• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Try using 1.1b, cluster f'd stuff up in the later builds
And this did the trick! Now it works perfectly with the command line rewrite. Added about 25 games as a best of genesis(not all I have but I didn't see a need to put everything on there just some stuff I want to work on mixed with a bunch of fun coop stuff) and I am now good to mess with my brother in law at thanksgiving. Now to do the final curation and patching of my Snes lineup

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
And this did the trick! Now it works perfectly with the command line rewrite. Added about 25 games as a best of genesis(not all I have but I didn't see a need to put everything on there just some stuff I want to work on mixed with a bunch of fun coop stuff) and I am now good to mess with my brother in law at thanksgiving. Now to do the final curation and patching of my Snes lineup
It's so weird with the 2.21f release. A friend used 1.1d without issue; I had to use 1.1c, and yours works with 1.1b. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
As long as it works, great. ;)
It's great. I use it to play T&E SOFT golf games with the Genesis CPU overclocked 400% in emulation. This causes the games to play much smoother and with less wait times, and makes them feel very modern. Recommended! At least for those beautiful games.
For golf, I'd imagine it's better, but what about other games? Do you actually play them at 400%? Or in general, do you think it's a better core than GenPlus?

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
For golf, I'd imagine it's better, but what about other games? Do you actually play them at 400%? Or in general, do you think it's a better core than GenPlus?
Depends on the game of course. These golf games are written in a way that they cope very well with the higher CPU speed, probably due to their heritage as PC games. They remain controllable and the processing wait times are removed. Think of it as running a game on a slow PC versus a fast PC - the experience is smoother and largely better running/playing them at 400%. Of course I don't recommend this approach for all games.

Better is a subjective term. I prefer Picodrive for this feature and the fact it's a performance over accuracy type of emulator. So it's at least worth checking out both depending on the game your're playing.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Depends on the game of course. These golf games are written in a way that they cope very well with the higher CPU speed, probably due to their heritage as PC games. They remain controllable and the processing wait times are removed. Think of it as running a game on a slow PC versus a fast PC - the experience is smoother and largely better running/playing them at 400%. Of course I don't recommend this approach for all games.

Better is a subjective term. I prefer Picodrive for this feature and the fact it's a performance over accuracy type of emulator. So it's at least worth checking out both depending on the game your're playing.
Thanks for the feedback. There are a few games that I feel might run better with a performance core so I'll try them out.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
My 5 year old nephew is obssesed with Stunt Racer FX. It's the only game he wants to play besides Super Mario World when he comes over. And he does not like Super Mario Kart. I gotta admit the cars look super charming. I made him try Sonic 2 on my genesis mini and he noped after 5 mins. Kids are weird sometimes.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
so is this thing worth getting if i can get the japanese version for around 67 ish bucks?
also how hard is the region changing process?

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
Been playing DKC3 (for the first time). Pretty fun.

$67 isn't bad at all (depends on the condition though).
Region changing? Whatcha mean?
its brand new.
the systems in japanese so i wonder if i could easily change that.
but i mean alot of the games on there are playable in japanese but still that would be a great option.
also are there fakes? cause there is literally no reason for it to be that cheap.
is it possible to connect the controllers to a wiimote and connect them to a pc?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Oh there are tons of fakes, so please be really careful.

And yeah, the controllers work like a Classic Controller in a Wiimote and can connect to PC via Bluetooth.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
its brand new.
the systems in japanese so i wonder if i could easily change that.
but i mean alot of the games on there are playable in japanese but still that would be a great option.
also are there fakes? cause there is literally no reason for it to be that cheap.
is it possible to connect the controllers to a wiimote and connect them to a pc?
I've never seen a fake SFC that actually looks like the SFC mini but there are tons of fake-looking fakes out there.
As far as changing the menu, there is a mod to change the menus to English (I've only seen English) but it doesn't change the games - you'll need to load English (or your preferred language) games to make them change.
If it's $67 new, I'd question that. URL?

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
what y'all playing at the moment?

