• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Seems like a Neo Geo Mini is coming

Interesting. I wish it was something more than that, as someone who owns an AES, lol.

Here's a quick and dirty translation for people who want it btw:
This year marks the 40th anniversary of SNK. As a thank you to fans of series such as KOF, Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown, Metal Slug, and so on, we're introducing a new console containing popular Neo Geo titles. Please look foward to it!
I hope the emulation is better than the NGX at least

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
20180421_183556.jpg

I got a really cool Samurai Spirits x Hardcore Chocolate x SNK shirt. The shirt is close to USA sizing, like a 2xl is an American 2xl, not a Japanese 2xl. And the shirt is very soft and high quality. It rivals the softness of one of my $200 loopwheel wakyama t-shirts, so it is worth it.

They ship anywhere. The site is all Japanese and very difficult to navigate. So if you want to order and need help please let me know and I will help you.

130003841_o5.jpg

http://core-choco.shop-pro.jp

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I finally got around to watching King of Fighters Destiny up to the ending. Why did they shaft the AoF team so badly? Even in the AoF flashback they made Ryo only beat King because she hesitated due to her brother. And then both were completely irrelevant after that flashback.

Geese also was a much better villain than Rugal, who somehow ended up with less build up in spite of being the actual final antagonist.

It was fun though.

Lurkyseas

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
I'm wondering who the final four characters will be for the final character pack next year before KOF XV officially starts developing? Takuma? Shingo? Duo Lon? Shen Woo? Hinako? Kasumi Todoh?

We've already gotten Rock, Ryuji Yamazaki, Blue Mary, Vanessa, Whip, Heidern, Oswald & a new character being Najd.

I know that such important characters like Chris, Shermie, Yashiro, Chizuru, Elisabeth & Ash Crimson won't be making the cut until KOF XV.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering who the final four characters will be for the final character pack next year before KOF XV officially starts developing? Takuma? Shingo? Duo Lon? Shen Woo? Hinako? Kasumi Todoh?

We've already gotten Rock, Ryuji Yamazaki, Blue Mary, Vanessa, Whip, Heidern, Oswald & a new character being Najd.

I know that such important characters like Chris, Shermie, Yashiro, Chizuru, Elisabeth & Ash Crimson won't be making the cut until KOF XV.
Man thats hard to say. There are a lot of great cast just laying in the wings in SNK history. I know Kim Sue IL has been on the final cut of multiple KOF titles in the past just always barely missing the final roster cut. They really like that Taekwondo Staff user. Probably because when he was made for Kizuna Encounter he was made after a real life master of Tae Kwon Do. SNK do love them some tribute characters even if sometimes they result in trouble like K9999 being removed to create Nameless.

My list of important cast that I'm looking to see appear soon in 14 or 15 are:
  • Shion
  • Shen Woo
  • Elisabeth
  • If they lay story ground work for 15 Possibly Shroom, Botan, or Rimelo from the "Those from the Past" crew that were mysteriously around Ash but never playable
  • Duo Lon
Why I'm only looking at these folks is that KOF 14, KOF 13, and KOF 11 all heavily involved these folks due to the Ash storyline leaving mysteries about the character and the crews that were either with him or after him. Shion's fate has been up in the air since 11 and teased hard. Elisabeth, Duo Lon and Shen Woo were all part of a team at one point and the last we had seen of Oswald was him breaking up with Shen Woo and Ash in KOF 11 and in 13 Oswald was gone, and Ash was alone while Shen Woo paired up with Elisabeth and Duo Lon.
Now Oswald is back though and none of the folks he was with are here.
Thats a lot of story set pieces and interactions between all these folks. I keep thinking Oswald's return warrants some of the others to come back to tell how things went down between them all and Ash. If we see one the others shouldn't be kept far behind unless they are held back for KOF 15 story revelations. I think "those from the past" will finally make someone playable (likely shroom) and give us some more depth on their deal.

Personally I want Adelheid because he's a beast but unless they wanna tackle Rugal's return (which would be awesome) I doubt we see any Bernstein soon. That said I just got a feeling that these faces I mentioned are coming soon. They may all be held back for 15 since they are story players and DLC so far has been about bringing back popular fan favorite playstyles more than anything else though. Shen Woo/Duo Lon definitely have high odds in BOTH scenarios bein both story tied and popular IMO. I'd be happy with any of em.
For shit I just like though I'd want Chris/Shion/Jhun Hoon/Lee Pai Long/ Shen Woo/ Adelheid because those were my boys I played. Im expecting several I listed though to make it instead.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017

Kukri and his peeping eye. And Kula has her original 8-bit design from the April Fools RPG. Shermie is gonna be a star in this mode, with her Semi-casual clothes making it seem a bit more natural.

