• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
One of my biggest gaming fails ever accounts to trading a Neo Geo console with Robo Army for a then brand new PlayStation 1 with Ridge Racer and Cyber Sled...that was in 1995. Never had a Neo Geo again due to the obscene prices for even used consoles... so, bring on the Neo Geo Mini and make a man happy again SNK!

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
A NES Classic like device would have been a much better idea.
Why? If you can plug it up to the tv like a switch to run big picture or use it as a mini bartop arcade its pretty well deadon gonna recapture both ways SNK was experienced. Great lineup.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Hopefully they make some premium $100 version with a more sensible bartop size and good quality controls. Something akin to an iPad2 stuck in an iCade batop overall size/quality wise. Nice selection of games though.

A bunch of yall are serious underestimating the cost of things. $100 for a bartop?! For real???

OP
OP
Sir Guts

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Here it is fam! Neo Geo Mini revealed! Thanks to shaowebb for sharing
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/04/snk-neo-geo-mini-revealed

7rZticz.jpg

7jx9ZQJ.jpg

bLNrsoq.jpg

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
A bunch of yall are serious underestimating the cost of things. $100 for a bartop?! For real???
icade launched for like $80 without a screen or internals outside the inputs, how much more would it cost if it was plastic instead of whatever material that was, and came with an 8-9 inch basic screen and some raspberry pi level hardware shoved in? It's not like I'm saying it should have a 4K HDR screen, sanwa inputs and Microsoft Surface 4 specs.

Last edited:

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
The most exciting thing about this is that they're doing a USB version of the Neo Geo CD pad.

If only it had six buttons like the old PS3 pads they made. I get why it doesn't, but it's yet another "almost perfect but..." controller in a market flooded with "almost perfect but..." controllers.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
How about some cheap plywood, a simple jigsaw and maybe an hour of handwork? You know, like older real arcade cabinets were made.

The only thing you would have to print are the stickers after a paintjob for the cabinet.

I would like to see someone build anything close to this level of finish in an hour. ESPECIALLY with only a jigsaw and some plywood. Show us how its done Norm Abram!

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
icade launched for like $80 without a screen or internals outside the inputs, how much more would it cost for an 8-9 inch basic screen and some raspberry pi level hardware shoved in?

And the icade is still terrible quality. Super tiny and incredibly light.

Often times on builds the screen is one of the most expensive componenets, hence why the icade used your own ipad to keep costs down.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
And the icade is still terrible quality. Super tiny and incredibly light.

Often times on builds the screen is one of the most expensive componenets, hence why the icade used your own ipad to keep costs down.
Okay, nice opinion, which is why I'm not saying a relatively cheap bartop should be better than icade quality but roughly on that level (when this thing from SNK looks to be worse) with a few Neo Geo tweaks and costing some 20-50$ more on top, yet you still respond to me like I have crazy demands. Seems like the crazy demands of way better than icade quality were yours, not in what you quoted/replied to.

And if you think icade is super tiny with its nicely sized 8 big buttons and full balltop stick and room for 9 inch screen tablets, the only issue being the stick is a bit close to the buttons (and buttons are LOUD, but play nicely), what is this?!

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not a cab it's super tiny. Like the whole thing is problem 8 to 10" tall.

But also snk completely neglects their non arcade titles like samurai spirits rpgs.
I didn't mean the actual arcade cab, I just expected a mini version that's not to crammed. Something like a 7-8" screen. Oh well. Won't happen now.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I could see myself being interested but I think this will be expensive.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This thing will cost $150, is impossible to see it at $100

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'll probably get the cab because I'm sucker for arcade sticks.

If that controller is anything like the NeoGeo pad they put out for 360/PC, it'll be godlike. So clicky.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Okay, nice opinion, which is why I'm not saying a $100 or so bartop should be better than icade quality but roughly on that level (when this thing from SNK looks to be worse) with a few Neo Geo tweaks and some more $ on top, yet you still respond to me like I have crazy demands. Seems like the crazy demands of way better than icade quality were yours, not in what you quoted/replied to.

No demands from me, just familiar with bartop/cabinet/pi style builds And components.

Bottom line is we just arent going to get anything quailty at anywhere near this price point. Quaility costs $$$ :)

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the mini-cabinet form factor, i just need to know about the emulation's quality and price.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why? If you can plug it up to the tv like a switch to run big picture or use it as a mini bartop arcade its pretty well deadon gonna recapture both ways SNK was experienced. Great lineup.
Because I don't feel like paying extra for the screen and whatever else it takes to make such a device.

It goes without saying a $75 version of this would sell a hell of a lot better than a $150 version.

Nov 2, 2017
Den Haag, Netherlands
I just hope they are a bit sturdier than the Neo Geo Pad USBs for PS3. The microswitches didn't last very long (meanwhile, my Neo Geo Pocket Color stick is still going strong 19 years later)
Not really comparable, but my Neo Geo X handheld microswitches are as clicky and tactile as the day I got them. Let's hope these are too. Nothing feels or sounds more satisfying.

Oct 29, 2017
I agree that this is likely gonna be around $150, thanks to the screen and form factor. Probably too expensive to be a success like the NES/SNES mini, but it might still carve out a niche amongst fans, assuming that the emulation isn't hot garbage like previous attempts...

Can't help but feel that the form factor is gonna hold it back, especially seeing as how the Switch already fulfills this role (and no doubt much better than whatever this turns out to be). Probably would've been better off just going for the AES form factor and including the controller; while allowing you to use whatever arcade stick you wanted.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I like the form factor, it feels very "Neo Geo". I mean, all the other "mini" devices are tiny little consoles, Neo Geo went out of their way to be different, release the luxury mini that pulls out all the stops, creating a pricier mini arcade machine including screen and joystick. Kinda wish it was a little less mini though :) Maybe a 6" screen. Maybe there will be different models to choose from; probably not, but I can dream!

Wish it had Viewpoint...

Kazo

Apr 10, 2018
I dig it!! The form factor is great to me and it has hdmi out as well. Day 1.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I would like to see someone build anything close to this level of finish in an hour. ESPECIALLY with only a jigsaw and some plywood. Show us how its done Norm Abram!

if you have the sketches and measurements I see no problem in cutting out the raw main parts in an hour. especially if you are experienced with a jigsaw.
I never wrote anything about the finish. of course with sanding, paintjob etc it will take way longer than an hour. probably days or even weeks.
I'm just saying that you could do it yourself without a 3D printer. hundrets of people build their own arcade cabinets all the time.
sorry if I came across cocky or something.

Shinriji

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, wait, so the pad buttons are

AC
BD

instead of

CD
AB

of the original NGCD pad?

Kill it with fire, preorder cancelled, etc, etc

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
At least for the cabinet you might be able to open it up and correct the button assignments.

Dec 6, 2017
US
What's up with compilations cherry-picking random titles in a long ass series? As in, why is Sam Sho 2 and IV and Special in there...why would 1 and 3 not be present?

Calm down, OCD...calm down