

So I decided to put Castlevania Chronicles on my SNES Classic, but immediately after it loads, I get a message that states, "There is no saved data. End load operations?" followd by a "Yes / No" prompt. No matter which answer I select, the same error message repeats infinitely. Is there some kind of trickery I can do to bypass this screen? Change the save data location or something?

Last edited:

Runwhiteboyrun

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I decided to put Castlevania Chronicles on my SNES Classic, but immediately after it loads, I get a message that states, "There is no saved data. End load operations?" followd by a "Yes / No" prompt. No matter which answer I select, the same error message repeats infinitely. Is there some kind of trickery I can do to bypass this screen? Change the save data location or something?

Hopefully this doesn't come off as a stupid question, but is this one of the games that has the X and O buttons swapped?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Bosco82

Hey boss, do you happen to have the patch for [Funaki Masakatsu Hybrid Wrestler - Tougi Denshou], I missed this unfortunately. It should be called [funaki1.ips]

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
UPDATE: Problem solved! All I had to do was change the region from "auto" to NTSC. No idea why that does the trick, but there ya go.

While I see you already fixed your issue, I've seen people with similar issues in other PS1 games and it turned out they didn't have the PS1 bios installed. A lot of games run fine without the bios, but some will crash at one point or another or just say something about there being no memory card inserted.

megaStryke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
California
While I see you already fixed your issue, I've seen people with similar issues in other PS1 games and it turned out they didn't have the PS1 bios installed. A lot of games run fine without the bios, but some will crash at one point or another or just say something about there being no memory card inserted.
All the BIOS files were indeed installed.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Has anyone tried this? It sounds like a neat idea and supposedly works with the SNES Classic. But it seems you need to have the system connected online, which itself doesn't sound like it would be difficult to do.

But that would involve investing in a wifi adapter and cable to hold two USB slots (one for the wifi, one for the external storage), so I was wondering if it was worth it.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Has anyone tried this? It sounds like a neat idea and supposedly works with the SNES Classic. But it seems you need to have the system connected online, which itself doesn't sound like it would be difficult to do.

But that would involve investing in a wifi adapter and cable to hold two USB slots (one for the wifi, one for the external storage), so I was wondering if it was worth it.

Mine is set up this way and it was relatively painless. I'm using this wifi adapter and this OTG and everything works great. Cost comes to about $20, but you'll want the OTG anyway if you ever want to do things like external storage or USB controllers.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mine is set up this way and it was relatively painless. I'm using this wifi adapter and this OTG and everything works great. Cost comes to about $20, but you'll want the OTG anyway if you ever want to do things like external storage or USB controllers.

And the achievements totally work like normal? You can just launch the games the normal way (through the SNES thumbnails) and it'll automatically load up the achievements for said game?

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
And the achievements totally work like normal? You can just launch the games the normal way (through the SNES thumbnails) and it'll automatically load up the achievements for said game?

Yep, though obviously you have to have them running through Retroarch and not Canoe. But otherwise, once it's set up and you're logged in, they work how you would want them to across platforms, as long as you're using a supported core.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, though obviously you have to have them running through Retroarch and not Canoe. But otherwise, once it's set up and you're logged in, they work how you would want them to across platforms, as long as you're using a supported core.

Yeah, that's the only bummer: majority of my games run on Canoe, and I haven't kept up on whether the SNES cores on Retroarch are finally 100% input-lag free (seems 9x is the most popular one).

This is still a neat thing to keep in mind of down the road, though. All my games on the NES Mini use Retroarch since the base hardware has an audio delay, so I could probably get achievements set up on that.

Speaking of cores, thanks to the Discord I was able to learn a couple of things regarding GBA games on the SNES Classic:

mGBA is the overall best core to use, but it may cause some audio issues with some games.

For that, gbSP is an even better core performance-wise, but save states don't work properly (could cause crashes). So you'd have to stick to the save states Retroarch uses or just stick to internal saves.

