• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Shock troopers 1 is a great game imo
One thing is like to see done for it is include a twin stick-like control scheme
ST2 wasnt that bad from what i played but 1 is the better game

Nam 1975 needs more love

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The series is right up there with Metal Slug as some of the best arcade shooters ever imo. Top notch gameplay, music and visuals. The branching paths are a nice touch.

A lot of people seem to prefer the first to the second but personally I love them both.

Shock troopers 1 is a great game imo
One thing is like to see done for it is include a twin stick-like control scheme
ST2 wasnt that bad from what i played but 1 is the better game

Nam 1975 needs more love
thanks, i'm going to try and grab an MVS shocktroopers soon.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
God, the ps4 ports of ps2 ports of neo geo games are terrible, almost all of them has lag, and kof 2000 has some ugly sprites.

Anyone knows how to unlock the old stages in kof 2000? i remember seeing some metal slug and aof 3 stages here that makes this game the oficial mugen of snk

Shinriji

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone knows how to unlock the old stages in kof 2000? i remember seeing some metal slug and aof 3 stages here that makes this game the oficial mugen of snk

Only the DC version had those stages (and the exclusive strikers). The PS2 version only had the hidden arcade strikers and Kula unlocked from the start.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks to a Gatoray tweet we know SNK is apprently trying to get itself listed on the Korean stock market:
http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=101&oid=015&aid=0003843964

According to the article, that's unprecedented for a Japanese company, and I'm not even sure how that work considering that a major part of SNK is owned by a company which I thin is based on Hong Kong, which AFAIK has its own stock market... interesting times...

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Eolith was Korean company no?

BTW about the Neo Geo Pocket Color-
I want to get one but I am concerned about how I could charge it. The electricity in my country is
Single Phase Voltage: 240, G Socket

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to a Gatoray tweet we know SNK is apprently trying to get itself listed on the Korean stock market:
http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=101&oid=015&aid=0003843964

According to the article, that's unprecedented for a Japanese company, and I'm not even sure how that work considering that a major part of SNK is owned by a company which I thin is based on Hong Kong, which AFAIK has its own stock market... interesting times...

Huh, that came out of nowhere.

Wonder if it was SNK or their owner's idea.

Iirc KOF is pretty popular in Korea so maybe this is part of there cross media initiative?

That one time Optimus Prime Power Geyser-ed Megatron's face to smoldering bits

Pretty cool, even the start up animation feels similar.

Yeah and it was partially funded by the founder of SNK iirc (who also formed Playmore).

colinp

Oct 27, 2017

BTW about the Neo Geo Pocket Color-
I want to get one but I am concerned about how I could charge it. The electricity in my country is
Single Phase Voltage: 240, G Socket

Actually the NGPC uses two double A batteries and they last FOREVER. Seriously, it is something like 40 hours. I know they sell a wall socket charger but it really isn't necessary. I have never had or wanted one.

It also uses one of those flat watch batteries but I forgot the exact type.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Will be cool to see one day how was the 2000-2002 era of neo geo, from a Company point of view.

In that era, you had Noise Factory developing 2 games for the system, with one of them being co-developed with a mexican Company (Evoga)
Also I always wanted to know what's Eolith deal in all of this, what happened to them after releasing that obscure fighting game which it's name escapes from my mind right now, also Mega, or Brezzasoft (which was founded by Kawasaki if I'm not wrong)

I'm always fascinated by this era, the fact that so many companies wanted to develop games for a dying market in a 10 years old board speak volumes of how attractive was this market in japan or third world countries who still bought this games

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Lol oh yeah it was from the era of battery powered hndhelds xd
Gonna order me one by next month i think
Will grab sonic pocket and a few other ngpc games sonce i found some for cheap
Yes, because is a better game. More balanced, better music, better backgrounds, etc.
Didnt speed mode lead to infinites for the entire cast?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yes, and LB2 got even more UNGA BUNGA with EX mode for some characters.
I dont recall ex characters being overused in the matches ive seen
Speed in lb2 gives u expanded combos yhanks to links iirc
Heck infinites are generally banned in lb2 tournies
Much of he jp lb2 matches i e seen has majoroty of players use speed

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if Last Blade 1 is more balanced than 2, I feel that nobody really played the game that much to unleash the full potential of all characters, specially considering that last blade 2 was released shortly after, and has been constantly played on all those SNK tournaments, even to this day. We know how broken some characters are in LB2 because have been playing this game constantly for nearly 2 decades. Also I like more the music on LB2, and the extra characters make this game more interesting than Last Blade. The backgrounds were better on the first game though

I dont recall ex characters being overused in the matches ive seen
Speed in lb2 gives u expanded combos yhanks to links iirc
Heck infinites are generally banned in lb2 tournies
Much of he jp lb2 matches i e seen has majoroty of players use speed

If I'm not wrong, ex characters had this problem when even though you had access to the best of both speed and power modes, your HP was lower, and this compensation was big enough to not make it viable for competitive play, or ban worthy.

In the end most top characters are just fine with only one of the modes, no need to risk your HP

Last edited:

Deleted member 13550

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently catching up on KOF Destiny, completely flew under the radar for me. Visually kinda eh, but it's been a fun watch so far. Kinda makes me want to learn how to play Daimon and it makes me want a South Town Fatal Fury game in the style of Yakuza even more.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Destiny doesn't have stellar animation, and the slapstick humor can feel to lame/tropey to say they least, but there good the team really nailed how to make the fights feel very brutal. I only have watched the first 2 episodes, and for me the fight between Jeff and Geese is canon on how it unfolded. Also, I never fought the fighting style of Billy using the stick being too exciting in the games, but here it looked like one of the coolest styles ever

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I'm not sure if Last Blade 1 is more balanced than 2, I feel that nobody really played the game that much to unleash the full potential of all characters, specially considering that last blade 2 was released shortly after, and has been constantly played on all those SNK tournaments, even to this day. We know how broken some characters are in LB2 because have been playing this game constantly for nearly 2 decades. Also I like more the music on LB2, and the extra characters make this game more interesting than Last Blade. The backgrounds were better on the first game though
Pretty much this.
If there are any high level LB1 matches that we can use as reference, one can discern LB1's quality a lot more.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
lastblade2-large-fire-at-wadamoya-stage.gif

lastblade-amano-stage-animate.gif

The Backgrounds in Last Blade was SNK at there best

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made a separate thread for KOF Destiny when ERA first went up since two eps were released that day, not sure if you guys want to discuss the show here or in the dedicated thread.

Episode 14 released today, really enjoyed it. Loved the fight choreography, they are making legit good fights while directly referencing the games. Like most of the kicks and punches that Terry and the others do are their normals from the various games. The classic KOF side-step also sees some action. They even framed the iconic Fatal Fury poster, with Terry standing up in the background, in one of the shots. I've said it before and say it again, this thing is definitely being made by huge KOF fans.

I'm currently catching up on KOF Destiny, completely flew under the radar for me. Visually kinda eh, but it's been a fun watch so far. Kinda makes me want to learn how to play Daimon and it makes me want a South Town Fatal Fury game in the style of Yakuza even more.

The show is way, way better than I expected it to be. Lots of great interactions and the fights are fantastic.

Gn9QSXV.gif

Don't know if it's the rules they have in place but most of the Japanese tournaments I've seen, especially the last big one, had the game look great and not broken. There was plenty of character variety and both Power and Speed modes were used extensively.

The Backgrounds in Last Blade was SNK at there best

They are gorgeous and just on another level in general when it comes to 2D art in games.

The music compliments them perfectly as well, makes them feel like they are full of story.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017

Destiny has problems, but the previous piece of KoF fiction was the live action movie, so things are improving.

And a South Town version of Yakuza would be great - play up the multicultural martial arts mecca factor, and use either a new character that can learn from multiple established characters, or someone green like Alice, or let players shift between established characters to experienced all sort of stories.

It's terribly easy to imagine quests where you go look for Ryuhyaku Todoh for Kasumi, or assist Yuri in setting up a date between Ryo and King.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I cant see SNK developing a game with the scope of Yakuza, this will be way too far of what they normally have produced, and Im talking about the entire history of the company, I will wait some years until they have nailed a nearly flawless fighting game with 3d graphics before going the open world route

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The other thing is that the Yakuza games are really only popular in Japan and even then it seems that each new entry in the series is selling less and less there.

I'd rather SNK make something more focused, like a straight up character action game led by Neo_G or a classic beat em up with Ryo and Robert out to save Yuri. Projects like that would be a lot cheaper to make and also have a higher chance at success.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Japanese lower sales are compensated by the sucess that the ps4 games have found here.

But yeah, the reason why Yakuza works is because is a representation of the Japanese Lifestyle spawning from the 80's to this day. An game based on the Usa will not have the same pull in japan were the core sales are coming from

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Southtown has a distinct character not really seen in fictionalized western locations. It's very japanese with the landmarks populated through the city. I think it could work.

But I don't think SNK is capable of making that kind of game.

Beckx

Oct 26, 2017
yeah if SNK went in the direction kinda like Lab Zero is going (making a side scroller), they could make something special.

The other thing is that the Yakuza games are really only popular in Japan and even then it seems that each new entry in the series is selling less and less there.

I'd rather SNK make something more focused, like a straight up character action game led by Neo_G or a classic beat em up with Ryo and Robert out to save Yuri. Projects like that would be a lot cheaper to make and also have a higher chance at success.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, it's not something expected for anything resembling a near future , but I guess I like entertaining the thought of it as a reusable canvas for several sorts of (mini)games and stories that could get updated with DLC, like adding more controllable characters over time, and maybe its areas deriving from or being bases for stages used in the actual 1-on-1 fighting games..
Haven't the Yakuza games reused a lot of major asset between entries, Zero being the most different on account of taking place in a completely different decade?

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's not something expected for anything resembling a near future , but I guess I like entertaining the thought of it as a reusable canvas for several sorts of (mini)games and stories that could get updated with DLC, like adding more controllable characters over time, and maybe its areas deriving from or being bases for stages used in the actual 1-on-1 fighting games..
Haven't the Yakuza games reused a lot of major asset between entries, Zero being the most different on account of taking place in a completely different decade?
Yes

And Zero still reuses a lots of assets

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Remind me how and why Eolith created another Zero for? Is it cuz 2000 Zero looks like Han from Hokuto no Ken? But 2001 gave us Kaneda @_@

Isnt there a fanmade Fatal Fury Beat 'em Up?

Pretty sure the night variant is Duck Kings, with people in the background
I know, I was joking ;P
So here's a little fun tidbit for you: Choi cameos in Real Bout 2, can you guess which stage? ;3

Uncle Death

Oct 28, 2017
http://DEEP-HELL.COM
Welcome to the club!

You must be fighting off the ladies with your Ash look :p

The old SNK artists really played with masculine and feminine looks in a way that not a lot of game companies ever have before or since. Some Street Fighter characters are similar aesthetically to SNK (KOF primarily) ones.

Terry's OG but also more importantly his Garou design is very reflective of this philosophy. If it were a western designer doing a similar character, Terry would have much darker hair to match his jacket an probably be a lot dirtier with facial hair - he also wouldn't be wearing bell bottoms.

When you look at the old art for King of Fighters though there's a lot of very pretty but still masculine/bodied men. there are also some women with masculine faces but immaculately proportioned feminine bodies. Usually it comes through a lot in costume design too.

I guess similarly some of Kazuma Kaneko's art plays with masculine/feminine in the same way. It doesn't come close to being as playful as SNK has been though and Kaneko's early stuff edges pretty close to resembling western comic art.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The old SNK artists really played with masculine and feminine looks in a way that not a lot of game companies ever have before or since. Some Street Fighter characters are similar aesthetically to SNK (KOF primarily) ones.

Terry's OG but also more importantly his Garou design is very reflective of this philosophy. If it were a western designer doing a similar character, Terry would have much darker hair to match his jacket an probably be a lot dirtier with facial hair - he also wouldn't be wearing bell bottoms.

When you look at the old art for King of Fighters though there's a lot of very pretty but still masculine/bodied men. there are also some women with masculine faces but immaculately proportioned feminine bodies. Usually it comes through a lot in costume design too.

I guess similarly some of Kazuma Kaneko's art plays with masculine/feminine in the same way. It doesn't come close to being as playful as SNK has been though and Kaneko's early stuff edges pretty close to resembling western comic art.

Well said, and that's probably why SNK's characters appeal heavily to both male and female fans as well.

Their characters are fashionable and modern and often the clothes actually feel like something someone could where out in the open with slight adjustments. And there is also a lot of variety not in just the old SNK but with what came after as well, like you have a character like Ash being introduced but at the same time you have characters like Shen and Oswald being created as well.

Speaking of Ash, I know people like to hate on him but imo he is one of the best examples of character creation where everything from the design and mannerisms to the personality and especially the gameplay style all work in perfect harmony towards one goal (to create a troll).

ash-12s.gif

ash-12-blow.gif

Even his crouching animation has a ton of personality, the same goes for his normals.