If that SamSho Mobile game is basically our way to get a worldwide release of a SamSho RPG, I'm quite accepting of it, at this stage.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
^Very nice, really wish the current SNK produced more iconic 2D art (akin to the old days).

I got a really cool Samurai Spirits x Hardcore Chocolate x SNK shirt. The shirt is close to USA sizing, like a 2xl is an American 2xl, not a Japanese 2xl. And the shirt is very soft and high quality. It rivals the softness of one of my $200 loopwheel wakyama t-shirts, so it is worth it.

They ship anywhere. The site is all Japanese and very difficult to navigate. So if you want to order and need help please let me know and I will help you.

http://core-choco.shop-pro.jp

Whoa, thanks for posting. I'll probably pick one up.

I finally got around to watching King of Fighters Destiny up to the ending. Why did they shaft the AoF team so badly? Even in the AoF flashback they made Ryo only beat King because she hesitated due to her brother. And then both were completely irrelevant after that flashback.

Geese also was a much better villain than Rugal, who somehow ended up with less build up in spite of being the actual final antagonist.

It was fun though.

The story focus was very much on Kyo and the Fatal Fury team this time around, and we knew this would be so before they even started airing the first season.

Honestly though when it comes to KOF, the AOF team has never really been a serious part of the story. Just look at their endings, most of them are comic relief. Overall I enjoyed their presence in Destiny (worth it for Ryo's bicycle scene alone).

Tbh I don't think there will be another round of DLC for XIV, expecting KOFXV to be the next stop.

Kukri and his peeping eye. And Kula has her original 8-bit design from the April Fools RPG. Shermie is gonna be a star in this mode, with her Semi-casual clothes making it seem a bit more natural.

If that SamSho Mobile game is basically our way to get a worldwide release of a SamSho RPG, I'm quite accepting of it, at this stage.

Glasses Mai...

Is it just me or are Kula's facial features in the improved engine looking closer to her Kula Guns fan render model (which was XIV's model with new lighting)?

Not sure how many folks here still care about the hardcore aspects for KOFXIV, but I'll share anyway.

Frame Data and Hitbox Gallery are both updated for 3.0/ 3.01. Enjoy:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...4InN2X2TvegowxVh9G8Rn6l4vA/edit#gid=678913978

Saw this one twitter, can't thank you enough for this work.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
^Very nice, really wish the current SNK produced more iconic 2D art (akin to the old days).

Glasses Mai...

Is it just me or are Kula's facial features in the improved engine looking closer to her Kula Guns fan render model (which was XIV's model with new lighting)?

hqdefault.jpg

Speaking of their 2D, I also appreciate all the 2D art for Heroines. It does feel like they're trying to inject some of the 2D back into their games, which I definitely appreciate.

I definitely think she looks better, but it's Athena's face that impresses me the most. Ever since watching her mimic Fuuurieeeza for her CDM, her face has looked more off [strike]and lacking in babyphat[/strike] than preferred, but she looks cuter here, as does Yuri (though she was already the perfect amount of adorable derp in XIV anyway). The expressiveness from these photo-modes and poses poses seems pretty well done. Definitely better than the deadpan faces the DOA girls had while trying to look sexy at times. It's hard to look sexy when your scared and fighting faces look exactly the same.

Looks like Sylvie and Zarina leaked in SNK Heroines.

I saw this from that point, but is this an update from the JP page for heroines? I hope this suggest our soon-to-come reveals. Works perfectly for me, they're definitely my favorite to play of our newest ladies in XIV. I'd think it'd be hard to embarrass Zarina, and I feel Sylvie would probably be enjoying herself as much as Shermie. It took so long for Oswald to get development outside of the 1 game he appeared in. I'm so glad to see 2 of our KoF newbies getting more in an actual game this swiftly.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

Speaking of their 2D, I also appreciate all the 2D art for Heroines. It does feel like they're trying to inject some of the 2D back into their games, which I definitely appreciate.

