• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
demi thats wierd on 3 it starts but then the initial splash doesn't show up other than a fragment of the purple line. Any advice?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
demi thats wierd on 3 it starts but then the initial splash doesn't show up other than a fragment of the purple line. Any advice?

I am literally playing the game right now without issue. Make sure you patched your game right I guess. Are you using SFROM Tool? I do not use it, so cannot help with that.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Well I guess I can share some boxart I prepared for these releases. Luckily the final logos weren't too far off what I'd already made. Rather than trying to replicate the logos from the translation patches 100% I went for a blend of the official Japanese box logo and the translated logo hence the "Go for it!" text is a bold white font rather than blue outlined text like in the patch.
uc
uc

uc
uc

Oh and since I was in a box designing mood I made some other misc boxes:

uc
uc
uc
uc
uc

Oh and I know some people have wanted higher res versions of these. Well since they were designed to be shrunk down I've sometimes done things a little lazily knowing the size reduction will hide that + some assests are hard to find in good quality so they may not look as good as the SNES Classic sized ones. However, I've put some together on the Google Drive (you can also find all the previous designs I've posted before). Note that most of these will be European designs only cos those are what I work on, but I may re-create the NA equivilents in the future.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Yep. If there's one thing I've learned since I started regularly applying translation patches a year and a half ago, it's to always check that the rom's CRC matches with the one listed on RHDN.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
You'd think someone doing a translation would use the most recent version of a game, given they tend to squash bugs and the like.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yep. If there's one thing I've learned since I started regularly applying translation patches a year and a half ago, it's to always check that the rom's CRC matches with the one listed on RHDN.

I have never ever, in all my years of patching, needed to check a game's CRC.

As long as you have a proper dump, and not some dump from 1998, you should be fine.
Most issues arrive with headered/non-heathered ROMs, and that's solved extremely easy with TUSH.

Pro Tip: Headered ROMs are old as fuck.

Apr 19, 2018
Since there's been renewed talk of Goemon -- and I apologize if this had already been answered in this thread -- is the first Legend of the Mystical Ninja working properly on SNES Classic?

The game always hung up and froze on me during the Sasuke kite boss fight. I've always had to use the password to bypass the fight and skip to Warlock Zone VI just to continue.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Since there's been renewed talk of Goemon -- and I apologize if this had already been answered in this thread -- is the first Legend of the Mystical Ninja working properly on SNES Classic?

The game always hung up and froze on me during the Sasuke kite boss fight. I've always had to use the password to bypass the fight and skip to Warlock Zone VI just to continue.

It's been a long time since I played it on my SNES Classic, but I don't remember having any issues with it. I do have it running with the preset ID of 1047 though.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
You need the preset to resolve the first game's issues, it was known to error/freeze early on

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

I've got the first on my Classic but I haven't given it a proper run yet, checking for that error sounds like a good enough reason to give it a go in the next couple of days. It's got the preset so if it that fixes the issue I probably won't run into it. I should also mention that it's patched with the SRAM save + "retranslation" that's available on Romhacking.net

EDIT: to go along with the box arts above, here are some related thumbnail icons if you like to use those

Goemon-1.png
Goemon-2.png
Goemon-3.png
Goemon-4.png

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Turns out it was the sfrom tool screwing things up, used a seperate ips patcher and now everything is good. Which is nice cause now I'm done messing with my Snes classic for a while

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Well I guess I can share some boxart I prepared for these releases. Luckily the final logos weren't too far off what I'd already made. Rather than trying to replicate the logos from the translation patches 100% I went for a blend of the official Japanese box logo and the translated logo hence the "Go for it!" text is a bold white font rather than blue outlined text like in the patch.
uc
uc

uc
uc

Oh and since I was in a box designing mood I made some other misc boxes:

uc
uc
uc
uc
uc

Oh and I know some people have wanted higher res versions of these. Well since they were designed to be shrunk down I've sometimes done things a little lazily knowing the size reduction will hide that + some assests are hard to find in good quality so they may not look as good as the SNES Classic sized ones. However, I've put some together on the Google Drive (you can also find all the previous designs I've posted before). Note that most of these will be European designs only cos those are what I work on, but I may re-create the NA equivilents in the future.

Nice one!

I'm hoping we'll eventually get a N64 mini in the interim between the Switch and the next Nintendo console release. I'll be set to jump back in then with those designs!

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Just a heads up, scuttlebutt on the translation for Goemon 3 is that it makes use of a transphobic slur with one of the npc's. Sounds like an update to remove it is coming, but I'm put off from what I'm hearing about the translators' views.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
My bad, I didn't know there was a separate thread just about those those translations. Didn't mean to completely derail, just wanted to flag it for folks here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Benedict

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Is there any way not to lose games when I switch systems with hackchi?
After I did my megadrive mini I went back to the Snes Classic that I already hacked and all of my games disappeared, was replaced with the ones I used with Megadrive?
Can I sync the Classic with the PC without losing/replacing what's on the device already?
Something I'm missing, doing wrong?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Is there any way not to lose games when I switch systems with hackchi?
After I did my megadrive mini I went back to the Snes Classic that I already hacked and all of my games disappeared, was replaced with the ones I used with Megadrive?
Can I sync the Classic with the PC without losing/replacing what's on the device already?
Something I'm missing, doing wrong?
I have a folder for each platform and each have their hackchi in it. That way I never have to switch console in hackchi. Works for me.

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
The version from Masterfox linked in the article has a corrected header and is edited to play the whole game. I have that one running in canoe on the 3ds so it should work on the SNES Classic.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I added goemon 2 and 3 to my snes classic. No problems with Goemon 2 but goemon 3 has nothing but a black screen.

Is there a known issue running it in canoe, or something I mis-patched?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Welp, tonight after playing something like 20 minutes worth of multiplayer Uniracers with friends using Sluffy's latest patch, eventually the music just froze
on a note that just kept playing until the end of the race, after which the game froze on a black screen and had to be restarted. Sounds like his patch had unexpected consequences since it was never tested enough...

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, tonight after playing something like 20 minutes worth of multiplayer Uniracers with friends using Sluffy's latest patch, eventually the music just froze
on a note that just kept playing until the end of the race, after which the game froze on a black screen and had to be restarted. Sounds like his patch had unexpected consequences since it was never tested enough...

Expected. Is this reproducible? Or was this a one-off occurence

Can you try the same thing without any modifications?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Expected. Is this reproducible? Or was this a one-off occurence

Can you try the same thing without any modifications?

Oof. Not sure I have that kind of motivation.

Edit: Besides making progress requires finishing tracks, which is almost impossible in the unpatched version since the second player appears in the middle of the screen at all times.