• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

durrTK

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming I haven't updated mine since hakchi 2.2f a few years ago, what's the best way to go about getting the latest hakchi2 version? I understand that 3.5.3 is the latest one. I wouldnt mind losing everything if it meant starting over.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Assuming I haven't updated mine since hakchi 2.2f a few years ago, what's the best way to go about getting the latest hakchi2 version? I understand that 3.5.3 is the latest one. I wouldnt mind losing everything if it meant starting over.

3.5 is Hakchi CE, it's completely different from Hakchi2.

If you just want to play games, you don't need to update. HakchiCE is much slower to boot and the new retroarch is also slower to load games. Unless you want a newer retroarch, or the USB host ability, then you don't really need to update it.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018

It's a bit of a process, and as ReyVGM said, you might consider keeping 2.21f if your stuff is running fine and you're not planning on using newer Retroarch stuff or USB drives.

With that in mind, this is a pretty good guide to upgrading to CE: https://snesclassicmods.com/how-to-switch-from-hakchi2-to-hakchi2-ce/

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
WARNING to retroarch users. Unisntalling and reinstalling retroarch can corrupt your main menu save files even if its the same version of retroarch. I can confirm that the actual save file from the rom are not affected. I have not tested retroarch save states. So to be on the safe side I always use 3 save system

-Native saves from the game if available
-Save state from retroarch if retroarch is used
-snes mini main menu save

I setup a usb drive with games and for troubleshooting an issue I unsinstalled and reinstalled retroarch. All my main menu saves were corrupted including snes games I used canoe for (which is weird)
But only my external drive was affected. If I boot the snes mini without it, everything works fine including all my saves stored on the actual snes mini. Only the ones that were on the usb drive were affected.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
WARNING to retroarch users. Unisntalling and reinstalling retroarch can corrupt your main menu save files even if its the same version of retroarch. I can confirm that the actual save file from the rom are not affected. I have not tested retroarch save states. So to be on the safe side I always use 3 save system

-Native saves from the game if available
-Save state from retroarch if retroarch is used
-snes mini main menu save

I setup a usb drive with games and for troubleshooting an issue I unsinstalled and reinstalled retroarch. All my main menu saves were corrupted including snes games I used canoe for (which is weird)
But only my external drive was affected. If I boot the snes mini without it, everything works fine including all my saves stored on the actual snes mini. Only the ones that were on the usb drive were affected.

Hmm. I've updated/reinstalled Retroarch several times and have never run into this. That's a weird one.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I tested it with 0000 just now and didn't notice any weirdness either. I didn't play through a whole battle, but I started a new game as well as loaded up my previous save.

Great thanks. The reason why I want to test 0000 is just to make sure that the game works fine out of the box, since we don't specifically understand what that Preset ID even does or if it's required.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I'm relatively new to using PSX games on this thing, and I saw online that it only reads ISO files. In ripping my PSX games, Imgburn will only put some (for instance, Die Hard Trilogy) into a BIN format. How do I convert that to a file that Retroarch can read?

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
I'm relatively new to using PSX games on this thing, and I saw online that it only reads ISO files. In ripping my PSX games, Imgburn will only put some (for instance, Die Hard Trilogy) into a BIN format. How do I convert that to a file that Retroarch can read?

That's not true. It works fine with bin/cue files. If you're using hakchi CE, you can just add the .cue file and it'll automatically import the .bin file from the same location. Then you just set it to the proper PS1 core and make sure the compression box isn't checked and you should be good to go.

DAREALGUMMY

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone help me out with some text issues? Some titles are missing letters on the menu. I have the fount remount zip but Hakchi won't recognize the folders when I place them in the user mod folder.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
That's not true. It works fine with bin/cue files. If you're using hakchi CE, you can just add the .cue file and it'll automatically import the .bin file from the same location. Then you just set it to the proper PS1 core and make sure the compression box isn't checked and you should be good to go.
Psx runs well on snes mini?? I thought it was bad?

