1. Neo Geo telling it like it is. Every time I beat someone on KOF, I tell them the SNK logo
    [​IMG]

2. TLZ

TLZ
    Banned Member

I'm seriously disappointed by the 3.5" screen. Like how crammed is this going to be? I was hoping for a 7-8".

3. TripaSeca

TripaSeca

Im very skeptical of this control stick. I mean I dont want to frenetically shake the whole system around while trying to beat KOF....

4. leder

leder

The video says it has an HDMI out at least.

5. TLZ

TLZ
    Banned Member

Yes but that defeats the purpose of a cab for me.

6. BadWolf

BadWolf

It's a handheld with a video out.

7. ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Yep. I would rather have a Neogeo console mini.

This thing needs to be heavy or else people will knock it over while playing.

8. Al3x1s

Al3x1s

That looks awful, even on the picture the buttons look like cheap plastic and it's tiny. This thing better not cost over $40 or something to even be worth consdiering as a novelty as far as I'm concerned.

Hopefully they make some premium $100 version with a more sensible bartop size and good quality controls. Something akin to an iPad2 stuck in an iCade batop overall size/quality wise. Nice selection of games though.

Edit: the controllers look promising, maybe if they're cheap I can get one for PC retro gaming, though for that I'd prefer a more versatile Saturn style pad (but obviously they wouldn't put 6 face buttons on a Neo Geo so that's not a criticism).

9. Devilgunman

Devilgunman

Wait, this thing is a handheld? I didn’t watch the clip but how do you play the stick like that handholding?

10. BadWolf

BadWolf

The stick is for your thumb.

11. Thanks for this. If it does turn out to be the real deal (and it sure looks like it is!)...SOLD! I absolutely love the look of it, and the Neo Geo CD style gamepads are awesome. That list is mind blowing for me, too. These titles alone:

Crossed Swords
    Robo Army
    Magician Lord
    The Metal Slug series
    Shock Troopers 1 & 2
    King of the Monsters 1 & 2

...Have me giddy. All it’s missing that I would have personally wanted is Riding Hero or Super Baseball 2020.

12. BadWolf

BadWolf

A picture from last year:

13. Devilgunman

Devilgunman

If its true then this is possibly the worst handheld ergonomically. I can’t imagine anyone comfortable holds and plays that thing. The Neo Geo X handheld looks like a premium product compared to this.

14. SenseiX

SenseiX

Them SNK connections.

15. Dambrosi

Dambrosi

Why are people suddenly just assuming that some random Youtube rumour is true? Hasn't anyone in this community learned their lessons yet?

For instance, who is this guy? I've never heard of Spawn Wave Media either. Seems odd for the confidential release details of a brand new and anticipated product from one of gaming's greats would just fall into the lap of some rando clickbaiter on the Internet. Of course, I'm fully prepared to be owned here, my scope of knowledge isn't universal.

Either way, I'm not believing anything until the thing gets unveiled at...E3, maybe? So not too long now.

16. Slam Tilt

Slam Tilt

Easier to build an SNK-themed cabinet and slot a Nintendo Switch into it.

EDIT Like this:
    [​IMG]
    (source)

17. ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Oh really? So it's easier to buy a 3D printer, buy the materials to print, buy the blueprints (or design your own) for the 3D Printer, then also buy a Switch, and buy each individual game too? You're right. That's so plug-and-play that I can't believe I never saw it.

18. Unseen

Unseen

Assuming this is real...

Great there is an hdmi port, limiting that kind of library of games to an weird handheld/mini cabinet hybrid would've been a misstep. Not to mention cramming all that wonderful pixel art to an 3.5" screen...

Sounded like usb controllers would need an separate adapter?

19. TLZ

TLZ
    Banned Member

It is, but I was never going to use that because I was looking forward to a cabinet. Like ReyVGM said, I'd rather have a console mini then.

20. KennyLinder

KennyLinder

I like the controllers, same/similar to the CD. Would be good for Switch :)

21. Oath

Oath
    Banned Member

If that's what they've come up with I'm afraid they're going to go bankrupt again very soon.

22. iamaustrian

iamaustrian

uh, that looks extremly uncomfortable to play with and tbh, having a switch, this would only serve me (personally) as some nice looking thing displayed on a shelf.
    and for that, the price will be probably way too high. I'm going with at least 100$

why must everything be 3D printed nowadays?
    How about some cheap plywood, a simple jigsaw and maybe an hour of handwork? You know, like older real arcade cabinets were made.

The only thing you would have to print are the stickers after a paintjob for the cabinet.

23. Raidou

Raidou

Looks nice, If it isn't too expensive i'll pick one.

24. ReyVGM

ReyVGM

I was replying to the link he posted, which was about a 3D printed cabinet. But even if it's with your method, it's still not easier (and not cheaper) than just buying the darned thing.