I definitely think she looks better, but it's Athena's face that impresses me the most. Ever since watching her mimic Fuuurieeeza for her CDM, her face has looked more off [strike]and lacking in babyphat[/strike] than preferred, but she looks cuter here, as does Yuri (though she was already the perfect amount of adorable derp in XIV anyway). The expressiveness from these photo-modes and poses poses seems pretty well done. Definitely better than the deadpan faces the DOA girls had while trying to look sexy at times. It's hard to look sexy when your scared and fighting faces look exactly the same.

*bro fist*

Really appreciate them going the extra mile of drawing unique art for the extra costumes.

Yeah the faces in general have improved quite a bit and also agreed on facial expressions. As mentioned in the other thread they are really going nuts with Sylvie's expressions, moreso than any other 3D game out there it feels like.

They have also updated their engine to give sort of drawn contour lines to the character models.

Speaking further of Heroines, do you think that silhouette picture is the size of the roster?

If true then I guess we have all the KOFXIV haters to thank, since they were so busy whining about the graphics instead of appreciating the gigantic roster.

Edit: Nvm just saw Gamer4life's post in the hardware announcement thread.

Looks like their more serious take on the Neo Geo X handheld.

The list of games is really solid. If the build quality is good (both as a handheld and via HDMI out) then it could do really well for them.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I respect that the neo geo mini includes all the good kof.

But I don't know, at this point they have released those games so many times that the line up doesn't excite me at all, as questionable as the playmore era games were, I still want to see them included just for historical purposes, like ROTD or SVC. Also being able to see some third party games like breakers revenge or matrimelee that have not been officially released in who knows how many years

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
*bro fist*

Really appreciate them going the extra mile of drawing unique art for the extra costumes.

Yeah the faces in general have improved quite a bit and also agreed on facial expressions. As mentioned in the other thread they are really going nuts with Sylvie's expressions, moreso than any other 3D game out there it feels like.

Reminds me of the SFIV era of expressiveness. It's a shame Capcom dialed their expressions back, as it was always funny to see the reactions to wakeup supers.

But yeah, Sylvie is such a treasure, lol. There's just not many characters out there that express themselves in such over-the-top ways, especially as female characters from fairly mainstream Japanese works. I appreciate the new blood that led to her creation.

They have also updated their engine to give sort of drawn contour lines to the character models.

Speaking further of Heroines, do you think that silhouette picture is the size of the roster?

If true then I guess we have all the KOFXIV haters to thank, since they were so busy whining about the graphics instead of appreciating the gigantic roster.

It's budget cel shade! Looks a lot thicker than the few times it's used in XIV for straight outlines, and I do like the idea. Gives it a bit of a manga look, but I don't know if it's strong enough / works well enough with their coloring style to really get people attention.

I have no idea what they're planning with this roster now. 14 seems low, sure, but with all the extra work each character is getting through costumes, artwork, accessories, 3 different sets of voice work, and whatever happens in the story mode, this... might be a great game to sell DLC? Though my greedy hope would be a cast of unlockable / secret characters that equals the number of front-and-center ones. It'd be so hype to have the logo glitch out during the last reveal, and reveal another set of silhouettes, starting with Rimururu and like... Cathy from Top Hunter.

Also wouldn't mind an original character or 2. Or Ai from NGBC showing up... because... why not.

Looks like their more serious take on the Neo Geo X handheld.

The list of games is really solid. If the build quality is good (both as a handheld and via HDMI out) then it could do really well for them.

If this is the real thing (and what an odd leak it is?) It sounds like a solid value, if priced like other retro units. Even $4 per game, making it $120, would be a pretty amazing amount, considering the quality of Neo Geo titles. HDMI-out and USB controllers all sound like fantastic features to make it a solid item to carry around to friends and hotels while on vacation or something.

If it's competitive with something like the SNES classic... then that'd be nuts.

If it was just a single player handheld, I'd be a bit more put off. But a portable Neo-Geo Box that'd reduce wear-and-tear on other systems and controllers, for a sub-$100 price would be fairly nice.

I respect that the neo geo mini includes all the good kof.

But I don't know, at this point they have released those games so many times that the line up doesn't excite me at all, as questionable as the playmore era games were, I still want to see them included just for historical purposes, like ROTD or SVC. Also being able to see some third party games like breakers revenge or matrimelee that have not been officially released in who knows how many years

It'd be nice, but I don't think they'd be able to devalue those games enough to put them in a bundle yet. There's very few re-releases of them, and with other collections coming out that'll likely cost more per purchase, why put them on a machine like this?

KSB KOFXIV tournament:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/257528337##

The first match is between Score from Japan and Madkof (who is using Chang...).

