• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spidey

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Updated, that was faster than I anticipated.

Thanks for sharing! It's a bit basic but I'll use it until I find something better.

Yeah, it would be preferable if it was closer to the Super Famicon boxart. How have you got on with the game by the way? The Google doc said it has sound problems but I had it crashing to a black screen as well.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Would "extra_space" need to be uninstalled & reinstalled?

--edit

nevermind, he's done that thing again where updates are folded into an earlier release, so I assume there are no actual changes to extra_space

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do the DBZ Butouden games and Hyper Dimension work now? Last time I checked NTSC Butouden 1 worked fine, but 2 and Hyper Dimension didn't. Yes, I'm talking about the NTSC (i.e. Japanese) versions in each case.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
So I don't see it in the OP. How do I upgrade to the latest version of Hatchi and not lose anything in my config or saves?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey Robin, just want to give a big thanks for responding to the old thread while making this one as well. You continue to be a big help.

As far as Terranigma goes, I probably won't be able to convert my Retroarch save to Canoe since I'm using an SFROM format. It still looks a big too complicated for me anyway, so it would probably be best to start over. It was only about 4 hours progress lost anyway, I could catch up to Chapter 2 pretty quickly.

That just leaves Treasure of the Rudras and Secret of Mana (with the improved translation patch) as games I really want to work properly. I prefer not using Retroarch since it introduces (a tiny bit of) extra lag and no rewind features.

starflyer

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, perfect. Got Terranigma working properly with this patch. It's an all-in-one for NTSC conversion and then the Canoe fix. No audio errors at all!

(I also used uCON64 to fix the checksum, but I don't think that's important at all, I just like it that way)
Thanks for posting this, Terranigma finally works perfect for me on Canoe! I've been working my way back and moving my collection from using Retroarch to Canoe, the difference in input lag is noticeable enough for me to care.

Spidey

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I managed to update it by just restarting Hakchi (without the SNES connected) a couple times, eventually it told me a new firmware was available and I downloaded it that way.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, perfect. Got Terranigma working properly with this patch. It's an all-in-one for NTSC conversion and then the Canoe fix. No audio errors at all!

(I also used uCON64 to fix the checksum, but I don't think that's important at all, I just like it that way)

Is this a more improved patch than the second patch the guy on Reddit posted? I applied that one while following the order of installing (font patch>header>NTSC>canoe patch). For this patch you posted, it adds the NTSC conversion and the canoe patch together, thus making the font patch optional?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Is this a more improved patch than the second patch the guy on Reddit posted? I applied that one while following the order of installing (font patch>header>NTSC>canoe patch). For this patch you posted, it adds the NTSC conversion and the canoe patch together, thus making the font patch optional?

Yeah, it's a better patch. I left the font patch out because while it does make the font a bit nicer, it messes up other areas of the game just enough to annoy me.

But if you want an all in one NTSC+Font+CanoeFix patch, that's here.

ruvcan

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, it's the patch in this reddit OP:
https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/78pu0f/terranigma_playable_with_canoe_maybe_more/
Just apply it with LunarIPS or whatever onto the proper Terranigma ROM and it should work fine.

Edit: Also, apparently it's quite easy to create an autoplay demo for any added game:
https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmo...eating_a_classic_demo_for_an_added_rom_canoe/
I'm thinking that if one changes the -snapshot-period to something very large, you could create a pretty long demo without taking up a lot of space (since inputs take much less space than a savestate).

Just tried it and it work, thank you, you made my day!

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Updated to 2.21f just now, is it just me or does the ui actually feel smoother?
Yoshi's Island seems to be fixed (no sound distortion on the menu screen), now to try some other game.

Deleted member 7878

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, what is the procedure to update? I was on release "d".

i was on the original version and just update to F.

I downloaded Hakchi, unzipped it, copied the files into my original directory, overwriting everything when it asked,
Then, load Hakchi, flash custom firmware (you need to hold reset while powering on again for this)
It gave me some message about a checksum not matching which I skipped past.
Once it flashed the custom firmware again, I resynced then games.
It all worked.

The checksum message did worry me, but what the hell, I thought I could always reinstall the original kernel, but it all worked.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
So is it a great improvement running Seiken 3 on Canoe over Retroarch?