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Psx runs well on snes mini?? I thought it was bad?

Most PS1 games run fine. I think some of the 3D ones don't run as well. Last year I played through the Japanese version of Symphony of the Night with a fan translation applied to it and it ran perfectly except for when you die. The audio gets a little stuttery. But that lasts for 5 seconds, then everything is back to normal.

Maybe you're getting mixed up with PSP games? Most of those don't run well.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Most PS1 games run fine. I think some of the 3D ones don't run as well. Last year I played through the Japanese version of Symphony of the Night with a fan translation applied to it and it ran perfectly except for when you die. The audio gets a little stuttery. But that lasts for 5 seconds, then everything is back to normal.

Maybe you're getting mixed up with PSP games? Most of those don't run well.
Oh wow
Time to mess around with my snes mini again :)

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Zero. Minimal. Miniscule. Microscopic. You really have to try your hardest. If you screw up making toast, you'll probably make your Mini explode.

Deleted member 58636

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Hi guys - I bought my first SNESC yesterday and read nearly 12 hours "How to upgrade my SNESC".
I have to be honest, I am still a little bit confused. I tried to work with the "SNES Classic Mini Canoe Compatibility List" (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...8t2aV5cVswYlnsdKxn9xoIW2Y/edit#gid=2014317767) and now here are some questions, after I set up SFROM Tool perfectly!
1) Some of the Issue-Patches are in the SFROM Tool Database (many from Robin): Do I have to add the additional ROM-Description-Patches (like LoROM to NTSC) in SFROM TOOL / Advanced (also bps-patches?) or do I have to run the patches with Lunar etc.?
2) Some of the Issue-Patches are not in Robins Pack (for example Arcus Odyssey). Do I have to run the named patches for example with Lunar IPS or could I add these patches in SFROM Toll / Advanced? If I use Lunar befor using SFROM Tool, does SFROM Tool still recognizes the ROMS or should I use hakchi2 then to generate the sfrom?
3) Then I found the SFROM Mega Pack - wow!!! Unfortunately I miss some games (for example supper soccer or the adams family): Is the reason, because there are no packages needed or why are they missing? The sfroms reffering the US-Versions, right?

Okay, I hope my questions aren't to bad and you guys can help me!

Thank you so much for alle your work!

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone! Is there a way to install a 2p version of a 4p MAME or FBA arcade game? Thanks!
you have to find the 2-player version of the romset
most 4 player arcade games had a 2-player variant, some only released in certain territories (or they just haven't been dumped yet)
it would have "2p" somewhere in the file name

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hi guys - I bought my first SNESC yesterday and read nearly 12 hours "How to upgrade my SNESC".
I have to be honest, I am still a little bit confused. I tried to work with the "SNES Classic Mini Canoe Compatibility List" (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...8t2aV5cVswYlnsdKxn9xoIW2Y/edit#gid=2014317767) and now here are some questions, after I set up SFROM Tool perfectly!
1) Some of the Issue-Patches are in the SFROM Tool Database (many from Robin): Do I have to add the additional ROM-Description-Patches (like LoROM to NTSC) in SFROM TOOL / Advanced (also bps-patches?) or do I have to run the patches with Lunar etc.?
2) Some of the Issue-Patches are not in Robins Pack (for example Arcus Odyssey). Do I have to run the named patches for example with Lunar IPS or could I add these patches in SFROM Toll / Advanced? If I use Lunar befor using SFROM Tool, does SFROM Tool still recognizes the ROMS or should I use hakchi2 then to generate the sfrom?
3) Then I found the SFROM Mega Pack - wow!!! Unfortunately I miss some games (for example supper soccer or the adams family): Is the reason, because there are no packages needed or why are they missing? The sfroms reffering the US-Versions, right?

Don't use SFROM tool if you don't know what you're doing. Just take the patches from the compat list and patch the games yourself with LunarIPS. SFROM is for hardcores.