25. iamaustrian

iamaustrian

oh sorry, I somehow didn't notice the link before.

26. mao2

mao2

IMO it's cute! It'd be great if the gamepads are compatible with other consoles. The cabinet is showing Metal Slug, Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 and Samurai Shodown which are missing from the list. Perhaps there will be more titles included?

27. Napalmjam

Napalmjam

Missing a lot of good games but I think it looks cute . if its hackable I'll prob buy one if not I'll stick to my Pandora box 5 .

28. unicornKnight

unicornKnight

Missed opportunity imo, should have been bigger, people would buy it only to have an affordable arcade cabinet.

29. Rafako

Rafako

It looks too small, but I'm very interested in it. Needed something Neo Geo like this!

30. smuf

smuf

The most exciting thing about this is that they're doing a USB version of the Neo Geo CD pad.

31. Shuri

Shuri
    Banned Member

It looks hilariously awful. The original Japanese cab it's based on was super trash too.

I'm gonna be buying those new pads tho for my supergun setup.

32. Waffle

Waffle

I like the look of it but I wish it was bigger with arcade quality stick and buttons. Would have paid good money for that too but I’m not sure about this.

33. BadWolf

BadWolf

You might be right, who knows.

Will be waiting for impressions/reviews personally.

If the quality of the thing is solid then this handheld (plus HDMI) will be a heck of a lot easier for them to sell to the masses (and at a much cheaper price point) than an arcade cabinet.

34. Araujo

Araujo

honestly i would have prefered if it was a box with HDMI out so people can use whatever screen they wanted... it's neat, it's novel, but it's a niche collectible at best.

If they had released a standalone box with the games with HDMI out, 2 pads plus ports for controllers for 60-80USD and a Disc of just the games for PS4, Switch, Xbox and PC for 40-50USD i could see this making waves. As is, it will be "that neat little thing SNK did that a handful of people bothered to get".

35. twinturbo2

twinturbo2

On the one hand, I prefer the design of the MyArcade Data East cab. It looks better, and the stick and button layouts are better.

On the other hand, if I can hook this up to a TV, and use USB gamepads, then I’m interested.

36. Seik

Seik

Honestly I think they would've been better doing a Neo-Geo AES mini.

That 3-inch screen plus size of the whole thing doesn't really make it appealing to play it as is with my two big hands. Plus it drives the price of the thing up.

I may still get it though, depending on how the emulation is.

37. Wizzly

Wizzly

This is a mini cabinet arcade.
    This is too expensive, SNK is less popular than Nintendo, it won't sell as much as Snes mini.

38. twinturbo2

twinturbo2

Yeah, if it has HDMI out, then they could have ditched the screen.

39. Bjones

Bjones

That’s not a cab it’s super tiny. Like the whole thing is problem 8 to 10” tall.

But also snk completely neglects their non arcade titles like samurai spirits rpgs.

40. Celine

Celine

And water is wet :-)
    Of course it will sell less than Snes mini.
    Mega Drivi mini too will sell less.

41. eso76

eso76

I don't think it's even possible to actually "play" with such a tiny controller.
    I mean, it's nice but as someone said, there isn't a lot you will want to do with it besides having it sit on a shelf looking cute.
    I hope it supports external USB controllers at least.

As it stands it's not a cab but It's not exactly portable either because you're going to need a table or some kind of support.

42. shaowebb

shaowebb

This thing looks so damned good.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

43. Agreed. I want em. Keep the mini cabinet,

44. Al3x1s

Al3x1s

Dunno what the people calling it a handheld are on, regardless of its size that form factor is NOT handheld and a balltop even if short NOT thumb friendly, maybe on your lap at best, it definitely needs support beyond just your hands.

Hardware wise only those extra separate controllers look good to me but they need to be top quality, not like for example those Play SEGA controllers which looked the same visually but were nothing like the Saturn pads in practice.

I hope this cabinet is super cheap as it looks super cheap/inconvenient that only pricing could save it and they also make a proper bartop size premium one for double the price icade style, I'd actually buy something like that for myself.

45. Zubz

Zubz

Those buttons look way too cramped. It’s cool you get the majority of the Metal Slug series, but I don’t think I’m going to bite on this.

Well that’s a blast from the past.

46. Bjones

Bjones

It is a mini. It connects to your tv and it’s very tiny. That’s a 3” screen.

47. mao2

mao2

I see this meme all the time but water is not wet! >:(

48. Dag, this thing is cute. I was hoping it wouldn't be just Neo Geo games though.

I was holding out hope that it would have rotating joysticks to play authentic Ikari Warriors.

It's completely ridiculous but I kind of love it. The price though... My SNK based fandom could only manage $150 for that thing.

49. Keep fighting the good fight.

50. New Fang

New Fang

A NES Classic like device would have been a much better idea.