• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
It doesn't look like a romhack. It looks like it was programmed from the bottom up. I may be completely out of my depth there, but... I am guessing this person doing this was Japan based, just from the use of that flash cart. But, who knows.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It doesn't look like a romhack. It looks like it was programmed from the bottom up. I may be completely out of my depth there, but... I am guessing this person doing this was Japan based, just from the use of that flash cart. But, who knows.

Yeah upon closer inspection this looks like it's totally new, Which is amazingly impressive. So yeah the concern of a C&D then is more real.

Thankfully the article states that it is finished and just needs somebody to leak it.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Have you seen this today: New Super Mario Land

Someone (anonymous) has recreated the original Gameboy SML for the SNES! Full rom has not been unleashed yet, but hints are good that it might soon.

It looks amazing...

Zrbl5ur_d.jpg
87TCeNQ_d.jpg
ICvvvxA_d.jpg
0Npbhcy_d.jpg

Amazing, here's hoping it trickles out although I think the NSMB art style was a huge mistake.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Seems to work on the SNES Classic without any hassle :)

The graphics are very pared back and very impressive at the same time. It feels like playing SML on a suped-up Gameboy or something, rather than playing a SNES Mario game. I find the camera movement a bit jerky, but it's fluid. Xmas came early :)

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't work on my SD2SNES Pro on my Super Famicom. The title screen loads but once you're in-game it's a black screen except for a horizontal row of tiles at the bottom.

Not sure what happened since it was working on an SFC in the video before. I'll try copying it over again but I doubt that's the issue.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. Getting a Cease & Desist from Nintendo in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1....

By now you'd think everyone got the memo that if you're working on a remake/adaptation/romhack of any Nintendo property, you keep completely shut until it's completely done and released on the internet...
They can't exactly send a C&D to someone they don't know. The tweets are from someone who was gifted the ROM rather than the original programmer; they are completely anonymous.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Doesn't work on my SD2SNES Pro on my Super Famicom. The title screen loads but once you're in-game it's a black screen except for a horizontal row of tiles at the bottom.

Not sure what happened since it was working on an SFC in the video before. I'll try copying it over again but I doubt that's the issue.

That's bizzare, I was just playing it fine on my Super NT via Jailbreak, So it shouldn't be anything an SD2SNES would have issues with

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London

It works fine for me on my SD2SNES and Super NT. No problem. Have you got the latest firmware?

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
It works fine for me on my SD2SNES and Super NT. No problem. Have you got the latest firmware?

I do, but I figured the problem out.

I have a one-chip SFC and if you have the hacks that alter the brightness register enabled on your SD2SNES it can cause problems in some games. This appears to be one of them!

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Well since this provided a nice excuse to whip out my old cover templates again:
uc
uc
uc

Thought I'd include the little text blurb that was on the cover of the original GameBoy release. The European style box art uses the colour from the back of the original GameBoy release.

And no, I wasn't going to do something insane like try to recreate the Super Mario Land art with NSMB style graphics.

EDIT: Tweaked the logo a bit.

Last edited:

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Well since this provided a nice excuse to whip out my old cover templates again:
uc
uc
uc

Thought I'd include the little text blurb that was on the cover of the original GameBoy release. The European style box art uses the colour from the back of the original GameBoy release.

And no, I wasn't going to do something insane like try to recreate the Super Mario Land art with NSMB style graphics.

EDIT: Tweaked the logo a bit.
Nice :)

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Dear Robin64, I've just dived into playing around with DarkAkuma's CaVE Database Manager, for generating games in the SNES Online app for Switch. I am piecing together everything I need to populate all the title screens and game covers. I was wondering, when you generated the title screens all those months ago, for every game, did you keep a higher res backup? The copy I have is much smaller than the SNES Online standard, and it has the corners cut out for the SNES Classic. It would be AMAZING to get a copy of the title screens in original res.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
It's just for overscan, the game [should] work fine as is. But I added that to my sheet when I first saw it so it's there for anyone now

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah from what I understand it installs Retroarch but it's still optional

Good compatibility for M2E at least, but they probably only tested it like we did and made sure it loaded and ran for a bit

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
At least M2E doesn't have those extra IDs to deal with (it doesn't have any listed in their xls sheet so hopefully not).
And overall, the compatibility seems higher than Canoe's out of the gate (lack of special chips doesn't hurt either).

