• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought my classic... So 2.21f is the way to go?

It's preference. I prefer it because I only use my SNES for SNES games, with the internal emulator.

If you want to play other games, use USB Storage, Retroarch, RetroAchievements, etc, use the latest CE version.

But again it's preference. CE is a good product and will do you fine.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Just bought my classic... So 2.21f is the way to go?

Depends on what you want. Are you only going to be playing NES or SNES games (you didn't specify which classic you got)? If so, that version might be all you need. Get some of the patches from the various compatibility sheets out there and you'll be good to go!

hakchi CE is great if you're going to put Retroarch on there and a bunch of other emulators. It's much easier to change emulator cores. It backs up your original kernel to a part of the internal memory so you don't have to back it up later. But it adds a bootup splash screen that many don't like (which you can change), along with a few seconds' longer bootup time. Many people who have used both 2.21f and CE say that the load times when you switch to another folder are longer in CE.

I personally haven't used hakchi 2.xx in over a year and don't really remember the differences. I find hakchi CE to be more user friendly in general and when I made the jump last year, I didn't look back. I'll let others make their points in favor of 2.21f.

arkiokin

Jul 15, 2018
I also use 2.21f, and it's also because I only play SNES games on my SNESC and I don't want to use an extra storage mod. However, I tested each version of CE, when a newer was each time released, and honestly, each time, each CE version had some major defaults (for me) too annoying to keep with it, and where 2.21f was largely better on the points of interest for my own...At least until CE 3.5.2 : you can notice this version has corrected the longer time when you switch between folders, even if it's yet longer than 2.21f (but pretty not noticeable, less than 0.5 seconds)
But, yes, because of the splash screen, the boot up time is 3~4 seconds longer. Nevertheless, I personally added my own splash screen with 2.21f, so I have now the same boot time it is with 3.5.2

However, I will keep playing with 2.21f because this version has proved (for the dozen of games I finished at 100%) that it is a very reliable version : never UI or TV display glitches, none issues when adding/removing games, changing covers, even when you do it hundreds of time (for my own games testing/cover restoration work testing etc..), that was not the case when I tested "not so old CE" versions, and I have not the same feedback with 3.5.2.
More than that, you can't use the extra 50MB mod with 3.5.2, whereas is a good thing to use with 2.21f (with the save states compression mod), when you want more than 180 games on the internal storage. So, for a few more games you need to use a USB storage solution with CE, whereas it should be not the case with 2.21f.
And finally, as I have also the possibility to have a splash screen with 2.21f and should change the original 21 games covers, this is for me all I need to have my own "perfect" improved SNESC, no need more

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Quick question. If I use SNES controllers on an NES mini, which buttons does it use for B and A? SNES's Y+B or B+A?
Any difference for an SNES mini playing NES games?

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Quick question. If I use SNES controllers on an NES mini, which buttons does it use for B and A? SNES's Y+B or B+A?
Any difference for an SNES mini playing NES games?

If you use an SNES controller on an NES mini, it'll use B and B for A and A. There's an hmod you can install to change these buttons available here.

An SNES mini playing NES games will also use the same buttons, but if you're using Retroarch (as opposed to dual booting to use kachikachi) you can just go into the Retroarch menu and change the buttons that way.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What did it say exactly?

Are you sure you are using the latest version (3.5.2)? I opened mine and I didn't get any message.

Are you sure you're not talking about the mod to fix the problem when you get stuck during boot time?

Last edited:

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
I think 3.5.2 was the update that had the hotfix for slow boots, but it probably only fixed things to a point? It definitely fixed boot times for me by a good amount. Prior to 3.5.2, my system (using a USB drive) took 25-30 seconds to boot. Afterwards, it's down to about 10-15 seconds.

There is a hakchi CE 3.6.0 Release Candidate currently available through KMFDManic's core set, I believe. I haven't tried it out myself yet.

Deleted member 55883

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 11, 2019
Hi Robin64

I'm trying to use the sfrom tool with your patches to fix some games. In particular the graphical issue in Final Fantasy Mystic Quest as this was very noticeable to me when playing and your fix sounds great.

I have tested with Hakchi CE latest version, and also just running the sfrom tool individually.

When it asks me to select patch, nothing appears, shown here.... https://ibb.co/2vkDdG9

Do you have any guidance please on how I can get your patches going? Many Thanks for your hard work.

Deleted member 3862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On a lot of my ROMs, when I pull them up in the SFROM tool there's just gibberish. I'm not sure if these are bad dumps. They work on various SNES retroarch cores, but not on the SNES Classic.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
SNES Classic (Canoe at least) and particularly DarkAkuma's SFROM Tool is picky about clean / unheadered dumps, you might have headers on your files.

Retroarch is basically SNES9X which can handle various dumps and headers and whatnot.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yeah, Retroarch cores generally don't give two hoots about the integrity of your ROM, as long as game data is present.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
More gooder

Edit: maybe a little off topic, but I loaded my SNES classic with a ton of games and yet the second game I beat on it (first being StarFox 2) was Yoshi's Island.

AND HOLY SHIT does that game hold out amazingly well to this day. It's truly a masterpiece of game design, still fresh and fun to play decades later. I'll go ahead and say that it puts most current gen AAA games to shame in terms of sheer fun and creativity. Oh and the music *drool*

Deleted member 3862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way I can modify or clean up those files to get them to run on Canoe? If not I guess I can just throw Retroarch on there.

Deleted member 3862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got the roms working on the classic now thanks to the helpful members here. Next up, see if I can handle adding some translation patches.

