• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

this is a KoF XIII FT10 between a few players in our circle, just wanted to share. It was streamed on Twitch. We're trying to do this much more often.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

some XIII combos for fun. The first one for Andy I believe is optimal full screen. The Kyo and Robert combos are swag only.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

my friend uploaded a FT5 between me (P1) and my boy Pierre from the same session. I was trying out Shen in "real matches" for the first time. More XIII is always good. Sorry about the audio pops, one of the mic cables was messing up big time. But speaking of XIII, it's going to be featured in the next NGWT with 02UM, which is pretty huge.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Well, THIS isn't the costume DLC I'd expect for Samurai Shodown, lol. Puzzle & DRAGONS? The unexpected is pretty cool. PD gets characters in their game, SamSho gets 300 yen costumes for Shiki and Haoumaru.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

OG 02 streaming on Art's channel (previous post). This is a tourney I've never heard of, currently doing XIII. Seems like a nice event. Check it out!

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
picked up a Neo Geo Mini (US version, looks like the Japanese version but has different games). Paid about 100 on Amazon for a bundle with two controllers. Playing on the unit itself is honestly way more fun than I thought it would be. There are adjustments you need to make obviously but after a few matches I could do most standard combos with little trouble. The screen looks fantastic. I'm already looking into doing the battery mod so I can take this to work and out with friends lol.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
^Congrats!

Impressions/reviews have started popping up for the NeoGeo Arcade Stick Pro.

What's interesting is that SNK sent this guy a unit to review even though he gave the mini a negative review. He mentions that they took a lot of the feedback from the mini and applied it to the development of this unit.

Also, it looks like you will be able to add more games to the unit in the future. There are options in the menu like "unlock" and "upgrade". SNK might be selling USBs with additional games that you can add.

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
^Congrats!

What's interesting is that SNK sent this guy a unit to review even though he gave the mini a negative review. He mentions that they took a lot of the feedback from the mini and applied it to the development of this unit.

Also, it looks like you will be able to add more games to the unit in the future. There are options in the menu like "unlock" and "upgrade". SNK might be selling USBs with additional games that you can add.

That is exciting to think about. A way to support SNK and add more games to the stick would be great. Still shocked none of these plug and play devices have had such a feature yet.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
^Congrats!

very, very interested in this. It's just mind boggling to think about a new SNK designed stick. Hope the buttons aren't mushy like old stock Horis.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

had no idea about this event occurring in Japan, but it looks like it was a pretty huge deal. Total KoF marathon!

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, could anyone give me a summary of all the drama regarding SNK WCS that's happening right now?

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

I can't really explain it succinctly myself, but this should be as good a video as any regarding the situation.

by the way, KOFes Day 2 is currently going down!

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

just learned that in 02UM, when you're in BC mode and you cancel into a command normal it bypasses the need to charge. Made a little Takuma vid to show that it works.

also made this Kyo combo up, fantastic damage. I'm pretty sure one of those insane Taiwanese players have already thought of this years ago, but it was cool to discover it just while messing around.

just gonna throw this last one in this post. Some Mary combos. The first combo involves buffering a reverse Raging Demon kinda input within BC, kinda tricky.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SNK's community manager has been doing streams with SNK staff:

SNK Sound Team stream
Falcoon and Kei Yamamoto (director of KOFXIII) stream

More at the twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/kaiserwave/videos

The next one will be with Kuroki and Ogura.

just learned that in 02UM, when you're in BC mode and you cancel into a command normal it bypasses the need to charge. Made a little Takuma vid to show that it works.

also made this Kyo combo up, fantastic damage. I'm pretty sure one of those insane Taiwanese players have already thought of this years ago, but it was cool to discover it just while messing around.

That's a super cool find, great work!

Would have been great to have in XIII.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kei Yamamoto is back at SNK? Wow, can't believe that they hired back the producer of SNK most succesfull game from the previous decade

a629fe0afbb9c433966d7079103a5285.image.500x449.jpg

Krispy

SNK Community Manager
Verified
Jun 2, 2019
Hey guys! Hope you're all doing well! Just want to let you know we have a special introduction stream prepared for Wan-Fu, our newest DLC character for Samurai Shodown! I'll be joined by SamSho directors Kuroki-san and Soranaka-san as they go over the character. We'll also be taking questions live on stream so I think it's a great way for the community to interact with the devs!
Stream starts at 10PM EST on Dec 17th
Follow for notifications!

Thanks again!
ELkYpp1UYAEi5V1
ELkYpp2UUAEbbhV

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys! Hope you're all doing well! Just want to let you know we have a special introduction stream prepared for Wan-Fu, our newest DLC character for Samurai Shodown! I'll be joined by SamSho directors Kuroki-san and Soranaka-san as they go over the character. We'll also be taking questions live on stream so I think it's a great way for the community to interact with the devs!

Thanks again!
ELkYpp1UYAEi5V1
ELkYpp2UUAEbbhV
awesome!

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks again!
ELkYpp1UYAEi5V1
ELkYpp2UUAEbbhV

Thanks for doing these streams! Been wanting to hear from SNK staff like this since forever.

So awesome to get a breakdown of Wan-Fu from the directors.

Last edited:

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

my friend showed me this the other day and this is my attempt. Pretty difficult but this is insane damage for 2 stocks.

also SNK please give us XIII UM.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
That already happened, its called XIII Climax / Steam Edition / Galaxy Edition
I know there are considerable differences between arcade and Climax, but my crew and I are still clamoring for a legit UM. 98 and 02 to their respective UM's are way more of an overhaul. I think there are still changes that can make XIII a better game, and the thought of another set of characters, even just EX characters is pretty exciting. To leave XIII where it is never to be touched again would be a total waste IMO. People love XIII.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
I know there are considerable differences between arcade and Climax, but my crew and I are still clamoring for a legit UM. 98 and 02 to their respective UM's are way more of an overhaul. I think there are still changes that can make XIII a better game, and the thought of another set of characters, even just EX characters is pretty exciting. To leave XIII where it is never to be touched again would be a total waste IMO. People love XIII.
Nah, leave it as it is.

I much prefer SNK to focus completely on future entries, and maybe even some non-fighting game stuff.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Which is a problem for the current SNK. They are done with 2D.

Nah, leave it as it is.

I much prefer SNK to focus completely on future entries, and maybe even some non-fighting game stuff.

Have been waiting for this for the longest time.

Imagine where Capcom would be right now if they never moved on to making single player adventure, action, horror etc. games.

SNK needs to spread their wings outside of just arcade games for their core projects.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
Which is a problem for the current SNK. They are done with 2D.

Have been waiting for this for the longest time.

Imagine where Capcom would be right now if they never moved on to making single player adventure, action, horror etc. games.

SNK needs to spread their wings outside of just arcade games for their core projects.
They confirmed a Metal Slug game for the next fiscal year right?

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
Yeah but that's still an arcade style shooter, nothing out of their comfort zone.
Still, it's a step up from just more fighting games.

I'm of the opinion that they should have moved to 3d after Kof XI. The bankruptcy from XIII set them back so much, and it's mostly just used by the "hardcore" fans as a point of comparison to shit on their recent 3d games.

But after XIV basically led them to their biggest fiscal year, I have high hopes for SNK, it's kind of crazy that we end up getting a freaking new Samsho before a new Darkstalkers.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still, it's a step up from just more fighting games.

I'm of the opinion that they should have moved to 3d after Kof XI. The bankruptcy from XIII set them back so much, and it's mostly just used by the "hardcore" fans as a point of comparison to shit on their recent 3d games.

But after XIV basically led them to their biggest fiscal year, I have high hopes for SNK, it's kind of crazy that we end up getting a freaking new Samsho before a new Darkstalkers.

Their current situation is a step up for sure, so is the fact that they are aiming for 2 games a year moving forward. This would have been crazy talk a few years ago.

That being said, to reach new heights and new/bigger audiences they will need to expand outside of just arcade style games.

A hard disagree on XIII, it's amazing it exists. It's like the last hurrah from 2D SNK and one hell of a note to end that on. The game will be 10 years old next year, it still gets mentioned a lot for good reason.

Also, XIII and its sales (especially after the Steam release) were the reason why SNK's boss got in touch with Oda to revive their core gaming division so yeah.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
Their current situation is a step up for sure, so is the fact that they are aiming for 2 games a year moving forward. This would have been crazy talk a few years ago.

That being said, to reach new heights and new/bigger audiences they will need to expand outside of just arcade style games.

A hard disagree on XIII, it's amazing it exists. It's like the last hurrah from 2D SNK and one hell of a note to end that on. The game will be 10 years old next year, it still gets mentioned a lot for good reason.

Also, XIII and its sales (especially after the Steam release) were the reason why SNK's boss got in touch with Oda to revive their core gaming division so yeah.
I know that XIII steam sales are the reason that SNK decided to get into console games again.

It's just that when XIV came out it got shat on so much by both casuals and hardcore SNK fans (mostly cuz of the visuals obviously), that I feel most people just don't grasp how much of a miracle is the fact that we're even getting new mainline entries of SNK franchises again nowadays, they basically pulled a reverse Konami.

I personally really dislike even the suggestion of them going back to pixel-art or even 2d, but I bet most of those "purist" are about to get a heart attack when SNK reveals their upcoming new Metal Slug game, so I'm really looking forward to it :P

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
I am on board with whatever SNK does and going 3D was the right thing to do. They have shown steady improvement already. All I'm saying is, don't forget how much people love XIII lol. It doesn't have to come soon, but people will buy that game again FOR SURE. At least bring it to the current generation of consoles.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
I am on board with whatever SNK does and going 3D was the right thing to do. They have shown steady improvement already. All I'm saying is, don't forget how much people love XIII lol. It doesn't have to come soon, but people will buy that game again FOR SURE. At least bring it to the current generation of consoles.
The only way I can think of is some sort of physical release that includes every Kof.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know that XIII steam sales are the reason that SNK decided to get into console games again.

It's just that when XIV came out it got shat on so much by both casuals and hardcore SNK fans (mostly cuz of the visuals obviously), that I feel most people just don't grasp how much of a miracle is the fact that we're even getting new mainline entries of SNK franchises again nowadays, they basically pulled a reverse Konami.

I personally really dislike even the suggestion of them going back to pixel-art or even 2d, but I bet most of those "purist" are about to get a heart attack when SNK reveals their upcoming new Metal Slug game, so I'm really looking forward to it :P

If we are being honest then XIV wasn't exactly a looker, especially at launch. For me the gameplay and the amazing roster made it easy to look past that but for many it wasn't. Visuals are important any way you spin it.

SNK got criticized for XIV and we got a huge jump in quality with SamSho. There is very little negativity surrounding it compared to XIV.

Even the chairman of SNK sort of threw XIV under the bus and said that XV will look much better. Apparently it has a much higher budget and they have been poaching good talent for it.

So we have a situation where there are dedicated fans voicing their concerns and a company that is listening and doing their best to improve. It's all good.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
If we are being honest then XIV wasn't exactly a looker, especially at launch. For me the gameplay and the amazing roster made it easy to look past that but for many it wasn't. Visuals are important any way you spin it.

SNK got criticized for XIV and we got a huge jump in quality with SamSho. There is very little negativity surrounding it compared to XIV.

Even the chairman of SNK sort of threw XIV under the bus and said that XV will look much better. Apparently it has a much higher budget and they have been poaching good talent for it.

So we have a situation where there are dedicated fans voicing their concerns and a company that is listening and doing their best to improve. It's all good.
I understand what you're saying, it's just that really irks me nowadays when I hear people saying stuff like "man modern SNK games looks so bad, why can't they just look like that other game?, you know, the one that bankrupt them and basically forced them to make only mobile stuff for several years?, yeah that one".

Also, the visuals of Kof XIV were rough but they would've definetly improved in future entries, even without the "feedback". Remember that they didn't even had plans for DLC because they used literally their entire budget on the game itself, which launched with 50 freaking characters, but people barely gave a shit about that.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I remember KOF XIII reviews and mainstream saying that it looked too pixelated and that ugly games like SF4 had better graphics.

People voted with their wallet and that was the end for AAA pixel art games. At least they went out with a bang, the pinnacle of pixel art and animation that will never be surpassed.

We had the chance to support high quality 2D games and we blew it. It's over. It's not going to happen again.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember KOF XIII reviews and mainstream saying that it looked too pixelated and that ugly games like SF4 had better graphics.

People voted with their wallet and that was the end for AAA pixel art games. At least they went out with a bang, the pinnacle of pixel art and animation that will never be surpassed.

We had the chance to support high quality 2D games and we blew it. It's over. It's not going to happen again.

I certainly don't remember anyone saying KOF XIII looked bad—quote to the contrary. And Street Fighter IV has always seemed to be appreciated despite its graphics.

I do wish that SNK had used the sprites from XIII as the basis of several more entries, but at least we'll always have XIII itself. Samurai Showdown seems to be a fairly decent compromise, as I think it looks great and stylish, yet it doesn't seem to have broken the bank for SNK. It will be interesting to see how they choose to move forward considering the differences in style between KOFXIV and Sam Sho.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand what you're saying, it's just that really irks me nowadays when I hear people saying stuff like "man modern SNK games looks so bad, why can't they just look like that other game?, you know, the one that bankrupt them and basically forced them to make only mobile stuff for several years?, yeah that one".

Also, the visuals of Kof XIV were rough but they would've definetly improved in future entries, even without the "feedback". Remember that they didn't even had plans for DLC because they used literally their entire budget on the game itself, which launched with 50 freaking characters, but people barely gave a shit about that.

It's not just XIII though, there's Fatal Fury/MOTW, Last Blade, Metal Slug, SamSho etc. that are some of the best looking 2D games. And more importantly, with very distinct and appealing in-game art styles (which XIV lacks).

People want them to operate on that level but at the same time they don't remember how long it took SNK to get to making 2D that looked that good. The same will happen with 3D, they just need time.

They also tend to bring up other current fighters but then don't take into account the roster size, like you mentioned. Imagine what SFV or GG Xrd would look like if they aimed to have 50 characters (created from scratch in 2 years) at launch.

People just didn't appreciate that giant launch roster. Apparently releasing 16 or less characters at launch and then milking the rest via DLC is better support than releasing 50 characters day one.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I certainly don't remember anyone saying KOF XIII looked bad—quote to the contrary. And Street Fighter IV has always seemed to be appreciated despite its graphics.

I do wish that SNK had used the sprites from XIII as the basis of several more entries, but at least we'll always have XIII itself. Samurai Showdown seems to be a fairly decent compromise, as I think it looks great and stylish, yet it doesn't seem to have broken the bank for SNK. It will be interesting to see how they choose to move forward considering the differences in style between KOFXIV and Sam Sho.

I remember some people saying that KOF 13 looked like an snes game. Seriously, hardcore forums like Resetera sometimes understimate how the general public look 2d games, hell, for some people even games like Third Strike looked terrible compared to whatever 3d fighter was at the time.

Also, I don't want to imagine how expensive would be to create KOF 13 like sprites with modern resolutions, even 12-13 were sprites drawn at 480p and upscaled to 720p, imagine drawing them at 4K

Last edited:
OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really fun stream with SNK's artists Eisuke Ogura and Yumi Saji.

Yumi Saji is the character designer and illustrator for the new SamSho. Apparently she is also that young artist who was mentioned as having designed Shun'ei, Sylvie and Athena for KOFXIV.

Ogura is of course one of SNK's veteran artists.

They also show some previously unseen production art for the new SamSho.

Last edited:

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
I remember some people saying that KOF 13 looked like an snes game. Seriously, hardcore forums like Resetera sometimes understimate how the general public look 2d games, hell, for some people even games like Third Strike looked terrible compared to whatever 3d fighter was at the time.

Also, I don't want to imagine how expensive would be to create KOF 13 like sprites with modern resolutions, even 12-13 were sprites drawn at 480p and upscaled to 720p, imagine drawing them at 4K

There was a time where a game simply being 2D automatically made it seem dated to people. I think the advent of 3d games and especially fighters was seen as the next step and phasing out 2D completely. Thankfully that didn't happen.