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So after I'm done with FF5, I want to jump on another RPG that I have never played before, and I was looking at the Breath of Fire series, which I know almost nothing about and have never played.

How good are they? Are they worth playing today?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
So after I'm done with FF5, I want to jump on another RPG that I have never played before, and I was looking at the Breath of Fire series, which I know almost nothing about and have never played.

I want to try that series also and did some research about it. Regarding the first game, from what I gathered the snes version is very grindy and has some translation issues. The gba is less grindy but suffers from worst sound (platform issue) and different color palette. But I found some patches for the gba version that nearly fixes everything. Unfortunately there is not much improvement for the snes version.

gba patches

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to talk up Breath of Fire as something worth a playthrough when you realize it's probably the worst entry in a series of good to great jRPGs, which also happens to be the entry that introduces all the things that makes the series so great. You recognize it's faults, but still want newcomers to try it because it helps set the stage for the greater entries that follow.

When it comes right down to it, the only recourse is to just try it and see if it clicks. As long as you go in knowing it's not going to be holding your hand the whole way through you should be okay. And there's no shame in using a guide, especially in regard to getting the good ending.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's hard to talk up Breath of Fire as something worth a playthrough when you realize it's probably the worst entry in a series of good to great jRPGs, which also happens to be the entry that introduces all the things that makes the series so great. You recognize it's faults, but still want newcomers to try it because it helps set the stage for the greater entries that follow.

When it comes right down to it, the only recourse is to just try it and see if it clicks. As long as you go in knowing it's not going to be holding your hand the whole way through you should be okay. And there's no shame in using a guide, especially in regard to getting the good ending.

So what you're saying is that I should skip straight to 2?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
So what you're saying is that I should skip straight to 2?
Not even remotely. 1's biggest sin is the high volume of random battles, and that can be mitigated by items you can buy. Everything else is some of that good 'ol Americanized jRPG, I tell you whut.

2 is no better, but the retranslation makes it a better experience at least
Whoa uh, hey now... let's not say things we can't take back. 2 is absolutely a step up from 1. The retranslation is just icing on the cake. Still a lot of random battles, so if that's a turn-off...

Honestly just try it and see how it clicks. If you arent clicking then move on to the sequel (they aren't connected so you arn't missing out).
bruh

demi

Oct 27, 2017
You really don't think BoF 2 has

- Terrible Translation
- High Encounter Rate
- Grind out the ass
- Confusing Progression ("Where do I go?")

It is no better than BoF 1, it just looks better

And there is zero relation between the two games beyond the main character being Ryu

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

You're actually playing the SNESC and not just hacking it? Surely you must be trolling us!

They have not aged well. BoF2 has HORRIBLE HORRIBLE encounter rate (like every 5 steps). If you want to play it, use one of those enhancement patches or cheats or something. But if you manage to play it with a decent encounter rate, then yeah, it's a cool game.

What RPGs have you played? That way we know what to recommend.

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN

Download Ryusui's Breath of Fire II patch. It's fantastic and fixes most of the issues people are talking about in this thread. Better translation and some QoL changes make it THE way to play the game nowadays.

I may be biased, though. II is my favorite next to III.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
So basically i injected so many games that i barely have enough space on the system. I also installed the save state compression mod and have like 16ish mbs left on the system. Is that enough?
Does hakchi have some sort of reserved storage for save states?
And does this extra storage mod work on the latest hakchi ce?if so please give me a download link.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
So basically i injected so many games that i barely have enough space on the system. I also installed the save state compression mod and have like 16ish mbs left on the system. Is that enough?
Does hakchi have some sort of reserved storage for save states?
And does this extra storage mod work on the latest hakchi ce?if so please give me a download link.

Not really, the 200mb or so on the SNES is all you have. If you try to use savestates with the memory filled up, you're going to run into errors. If you want to have so many games, you should look into using a OTG adapter to plug a pendrive (like this) or install a mini board that lets you install a microSD (that would be like using a pendrive anyways)

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
You're actually playing the SNESC and not just hacking it? Surely you must be trolling us!