And would I be able to keep my Terranigma saves from Retroarch if I changed/patched the rom?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Great job Robin!

I remember reading something that Hakchi has some sort of database that auto-sends games it knows don't work with Canoe to Retroarch. Is that true, and if so is there anything that needs to be done to stop it from doing so with the patched terranigma?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
As a general rule of thumb, if a game runs natively it is better than Retroarch due to the rather severe input latency Retroarch introduces on here. (I am jealous of you if you can't notice)

Great job Robin!

I remember reading something that Hakchi has some sort of database that auto-sends games it knows don't work with Canoe to Retroarch. Is that true, and if so is there anything that needs to be done to stop it from doing so with the patched terranigma?

It might say "This game is known to have problems, would you like to use a custom emulator?" when added to hakchi, but you can just say no. To be doubly sure, make sure the command line doesn't end in --retroarch.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, so it just adds the retroarch argument? That's great, I was worried it did something under the hood. Cheers.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hakchi v2.21f Released
  • Screenshots without tearing (thanks to DanTheMan827!)
  • Slowdown fix.
  • Other tiny fixes.

I advise you all to get this version the "slowdown fix" is actually pretty crucial.

This confused me somewhat: the v2.21f version is timestamped as 15 days ago, and has the same changelog as 2.21e. However, it does seem to be the correct version to download, as the .exe within the .zip is indeed timestamped today.

b) stop your SNES Mini from destroying its NAND

I think that was confirmed not to be an issue? (the process that was executing multiple times per second didn't write, only read).

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, cluster often just adds new fixes to old releases and bumps the internal version number (2.0.21.72 here). Has thrown me a few times.

You can see the internal version number of your hakchi in help->about

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Even just reading can cause "Read Disturb", where nearby cells in the same block change over time and can be erased.

(From what I gather. Totally not an expert.)

Yikes. :S

Speaking of NAND degradation, uploading games via Hakchi and such should be pretty much inoccuous, right? I mean, it's only one write cycle per cell, so theorethically you should upload like tens of thousands of times to have any effect, correct?

Last edited:

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you Robin for all the work you put into this stuff. Love having those game fixes in the OP as well. Very keen to get SD3 running.

Oct 25, 2017
i was on the original version and just update to F.

I downloaded Hakchi, unzipped it, copied the files into my original directory, overwriting everything when it asked,
Then, load Hakchi, flash custom firmware (you need to hold reset while powering on again for this)
It gave me some message about a checksum not matching which I skipped past.
Once it flashed the custom firmware again, I resynced then games.
It all worked.

The checksum message did worry me, but what the hell, I thought I could always reinstall the original kernel, but it all worked.
Thanks for the info, I went through and followed your guide. It seems to have worked!

DenseProtag

Oct 26, 2017
Lots of compatibilty additions but most importantly fixes that:

a) stop your SNES Mini from overheating and
b) stop your SNES Mini from destroying its NAND

Do please update. :)
Wait what? I haven't had these issues with my SNES Classic yet but could you explain what you mean? I'm kinda scared of toasting my SNES Classic playing Date A Live or something now.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Well damn all my progress on Seiken 3 via Retroarch will be gone if I try to play with Canoe. Sadness.

On the other hand, Gaia runs great on Canoe outside of the black transparency issue on windows.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So I am updating to f and I get the checksum warning when updating the custom kernel. I clicked ignore it. Is that okay?

How do I know if this all worked?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yoshi's Island seems to be fixed (no sound distortion on the menu screen), now to try some other game.

Yeah, I noticed that it's significantly faster too. The pages load faster, the transition from game to home menu is quicker.

mattneil8

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Updated, that was faster than I anticipated.

Yeah, it would be preferable if it was closer to the Super Famicon boxart. How have you got on with the game by the way? The Google doc said it has sound problems but I had it crashing to a black screen as well.

I just got my SNES Classic on Sunday so I haven't had time to put any games on it yet. I may wait for more patches for Hakchi and games that are having issues.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Do the DBZ Butouden games and Hyper Dimension work now? Last time I checked NTSC Butouden 1 worked fine, but 2 and Hyper Dimension didn't. Yes, I'm talking about the NTSC (i.e. Japanese) versions in each case.

