• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Aye.

Plus Contra III's hack now saves high scores and stuff, and it won't load if a save exists at all. I assume the others don't have that feature at least.
Gotcha. For Gradius and Contra - I haven't seen that they've been updated to handle Canoe SS/R features.
BTW, I haven't seen the links for SMW on his site: do you know where it's hosted?

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
Nope, disabling the save just breaks it working at all in Canoe. I uploaded them before testing, I should've tested them first.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
hakchi CE 3.7 is out. Includes more robust support for the Sega Genesis Mini, and apparently also frees up more NAND space on all the systems it supports.

I haven't made the jump because the Options Menu Deluxe hmod that I like so much is broken as of 3.6.0. And I'm pretty happy with my system's setup as it is.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious how the Sega support compares to Lunar

Just the fact it doesn't have a boot-menu screen makes me prefer hakchi over Lunar.

It has folder support and you can launch RA games through the UI. Lunar will do that too, but right now it doesn't.

What I do wonder is how the patches work. Apparently the Lunar guys have some patches for some of the games that don't work, and I'm wondering if that's something hakchi will do too?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Just the fact it doesn't have a boot-menu screen makes me prefer hakchi over Lunar.

It has folder support and you can launch RA games through the UI. Lunar will do that too, but right now it doesn't.

What I do wonder is how the patches work. Apparently the Lunar guys have some patches for some of the games that don't work, and I'm wondering if that's something hakchi will do too?

While I enjoy the work the ModMyClassic team does, I just dislike the boot screens they inserted in both the PSX Classic and Genesis Mini mods.

Instead of forcing stuff like the Emulation Station and Retroarch boot screens that Project Lunar has, I greatly prefer the much more minimalistic and more user customizable approach that Hakchi provides.

I want all four of my Mini Classics to be as stock as possible, just with the additional games. I haven't checked if a superior alternative to BleemSync for the PSX Classic exists, but anything without a boost screen that immediately goes into the stock setup would be nice.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Is Lunar actually working on patches for game with issues? I know they have some already, but they're mostly PAL fixes and such.

Does Hakchi have the issue where you lose your saves if you add/remove games (due to the weird indexing)?

Has anyone here taken the plunge to try it out?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
While I enjoy the work the ModMyClassic team does, I just dislike the boot screens they inserted in both the PSX Classic and Genesis Mini mods.

Instead of forcing stuff like the Emulation Station and Retroarch boot screens that Project Lunar has, I greatly prefer the much more minimalistic and more user customizable approach that Hakchi provides.

I want all four of my Mini Classics to be as stock as possible, just with the additional games. I haven't checked if a superior alternative to BleemSync for the PSX Classic exists, but anything without a boost screen that immediately goes into the stock setup would be nice.

You can actually disable those boot menu screens and load directly to the UI. It still appears for a split second though.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is Lunar actually working on patches for game with issues? I know they have some already, but they're mostly PAL fixes and such.

Does Hakchi have the issue where you lose your saves if you add/remove games (due to the weird indexing)?

Has anyone here taken the plunge to try it out?

1) They said they are, but we'll see to what extent.

2) Don't know yet.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, 3.7 apparently frees up some space on the NAND for NES/SNES Classics so you get more to work with (add a few more games?). That at least to me seems worth the upgrade.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Does Hakchi still set off alarms with Antivirus software? I would love to throw more games on my mini's but I'm not down for disabling all my av protections for a program to do that.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't updated hakchi on my NES Classic, but on the Genesis Mini both retroarch and hakchi run really fast. That 5 second delay when loading NES/SNES games on the NES/SNES Classic is pretty much instant in the Genesis Mini. I don't know if it's the same on the NES/SNES Classic though. The system boot time still takes a bit longer than the old hakchi2, but it's not as long as previous Hakchi CE's.

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
I was worried as versions passed 3.7.3 were a bit unstable for me and had errors. There is an update option when I open Hakchi now and I worry if I update now it may break the project i'm working on (USB setup with 1500+ games for partners siblings) and so much work and tedium had gone into it lol

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If you don't need to update or don't need a new feature, then don't update.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I cannot get Illusion of Gaia to work through Retroarch , every time I boot the game up the screen is black for a few seconds and then goes back to the menu. I did put the —Retroarch on the end of the command line also but I don't know what to do. It worked before when I had a prior Hakchi version.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If you're using hakchi CE, just right click on the game and select the core you want.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm going to update my SNES Classic to the new Hakchi CE. I'm still using the old Hakchi 2.30.

I turned on my SNESC after a long time and I noticed that games with retroarch take like 4-5 seconds to load, so it's really not that different from the time RA takes to load a game with the new hakchi. I was under the impression that old hakchi/retroarch was faster when loading games, but apparently it isn't. That was one of the main things keeping me from updating.

The system itself does take longer to boot compared to the old hakchi, but it's only a few seconds more and honestly, by the time I turn on the system and go back to my chair, the system is already on the main menu.

