• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
OTG works very well. I have mine setup so I dont touch the internal games and put every other games I want on a usb key. If I want to have my vanilla snesc I just remove the otg, simple. Also I configured it to have all my savestates on the usb key so unlimited space. You can even go wild and put genesis, turbografx and so on. All on the usb key without touching your internal memory. It's wonderful.
I know but its more of a peraonal thing that i just dont want to do. Thats the reason i havent modded my psc yet as it requires a flash drive or an otg cable which i dont really like connected to the thing. I may consider it tho if i wanted to add more games than i already have.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
You really don't think BoF 2 has

- Terrible Translation
- High Encounter Rate
- Grind out the ass
- Confusing Progression ("Where do I go?")

It is no better than BoF 1, it just looks better

And there is zero relation between the two games beyond the main character being Ryu
Oh it absolutely has a terrible translation, but no one's telling him to play it unpatched.

High encounter rate I've already covered as it's the same problem BoF1 has, but again, there are items that reduce it to manageable levels. There's even a little dancing monster icon that tells you if the area you're in will have a high encounter rate or not (yes, it fluctuates).

Very little grinding is actually required in BoF2. At first monsters don't drop nearly enough zenny to be able to afford all the good equipment in towns but fishing and selling your catches can make up the shortfall really quickly, much quicker than if you just grinded random battles all the time. Better equipment makes more of a difference for survival than gaining levels.

BoF2 is no more confusing than any other mid-tier jRPG of the era. Once the world map starts to open up it can be difficult to figure out where to travel first but your party members back at the base usually let you know what your next goal should be when talked to.

It not only looks better, but sounds better too.
Better party members, no one's useless like a certain fishman.
Better fusion system, but only just barely. It's better balanced and less OP but you aren't forced to sacrifice your own team members to fuel it.

And if you really believe Ryu's name is the only link between both games then it stands to reason you weren't really paying attention during your last playthrough. Yes, the world is vastly different with maybe only one kingdom and a few towns from BoF1 still thriving (Winlan/Wyndia, Gant/Guntz, Tunlan) but there's supposed to be a timeskip of several hundred years between games so that's a given. And at one point, a party member from the previous game spiritually appears to meet their BoFII counterpart and bestow a new power.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
- Super Mario RPG
- FF3 (6)
- Chrono Trigger
- Secret of Mana
- Seiken Densetsu 3
- Tales of Phantasia
- Terranigma
- Lufia 2
- Earthbound
- Mystic Quest (ew)
- Star Ocean (Dropped it at some point. Didn't like it much)
- Currently playing FF5. (Not bad so far, but far from the greatness of FF3. Kinda grindy and hard, and the events/dialogue are poor)
- Shadowrun

Whatcha mean "ew" to FF Mystic Quest? That game has one of the best soundtracks ever.

FF5's story is kind of poor yes, the game was more of a vehicle to have tons of classes and the plot density was more in tandem with the Famicom FF3. ou should play FF4 too.

So play Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Secret of Evermore, Dragon Quest 3, 5 & 6, Dragon View, Rudra's Treasure, Live a Live, Ys 4, Ys 5.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I know but its more of a peraonal thing that i just dont want to do. Thats the reason i havent modded my psc yet as it requires a flash drive or an otg cable which i dont really like connected to the thing. I may consider it tho if i wanted to add more games than i already have.
You could also limit the games that you put on the system, or like the Wii "fridge" method.
For RPGs, I don't keep them on the system after I've played them to free up space for the next one I'll play.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
You could also limit the games that you put on the system, or like the Wii "fridge" method.
For RPGs, I don't keep them on the system after I've played them to free up space for the next one I'll play.
There are afew things i can optimize actually.
Boxarts can get alittle bit smaller.
I have nes classic kernel on my classic which i can replace with just the roms.
My console is in japanese so i may get rid of some of the games that are just unplayable for me.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
There are afew things i can optimize actually.
Boxarts can get alittle bit smaller.
I have nes classic kernel on my classic which i can replace with just the roms.
My console is in japanese so i may get rid of some of the games that are just unplayable for me.
Box art I make/use is around 50~100kb per pic (sized usually at 228x204).
For NES, I'd just use RA instead - it works nicely.
For the JP ROMs, you can make it so they won't show up but it's not possible to remove them from the system to get more space available unfortunately.
But it's all about how you personalize your system and for what you want from it. ;)

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Whatcha mean "ew" to FF Mystic Quest? That game has one of the best soundtracks ever.