Deleted member 58636

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Don't use SFROM tool if you don't know what you're doing. Just take the patches from the compat list and patch the games yourself with LunarIPS. SFROM is for hardcores.

Thanks for answering.I know I am not a hardcore, but don't be angry with me, I don't think the Idea from sfrom TOOL was to be an mir complicated software, but to sum up the patches and thus be more easy.Independently of that I am willing to learn to work with sfrom TOOL.
I really would appreciate if you guys could answer my three issues, please:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for answering.I know I am not a hardcore, but don't be angry with me, I don't think the Idea from sfrom TOOL was to be an mir complicated software, but to sum up the patches and thus be more easy.Independently of that I am willing to learn to work with sfrom TOOL.
I really would appreciate if you guys could answer my three issues, please:

Robin's patches are the same patches found in the compat list, but incomplete because he stopped updating it his pack. Meanwhile the community has still been making patches once in a while and they get posted in the compat list.

You don't need any of those SFROMT VC patches unless you want to psychologically feel that you are technically using the same VC ROM versions Nintendo used on the Wii.

Hopefully someone else can answer what you want, but like I said, you don't need the tool.

Just take your clean ROM, patch it with Lunar and the ips patches in the compat list and add them to hakchi.
You don't need any other kind of patch that's not an issue patch.

Last edited:

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to get around to finally doing this tomorrow. Question, is the guide in the OP still up to date?

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Are you able to put GBA roms on the SNES mini by just using Hakchi?

Yes. Of course, you also need to get Retroarch and a GBA core like mGBA on the system too, but if you're using hakchi CE it's easy enough to find that in KMFD's Mod Hub within hakchi itself.

I think I'm going to get around to finally doing this tomorrow. Question, is the guide in the OP still up to date?

The guide's only outdated in that it's referring to an older version of hakchi CE, but the link there will take you to the latest version. The way you install the custom kernel and add games hasn't really changed.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Of course, you also need to get Retroarch and a GBA core like mGBA on the system too, but if you're using hakchi CE it's easy enough to find that in KMFD's Mod Hub within hakchi itself.

The guide's only outdated in that it's referring to an older version of hakchi CE, but the link there will take you to the latest version. The way you install the custom kernel and add games hasn't really changed.
Thank you!

arkiokin

Jul 15, 2018

- ReyVGM had right answers : to my knowledge, only one or 2 games only needed a VC patch with SFROM Tool to solve any issue with canoe (just remember mother 2/japanese version of earthbound) and SFROM Tool was mandatory only for "SDD1 games" (Star Ocean/Street fighter alpha 2), cause their patches were done using a "perfect" SFROM by DarkAkuma.

- For some games, the Robin patch pack only give the correct preset ID (and not particular .ips patch more), but it's not totally updated, and a few new issues (with a few new preset ID solutions) were found and are not in this pack (but yes, on the compatibility list). However, it should save you a lot of time, cause it's the only way you can patch a bunch of games in a row with the use of SFROM Tool. Btw, SFROM Tool was not originally created for patching games, and so you can also use this tool for some very useful actions, like convert your PC emulation saves (.srm) to canoe save format easily.

- Sfroms refer not to US versions only but for all Super NES/Super famicom games (it's just a format created by nintendo, like a box including any SNES/SFC Roms)
The SFROM Mega pack had the goal to give the "best" games directly available for a beginner user, doing all the work of patching one by one with SFROM and the different patch packs (including mainly Robin64 one) + some translation patches, so to have just to add in hakchi.

BUT, I don't know who really did this job, if it's really reliable, which roms he used for patching (and he clearly used some roms from the Goodsnes rom set, whereas all patches were made using the no-intro rom set, even if most of these roms should be the same, it couldn't be sure at 100%), if this patching work was correctly done, if you really want a translation rather than another (or none), or if you want, like you, some other games. And, as he used not 100% updated packs, some issues should have not been corrected in this "Mega pack". By the way, don't use this pack or robin patch for kirby's dreamland 3 if you don't want to crash the game at the end ...
For me, the only reliable thing to do is to follow that ReyVGM said upper : patch manually each game you want, following the instructions on the compatibility list : take more time, but much more reliable imho.

