• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

KOFXV:

He can't talk anything about KOF XV. Even if he wanted to, he don't know or see anything about the game, but maybe something will be announced in the next EVO, in this case EVO Japan. Apparently, this year we will have none or almost none information. All that can be said is that the game is being completely redone (no KOF XIV will be reused).

K9999:

About "the one replaced by Nameless", you can't talk about him at SNK at all, even if anyone wishes, for legal reasons. He claims it is safe to say that from now on, in any SNK game, he will never return.

Samurai Shodown Season 2:

Samurai Shodown season 2 will have many surprises.

More tidbits at the link and a video of the KOF98 Esaka stage IRL location with a visit to SNK's office.

Credit for find: bubumiao in the SamSho OT.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Fuck, I thought K9999 was possible if they just change his voice actor, and change his Ultimate to not be a copyright strike.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
No KOF14 assets being reused sucks. With proper lightning the models could look amazing. Plus a little less detailed models are to be expected in a 3 team fighter.

Got the feeling we're missing the huge roster as well.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
I just want them to explain what changed in the plot with nameless in the place of [redacted]...

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
There's a line when ripping off Tetsuo. You cross it when you make a character with K9999's design and animation. You dance across it over and over again when you hire Tetsuo's voice actor to play him, then hire Kaneda's voice actor to play a different character so they can do a "that's Mr. Kaneda to you" joke in their pre-fight intro.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Shame, the models are beautiful.
Some are passable (even when rendered elsewhere), but on the whole, I really wouldn't consider them beautiful. Technical issues aide, for me it's more of an aesthetic issue, so many of XIV's designs are considerably uglier, blander and straight up forgettable compared to what they designed for XII and XIII. I hope the characters in XV don't look anything alike in relation to XIV.

Anyway I assume they mean it's a new game and not an update to KOFXV, because I would be surprised if they don't reuse most of the animation they made for XIV, since a lot of it is actually pretty good.

aOmLJYN.gif

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The fact that K9999 exists is hilarious. It's a shame he's forever gone to the ether because he has some really cool animations.

Hopefully someone's snuck out whatever tech they use at Arcsystem Works.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
About "the one replaced by Nameless", you can't talk about him at SNK at all, even if anyone wishes, for legal reasons. He claims it is safe to say that from now on, in any SNK game, he will never return.

I'm confused by this. Does he mean he won't return at all (not even as Nameless), or does he just mean K9999 in his original form. Always thought the cult following still asking for him is really bizarre, I doubt they'll be deterred by this.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Anyway I assume they mean it's a new game and not an update to KOFXV, because I would be surprised if they don't reuse most of the animation they made for XIV, since a lot of it is actually pretty good.

It's the second most beautifully animated fighting game this gen.

The models need to go tho. There aren't enough lighting tweaks in the world to make them look great.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
KOFXIV has great models and great animation (mostly), shame they're dumping all that entirely instead of fixing the shading/lighting.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised anyone thought K9999 had any chance of ever making it back in any form whatsoever XD.

I'm a bit worried about them re-doing everything for KoF XV, I don't want them to end up in the same situation as KoF XII. Hopefully he meant that the models may be re-done or possibly switch to another engine (Unreal is a safe bet, I think).

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really believe that they won't reuse the models for some characters but the ones like Kyo/Andy they have to redo.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
While i am concerned that they're starting fresh, it seems they're getting familiar with Unreal ( i think Sam Sho 19 was developed for it). I wonder if they'll retain the same proportions or they lean more into a specific style like Sam Sho did or KOFXII/XIII with Nona/Ogura's style

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that K9999 exists is hilarious. It's a shame he's forever gone to the ether because he has some really cool animations.

Hopefully someone's snuck out whatever tech they use at Arcsystem Works.
One of my proudest achievements was from my casual days. I played as k9999 on PC. I played keyboard and that meant my direction inputs were with my right and attacks were with my left. I knew NOTHING about snk input shortcuts.

I mastered the k9999 super input to shoot noodle meats at folk on keyboard and lefty whilst still a kof scrub.
the-king-of-fighters-2002-gif-7.gif

K9999 I will miss you.

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they bring back all the characters from last game in the next KOF. The models could get some improvements and they would look great afterwards. It is the lighting that was the biggest problem in the game and the particle effects.