Oooo, it happened already! That's those JP hours for ya. I see Heidern had a showing from some browsing, definitely wanna see how the new DLC was received by serious players in such a setting.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what they're planning with this roster now. 14 seems low, sure, but with all the extra work each character is getting through costumes, artwork, accessories, 3 different sets of voice work, and whatever happens in the story mode, this... might be a great game to sell DLC? Though my greedy hope would be a cast of unlockable / secret characters that equals the number of front-and-center ones. It'd be so hype to have the logo glitch out during the last reveal, and reveal another set of silhouettes, starting with Rimururu and like... Cathy from Top Hunter.

At the end of the day the game's main purpose is to attract a new crowd so taking that into account then a 14 character launch roster with a lot of customization could make sense, especially since it isn't a full priced game. Show a 50 character roster character select screen to casuals and they would run for the hills.

The silhouettes were difficult to make out as is so adding more in there could be considered overkill so you could be right about them hitting us with another set of silhouettes after the current ones are revealed. It would also make sense for them to hold off releasing more characters until after launch to keep the interest going via a continuous stream of post launch character releases.

Also wouldn't mind an original character or 2. Or Ai from NGBC showing up... because... why not.

I'd love to see Ai make a return. She was really cute in NGBC with great animation and pretty unique gameplay.

ai-super2.gif

ai-tetris4.gif

airun.gif

Oooo, it happened already! That's those JP hours for ya. I see Heidern had a showing from some browsing, definitely wanna see how the new DLC was received by serious players in such a setting.

Heidern and Najd were doing really well at KSB and also at the Chinese tournament this week (where GXBridget owned Xiaohai with Najd). Oswald also had a solid showing, ET kicked a lot of ass with him. Mary on the other hand isn't seeing that much use so far.

Also, apparently Heroines will be playable the entire weekend at KSB. Wonder if we will get some footage and if they have a new build.

I'm surprised someone is still trying to make Chang work. In the whole KOF series he has never been this slow and weak.

Definitely, especially since he even used him in the Top 4.

Chang was also in the grand finals of the KOF97 Chinese tournament this week.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Chang is top 3 in KOF97. Decent speed, very good reach and damage. Chang started to sink in the tiers when the systems added to the games favor combos over normals and zoning.

True but Chang's team in general in XIV is just wacky and they decided to keep them that way gameplay wise as well through the patches instead of making them like the rest. Xanadu also doesn't benefit much from max mode but has a pretty fresh play style and set of normals overall.

Characters like them aren't really popular picks anyway unless they are top tier or broken.

Either way, Madkof aside there was also a Japanese player that did really well with Chang at a JP tournament filled with killers so people can make him work if they want.

Last edited:

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Question for those who play non Neo Geo Fighters.

What top 3 brawlers/action game that came out for the Neo CD would you recommend, that isn't Metal Slug? Sure i've played a bit of Nam, Magician lord or Shock Troopers in the past but never excessively nor any of the others. So if you were to buy a few, which of the top 3 would you get? Also I exclude Metal Slug because I've played that way too much and i'm looking for something else. Also the reason I say Neo CD is because I will be picking up a copy for that system.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
This incarnation of Rugal was nothing more than the final boss and a puppet for the Hakkeshu. Maybe, we will see Rugal's personality in the upcoming season.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Came across this:

Are they doing another world championship?

What top 3 brawlers/action game that came out for the Neo CD would you recommend, that isn't Metal Slug? Sure i've played a bit of Nam, Magician lord or Shock Troopers in the past but never excessively nor any of the others. So if you were to buy a few, which of the top 3 would you get? Also I exclude Metal Slug because I've played that way too much and i'm looking for something else. Also the reason I say Neo CD is because I will be picking up a copy for that system.

Check out Sengoku 2, Mutation Nation, Pulstar and Top Hunter.

You should definitely also play more of Shock Troopers if you can, fantastic games. Many prefer them to Metal Slug, the first Shock Troopers in particular is held in very high regard. I love em both.

So, a new ad has just being released in China to promote Destiny's (the mobage) upcoming release that is total trip

Video is still not on YT but it can be seen here https://www.digitaling.com/projects/27191.html or here: https://v.qq.com/x/page/f0650mtyjwr.html

zuFgeoG.png
6427oXD.png
u64Rbis.png

Whoa, that was definitely something. They put way more effort into that than I expected.

Found it very interesting that they went with older looking actors/theme instead of sticking idols in there or whatever. Also interesting that the production/cast is Japanese, would have thought they would go for Chinese actors etc.

