• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

demi

Oct 27, 2017
If only there was a spreadsheet that had information and links to patches somewhere floating around

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Is it known that the first Breath of Fire exhibits incorrect graphics during certain segments when running in Canoe? I'm talking specifically about the Chun-Li cameo in Bleak (or rather any of the results of that little aside) where the screen doesn't drop out of black-out despite the text saying you should be seeing something. Afterwards the game runs normally far as I can see.

I wanted to see Chunners. :(
EDIT: days later, come to find that Thunder Thighs makes another cameo in the good ending if you equip Ryu with the BrokenSD when fighting the final boss, complete with her 2P CE palette swap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Is it known that the first Breath of Fire exhibits incorrect graphics during certain segments when running in Canoe? I'm talking specifically about the Chun-Li cameo in Bleak (or rather any of the results of that little aside) where the screen doesn't drop out of black-out despite the text saying you should be seeing something. Afterwards the game runs normally far as I can see.

I don't recall ever seeing that. Have you tried with BoF's actual PID, just to be sure? 1144 (4411 in hakchi)

demi

Oct 27, 2017

A lot of issues aren't known because nobody is going to replay all these games for the sake of testing, lol. But you need more information on how you added your game.

- SFROM Tool?
- Preset ID?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I used 4411 when adding it through hakchi. I don't believe I used SFROM tool for that particular game.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Welp, odd little quirk then. Worth noting it works fine in the newer version on Canoe on the Switch, though that won't help here, but another little fix it has.

Though I wonder what it did in VC versions? Those are older Canoe and surely it worked..

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
A lot of issues aren't known because nobody is going to replay all these games for the sake of testing, lol. But you need more information on how you added your game.

- SFROM Tool?
- Preset ID?
Yeah, like, I found a glitched textbox issue with Illusion of Gaia that happens later in the game, so I had to look up what the text was saying to progress. Little weird things like that still happen sometimes even with the "correct" settings.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I make sure to cross check via YouTube let's plays whenever something unexpected happens in a game running in Canoe to ensure it's not a known issue on real hardware or at least on an accurate emulator (which isn't the easiest thing in the world, people out there still using ZSNES in 2019).

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Well without testing myself, the issue may possibly be resolved with a different Preset ID. But it sounds like a similiar issue with Goof Troop where a screen that should be "dark" isn't and you see the entire screen anyway.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Is there an updated guide as to how to get the SNES mini hacked? I see the version listed in the OP for Hakchi is quite old compared to the new one in github. Is it still the same process?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking of finally adding a Wi-Fi adapter to my Mini, specifically the SNES and PSX. I really like the idea of retro achievements for SNES games, and the latest PSX modding scene includes updates for firmware, cover art and other niceties.

Can anyone confirm if this adapter will work?

Also, I assume I'll need a dongle with more than one USB port? I've been using this one for the external storage:

If someone could point me to one that lets me attach the memory card and WiFi adapter, I'd be grateful.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I was playing Super Double Dragon with a friend, and on the train level (stage 4or 5?), once the train stopped, it took a longer time than usual to transition to the boss area. And once we beat the boss, the game never transitioned to the next level. It just stayed in a black screen with the music playing.

Has anyone finished the game using Canoe?

ren-shin

Oct 28, 2017
Hello.

Can someone dump their original borders and share them? Some of mine has gotten corrupted and I could not find it online, just custom borders.
If possible I don`t want to factory reset the snes to correct it.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I was playing Super Double Dragon with a friend, and on the train level (stage 4or 5?), once the train stopped, it took a longer time than usual to transition to the boss area. And once we beat the boss, the game never transitioned to the next level. It just stayed in a black screen with the music playing.

Has anyone finished the game using Canoe?
Not yet, but I'll run through it later today and see if it does the same thing. Though the version currently on my Classic right now is a patched Return of Double Dragon w/ altered controls so it might not behave the same way.

Edit: played to the end, no hang-ups of any kind.

Last edited:

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Not yet, but I'll run through it later today and see if it does the same thing. Though the version currently on my Classic right now is a patched Return of Double Dragon w/ altered controls so it might not behave the same way.

Glad to hear; I've got this version on my system instead of Super Double Dragon.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Thanks, but hopefully someone tests the regular Super Double Dragon.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Ended up installing hakchi on my mini tonight using the newest version which from what I understand keeps the original kernel stored on the mini. If I ever want to go back to factory settings what option do I use in every kernel section?

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Do you guys have experience with any of the wireless SNES controllers for the Mini?