FF5's story is kind of poor yes, the game was more of a vehicle to have tons of classes and the plot density was more in tandem with the Famicom FF3. ou should play FF4 too.

So play Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Secret of Evermore, Dragon Quest 3, 5 & 6, Dragon View, Rudra's Treasure, Live a Live, Ys 4, Ys 5.

Mystic Quest was too simplistic. Didn't like the linear structure instead of an open world. It did have nice music!

In those that you listed, they're all better than Breath of Fire (1 & 2)? I read about Rudra's Treasure but most everywhere I read says it's B-tier at best.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
Box art I make/use is around 50~100kb per pic (sized usually at 228x204).
For NES, I'd just use RA instead - it works nicely.
For the JP ROMs, you can make it so they won't show up but it's not possible to remove them from the system to get more space available unfortunately.
But it's all about how you personalize your system and for what you want from it. ;)
well damn. i hoped i could remove some of them like starfox and ffvi.
but i guess i can still save a bunch of space from removing the nes classic files. i think i should get back around 10 mbs off of that.
and im hoping to get around 10 mbs off of the box arts.( i used very high quality ones now that you mention it seem like 2 3 times more othan the pics you used.)
if all goes according the plan im gonna get around 36mbs which in worst case scenario can give me around 80 save states, even if all the games use s ram im gonna have around 50ish save states available which tbh, is more than enough for me.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
a small update: so i replaced the nes classic editions kernel with the roms and holy hell. that cleaned up around 35ish mbs! i dont know why it was reserving that much space but it was a nice surprise.
unfortunately box art compression only cleaned up like a mb or so so it really wasnt worth it even tho it took like 10 mins to do.
now i basically have my dream 2d emulation device lol. (well except for neo geo stuff but to be fair im only interested in wind jammers and metal slug on that system)
modding this thing was super fun so i might mod my ps classic aswell, as much as i hate cables or dongles being connected to the thing.

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
Use something like PNGGauntlet or PNGyu to compress box art. You should be able to get more room that way.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Mystic Quest was too simplistic. Didn't like the linear structure instead of an open world. It did have nice music!

In those that you listed, they're all better than Breath of Fire (1 & 2)? I read about Rudra's Treasure but most everywhere I read says it's B-tier at best.

But B-tier is... good? If you're looking for another Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy 6, then no, there aren't any other games like that.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Possibly not interesting to y'all, but I have been following DarkAkuma's hard work porting over some of the SFROM shenanigans to the SNES Online service for the Switch. The compatibility is looking pretty good, though there are some missing classics like Terranigma to fix.

Anyway. Using Robin64's title screens and a pack of cover art I found elsewhere, I converted the lot to the format needed (.xtx.z) for the Switch SNES Online CaVE Database Manager created by DarkAkuma. You can find the covers here and the title screens here, and here are the batch files I used to compile them. It looks kind of like this:

MoFWmT7.jpg

It would be nice if someday the SFROM Mega Pack for the Classic had a Switch Online equivalent ;)

Last edited:

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
Okay, so it's been awhile. I was a fairly earlier contributer to this thread but since then Hakchi has undergone quite a few revisions. I've recently wiped a SNES Mini i'm preparing for my partner's siblings and am running hakchi2-ce-3.6.1rc4 but i'm having a few issues.

So when I 'export to USB' does that save all my changes if I have UI, Retroarch and hakchi set to be external on my USB?

Also, i'm only sorting out the SNES games so far but I cannot get anything loading. This is the exact command line of the first game: /bin/snes9x2018/var/games/CLV-U-RFMQX/The_7th_Saga.sfrom.7z --volume 100 -rollback-snapshot-period 600

Am I missing a space or something?

Lastly, any recommendations for the newer versions of Hakchi? I stopped around CE v1.5-2.0

<3

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, so it's been awhile. I was a fairly earlier contributer to this thread but since then Hakchi has undergone quite a few revisions. I've recently wiped a SNES Mini i'm preparing for my partner's siblings and am running hakchi2-ce-3.6.1rc4 but i'm having a few issues.