I've started playing Chrono Trigger. And this time, I truly intend to finish it. Prior to this, I've started the PS1 and DS versions, but quit playing in the middle of the game both times.

Regarding a Japanese Super Famicom mini: you can also set it up to multiboot into US/European firmware, but you need to find the proper .hsqs file for that. We can't link to that for the same reason we can't link to roms.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
If you can open up the box, a good way I've found to check their legitimacy (for NES Classic at least) is if the serial number barcode on the bottom of the system is printed all the way to the edge of the label. If the barcode lines have white space on all four sides, it's a phony.
EDIT: That said, I don't think there are any non-obvious clones of the Super, just the NES? They usually have some giveaways on the box, or the controller ports being Atari/Sega-like instead of the Wii Classic Controller ports.

Just in case, here's a legit serial number label example:
Im not really sure if i can open it and they wont sell it in person which is understandable. The pictures on the site seem pretty legit though. I might just bite into it since the site is legit like 90% of the times and the reviews are positive. The reviews even mention that they have used hackschi to add games which i dont even know if that works on fake consoles.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
I've never seen a fake SFC that actually looks like the SFC mini but there are tons of fake-looking fakes out there.
As far as changing the menu, there is a mod to change the menus to English (I've only seen English) but it doesn't change the games - you'll need to load English (or your preferred language) games to make them change.
If it's $67 new, I'd question that. URL?
Huh. Thats good to know.
Its from here.
Edit:What the.. its even cheaper now lol.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
I only found it odd that they're advertising it as the SFC but also have pics from the EU SNES.
Whichever one it is, they both look like authentic items. But I would confirm their return policy. ;)
I would guess that since they look so alike it just went under their nose.
Regarding the return policy, Well thats good to hear and ill most likely get it next week.
Do you know how many games will fit in the internal memory?
also a friend of mine says that its possible to mod the system so it could basically turn into a nes classic. Is this really possible? If so how.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I would guess that since they look so alike it just went under their nose.
Regarding the return policy, Well thats good to hear and ill most likely get it next week.
Do you know how many games will fit in the internal memory?
also a friend of mine says that its possible to mod the system so it could basically turn into a nes classic. Is this really possible? If so how.
IIRC, roughly 200 games but it depends on what size they are of course.
https://snesclassicmods.com/ has a tutorial that you do what you want, a NES on the SNES, but for me, I prefer the NES emulator via Retroarch on the SNES (I only play 2 NES games on it anyway).
It all depends what you want out of the system.Many of us prefer the Hakchi 2.21f version for its speed (and its retroarch version works well). However if you wanna do tons of emulation etc, many say the newest CE version of Hakchi is better to use.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
IIRC, roughly 200 games but it depends on what size they are of course.
https://snesclassicmods.com/ has a tutorial that you do what you want, a NES on the SNES, but for me, I prefer the NES emulator via Retroarch on the SNES (I only play 2 NES games on it anyway).
It all depends what you want out of the system.Many of us prefer the Hakchi 2.21f version for its speed (and its retroarch version works well). However if you wanna do tons of emulation etc, many say the newest CE version of Hakchi is better to use.
Thank you so much!
Is there anything else i should know before hacking? Like i think there is a 30 game limit on the system for each folder or smt. (I didnt even know you could make folders wth)

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I've started playing Chrono Trigger. And this time, I truly intend to finish it. Prior to this, I've started the PS1 and DS versions, but quit playing in the middle of the game both times.

Regarding a Japanese Super Famicom mini: you can also set it up to multiboot into US/European firmware, but you need to find the proper .hsqs file for that. We can't link to that for the same reason we can't link to roms.
I can't believe you haven't finished it. O.o I couldn't stop playing it when I got it.

Thank you so much!
Is there anything else i should know before hacking? Like i think there is a 30 game limit on the system for each folder or smt. (I didnt even know you could make folders wth)
Np;)
Before hacking? Hmmm not really. Just read a lot before is what I do. It's almost impossible to brick this (so I've read at least).
I think I've set my folder limit to 40 or 45 and it works well.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
I can't believe you haven't finished it. O.o I couldn't stop playing it when I got it.