Thought you should know, because as far as I can tell this is the best way to experience GBA games off a big TV (better controller, better color vs Wii U GBA games, etc).

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Yeah, not being able to get achievements in SNES games because I prefer Canoe kind of sucks. On the other hand, I've got plenty of non-SNES games on my SNES Classic as well. I'm actually getting a wifi adapter tomorrow and will hopefully be able to set up achievements relatively easily. I tested them out on my PC with Retroarch and it seems pretty straightforward.

I have also heard from others in the Discord that you can use the wifi adapter to give you system clock functionality for any games that might use that.

One other thing about gpSP: it will not work unless you also have the GBA bios installed.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One thing I would like to get soon is an HDMI switcher that can be programmed with a Logitech universal remote but can also power on the SNES and NES Mini as if they were plugged directly into the TV.

If it drops low enough I'm looking to invest in a PSX Classic (modded of course), and if it turns out good then the Genesis Classic as well whenever that comes out. I would like to have all the minis connected to one HDMI switch to save space, so if anyone's got any affordable (as in "cheap but works"), let me know.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Shoutout to Kyland (KMFDManiac) for recommending people use Canoe for SuperFX games #CANOEBOYZ2019

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
One thing I would like to get soon is an HDMI switcher that can be programmed with a Logitech universal remote but can also power on the SNES and NES Mini as if they were plugged directly into the TV.

If it drops low enough I'm looking to invest in a PSX Classic (modded of course), and if it turns out good then the Genesis Classic as well whenever that comes out. I would like to have all the minis connected to one HDMI switch to save space, so if anyone's got any affordable (as in "cheap but works"), let me know.

On the subject of HDMI switches, be aware that you always want to use a powered switch with a hacked NES/SNES Classic. The cheaper ones out there rely on the active device to power it, and the NES/SNES Classic cannot supply enough power and will shut off.

DarkAkuma

Jan 23, 2018
Shoutout to Kyland (KMFDManiac) for recommending people use Canoe for SuperFX games #CANOEBOYZ2019

Yea. He did that mostly to be supportive of my work. He's always been really great about stuff like that, despite us following very different paths in the SNES Classic modding scene, and me never asking him to do it.

He's been more hyped about finding a reason to point people towards my work and canoe than normal lately, after that scare happened last month with all the misinformation when my domain name was down. That "i give up" stuff, while he knows was just a mistake from the first few weeks when I released sfrom tool, is still effecting him like it was true and modern regardless, driving him to want to make some shoutouts.

He's a really cool nice guy, and I'm very appreciative of him, his conversations, and support!

Heck, he makes me feel like he somehow might even be more stoked than I am for whats going on with my PCM audio research work. Seeing as my last post here mentioning that work was as popular as a wet fart, I find it particularly funny since it should be amazing that anyone besides myself gives a damn about it at all. lol

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
DarkAkuma.... long time no chat. I noticed you updated SFROM tool very recently. Great work, and thanks as always!

I am trying to consolidate my SNES roms, and realise that I haven't been a great house keeper. I have a fantastic collection of SFROMS, convert through SFROM Tool to run on Canoe, with Robin64's patches etc. Many of those SFROMs were also pre-patched .sfc or .smc files. Thing is, I didn't keep a backup of all the patched .sfc and .smc files as I was converting them to SFROM.

Is there an easy way to convert all my SFROMs back to their original form? I assume it would just be a reversal of SFROM tool. Perhaps there is a command line in the SFROM Tool backend could use to do it? Especially a batch method would be incredible.

Any help much appreciated. Thankyou!

DarkAkuma

Jan 23, 2018
DarkAkuma.... long time no chat. I noticed you updated SFROM tool very recently. Great work, and thanks as always!

I am trying to consolidate my SNES roms, and realise that I haven't been a great house keeper. I have a fantastic collection of SFROMS, convert through SFROM Tool to run on Canoe, with Robin64's patches etc. Many of those SFROMs were also pre-patched .sfc or .smc files. Thing is, I didn't keep a backup of all the patched .sfc and .smc files as I was converting them to SFROM.