The main reason to upgrade is that with the new hakchi you now have like 100MB of extra internal space (same for the NESC). So for someone that doesn't want to use a USB, that's amazing. Also, KMFDManic is going to release a minimalist Retroarch that removes a lot of the bloat and that should take even less space on the system and possibly make it load faster too.

I also want to add the Super Game Boy, and for that I need a modern retroarch.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good if you use Retroarch. CE won't fix the Canoe issues so it's useless to me.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Does CE really give more space compared to old Hakchi? Or is it they just cleaned up their bloat enough to free that space back up?

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
It's not 100mb though. More like 50mb, and if you are changing just for that, you could get that back in the say with that mod you mention.

I will likely upgrade when I get my Mega Drive mini. We'll see if I end up keeping two versions running (currently on 3.5.2)

Last edited:

arkiokin

Jul 15, 2018
I think I'm going to update my SNES Classic to the new Hakchi CE. I'm still using the old Hakchi 2.30.

I turned on my SNESC after a long time and I noticed that games with retroarch take like 4-5 seconds to load, so it's really not that different from the time RA takes to load a game with the new hakchi. I was under the impression that old hakchi/retroarch was faster when loading games, but apparently it isn't. That was one of the main things keeping me from updating.

Strange : for the 2 games I use old retroarch with 2.21f, the time to load games is only less than 2 seconds more than canoe's load time.

Concerning the 3.7 version and its memory space gain, seems to depends on the system's configurations (personally, I quickly tested, and I would gain something like 93 MB if I'd switched to this version). This gain of space is pretty different than the "50 MB extra storage mod", since this mod sent your saves on this restrictive 50 MB area and only there. So, if you used it, the memory space available on the Nand, outside these 50 MB was not used anymore for save states, and so was lost, in a certain way, when you finished to add games.
With 3.7, this extra space is useful for all your operations (add games AND save states). For example, with only 30 MB left on the Nand before (old hakchi), you could choosed to use these 30 MB for your save states, or install the 50 MB mod and use 50 MB max for your saves and 30 MB for additional games. With 3.7, you can now use 30MB + 80~100 MB additionnal space so 110~~130 MB total memory space for your save states and additionnal games : only concerning save states, it should be a gain of at least 50 to 80 MB, even if you used the 50MB extra storage mod in a old hakchi.

However, for the moment I don't plan to switch on this version, since all my tries on successive CE versions were disappointed on some other points (especially not at all reliable when doing a ton of changes, like tested games and covers tested, so CE always "failed" when too sync° operations werer launched on a week)

Maybe later, but it will need a large bunch of tests before being really confident on it, and I, honestly, don't really need so much more space for my save states (since I don't use a lot of them). I played so much games with 2.21f, it will be difficult to have the same "feedback of reliability" with another version now.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
If you're on 2.21f, and you want to try a newer CE, can you make a back-up of your hacked classic, try CE or experiment, and if you want to go back to your previously hacked version, just reload your hacked back-up? Seems like it should work.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
If you're on 2.21f, and you want to try a newer CE, can you make a back-up of your hacked classic, try CE or experiment, and if you want to go back to your previously hacked version, just reload your hacked back-up? Seems like it should work.
Or you can just use the standalone exe and not install it on your pc. That way you can have several versions in separate folders. Each folder will contain a backup of all your rom files, covers, emus, etc... That's how I manage mines for nes and snes mini. I use a different version for each

demi

Oct 27, 2017
They are two different apps pretty much. If you want to "try" CE you pretty much need to uninstall old Hakchi and then install CE.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Download and install the core.

Either that or you have a bad rom.
I've downloaded and installed all the SNES9X cores and still nothing. The rom worked before on a previous version of Hakchi. When I updated everything the Retroarch stuff stopped working. Just wish Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma worked on canoe.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
I've downloaded and installed all the SNES9X cores and still nothing. The rom worked before on a previous version of Hakchi. When I updated everything the Retroarch stuff stopped working. Just wish Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma worked on canoe.

Chances are you're using an old version of Retroarch at this point? My suggestion:
1. Click Kernel > Reset. This will uninstall all non-default hmods. This will help you avoid any conflicts.
2. Click Modules > KMFD Mod Hub and download the latest Retroarch on there, along with one of the SNES9x cores. I tend to use the 2010 one the most.
3. Install Retroarch and SNES9x with Modules > Install extra modules

Hopefully the games work after that.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I have returned. Time for fun(but hopefully not a ton of issues like last time) with the command line, decided to add a smattering of best hits of gba

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Chances are you're using an old version of Retroarch at this point? My suggestion:
1. Click Kernel > Reset. This will uninstall all non-default hmods. This will help you avoid any conflicts.
2. Click Modules > KMFD Mod Hub and download the latest Retroarch on there, along with one of the SNES9x cores. I tend to use the 2010 one the most.

It finally works! I really appreciate your help!

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Snes9x 2005 is the one with the best compatibility.