I really want to play things like Bahamut Lagoon and Seiken Densetsu 3 that I haven't had a chance to play since they never came out here. I might have to look into the state of the Fire Emblem patches as well.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Got the roms working on the classic now thanks to the helpful members here. Next up, see if I can handle adding some translation patches.

I really want to play things like Bahamut Lagoon and Seiken Densetsu 3 that I haven't had a chance to play since they never came out here. I might have to look into the state of the Fire Emblem patches as well.

All that info is at romhacking.net

If you're using the built-in emulator here is a compatibility sheet on translations and such -> link

If you're using Retroarch it should run anything you throw at it without issue (since again it's just SNES9X)

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
I got a new Pc and lost my games in the old one. I'd there any way to import the current classic mini games to another Pc? I also run dual boot. Or what is the best way to demod it?

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
I got a new Pc and lost my games in the old one. I'd there any way to import the current classic mini games to another Pc? I also run dual boot. Or what is the best way to demod it?
A straight export from the mini through hakchi isn't possible. BUT you can FTP into the machine and copy all the CLV folders over yourself. (I am not sure of the location of these on the machine, but it should be easy to find out... it used to be /usr/share/games/ but I am not sure if that is valid anymore with latest hakchiCE). Once you have all the CLV folders, with their contents, install a new version of hakchi and just drag over these folders into the games_snes folder. When you load hakchi they should be in there as they were before (though your folder setup will have gone).

If you don't want to do that, then demodding and remodding is pretty easy, but because you don't have the original dump of your Classic's firmware, you will have to find a copy of this *somewhere* else. After you have this, just start again. If you plug in your machine to a new version of hakchi, you can easily backup all your old save games.

I resisted using an external USB for ages, but it does make changing games a lot easier, and because you effectively run hakchi from the USB itself, it is its own backup. Saves a lot of time and hassle in the long run.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Managed to mod mine by watching YouTube videos, easy enough. But what I really want to do is add a psx emu to play ff tactics. The game itself is larger than the internal memory of the console. How do I go about doing this? How do I add more storage space?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
You need to use a USB source, that's your only option short of doing the SD Card internal mod (requires soldering)

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
A straight export from the mini through hakchi isn't possible. BUT you can FTP into the machine and copy all the CLV folders over yourself. (I am not sure of the location of these on the machine, but it should be easy to find out... it used to be /usr/share/games/ but I am not sure if that is valid anymore with latest hakchiCE). Once you have all the CLV folders, with their contents, install a new version of hakchi and just drag over these folders into the games_snes folder. When you load hakchi they should be in there as they were before (though your folder setup will have gone).

If you don't want to do that, then demodding and remodding is pretty easy, but because you don't have the original dump of your Classic's firmware, you will have to find a copy of this *somewhere* else. After you have this, just start again. If you plug in your machine to a new version of hakchi, you can easily backup all your old save games.

I resisted using an external USB for ages, but it does make changing games a lot easier, and because you effectively run hakchi from the USB itself, it is its own backup. Saves a lot of time and hassle in the long run.

Thanks man

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
You need to use a USB source, that's your only option short of doing the SD Card internal mod (requires soldering)
how do i do that when the only usb port on the device is used for powering it? is there some splitter i can buy? then im assuming id just use a regular thumb drive to plug into that splitter?

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
sweet, found some that people have confirmed to work. what about my wireless controller? would that work without any issues with a psx emulator?

I assume it's a wireless controller that's currently working with your SNES Classic? If so, it should work, assuming it has enough buttons to play PS1 games. Some PS1 games don't need L2 and R2 and can be played with an SNES controller.

That being said, there have been people using the 8bitdo wireless receiver who have issues with L1 and R1 being replicated onto L2 and R2, and the solution seems to involve putting older firmware on the receiver. I don't know too much about it, but it's something to be aware of.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018

Just a heads up: that angled adapter does work and looks nice, but a lot of people have had issues with it (including myself) in that it's very touchy. If it's not plugged into the back of the NES/SNES Classic completely straight, it'll still supply power but not a data connection. I dealt with watching my games/folder icons suddenly becoming inaccessible for about a month before getting sick of that and switching to something more reliable.

I now use this Inateck adapter. The only big downside to the Inateck is that you have to use its power cable instead of the NES/SNES Classic's USB cable, and it's only about a foot long. You can even use an SD card in it. I've currently got a 256 GB SDXC in mine.

If you want something simpler, there's also this OTG.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
I have the angled OTG, bought from eBay I think, and it works fine. I also have the Inateck thing. That definitely feels more sturdy, but you will need a usb extension cord for the power.

Another benefit of the Inateck is that it allows you to setup more than 2 controllers for multiplayer (through retroarch ONLY). It's a little bit fiddly, but once you have it working it's super fun.

I managed to get a 5 controller game of Bomberman 5 running using the two SNES Classic controllers, 2 8bitdo controllers + receivers, and a Mayflash usb receiver I had lying around synced to a Switch controller.

If you have any 8bitdo receiver, you can plug it in to the hub via its micro usb port (using the bundled mini cable) and it syncs as if it was plugged in normally.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. They can bicker over CE but over on 2.21f island we're just living peacefully :cool:

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Yeah well the comment the dude had about if you set up your mini and use it on any other PC or any other installation, and you want to add/edit/anything, you have to start over... he's not wrong about the inconvenience.

meaulnes

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to bump for a very silly question, I could not find a concrete answer for this ...

Recently I hacked my SNES Classic for the first time using 2.21f, added the games I wanted etc, ... all seems to work great.
Now I want to add a few more games; I understand that this implies resync of all the games I already added, correct? my question is, what happens to battery saves and to savestates that I have on the SNES when I resync with Hakchi?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing, they will still be on there. You can view saves/states using the Save Manager function on Hakchi.