Is there an easy way to convert all my SFROMs back to their original form? I assume it would just be a reversal of SFROM tool. Perhaps there is a command line in the SFROM Tool backend could use to do it? Especially a batch method would be incredible.

Any help much appreciated. Thankyou!

SFROM Tool does not do anything like create any undo-patches, which would be required to restore ROMs to exactly as they were before being converted to .sfrom.

I thought I added an "Extra" option into SFROM Tool to extract the .sfc/.smc/.rom out of a loaded .sfrom, but I guess I didn't. I do know I whipped up a quick console app to do that at some point. sfrom2sfc. I believe I just posted it on a couple random reddit posts, but not anywhere more widely knowable and official. I thought I merged that code into SFROM Tool, but guess I didn't. Wonder why...

Anyway. That will simply extract the ROM out of a .sfrom (.pcm/.var too). It of course won't undo any patching done to that ROM. I mostly just made it for people to extract the ROM out of their SNESClassic consoles 21 stock ROMs, not un-officially generated ones. But there's no reason it shouldn't work with all .sfrom's regardless. At the most, maybe it won't extract .sda data or read SFA2/SO properly, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Last edited:

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
It's been a long while since I first set up my SNES Classic (until updating just now, I was running hakchi v1.2.5, and see that we're now up to v3.5.3), and I know that there were issues with Terranigma and Illusion of Gaia - but I think that I've read that these have now been fixed? Certainly the compatibility spreadsheet suggests so. However, I'm clearly doing something wrong - I just get a black screen after the initial splash for Terranigma, while Illusion of Gaia has no music. Is anyone able to summarise what I need to be doing to get these to work? I've already updated the kernel on my system to the latest version. Thanks!

demi

Oct 27, 2017
You need to patch the games. Do it manually or use the SFROM Tool + Patches to accomplish this

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
It sounds like there are "problem games", which is unappealing. What is the most easy-to-follow guide? Will I need extra hardware (memstick etc?).

Edit: You know what, a lot of this is in the OP. I'll just re-read it.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Most of us in this thread will recommend you stick with Canoe (the built in emulator) and use this only for SNES games. At this point, there aren't many games that don't work, especially if you stick to the US list.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like there are "problem games", which is unappealing. What is the most easy-to-follow guide? Will I need extra hardware (memstick etc?).

Edit: You know what, a lot of this is in the OP. I'll just re-read it.

The "problem games" refer to the internal nintendo emulator "Canoe" I think the one in OP post links to Robin's version but I help maintain one as well here to help explain the issues each game may have and if there is a "fix" for said game.

Alternatively you can ignore all this and install Retroarch and just use SNES9X instead. But one of the selling points of the internal emulator is its low input lag compared to Retroarch. YMMV

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most of us in this thread will recommend you stick with Canoe (the built in emulator) and use this only for SNES games. At this point, there aren't many games that don't work, especially if you stick to the US list.

Is there an updated list on compatible/patched/still incompatible games?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Both in the OP are still kept up to date. Mine if you use SFROM Tool, the other if you don't.

Missed that in the OP, thanks.

Bummer that there doesn't seem to be a resource that collects all the custom borders people created (unless they just stopped making them). Would've loved to replace a few of the ones I've grown bored of.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for this ignorant post - how easy, out of the box, is this thing to hack and stick a bunch more SNES games on?
I bought mine a few weeks ago, and hacked it in a single night (I had hacked a friend's NES Classic before, so I knew a little about Hakchi). After following some guides, I also got it working with a USB flash drive and PS3 controller (wired). It's not really complicated, and it's fun to mess with the little console.

This is all great. Thanks. I'll pick one up at the weekend. I will stick with the internal emulator, I like the UI.
Games running with different emulators still launch from the regular UI. No matter the console or emulator, they appear in the menu just like the original SNES games.