SamSho was great so I am expecting great things regardless.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused by this. Does he mean he won't return at all (not even as Nameless), or does he just mean K9999 in his original form. Always thought the cult following still asking for him is really bizarre, I doubt they'll be deterred by this.

Just K9999.

They can do whatever they want with Nameless.
I really hope they bring back all the characters from last game in the next KOF.

Doubt it, no way they will launch with 50 characters again.

People didn't appreciate it with XIV and just whined about lack of DLC support after launch instead of, you know, thanking SNK for giving all 50 day 1.

So yeah, I expect a launch roster of around 30-35, with consistent DLC ala SamSho.

Oct 27, 2017
Just K9999.

They can do whatever they want with Nameless.

Doubt it, no way they will launch with 50 characters again.

People didn't appreciate it with XIV and just whined about lack of DLC support after launch instead of, you know, thanking SNK for giving all 50 day 1.

So yeah, I expect a launch roster of around 30-35, with consistent DLC ala SamSho.
What you say is very possible.

I hope they do add the same amount as the last game but that is just me unrealistically hoping with using logic.

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
The gameplay in 14 isn't bad, they looked at 13 and toned down the touch-of-death and hail-mary aspects.

The usual best games in-series are built upon a previous element, 98 had a solid foundation to build upon same as 2002 (also Super Turbo, 3s, CVS2 etc). 13 was scrapped sort-of and we got 14 overhaul, now if they overhaul the gameplay again I think it won't hit it's peak gameplay wise. As they're constantly re-doing and trying some new stuff rather than "tweaking". Also I remember launch kof14 needed what look like an emergency patch because K was broke AF and some other stuff.

A direct follow up to 14 would enter 98/2k2 territory I think, at least from a gameplay angle. If they introduce an overhaul to the gameplay again it wouldn't be at it's peak refinement I think. "Let's try something completely new, it will make you go WOW!" is the sentiment I see, and that's not encouraging tbh.

Heh, I forgot that he was voiced by Tetsuo's actual voice actor from the movie...I've always been surprised that character happened at all.
he was? damn. didn't know that.

Last edited:

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
K9999:

Good. May Lee can get tossed in the trash too while we're at it.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Nameless is nearly identical gameplay-wise anyway. They changed the visuals on the moves that were too blatant.
Indeed. And while I wouldn't say Nameless would be considered "best character ever" or anything, I'd say that his design, backstory, and overall characterization are far preferable to that shameless ripoff all the same.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I disagree with people saying kofxiv looks bad, especially after patch. It is very solid looking, and much less blurrier than samurai, especially the stages. It is not outstanding, but it isn't horrible. Plus animation is great too.
Can't wait to see XV and wonder which style will they follow.
Also looking forward to season 2, having a blast with Samsho despite losing a lot

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what really?

Need to check this out....
Yeah, was how it went with the ports of '02UM anyway (much like how '98UM included the original '98). Of course, that also means the odd things about the original 2002 (i.e., no King as a result of May Lee being shoehorned in by Eolith to kick her off her own team).

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They should use Nameless again, it was a great design

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay in 14 isn't bad, they looked at 13 and toned down the touch-of-death and hail-mary aspects.

The usual best games in-series are built upon a previous element, 98 had a solid foundation to build upon same as 2002 (also Super Turbo, 3s, CVS2 etc). 13 was scrapped sort-of and we got 14 overhaul, now if they overhaul the gameplay again I think it won't hit it's peak gameplay wise. As they're constantly re-doing and trying some new stuff rather than "tweaking". Also I remember launch kof14 needed what look like an emergency patch because K was broke AF and some other stuff.

A direct follow up to 14 would enter 98/2k2 territory I think, at least from a gameplay angle. If they introduce an overhaul to the gameplay again it wouldn't be at it's peak refinement I think. "Let's try something completely new, it will make you go WOW!" is the sentiment I see, and that's not encouraging tbh.

If they just want to appeal to the same niche audience then sure, they can do more of the same and have a HD/max mode combo system again (which mainline KOF has had for the last decade).

If on the other hand they want the series to grow then they will have to take it in a fresh/surprising direction.

Good. May Lee can get tossed in the trash too while we're at it.