They have not aged well. BoF2 has HORRIBLE HORRIBLE encounter rate (like every 5 steps). If you want to play it, use one of those enhancement patches or cheats or something. But if you manage to play it with a decent encounter rate, then yeah, it's a cool game.

What RPGs have you played? That way we know what to recommend.

I've been playing the hell out of my SNESC!

Here's a list of the games I've beaten on it:

• StarFox (Normal. Attempted Hard but failed. Need to try again.)
  • StarFox 2 (Expert, Star Rating)
  • DKC (101%)
  • DKC2 (102%)
  • DKC3 (105%)
  • Super Mario World (96 exits)
  • Yoshi's Island (100% on all levels)
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Earthbound (was my first time)
  • Super Metroid (98% items, somewhere around 1:50)
  • Contra 3 (Normal)
  • Stunt Race FX (Expert)
  • Zelda: LTTP (All items, upgrades & hearts)
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Kirby's Dream Course (I admit I cheated and used rewind a bit)
  • Castlevania IV
  • Super Mario Kart (150cc All Gold)
  • Terranigma (was my first time)
  • Marvelous (Honestly I thought the game was more tedious than fun)
  • Aladdin
  • A few others that I'm surely forgetting.
As far as SNES RPGs go, here's what I played in my life:

- Super Mario RPG
- FF3 (6)
- Chrono Trigger
- Secret of Mana
- Seiken Densetsu 3
- Tales of Phantasia
- Terranigma
- Lufia 2
- Earthbound
- Mystic Quest (ew)
- Star Ocean (Dropped it at some point. Didn't like it much)
- Currently playing FF5. (Not bad so far, but far from the greatness of FF3. Kinda grindy and hard, and the events/dialogue are poor)
- Shadowrun

Last edited:

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
Not really, the 200mb or so on the SNES is all you have. If you try to use savestates with the memory filled up, you're going to run into errors. If you want to have so many games, you should look into using a OTG adapter to plug a pendrive (like this) or install a mini board that lets you install a microSD (that would be like using a pendrive anyways)
You see i really dont wanna mess with otg stuff. That mini board is really ideal for me but i really cant order it.
How much space do you think i need to free up so i can play comfortably? I usually just use one save state or none.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
You see i really dont wanna mess with otg stuff. That mini board is really ideal for me but i really cant order it.
How much space do you think i need to free up so i can play comfortably? I usually just use one save state or none.

Canoe (SNESC default emulator) uses about 2mb per save state. So, with 16mb free you should be able to use 8? That's about it. Talking about savestates, the save files the games uses are much smaller (savestates from retroarch should be smaller as well)

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
Canoe (SNESC default emulator) uses about 2mb per save state. So, with 16mb free you should be able to use 8? That's about it. Talking about savestates, the save files the games uses are much smaller (savestates from retroarch should be smaller as well)
Doesnt the save state compression mod reduce the 2mb to like 300k or smt? Or did i misunderstand what that does?

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
Doesnt the save state compression mod reduce the 2mb to like 300k or smt? Or did i misunderstand what that does?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that (and skipped it in your previous response). Sure, it's what it's supposed to do. I don't know how well it works, but if you can play and there are no errors, you should be good to go.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
Oh yeah, I forgot about that (and skipped it in your previous response). Sure, it's what it's supposed to do. I don't know how well it works, but if you can play and there are no errors, you should be good to go.
Thank you so much! Thats good then!
Ill try compressing the box arts tomorrow.
Are there also another stuff that i can compress/remove to save space?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, you can use the compression mod, compress your images, compress your games... but there's going to be a limit. You're just going to have to be choosy on what games you add.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
Not really, you can use the compression mod, compress your images, compress your games... but there's going to be a limit. You're just going to have to be choosy on what games you add.
Yeah i get it. My main problem is with gba games which are way bigger than i expected. I will prolly be happy if i can make like 35 mbs of free space. That would let me have like 80 save states which is more than enough for me.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
OTG works very well. I have mine setup so I dont touch the internal games and put every other games I want on a usb key. If I want to have my vanilla snesc I just remove the otg, simple. Also I configured it to have all my savestates on the usb key so unlimited space. You can even go wild and put genesis, turbografx and so on. All on the usb key without touching your internal memory. It's wonderful.