I've searched online and see some options, but wanted to check here first before buying.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys have experience with any of the wireless SNES controllers for the Mini?

I've searched online and see some options, but wanted to check here first before buying.

I bought the 8bitdo SF30 2.4g which only works with the mini but has lower lag than the Bluetooth version. Definitely happy with it. Same build quality as the other 8bitdo models, standard snes layout, dpad and buttons are good.

By comparison I bought the Hori Fighting Commander for the SNES mini at launch and found that the dpad really wasn't a match for the standard. 8bitdo is much closer in that respect.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On the subject, I'm curious how the official SNES controller Nintendo put out measures up to 8BitDo's, and if it can be used on the Mini.

Oct 25, 2017
On the subject, I'm curious how the official SNES controller Nintendo put out measures up to 8BitDo's, and if it can be used on the Mini.

8bitdo make a retro receiver for the classic consoles that gets updated relatively frequently. They added support for the NES style joycons in March.

They haven't updated it yet but there will probably be a firmware update for it in a month or so.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a while since I messed around with adding games, is there a way to automatically add boxart or do I need to go one by one?

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
It's been a while since I messed around with adding games, is there a way to automatically add boxart or do I need to go one by one?
There's a folder in CE that will be searched automatically when adding art. I can't remember what the folder name is though, but if you chuck a bunch of correctly named / nearly correctly named game art in there it does a pretty good job of matching. This guy has been compiling all the boxarts for the SNES in original format. Robin64 had a complete collection of captured game title screens somewhere (search back in this forum to find them) which worked really well. I use a square format, with original SNES box theming, and you can find most games here created by DefKorns, myself and a couple of others.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018

If you're using hakchi CE, you can select multiple games at once, right click, and choose "Download box art for selected games". It just uses a google image search, though, so quality will vary quite a bit.

Aside from that, therourke's advice is sound. The folder he's talking about is in the hakchi folder and is simply named "art".

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
There's a folder in CE that will be searched automatically when adding art. I can't remember what the folder name is though, but if you chuck a bunch of correctly named / nearly correctly named game art in there it does a pretty good job of matching. This guy has been compiling all the boxarts for the SNES in original format. Robin64 had a complete collection of captured game title screens somewhere (search back in this forum to find them) which worked really well. I use a square format, with original SNES box theming, and you can find most games here created by DefKorns, myself and a couple of others.
What perfect timing. I'm finally redoing my SNESc and I need some new art. Thanks :D

Also, I'd like to try to replace the UIs "Super Nintendo" pic between the power and reset button. It's such a low-resolution image.
How would one go about doing that?

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I saw this, unfortunately I didn't add the artwork to the folder until after adding most games, so I ended up doing them manually. But good to know they update automatically if I add more games.

If you're using hakchi CE, you can select multiple games at once, right click, and choose "Download box art for selected games". It just uses a google image search, though, so quality will vary quite a bit.

Aside from that, therourke's advice is sound. The folder he's talking about is in the hakchi folder and is simply named "art".
Yes I was doing this, but one at a time. I did find the boxart collections and used those since the quality varied too much.

I'm finally getting back into the groove, added games, boxart, and borders. Now just to assign the borders to specific games.

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly OT, but people might be interested. The SNES emulator used by Nintendo for 3DS VC is, in fact, another version of Canoe and @DarkAkuma updated Sfrom Tool to support it. Here you can find more details.

SNES support on 3DS is very good now - Canoe is fast and reliable on 3DS too and it's a lot more stable than Retroarch. The 240p screen is also perfect for SNES games!

demi

Oct 27, 2017
We knew it was a build of Canoe, good on DarkAkuma for getting around to making a tool for it

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
SFROM Tool also supports Switch format files now for its version of Canoe, which is great as that version of Canoe is obviously further along and will likely just keep getting better.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Question: I've been looking at some of the latest romhacks talented folks have come up with, and was wondering if there was a method now to add a hack/patch/etc to an already-installed game without having to re-add it.

Last I recall, any modification you made to a game you already added meant that it wouldn't be recognized by the Classic anymore, so you would have to start over and add everything back (the boxart, the game info, etc).

It'd be nice if I could add in the small QoL fixes people come up with without having to reinstall the game, losing save states, etc.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Technically an IPS patcher would need to be made that just increases the offsets in the .ips by how large the .sfrom file's footer is.

Or a program that alters a .ips file to then take into account the increase.

I don't know how to make either, though. :)