So when I 'export to USB' does that save all my changes if I have UI, Retroarch and hakchi set to be external on my USB?

Also, i'm only sorting out the SNES games so far but I cannot get anything loading. This is the exact command line of the first game: /bin/snes9x2018/var/games/CLV-U-RFMQX/The_7th_Saga.sfrom.7z --volume 100 -rollback-snapshot-period 600

Lastly, any recommendations for the newer versions of Hakchi? I stopped around CE v1.5-2.0

<3
Just right click on the game and select the core you want, you don't have to mess with command lines anymore.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018

<3

As ReyVGM said, right clicking and choosing the core you want is the ideal way to change the command lines. You can select multiple games with shift+clicking. It works great!

That being said, if that's the exact command line you're using, I see the fatal flaw: you need a space between /bin/snes9x2018 and /var/games/...

So in other words:
/bin/snes9x2018/ var/games/CLV-U-RFMQX/The_7th_Saga.sfrom.7z --volume 100 -rollback-snapshot-period 600

I personally still use hakchi CE 3.5.3. I briefly used 3.6.0 when it came out, but the bugs made me revert. I haven't tried the 3.6.1rc4 build.

I haven't messed with the whole "external UI" and "external Retroarch" setups. I just have Retroarch + cores installed on my SNES Classic's internal memory, and my games and saves on my flash drive. As far as I know, "export to USB" only deals with putting your games on the USB drive.

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Man so that update on Goemon 2 was kind of heartbreaking.

But what a weird flex to suddenly go "yeah anyway I have Goemon 2, 3, and 4 - and ebisumaru spinoff - all done or close to it"

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Man so that update on Goemon 2 was kind of heartbreaking.

But what a weird flex to suddenly go "yeah anyway I have Goemon 2, 3, and 4 - and ebisumaru spinoff - all done or close to it"

Seeing the work the translator put into Goemon 2 over the last year or so and knowing it's effectively been thrown in the trash unless he finds another person to hack it in is depressing.

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
Thanks ReyVGM and SteevL. I might revert back to 3.5.3 as I have encountered quite a few bugs. I knew it was gonna be that space but the confirmation is appreciated. Everything worked, then it didn't so it was 50/50 that I needed the space or didn't in my mind and I chose wrong. I've been out of the Hakchi game for too long ^_^;; I'm a submission review officer at RHDN now so I just haven't had the time to play with it.

RE: Goemon 2's translation, i'm confident it'll be picked up by someone else in the near future. A lot of people showed interest so this variation of the hack dying is an opportunity for hackers/modders with the know-how who don't know what to put effort into. Give it a year and a new project will start up surely

demi

Oct 27, 2017
RE: Goemon 2's translation, i'm confident it'll be picked up by someone else in the near future. A lot of people showed interest so this variation of the hack dying is an opportunity for hackers/modders with the know-how who don't know what to put effort into. Give it a year and a new project will start up surely

Goemon 2 is going to be finished (and 3, 4, and spinoff game), just not by that translator unfortunately. Unless someone has interest in seeing his translation/version out there, most people usually drop interest once a project is done.

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
Were you the one that rejected my Double Dragon 2 translation corrections? :(
I'm not sure? We process a lot of reviews, translations, hacks, listings and the like daily. We've recently brought on a bunch more staff (including Vivify is that name means anything to you guys <3 )to help manage the growing influx. If your translation correction patch was rejected it would have been on policy reasoning as we are to remain impartial in our opinion the vast majority of the time and sometimes the policies are finicky. In situations like rejections, I would highly advise contacting the staff to find a way to get it accepted. None of us want to reject everything but you'd be shocked at what gets submitted sometimes.

We actually recently had to make a new rule regarding games being still commercially sold because the day Xeno Crisis was released there was already a hack put up for it that could have seen us in legal hot water. It's an ever-evolving process.

If you have any issues, feel free to PM me on RHDN and i'd be happy to help you get things passed ^_^

--

Goemon 2 is going to be finished (and 3, 4, and spinoff game), just not by that translator unfortunately. Unless someone has interest in seeing his translation/version out there, most people usually drop interest once a project is done.