When Chrono Trigger came out on SNES, I didn't even know about it because I was losing interest in games. Years later I tried the version on PS1, but it has load times every time you get into a battle and it got a bit tiresome. Then I got the DS version and I got further, but I've come to realize I don't really enjoy playing games on handheld devices very much either!

So now I'm finally playing it again on my SNES Classic. And even though I love Canoe, I'm playing it in SNES9x because I'm playing it with achievements, which is both silly and cool to me.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
When Chrono Trigger came out on SNES, I didn't even know about it because I was losing interest in games. Years later I tried the version on PS1, but it has load times every time you get into a battle and it got a bit tiresome. Then I got the DS version and I got further, but I've come to realize I don't really enjoy playing games on handheld devices very much either!

So now I'm finally playing it again on my SNES Classic. And even though I love Canoe, I'm playing it in SNES9x because I'm playing it with achievements, which is both silly and cool to me.
Oof~ if the PS1 version was your first play, that would be a turn off.
Are you playing SNES9x on the classic or PC?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
what y'all playing at the moment?
Took a break from the snes mini to enjoy my genesis mini. I grew up a snes kid so i missed a ton of genesis games. But I'll be back to the snes mini after i am done with Landstalker.

I still have so many games to play on snes. My priority list is as follow:

• Blackthorne
  • Super castlevania
  • Actraiser
  • ff5
  • ff6 (yes I never played it past the first village)
  • secret of evermore
  • secret of mana
  • lufia 1 and 2
  • dragon quest games

Last edited:

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018

Np;)
Before hacking? Hmmm not really. Just read a lot before is what I do. It's almost impossible to brick this (so I've read at least).
I think I've set my folder limit to 40 or 45 and it works well.
Ahh thank you so much for your help!

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I'm playing it on my mini. I usually prefer to play my games on there, but sometimes I'll transfer the saves from the mini to my PC and play on there. So far, CT has been all on the mini though.
Gotcha. I wasn't quite sure since you mentioned achievements (and I had no clue if that was even possible on the classic).

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
Many emulation/rom communities have assembled so called 'mega packs' in the past, saving people a LOT of time hunting, patching and converting games to the right format (e.g. SFROM). Their methods are worth considering in relation to this community too.
Huh, neat! Thanks. I didnt even know you had to change the format.
Btw i bought the japanese version and it seems to be the real thing. The emulation the box and the quality all seem pretty good so far.
Ill hack it later tomorrow so we will see how that goes.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Huh, neat! Thanks. I didnt even know you had to change the format.
Btw i bought the japanese version and it seems to be the real thing. The emulation the box and the quality all seem pretty good so far.
Ill hack it later tomorrow so we will see how that goes.
You have a few things to learn, but let's just say that HackiCE and a smart google brain (^^^^) is paramount.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Have you seen this today: New Super Mario Land

Someone (anonymous) has recreated the original Gameboy SML for the SNES! Full rom has not been unleashed yet, but hints are good that it might soon.

It looks amazing...

Zrbl5ur_d.jpg
87TCeNQ_d.jpg
ICvvvxA_d.jpg
0Npbhcy_d.jpg

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Have you seen this today: New Super Mario Land

Someone (anonymous) has recreated the original Gameboy SML for the SNES! Full rom has not been unleashed yet, but hints are good that it might soon.

It looks amazing...

Zrbl5ur_d.jpg
87TCeNQ_d.jpg
ICvvvxA_d.jpg
0Npbhcy_d.jpg

Ugh. Getting a Cease & Desist from Nintendo in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1....

By now you'd think everyone got the memo that if you're working on a remake/adaptation/romhack of any Nintendo property, you keep completely shut until it's completely done and released on the internet...

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ugh. Getting a Cease & Desist from Nintendo in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1....

By now you'd think everyone got the memo that if you're working on a remake/adaptation/romhack of any Nintendo property, you keep completely shut until it's completely done and released on the internet...

I have yet to see a C&D come down on any Romhack and new Nintendo Romhacks drop on Romhacking.net almost daily