Nah, she's good and has a very cool and unique play style.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I would have hoped they reuse some of the work on the last one. It seems from what i heard they got the gameplay right, and that's a huge amount of work.

If SNK wants to bring back the god tier production value, they need to iterate..

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
If they just want to appeal to the same niche audience then sure, they can do more of the same and have a HD/max mode combo system again (which mainline KOF has had for the last decade).

If on the other hand they want the series to grow then they will have to take it in a fresh/surprising direction.
I hope their idea of growth is not chasing the e-sports crowd with gameplay revolving around blow-ups and upsets. They shy'd away from that going from 13 to 14. Refining on 14 would make the series grow. Trying something "completely new and fresh" gameplay-wise doesn't inspire confidence. 14's complaints weren't the gameplay really.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
To clarify KK's statement, something he said in Twitter thread:

I'll always feel like KOF XIV is a perfect example of how messed up many gamers priorities are. Value is a 3 hour non-interactive movie, not 50 characters with loads of development behind each of them. Bleh.

But there's lots of ways to reach the same results in different ways. "Free Season Pass" for Samsho, "Free Characters several months later" with Power Rangers B4TG, or having everything delivered up front such as KoF XIV. A lot of choices can cost the dev roughly the same, but get different customer responses. SamSho's way of delivering a better-than-average roster to early adopters surely generated much more positive press than XIV's way. XV will hopefully continue the same trend.

I'd love to see a KOF that could just... grow over a few years. I'm sure that's what they'd have to do to get graphic whiners to stop. An "episodic" KOF would be a perfect way to handle all the souls that got released back into the wild in XIV. 94 through 98 revivals in 2020! Maybe we coulda had the same thing on day 1 with slightly worse special effects, or maybe we could have it 4 years later with UE4 standard lightwork and details, and paying 2 or 3 times more. If we all end up happy in the end, it's worth it...

Oct 28, 2017
Snk can do advanced and extra again. Do it like grooves. Snk classic snk advanced and snk extra. Snk extra is kof 14, snk advanced is kof 13,and kof 98 is snk classic.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope their idea of growth is not chasing the e-sports crowd with gameplay revolving around blow-ups and upsets. They shy'd away from that going from 13 to 14. Refining on 14 would make the series grow. Trying something "completely new and fresh" gameplay-wise doesn't inspire confidence. 14's complaints weren't the gameplay really.

Except there were plenty of complaints about 13 and 14's gameplay when it comes to accessibility. It's pretty common these days to hear that KOF is too hard to get into. That is not a good rep to have.

It doesn't matter how much easier they made Max combos compared to HD combos, people complain left and right regardless.

Seriously though, KOF always tried new stuff with every new saga. Nests had Armor Mode, Counter Mode, strikers etc. Ash saga introduced tagging, drive cancels, EX moves etc.

14 is the only one that played it safe by blending 98/2002/XIII.

Doing something fresh doesn't mean throwing everything out the window and doing something 100% different.

Last edited:

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
Except there were plenty of complaints about 13 and 14's gameplay when it comes to accessibility. It's pretty common these days to hear that KOF is too hard to get into. That is not a good rep to have.

It doesn't matter how much easier they made Max combos compared to HD combos, people complain left and right regardless.

Which makes completely overhauling the gameplay to appease a non-issue questionable.

Seriously though, KOF always tried new stuff with every new saga. Nests had Armor Mode, Counter Mode, strikers etc. Ash saga introduced tagging.

14 is the only one that played it safe by blending 98/2002/XIII.

Doing something fresh doesn't mean throwing everything out the window and doing something 100% different.
Except that's what I was debating regarding overhauling and resetting the gameplay. You took exception to this saying change is the way forward if they want a bigger audience, now you're saying "well they don't have to change everything" sort of agreeing with me lol.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which makes completely overhauling the gameplay to appease a non-issue questionable.

A shrinking audience is a non-issue?

Okay.

Except that's what I was debating regarding overhauling and resetting the gameplay. You took exception to this saying change is the way forward if they want a bigger audience, now you're saying "well they don't have to change everything" sort of agreeing with me lol.

What are you even talking about?

When people say they want the series to go in a fresh direction do you actually think they mean to take it in a 100% different direction where it's not even KOF anymore?

Really?