Mizar

Jul 21, 2019
Hi guys, new member here, I'm back on the snes mini after a year because I'm doing the work for a friend, what a bad return! I just discovered what's happened to Sluffy.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I had forgotten certain games didn't work, gonna need to check over that list and see if any patches are available to fix them.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all,

I had hacked my SNES Classic right when it came out, and my kids have been playing it much more than I have. Lately we've been having a problem with the Suspend Points. When we try to save new ones (or overwrite old ones), we get an error message:

C4: An error has occurred.

If the problem persists, please make a note of the error code and visit support.nintendo.com.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it possible that this is due to the system being out of memory? We had added some other games we already own on our original system which doesn't hook up to any of our TVs, so I'm wondering it the console just wasn't made to support so many save states for so many games. Has anyone successfully dealt with this? Thanks!

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, the hacked Secret of Mana rom file I added weeks ago to my classic turned out to be a dud after all: thought it was strange that certain text boxes (usually from Neko when I try to buy things) would glitch out at times but they never killed my progress like the one that happened after I found Flammie. King Truffle is supposed to tell you to head to the desert area next via a nearby cannon that was unusable at the time but the text box glitched and although I could move around fine afterwards I guess it never set the correct flag and so the cannon is forever "out of fuses".

I know multi-patching a game can be risky and although every patch used were said to be compatible with the others you still run the risk of something breaking eventually. I'll have to look into that SoM multi-patcher tool someone on Romhacking thought up and see if I can still make my desired build of the game.

For the record, I used these patches (found on Romhacking.net):
- Relocalized v1.7 (a fork of the old VWF patch)
- Equipment Progression v1.3
- Level 9 Weapon Progression v1.3
- Spell Grinding v1.0 (less casts needed to level-up magic)

... probably patched in that order, too.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Hi all,

I had hacked my SNES Classic right when it came out, and my kids have been playing it much more than I have. Lately we've been having a problem with the Suspend Points. When we try to save new ones (or overwrite old ones), we get an error message:

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it possible that this is due to the system being out of memory? We had added some other games we already own on our original system which doesn't hook up to any of our TVs, so I'm wondering it the console just wasn't made to support so many save states for so many games. Has anyone successfully dealt with this? Thanks!

Do you still have your hakchi on your PC? If so, you can hook it up, turn it on, and see what the total space is on the right. If that number is less than 10 MB, you probably have too many suspend points. Canoe suspend points in particular take up roughly 2+ MB each, and that really adds up!

You can either delete suspend points off the system from the system UI itself, or you can go into hakchi and click Tools -> Save-state manager and back them up/delete them from there. You might also consider the Save State Compression Mod, which shrinks those suckers down to about 300 KB (and back up your saves before installing this, of course!).

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was curious: how do you folks arrange your games collection?

I've stuck with the standard A-Z folder system, but I think I want to pick something that's a bit easier to sort out a large games collection. I'm not sure if I should go with genres (RPGs, Actrion, etc), companies (Konami, Capcom) or so on. Is there a way to copy the same game in multiple folders while keeping the same saves and save states across all of them (like Steam)?

Speaking of which, I do wish we had a "recently played" folder that just showed whatever last batch of games you booted up. This is a handy thing Steam also does, and it would be especially handy if consoles had this too (the Switch does this automatically, but lacks a folder option to better sort the games. PS4 and Xbox don't do this either).

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to play final fantasy 3/6 and other RPGs with the option to fast forward. Is this possible at all possible with the snes mini without having to run retroarch?

I'm thinking I might just stick to my retron 5 for this use case.