I messed around with Hyper Dimension using RetroArch for a few minutes. Everything seemed to be working fine. The Japanese version, I mean.

Mailenstein

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Made a few Super Famicom boxarts for a few NP flashcard releases in Japan which never had a proper retail release, so I thought I might share them.
Too bad there is almost no HQ official artwork from those days.

famicondetectiveanu91.jpg
punchoutafu0q.jpg
drmarioq6ure.jpg

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
So I've got a strange sound issue where certain songs mute out on specific notes. I've noticed it on both games built in (secret of mana), and others I've added (Super Mario All Stars, TMNT: Turtles in time). It's quite annoying and I have no idea what might be causing it. Anyone else experienced this?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hey Robin, just want to give a big thanks for responding to the old thread while making this one as well. You continue to be a big help.

As far as Terranigma goes, I probably won't be able to convert my Retroarch save to Canoe since I'm using an SFROM format. It still looks a big too complicated for me anyway, so it would probably be best to start over. It was only about 4 hours progress lost anyway, I could catch up to Chapter 2 pretty quickly.

That just leaves Treasure of the Rudras and Secret of Mana (with the improved translation patch) as games I really want to work properly. I prefer not using Retroarch since it introduces (a tiny bit of) extra lag and no rewind features.

You never replied to my possible solution to use multiple retroarch cores. Did you try it? Did it work?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

I don't know about smoother, but it does boot a lot faster now. Old versions had you wait almost 6 seconds for the system to boot the menu, with the new version the system boots as fast as a non-hacked one.

So I've got a strange sound issue where certain songs mute out on specific notes. I've noticed it on both games built in (secret of mana), and others I've added (Super Mario All Stars, TMNT: Turtles in time). It's quite annoying and I have no idea what might be causing it. Anyone else experienced this?

Don't know about All Stars or TMNT4, but that's normal in Secret of Mana. Some music channels mute to make way for the sound effects sometimes.Maybe it also happens in SMAS and TMNT4, but I never noticed.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Question:

The first SNESC I hacked was for a friend of mine, and I added a bunch of SNES and NES games. Then, when I hacked mine, I removed from the list all the games I wasn't interested in.

My friend is now coming back with his SNESC to install the new hakchi. If I do that, will having removed the games from hakchi mean his games will be removed too? Or do I just need to flash the custom kernel again without synchronizing and all his games will be fine?

What if he asks to add new games, will not having the games on the list remove the ones he has once I sync?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
A shame there isn't a fix for the Hi-Res mode for a modified Secret of Mana with the variable width font exists yet.

Someone over that the Reddit released a patch that apparently works on a modified version of the game, but I tried it myself both on a headered and non-headered version and patch doesn't seem to do anything.

I suppose it's just a matter of time though.

C-Drive

Oct 26, 2017
Question:

The first SNESC I hacked was for a friend of mine, and I added a bunch of SNES and NES games. Then, when I hacked mine, I removed from the list all the games I wasn't interested in.

My friend is now coming back with his SNESC to install the new hakchi. If I do that, will having removed the games from hakchi mean his games will be removed too? Or do I just need to flash the custom kernel again without synchronizing and all his games will be fine?

What if he asks to add new games, will not having the games on the list remove the ones he has once I sync?

Yes, you'll have to add his games back for syncing. To fix, don't use the web installed version of hakchi, use the .zip install. Have two separate folders of hakchi, one for his and one for yourself.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. I'm not using the web installer, so I'm okay in that regard.

So, crap, I have to re-add all his games and boxarts or else they will be deleted on his system if I sync...

But I can flash the new custom kernel and his games will be intact, right?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Just make a seperate folder for his SNESC, then FTP into it and download the entire games folder to hakchi's games_snes folder. Then when you reopen hakchi, all his stuff will be there, ready to sync properly.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Did they ever figure out how to bring the NES mini's NES emulator on the SNES mini? (Not RetroArch)

They did and it's over at Reddit. Search for something along the lines of "NES/SNES Classic Dualboot Mod v0.3. No more C7/C8 issues, fully compatible with hakchi2 v2.21d.". At a guess. I don't want to directly link as it has some files I am not sure should be distributed.