From what I gather, there is a lot of drama surrounding this so I expect community support on both sides which usually means one way or another that hacks will be completed ^_^;;

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
SNESc, PSC, Genesis Mini, and PCE mini soon (and a Super NT). I've got an HDMI 4port active hub but, would an OTG hub or multi micro USB plug of some kind work to power them all? What're y'all using to power all of these USB port machines?

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
While I have an NES & SNES Classic, as well as a PS Classic, I only really use the SNES. I don't think I'd personally try to use some sort of multi-port hub to power a bunch of the mini systems at once. I know that the NES and SNES Classics are very power sensitive. I use the original power adapter that came with the system + a 3-foot extension cable with a switch + my Inateck OTG adapter. I was using a different extension cable before that and my system would randomly shut down or black screen every now and then.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
SNESc, PSC, Genesis Mini, and PCE mini soon (and a Super NT). I've got an HDMI 4port active hub but, would an OTG hub or multi micro USB plug of some kind work to power them all? What're y'all using to power all of these USB port machines?

I found a 5 port USB hub from Amazon that I use. It works well and never had any issues. Since you're only using one system at a time, you're really not drawing any power from the other ports. The PSC is very sensitive to power, to the point where my HDMI hub needed to have direct power as well, but once I did that I had no issues using both the USB and HDMI hubs for all mini consoles.

I figure if I run out of ports, I can just swap the micro USB OTG. Not really a big deal since I have to plug in a controller a turn on the console anyway.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
That's what I've been using to power my SNES classic via USB. Works fine.
The USB ports, incidentally, output at 5V/2.1 Amp.
That's been the item I've considered the most but I'm trying to avoid bulk.
I've actually been just connecting the SNESc and SNT to my gaming PC's USB ports but I'm out of ports now.
Would a PC USB hub (no ac plug) be enough to power one at a time?

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Reading about the Ganbare Goemon fan translations above did inspire me to have a go at making European style box art for them.

Wow, art resources are rather scarce for this series - also doesn't help each of the three games have a slightly different art style for their covers.
And wow, never really appreciate how much is happening in the Japanese logos for these games. Redrawing those is the longest I've ever had to spend on a logo. And even if they all share the same diamond formation, they each have a signficant amount of unique graphics.

Saying that, I'm pretty pleased with how they've come out so far. Now just to wait for the final releases in case a few tweaks need to be done - especially as it sounds like the Ganbare Goemon 2 fan translation needs a new title screen (from an outsider's perspective I do prefer the choice by the other two patches to write "Goemon" in the same type face as the N64 games)

As for USB hubs, I use a cheap and cheerful three port one from IKEA that hasn't given me any problems so far.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Christmas Present from Gideon Zhi

Hero Chronicle translation for SNES - untested on Canoe

edit: Tested on Canoe, seems to work fine.

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I did mine up earlier today. There's not many translations for Genesis, but most of the games I added work fine.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
I just grabbed myself a Japanese Mega Drive mini off eBay. Really looking forward to playing around with it. I see project Lunar auto scrapes game info and covers off the web! Why did Hakchi never get this feature? A lot of my SNES Classic games are missing publisher and year info because I couldn't be bothered.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Has there been a way to get the SNES Classic Controllers (that were released for the SNES App on Switch) to work with the Classic?
I think the 8bitdo receiver probably can be used to sync with those. Just need to update the firmware.

Most people say that the official SNES Switch controllers aren't as good or versatile as the 8bitdo SNES clone controllers anyway, but if you already have one... probably worth grabbing an 8bitdo receiver

edit: I have a Nincade installed in my Classic. It works fantastically well with the 8bitdo SN30 Pro controller, and apparently syncs with Switch controllers (so therefore might work with the SNES Online controller too) but I can't promise that. It's great anyway, 100% discrete, and you can still use an original controller in port one if you wish.

Last edited:

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Indeed.... looks like 8bitdo haven't released their new firmware for a while now. Might be worth hassling them about it, perhaps they will send you a beta (referred to in linked post). But if you don't already have the official Nintendo controllers, an 8bitdo SN or SF controller is potentially a better choice anyway.