Would you guys be down for a live action movie like this? Either way I think it's safe to say that this trailer alone blows that previous joke of a KOF movie out of the water.

Last edited:

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Check out Sengoku 2, Mutation Nation, Pulstar and Top Hunter.

You should definitely also play more of Shock Troopers if you can, fantastic games. Many prefer them to Metal Slug, the first Shock Troopers in particular is held in very high regard. I love em both.

Thanks, I do want to give sengoku series a try so maybe i'll pick up that one.

It's a shame shock troopers didn't get a neo cd release or I would have gotten it by now. =(

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, has SNK even mentioned anything about SamSho's 25th anniversary?

Isn't it odd that we aren't hearing much about it? No anniversary logo, nothing.

Also, Neo_G seems to be kinda quiet for a while now. He was very vocal during and after KOFXIV's release but after around the time the 2.0 patch hit it feels like he hasn't been as active.

My hope is that they announce a new SamSho at E3 (which would be just in time for the anniversary on July 7th) but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks, I do want to give sengoku series a try so maybe i'll pick up that one.

It's a shame shock troopers didn't get a neo cd release or I would have gotten it by now. =(

Yeah that's a bummer for sure, but at least it has been ported to Steam and other systems so there are options.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Good to finally see the full arts. Sylvie has... HEART HEALS to her Bunny Shoes? Cocorina actually looks kinda like an alt I could tolerate in KoF XIV too. I like how these remind me more of Tekken or Soul Calibur Alts, than Street FIghter ones. And it's nice this much is base-game stuff, rather than DLC. We get less and less full model redesigns in games now, included with the base price.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017

And thus, Famitsu is revealing Love Heart being in SNK Heroines, eh? Guess a trailer isn't too far off. Wonder if we'll learn more?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Im really confused on what's Love Heart status within SNK

Shinriji

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My list: Top Hunter, Ninja Commando and Pulstar. If you don't wanna deal with the obscene prices of Pulstar, go with Last Resort.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love Heart should be fun for people, she is easy to play and pretty cool in general.

A showdown with B. Jenet would be nice...

They could handle it the same way Capcom handles the Strider IP.

Could be, it's basically great advertising for the new owner.

The new IP owner probably has a deal letting SNK use her for the time being since that should help promote whatever games they use her on later.

Wonder if it's something more permanent otherwise I'm not sure why SNK would bother continuing to push the character (who most SNK fans didn't really know previously).

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love how happy Sylvie is to snitch on Kukri lol.

Man with a 14 character roster, the vast majority of which are from KOFXIV, this game must have a somewhat small team working on it.

The smaller roster does make sense with the audience they are aiming for but at the same time it also makes it more likely that there is a main team working on a bigger project at the same time.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
How the fuck do I order those hardcore chocolate shirt for America? Holy hell

~HOW TO ORDER FROM core.choco.jp~
It's really easy following these steps:

1) Have a PayPal and be logged in. Just save the username and password in your browser.
2) Just use your PC to do this, I used Microsoft Edge browser. Don't use your phone because the page doesn't display properly...
3) Navigate to the page, click translate in the upper corner to make everything English, place your items in the cart, click on the cart.
4) Click this button to go to the address entry page:

5) This is the tricky part, so be careful and study the picture.

Enter your name normally in the first line. But, LEAVE THE PHONETIC LINE BLANK.

In the prefecture, State/Province Select Overseas, at the very bottom.

for the zip code line, just add 2 zeroes behind your zip code. It needs to be 8 numbers. DON'T WORRY, BECAUSE YOU CAN PUT YOUR REAL MAILING ADDRESS IN LINE 2.

6) When you're all set, click the orange button in the bottom right.

7)If you've done everything correctly, you'll get to the shipping page next. You want to select International EMS shipping.

8) Again, click the orange button at the very bottom right to proceed.

9) Now, this is as far as I could with pictures because I don't want to submit a fake order with my IP attached to it. But, once you click that button, you'll get to a page where you can select the 2nd option to pay with PayPal. Pick that and click the orange button again. You'll instantly get an order confirmation e-mail and be whisked away to the PayPal page that is in Japanese. This is where having been already logged in to PayPal helps...

Verify that what you want to order is correct. The click the LARGER 'Decision' blue button.

If you did everything correctly, you'll get to a plain white page thanking you for your order. CONGRATULATIONS!! You did it!! :)

Last edited: