• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a time where a game simply being 2D automatically made it seem dated to people. I think the advent of 3d games and especially fighters was seen as the next step and phasing out 2D completely. Thankfully that didn't happen.

There was someone on the SRK forums that worked retail and talked about how negative buyers still are towards 2D.

Doesn't matter how good it looks, if it's 2D it's bad.

Last edited:

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Question for those who have experience with an MVS. What model is best to go for when you need a compact PCB that is easy to mod? Should I go with a MVS-1C, MVS-1B or other?

Over time this year I've been slowly building a desk size barcade using the JAMMArCADE 2P kit from retrobuiltgames. While I mostly built it to act as a supergun to run a few of my jamma boards on (Soul Edge has been great fun on this), I did for kicks try a Pi-Zero on it and the whole thing just felt off (also my wiring on input did not seem to register well on the gpios). So I'm instead planning to get a 1 slot MVS PCB to mount in it. I'll probably be looking to do both a stereo mod and unibios mod.

Side bit, I also picked up an MVS cart of Shamurai Shodown from a small game store today. It was only $50 Cad ($38 USD) but it's like the 3rd time i've bought it (Neo CD, AES & now MVS)
6TIHn_og8FGy7UTeWQfi6szh4WdvuUIia4-RpUh-EoC5kMo-qenrKGsVNnK0tw_ANjnNN67Ut1_JsrC1f7GAet8Af_eXL-m1gppfoqbP8OGSXahpkn_BdkgC19sLz3__isCk5N4LNQ=w2400

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Question for those who have experience with an MVS. What model is best to go for when you need a compact PCB that is easy to mod? Should I go with a MVS-1C, MVS-1B or other?

Over time this year I've been slowly building a desk size barcade using the JAMMArCADE 2P kit from retrobuiltgames. While I mostly built it to act as a supergun to run a few of my jamma boards on (Soul Edge has been great fun on this), I did for kicks try a Pi-Zero on it and the whole thing just felt off (also my wiring on input did not seem to register well on the gpios). So I'm instead planning to get a 1 slot MVS PCB to mount in it. I'll probably be looking to do both a stereo mod and unibios mod.

Side bit, I also picked up an MVS cart of Shamurai Shodown from a small game store today. It was only $50 Cad ($38 USD) but it's like the 3rd time i've bought it (Neo CD, AES & now MVS)
6TIHn_og8FGy7UTeWQfi6szh4WdvuUIia4-RpUh-EoC5kMo-qenrKGsVNnK0tw_ANjnNN67Ut1_JsrC1f7GAet8Af_eXL-m1gppfoqbP8OGSXahpkn_BdkgC19sLz3__isCk5N4LNQ=w2400
MV-1C or bust IMO.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Any specific reason why? I'm leaning towards the 1C initially and luckily they're pretty cheap on ebay but I just wanted to check first.
for me, it's the size and top loading form. It also has marginally better video output, or specifically better color balance according to some N-G die hards. The 1FZ would be a good one if you don't mind a bigger PCB, as it has a socketed BIOS which can save a lot of time. Otherwise, you may look into getting a NeoBiosMasta for a cleaner install of the UniBios on the 1C.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
for me, it's the size and top loading form. It also has marginally better video output, or specifically better color balance according to some N-G die hards. The 1FZ would be a good one if you don't mind a bigger PCB, as it has a socketed BIOS which can save a lot of time. Otherwise, you may look into getting a NeoBiosMasta for a cleaner install of the UniBios on the 1C.
Thanks for the info, sadly I do think 1FZ would be too large for the size constraint I have to work with so I guess a 1C it is.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fingers crossed for something at Evo Japan.

SamSho Season 2 is a given I think. SNK's community manager mentioned that we should be hearing more about it soon with the completion of Season 1. Iirc he also said that it will be very surprising and people haven't guessed who will be in it.

KOFXV though, that is the question. If they want to release it before Evo2020 then the reveal will have to be soon.

If it's cross-gen or next gen then we might see it at Sony's PS5 event with a release in the fall.

Oct 25, 2017
Fingers crossed for something at Evo Japan.

SamSho Season 2 is a given I think. SNK's community manager mentioned that we should be hearing more about it soon with the completion of Season 1. Iirc he also said that it will be very surprising and people haven't guessed who will be in it.

KOFXV though, that is the question. If they want to release it before Evo2020 then the reveal will have to be soon.

If it's cross-gen or next gen then we might see it at Sony's PS5 event with a release in the fall.
I think SNK is gonna have a very big presence at EVOJapan. Haohmaru trailer for Soul Calibur, Samsho Season 2 (Since we already know Mina and Sogetsu are in it so I imagine they'll show all the characters like they did Season 1,) and (If its still planned for 2020) I believe KOF15 will be shown there. I think they're going to do what Arcsys did with Guilty Gear Strive. First Look/ Gameplay snippets at EVOJP and then first playable build at SWC Finals.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think SNK is gonna have a very big presence at EVOJapan. Haohmaru trailer for Soul Calibur, Samsho Season 2 (Since we already know Mina and Sogetsu are in it so I imagine they'll show all the characters like they did Season 1,) and (If its still planned for 2020) I believe KOF15 will be shown there. I think they're going to do what Arcsys did with Guilty Gear Strive. First Look/ Gameplay snippets at EVOJP and then first playable build at SWC Finals.

Yeah if XV is to be revealed at an FG event then it will most likely be either EvoJapan or the SNK World Championship finals (in March).

Other than that the only big media events till Evo will be Sony's PS5 reveal and E3.

Worth noting that both KOFXIV and SamSho were revealed at Sony events.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

yo, NGWT3 happening in Morocco right now. The NeoGeoNow guy is actually commentating which is pretty awesome honestly. 02UM and XIII goodness! There are also tournaments for SS7, XIV, and good old '98. M' is in the building.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I though this would be fun to post. I now have a MVS Bartop, sort of...

RMAs1tTOXxrWFhbdyMStStsaLpcUv87o9H22J_BLDGVXOUm5OuHmtpnDXnjQjFLVY2WMZS78JxBS0B28p7pgJh148tp2q8N-rFf1ky_EU6UO4bGAeVBRgWAd_OhGt2W3QA1QYT8UqA=w2400
wejvPLbNXhpC7aXJgG9O9oifrk9sMIBQY93thWovBIAQQTK48KzZzFLaVCDVTMNdOSrzXpVbA-nzOm4oJ-A5WWQpb0nnD7rs2pDP6ODs8RmD3AoEkvE7BnpyqsY-tbPf0HDUAHdnKQ=w2400

I ended up with a MVS-1B but realize now that it was a mistake due to the 1B being too tall (felt smaller in photos and it was only $42). So I'll probably be ordering a 1C in the near future since the cart is 90 deg to the PCB. So I can have the cart fit into the gap towards the buttons and have the PCB sit along the back panel. Once I get the 1C i'll probably consolize the 1B and give it to a friend.

Now I just need to go play Russian roulette on some cheap MVS carts (yes I do know about MVS-Scans).

Jul 17, 2021
Ashame that this is SNK's only Game Boy game. They prob would have been remembered as one of the top devs for it more had they continued on with it: