• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, for the first time in my life I managed to 1cc KOF95 without using save states, oddly enough, saisyu/rugal was very easy with Kyo

It felt great to befeat Rugal in this way. Now I want to 1cc the metal slug games, but I don't know if I would be capable of doing it

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Did the Local Anime Con yearly fun this year, and one of my main points is always to play as much Random KOF and SNK as I can.

But at the same time... there's never a greater time to see how ignored certain fighting game series are, compared to others, than at an event like this. Also never a time for me to see how much I dislike PS4 controllers, but that's another rant, lol.

I got to play the weirdest stuff... Double Dragon (the one that ties into the Movie Game), some of the most REAL SamSho II I've played in years (Always emphasizing how little I think about things like blade catch, kick use, and the short hop in that game), Breakers 2 (Tia is so modern KOF Yuri that it's great), and the random playing of SVC Chaos (which I enjoy, even if I feel worse at it each time, lol.) On the non SNK / Neo Geo Side, I got to play Chaos Code VS some live people for the first time in ages, but my time with it was much too short. Much like UNIEL/UNIEST, I swear it's a much more fun, varied fighter than given credit for.

Also Played the Fate Unlimited Codes Capcom Fighter (wish I got it on PSP back in the day, or that we had a proper console release), Rumble Fight 2, Fighting Layer, and Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle (which I think looked better on a stretched flat screen TV than I expected?!) I had no love personally for modern 3D fighters, and to see BBCTB and Chaos Code replaced in their machines by SFIV and V totally killed my interest in using that machine, lol.

I never like dropping back into BlazBlue, because, much like GG, they're not fun if you're not well versed in the latest awkward patch shifts and changes. The gap between "let me get my bearings..." and "I've been playing this non-stop for 3 weeks!" is so different, that it's not welcoming to return to, and the mid-point isn't fun at all.

But this totally makes me enjoy BB Cross Tag Battle more. And much like enjoying CVS2 because it lets me play KOF with a more interested group, that the same thing CTB lets me do with UNI characters. Unlike SamSho, however, where it felt like I was playing a person that knew the game more intimately than most I've ever fought... BBCTB was pretty much just a demonstration of how to frustrate players with my Waldstein, lol. No-one was willing to lame him out. And he shines when I can read and counter active opponents. That's cool. But when people are willing to back up to a corner and do almost nothing un-safe, while having worlds more control at those ranges than I do, then he struggles. So I never really had to struggle, I just got to play him as I wanted, with little resistance.

And it really is those kind of shifts that makes fighter so fun to play. Frustrating, too! Like... I swear most of my loses in KOF XIV were due to the PS4 controller in part, since I dropped stuff I was way to calm and focused to be dropping. Playing a majority of the Neo Geo games on actual Neo-Geo sticks felt pretty great, save for the Ball top on it annoying my hands much more than any other stick for the first day.

I didn't play any CVS2 this year, but man... I wish there was something new like that, which would help SNK games cross a bit into the mainstream again. It not only helps at times like this, by making that one relevant game get more play, but it also helps general consciousness SO much, and gets the classics and others played more. Geese is a great first step in T7, but I definitely wish it'd happen more often. The biggest plus I see from Tag Team Heroines in a situation like this, is that having it, KoF XIV, and maybe even XIII, will give more of a chance for there to be a section that plays modern SNK games, rather than the 1 spot for XIV, and the one spot that has a super-cart with neo-geo classics on 1 TV.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Did the Local Anime Con yearly fun this year, and one of my main points is always to play as much Random KOF and SNK as I can.

But at the same time... there's never a greater time to see how ignored certain fighting game series are, compared to others, than at an event like this. Also never a time for me to see how much I dislike PS4 controllers, but that's another rant, lol.

I got to play the weirdest stuff... Double Dragon (the one that ties into the Movie Game), some of the most REAL SamSho II I've played in years (Always emphasizing how little I think about things like blade catch, kick use, and the short hop in that game), Breakers 2 (Tia is so modern KOF Yuri that it's great), and the random playing of SVC Chaos (which I enjoy, even if I feel worse at it each time, lol.) On the non SNK / Neo Geo Side, I got to play Chaos Code VS some live people for the first time in ages, but my time with it was much too short. Much like UNIEL/UNIEST, I swear it's a much more fun, varied fighter than given credit for.

Also Played the Fate Unlimited Codes Capcom Fighter (wish I got it on PSP back in the day, or that we had a proper console release), Rumble Fight 2, Fighting Layer, and Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle (which I think looked better on a stretched flat screen TV than I expected?!) I had no love personally for modern 3D fighters, and to see BBCTB and Chaos Code replaced in their machines by SFIV and V totally killed my interest in using that machine, lol.

I never like dropping back into BlazBlue, because, much like GG, they're not fun if you're not well versed in the latest awkward patch shifts and changes. The gap between "let me get my bearings..." and "I've been playing this non-stop for 3 weeks!" is so different, that it's not welcoming to return to, and the mid-point isn't fun at all.

But this totally makes me enjoy BB Cross Tag Battle more. And much like enjoying CVS2 because it lets me play KOF with a more interested group, that the same thing CTB lets me do with UNI characters. Unlike SamSho, however, where it felt like I was playing a person that knew the game more intimately than most I've ever fought... BBCTB was pretty much just a demonstration of how to frustrate players with my Waldstein, lol. No-one was willing to lame him out. And he shines when I can read and counter active opponents. That's cool. But when people are willing to back up to a corner and do almost nothing un-safe, while having worlds more control at those ranges than I do, then he struggles. So I never really had to struggle, I just got to play him as I wanted, with little resistance.

And it really is those kind of shifts that makes fighter so fun to play. Frustrating, too! Like... I swear most of my loses in KOF XIV were due to the PS4 controller in part, since I dropped stuff I was way to calm and focused to be dropping. Playing a majority of the Neo Geo games on actual Neo-Geo sticks felt pretty great, save for the Ball top on it annoying my hands much more than any other stick for the first day.

I didn't play any CVS2 this year, but man... I wish there was something new like that, which would help SNK games cross a bit into the mainstream again. It not only helps at times like this, by making that one relevant game get more play, but it also helps general consciousness SO much, and gets the classics and others played more. Geese is a great first step in T7, but I definitely wish it'd happen more often. The biggest plus I see from Tag Team Heroines in a situation like this, is that having it, KoF XIV, and maybe even XIII, will give more of a chance for there to be a section that plays modern SNK games, rather than the 1 spot for XIV, and the one spot that has a super-cart with neo-geo classics on 1 TV.

I love those SNK retro tournaments, you discover new things and since rarely anyone plays those games daily in a hardcore way, the matches are generally very close.

Btw anyone bought msxx? Looks better than in the 360?

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if this was posted but here's some direct feed Heroines footage, the frame rate is a little funky though.

Something really interesting happens at 2:36, Mai dodges Athena's DM using the tag animation. Looked like a big window of invincibility.

That announcer sounds like a creep lol.

Wow, for the first time in my life I managed to 1cc KOF95 without using save states, oddly enough, saisyu/rugal was very easy with Kyo

Great work man, the older arcade games can be brutal.

If you are going to tackle Metal Slug then the first one is probably the easiest one to 1cc (and honestly it's still my fave MS).

Sounds like an awesome time.

Double Dragon: It was in my arcade back in the day and got a lot of play. Lots of cool characters and moves. Basically it was way better than it had any right to be for what it was.

Rumble Fish 2: Was always bummed that we never got a console port of this, only know it from youtube. Did play the first game on PS2 but just single player unfortunately. Loved how they used Air on the G String for the boss music.

SVC: Dunno why but I have a soft spot for this one and really dig the old school sounding sound effects and music. The retro sprites for the SF characters are great too. I remember the first first time I went online with it (on Mame) when it was just emulated and ended up playing against a Capcom fan. He would use all Capom characters and I would go for the SNK ones, so it was literally SNK vs Capcom for a really long session lol.

As for making SNK relevant in the console space again, I'm not sure it can be done if they just stick to making a fighter every couple of years. They have to look to other genres that can have wider appeal.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know that CVS2 is way better than SVC in almost all aspects, but I still like SVC more, with its jankiness and all

At least the roster is better by how varied it is, feels more like an SNK vs Capcom instead of KOF vs SF

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
Dunno if this was posted but here's some direct feed Heroines footage, the frame rate is a little funky though.

Something really interesting happens at 2:36, Mai dodges Athena's DM using the tag animation. Looked like a big window of invincibility.

That announcer sounds like a creep lol.

Nice - I like the feel of the music throughout, gives off this "phantom of the opera" tone that works well with the manor stages and the Kukri/Sandel Dark cloaking, and hopefully should clash playfully with all the glittery tone of the attacks and "girly stuff" as the story progresses.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
I got this Samurai Shodown 2 Gamest Mook and made some scans with this phone app if you wanna see.

New_Doc_2018-05-31.jpg

New_Doc_2018-05-31_1.jpg

New_Doc_2018-05-31_2.jpg

New_Doc_2018-05-31_3.jpg

The book is huge, so you can let me know if you want to see something from you favorite characters or something. There's movesets and frame data pages. But most of that data is already available online already anyway.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Mian with the Office Lady and... Catria from Fire Emblem Heroes body twist, lol. Even with the nervousness in her other pictures, her default costume looks very bold. It feels kinda weird to see her do her moves out of her traditional get-up, but not bad.

We still haven't gotten an English version of that bigger trailer from Luong's Japanese reveal. And now 2 left to reveal... (and hopefully more...)

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
People are posting impressions of the Neogeo mini on twitter, since apparently it is being shown at E3.

"The Neogeo Mini is awesome I thought the little stick would be annoying, but I was able to use it fine and actually preferred it over the analog stick of the pad. Best mini console!"

"The best mini console The only flaw is that the international version doesn't have KOF 2003!!!"

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Who in their right mind would want KOF 2003 in their console

Is the only KOF game were I noticed some serious input issues

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
For a small desktop toy I think the Neo Mini will be a nice addition. I hope the rumored price holds out.

Anyways this finally showed up in the mail, kind of took for ever (what I get for going SAL). I'm quite happy with the pickup since over all it ended up pretty cheap. The game also feels a lot easier to play with the Neo CD pads.

kOs_y8TXkMDfUKRhxYU6k_VsndRS0lKxhItgcPjymMY4YBp4NtXpJxUgBEkjzsEA3HOxk7nv-VF-zNgTjI7yTsyQkHDv-QQ4pGiBRwnzukeDLRGny5uL3E2_w_rBTeFkO-8swwEqDg=w2400

Also side note, I finally got around to greasing up the cd rail on my Neo CD. My system has been slowly giving me more problems of not being able to start games in the bios but after the fix the system is back to working like normal. =D

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
For some reason I half expected there to be an announcement from SNK for the Switch, like the propused upcoming SamSho game lol.
Guess we'll see come TGS.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Which is the best ver. of KoF 97 on PSN? The Code Mystics one or the Hamster release? I mainly want it for versus play.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, though it spricier than the Hmaster port. Gonna need to wait for a sale or promo offer before getting it.

The other thing that makes me recommend code mystics games over hamster is that in the later, to press pause to config buttons you need to use the dualshock touchpad, so if you are playing with arcade sticks that don't come with said touchpad, it is incredible annoying to configurate the buttons.

The same happens with those ps2 to ps4 neo geo compilations

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017

LoL. Girl 14 might not exactly be who we would expect, eh? I, eh... hmm. I could think on what that means, but... And looks like Mui Mui is confirmed.

Definitely looks like a confirmed 14 base game characters, though. There's a lot of talk about custom characters too, though, which we can assume are just the normal characters + mods. Would be pretty nice if they let you build "original" characters in some weird way.

"Play! Scream! Have Fun!" is a fun Maiden Masher reference.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
After that appearance in KoF98UMOL, I suspect this is how Goeniko might make it into mainline KoK/SNK canon, the floodgates are open.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Has anybody in this thread built their own Neo Geo super gun? Neo Geo boards seem afordable in my country, but have no experience building anything.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Sorry, no experience building a Supergun here!

Back to Heroines, I guess we know why the "Fatal Cutie" hat exist now, eh?

With what seems to be the confirmed lack of new-from-14 characters beyond Shermie and... Alice...Kinda…(?), does this mean we can expect to see more new to modern 3D characters as suspected DLC, I wonder? Nadj was well handled as a fully new character to a series, even as DLC. SF's seasons, of course, have also added quite a few this way.

I still think we need some Metal Slug recognition (Still prefer Fio!), and I'd love to see characters from other series. Lets get some of the Shock Troopers on board! Kisara was great in NGBC. Charlotte and Cham Cham definitely could show up. I'm always willing to drop more 100 Demon Nights on people with Akari, too. And then we have the mysterious Miss X...And as you mentioned Loona Goeniko is definitely due an appearance. Give her Chris and Yashiro cosplay as her alts, and we could have the core Orochi Heavenly Knights all represented in some way.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Has anybody in this thread built their own Neo Geo super gun? Neo Geo boards seem afordable in my country, but have no experience building anything.
A NG specific Supergun no but Jamma or JVS(Jamma2) Supergun yes. I think the only complexity for NG is maybe I think some boards require the -5v where most arcade boards don't.

Other then that it's really dead simple and you can source much of the parts online.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Hmm, no one caught this hours ago here, eh?

I have no idea how she's going to fight in THAT.

Amedo310

Nov 15, 2017

I don't think build a super gun, but I did make a set-up that holds a NeoGeo MVS that takes in USB.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ia8x5pL227iBccblbMX5TM6IV-5ygtkO

It's housed in a bin container that I got from Wal-Mart.

Use the ProGamer Retroelectronik Arcade Supergun and Gonbes GBS-8220 (v3) CGA/EGA/YUV to VGA Arcade HD-Converter for outputs.

The supergun only takes db15 cables for controllers, but I ended up using undamned db15 usb decoders to allows xbox360/ps3 sticks connections.

The sticks can be plugged into the Neutrik ports, which are mounted on the container: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NzYo65ODveCWphz-ggw4iyabjKGK5cU_

I cut a hole for the PSU as well: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_LnbuLwYDWDezlgCbl8y2HuU2Vj1artf

There are a few more things for me to for the set-up like add db15 mounts and a power switch.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
oh boy I'm asking for trouble....

ICiRTDpGdIHp36rsHZ0rKnrUNOdKdyIkUddS9wWXgMqN6xPWtcgkIi8VcgNmMTJoMMlN3go1zb9SVm--DdV2lSEHm8JGo1P2ZWmiKhhEa2SwFCiwYVt-pDxhHRzqarJ6_lG_1SOJmQ=w2400

Now if only my games weren't stuck in customs for a week (just finally got out of customs yesterday so it will probably be another week before they get to me).

Anybody have any good tutorials on stick ball replacement for when it inevitably breaks?

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
I've had great fun with getting Money Puzzle Exchange on XB1. So glad to not have it locked to the forgotten wasteland of the PS3's PS1 version, ha. And the sounds seem to be a bit more bombastic from the arcade version.

SNK 40th is for PS4 and Switch only atm right? If anyone's going, could you ask if they plan to release it on more platforms in the coming months?

At the moment, it's for Switch only. Heroines is the Switch / PS4, and Digital only outside of the NISA store version in the US.

You'll just get a non-answer like "It's only on the Switch for now, and we have nothing more to announce at this time.", anyway. It's not like they'd keep it a secret, if they had plans. I find it funny that no one seems to consider the fact that having the NES versions of the games available is a likely reason as to why the 40th collection is Switch exclusive. If it was just the Arcade Roms, that'd be one thing. But at Best this seems to be at least a timed exclusive, or this particular collection will be locked to a single console, much like the previous PSP only collections, at worse.

Hamster already announced getting into the Pre-Neo games in their ACA collection, too. So it'll cost more, but at least a portion of the games will have an alternate way to obtain them.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Is there any noticable differences between the PSOne and Arcade ver. of Money Puzzle Exchanger?

Also you can back up PSOne games from PSN via PC, last I checked.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Is there any noticable differences between the PSOne and Arcade ver. of Money Puzzle Exchanger?

Also you can back up PSOne games from PSN via PC, last I checked.

Characters are all there and the same, from what I've seen. PS1 version just has loads and crappier sound quality from what I've noticed. Animations are as smooth or as rough in one version as the next. Hamster's port also has access to the EN and JP versions, whereas the PS1 version is only in Japanese. I feel that the US version's difficulty is a bit more insane than the JP one, but that might just be a placebo effect.

And it's not a backup I'm worried about; I just hate how, after the greatness that was PS3 / PSVita / Vita TV / PSP for getting the most play and bang out of my buck... the PS4 is just... personally lacking. I LOVE the fact I still have access to so many titles I purchased on XBLA and even original Xbox on XB1. The fact I have no access to any of that on PS4 is just such a downer. Everyone is freakin' out that they get to play things like "Shinin'!" again on Luminesce Remastered, and I've been playing it, and the gone-from-marketplace Genki Rocket skins + more DLC on Back Compat for months now. And even got into some online matches with friends! All from purchases from years ago.

The fact my Neo Geo collection on XB1 is possibly Forward-Compatible is a big help to deciding which system I get them on now. So, yeah, I'd love it if the SNK 40th was on XB1, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm glad SNK has been so good about letting their XBLA releases get to back compat. They might not be releasing much new stuff on the X1 yet, but being open to supporting the old still feels great.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
Apparently it's possible to get a physical version of SNK Heroines from Asia, since that's apparently also available in English, like recent Super Robot wars games.

Would be a nice way to get something without the fluff merch the special editions, the only physical ones in Europe and America - the problem is if the game ends up having DLC and you don't want to get an Asia account it that comes up...

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what this is about:

In a post he mentions that it's from SNK's facebook but I didn't see anything of the sort there.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Well all my AES games showed up this . Damn these things are expensive to ship from japan. =/
ppf6NwVu_9C0ss3lWR8fScWPaaIaQSY6qDp9VYLBqBZYMCtmg21QfVSxivsv5vxyQ9mhc8cIhcDRFChxD_lItKGizYknDTVXXgy8dE-w09GYxCQhJKc6-XRbdNzRaP6Psu-NByOtng=w2400
wnWa3zQZoUMS5pN5lorMioI3hYfYQtnTQrIgPwuuLFYdg-fdQYx9gMhJZ1WzXBWvwaa-LE9lDQ7T78X-FhdPwitFXxN_0VJMDny6NNUa_ky3U6OymggHZxu25CdIttjAs0dlIhhjuw=w2400

They're all cheap gets at around 2,000Y - 3,500Y with the most expensive being Fighters History at 5,000Y (pre shipping). I probably won't get too many more, mostly will target other cheap gets and a few in the 5,000Y - 10,000Y range. Even with now having an AES finally I'm still more then happy playing on my Neo CD. =)

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure what this is about:

In a post he mentions that it's from SNK's facebook but I didn't see anything of the sort there.

I found what he was referring to. It's actually on the Neo Geo Mini's dedicated Facebook page. I can't really link it, but if you scroll down you'll find the video. It shows the Neo Geo Mini as it is, the "Plus" version, and the "Extra Mini" version (lmao). I'm 100% sure it's a joke, but I would have been so down with a bigger version.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
^Maybe someone sniped it form E3?

I got this Samurai Shodown 2 Gamest Mook and made some scans with this phone app if you wanna see.

New_Doc_2018-05-31.jpg

New_Doc_2018-05-31_1.jpg

New_Doc_2018-05-31_2.jpg

New_Doc_2018-05-31_3.jpg

The book is huge, so you can let me know if you want to see something from you favorite characters or something. There's movesets and frame data pages. But most of that data is already available online already anyway.

Not sure how I missed this, that's so awesome! SamSho art has always been amazing, so much variation in style and detail. I especially love the ones that are done just with brush and ink.

If you could post some works from the book that you don't see online often that would be great.

Well all my AES games showed up this . Damn these things are expensive to ship from japan. =/
ppf6NwVu_9C0ss3lWR8fScWPaaIaQSY6qDp9VYLBqBZYMCtmg21QfVSxivsv5vxyQ9mhc8cIhcDRFChxD_lItKGizYknDTVXXgy8dE-w09GYxCQhJKc6-XRbdNzRaP6Psu-NByOtng=w2400
wnWa3zQZoUMS5pN5lorMioI3hYfYQtnTQrIgPwuuLFYdg-fdQYx9gMhJZ1WzXBWvwaa-LE9lDQ7T78X-FhdPwitFXxN_0VJMDny6NNUa_ky3U6OymggHZxu25CdIttjAs0dlIhhjuw=w2400

They're all cheap gets at around 2,000Y - 3,500Y with the most expensive being Fighters History at 5,000Y (pre shipping). I probably won't get too many more, mostly will target other cheap gets and a few in the 5,000Y - 10,000Y range. Even with now having an AES finally I'm still more then happy playing on my Neo CD. =)

Congrats man.

Them covers. SNK and Capcom's art now pales in comparison to the old days :/

(SNK should steal Shinkiro from whatever basement Capcom is hiding him in)

I found what he was referring to. It's actually on the Neo Geo Mini's dedicated Facebook page. I can't really link it, but if you scroll down you'll find the video. It shows the Neo Geo Mini as it is, the "Plus" version, and the "Extra Mini" version (lmao). I'm 100% sure it's a joke, but I would have been so down with a bigger version.

Thanks for the find ^_^

And yeah, it definitely looks like a joke vid. There are quite a few of them on that page. Wonder why Gunsmith decided to take that seriously (or at least seemed to be doing so).

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
(Haven't watched yet myself): Here's 52 Minutes of a Panel from Anime Expo where Ogura talks about the redesigns for SNK Heroines: