• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The controller seems to be very similar or identical to the PS3 NeoGeo Controller which I own. If that's true, it's a decent controller though the D-Pad... or slider.. whatever you want to call that thing, is a bit hard to use with 2D platformers because it has significantly longer travel distance until the button actuates compared to a typical D-Pad. It should have been improved if it was a bit smaller, similar to the Neo Geo Pocket's D-Pad-stick-thingy.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
What's up with compilations cherry-picking random titles in a long ass series? As in, why is Sam Sho 2 and IV and Special in there...why would 1 and 3 not be present?

Calm down, OCD...calm down
Those are the best selling most beloved games. Samurai Shodown 4 and 5 Special are my favorites. 3 is my least favorite (other than Sen and 6. But those weren't on Neo Geo so they don't count).

There most definitely will be a way, official or not, to add more games.

Depending on what the screen is, I think a $150 price is wishful thinking.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, wait, so the pad buttons are

AC
BD

instead of

CD
AB

of the original NGCD pad?

Kill it with fire, preorder cancelled, etc, etc
Didn't realise the change. :O

Well, I don't think it'll be a problem though. In fact, it actually makes more sense since in most fighting games A and B buttons are for weak attacks, and C and D are for strong attacks. It's now akin to the default button layout of KOFXIV.

Shinriji

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't realise the change. :O

Well, I don't think it'll be a problem though. In fact, it actually makes more sense since in most fighting games A and B buttons are for weak attacks, and C and D are for strong attacks. It's now akin to the default button layout of KOFXIV.

But KOF 14 don't use A+B+C or B+C+D (that is terrible to do in this new layout), even A+B or C+D is more natural on the old layout.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Those are the best selling most beloved games. Samurai Shodown 4 and 5 Special are my favorites. 3 is my least favorite (other than Sen and 6. But those weren't on Neo Geo so they don't count).

There most definitely will be a way, official or not, to add more games.

Depending on what the screen is, I think a $150 price is wishful thinking.

Nah I mean I can see that part but don't understand the exclusion in this context I guess. Would it actually cost SNK anything to add two more roms or whatever to complete the series? I don't know how this works technically on their end, it just seems bizarre to me to not just include them when surely it can't be due to lack of space etc.?

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Hmm... I wonder if there's any chance of a stateside release. Even if it's missing a few games that should be in it, that's still a cool as hell little unit.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so getting this, unless they're really hard to get like the Nintendo Classic editions.

It's going to be weird having this sit by your TV when you have it hooked up.

I even have that NeoGeoX thing made by Tommo (I think?), hopefully this thing won't have the terrible input lag that thing suffered from when you plugged it into a television.

Excitemike

Dec 20, 2017
This is meant to compete with the NES/SNES mini, it will be the same price point. Including a tiny 3" screen and some stickers is not going to make it $150.

I don't think it's right to call this a "handheld". Is there a battery? I would say it's a "mini tabletop".

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
if you have the sketches and measurements I see no problem in cutting out the raw main parts in an hour. especially if you are experienced with a jigsaw.
I never wrote anything about the finish. of course with sanding, paintjob etc it will take way longer than an hour. probably days or even weeks.
I'm just saying that you could do it yourself without a 3D printer. hundrets of people build their own arcade cabinets all the time.
sorry if I came across cocky or something.

Oh yea, that you could for sure do.

A lot of folks now do their stuff with cnc machines which cuts down time even further, but then if course...cnc machine.

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they want you to play in the mini cabinet, they just wanted to make it functional in my opinion.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
what

why

where is the correlation
giphy.gif
I'm gonna die if I don't get closure on that Altered Beast post

Damn near every single Sega compilation has some iteration of Altered Beast in it, despite the game being...less than good. It's a joke how ubiquitous the game is at this point that it is expected even in non-Sega products.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Damn near every single Sega compilation has some iteration of Altered Beast in it, despite the game being...less than good. It's a joke how ubiquitous the game is at this point that it is expected even in non-Sega products.
Altered Beast while not beeing an amazing game is still a rather good one

I'd rather play it than say, Golden axe

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
hmm that´s not what i wanted...i wanted a console that can be hooked up to the TV, not a mini arcade cab that looks not so great build quality wise...if they are selling these for 100 bucks it can`t be of good quality, for 100 bucks you can`t even buy an original Neo Geo Arcade Stick/Joyboard...

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
hmm that´s not what i wanted...i wanted a console that can be hooked up to the TV, not a mini arcade cab that looks not so great build quality wise...if they are selling these for 100 bucks it can`t be of good quality, for 100 bucks you can`t even buy a original Neo Geo Joyboard...
It can be hooked up to the TV and they are making usb3 versions of the neogeo cd pads

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
It's... It's so small, how're you supposed to play that? It barely looks bigger than the bottom screen on a 3DS!

Still a really cool thing and I kinda want it, but still...

Oct 26, 2017
Ummm... either the picture or the game list is wrong, because there are clearly marquees for Real Bout 2 and Samurai Shodown 1, none of which are listed. Also, why is the list completely unsorted?

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks cute I guess, but I'd prefer a mini version of the OG neogeo console without a screen since that would be cheaper. Also, this form factor means I'll need a tv anyway if I'm going to play with my kids.

Jtendo '82

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
Baseball Stars is the best Sports game(s) on the damn system and they're constantly overlooked.

Fucking hell, man!

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that's tiny "cabinet" is for real? Need to wait for impression about the emulation though. If it's half-assed like X Gold then it's worthless. I might buy it just to put it on the shelf, don't know.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Altered Beast while not beeing an amazing game is still a rather good one

I'd rather play it than say, Golden axe

I discovered Altered Beast one summer in a seaside arcade, and it became my second favorite game there (well, maybe tied with Shadow Dancer). But the favorite was Golden Axe, by far.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
It can be hooked up to the TV and they are making usb3 versions of the neogeo cd pads

ok, that sounds decent...need to wait for impressions about build quality, i am skeptical about the quality of the unit... but i am tempted to buy this just for "having it". it looks cute and it reminds me of the best gaming times i had in the 90s...

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Lack of Art of Fighting 2 and 3, Pulstar, Neo Turf Master, Sengoku 2 and Twinkle Star Sprites is disappointing and these are all games for which SNK have the rights without paying any additional royalties.
Yeah but someone remembered that Ghost Pilot exists

I wish we could get the Ghost Pilot 2 prototype

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
Damn if this had Metal slug 3 & Kof 96 , itt owuld have been the push needed to make me want one ..
Right now i'm not sure..

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
At this point, I just want a Switch dock that is shaped like this so I can get some arcade goodness on there. Most of the Neo titles are there or are coming from Hamster anyways. Plus, actual portability and all.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hmm that´s not what i wanted...i wanted a console that can be hooked up to the TV, not a mini arcade cab that looks not so great build quality wise...if they are selling these for 100 bucks it can`t be of good quality, for 100 bucks you can`t even buy an original Neo Geo Arcade Stick/Joyboard...

It has HDMI out, so it's a console

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that thing is $100 are thereabouts it is a day one purchase for sure. I just hope the build quality is on par with my old mini Popeye arcade machine.