• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
BadWolf said:
Their characters are fashionable and modern and often the clothes actually feel like something someone could where out in the open with slight adjustments.
sylvie-kof14-portrait.png

Then again
kinglion-sav2.jpg

...Well I ain't gonna argue with the king and his fashion statement.

Uncle Death

Oct 28, 2017
http://DEEP-HELL.COM
Well said, and that's probably why SNK's characters appeal heavily to both male and female fans as well.

Their characters are fashionable and modern and often the clothes actually feel like something someone could where out in the open with slight adjustments. And there is also a lot of variety not in just the old SNK but with what came after as well, like you have a character like Ash being introduced but at the same time you have characters like Shen and Oswald being created as well.

Speaking of Ash, I know people like to hate on him but imo he is one of the best examples of character creation where everything from the design and mannerisms to the personality and especially the gameplay style all work in perfect harmony towards one goal (to create a troll).

ash-12s.gif

ash-12-blow.gif

Even his crouching animation has a ton of personality, the same goes for his normals.
In the SNK days of memories Girls Side Ash Crimson has an ending where he's the gay best friend to the main character and he's my favorite forever now

AshEnding.png

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Days of memories needs a rerelease. Dating KoF husbandos is so doki doki X3

The Korea stage would probably make the most sense but i wouldn't be surprised if he's in the Thailand one, that stage seems made for cameos.

I really dont like Choi by the way :s
Yup, but keep in mind that Kim Kap Hwan and Tung share the same stage.

Often =/= always

And Sylvie is based on a specific Japanese pop star :p
i know
and she should still be burned with fire.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the SNK days of memories Girls Side Ash Crimson has an ending where he's the gay best friend to the main character and he's my favorite forever now

lol that's pretty cool.

Story wise, Ash's ending in KOFXIII is what really stuck with me. That sequence with him
slowly disappearing from history and Elizabeth holding his hair band
was really well done.

i know
and she should still be burned with fire.

Nah, I like her.

Had no idea who the pop star was prior to Sylvie's reveal but Sylvie herself is full of personality both in character and her animations, her gameplay is really fun and distinct too. I really like her entire team, Mian and Kukri are fantastic new characters (and their theme music is epic).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I do like Sylvie's animations, her walking back animation is aces, as well as her jump back animation which makes it looks like she is rolling.
But her default design still should be burned with fire :V

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm sure it weirds out a lot of people but it is what it is at this point.

I'm just glad that the character overall turned out good.

Deleted member 13550

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the positives of 3D models is that they can have alt. costumes. Just do costumes based on covers, KOF 98UM ones would be neat, designs from endings and loading screens and whatever. Mai has some awesome ones like from the KOF13 opening if im not mistaken.

Also if Miss X isnt a costume in the next Battle Coliseum i'll be really mad, throw everything in there and make it a huge celebration of everything SNK.

Beckx

Oct 26, 2017
Shun'ei and Meitenkun are the best new characters though. And the art Oda did with their new best friend Rock is hilarious.

So yeah give me a side scrolling action adventure metroidvania thing with Shun'ei and Meitenkun.

Modal Soul

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I found this OT. Really love KOF's design and music. I also love my generic karate man Ryo Sakazaki.

ryo-mc-aof1.gif

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the best gems from the show:

xpLzMuy.gif

Glad I found this OT. Really love KOF's design and music. I also love my generic karate man Ryo Sakazaki.

He's one of my faves as well, I just really, really hope they ditch his original look in favor of his Wild Ambition or Mr. Karate looks. That concept art for him that combined both those looks in KOFXIV's artbook looks so damn good.

Modal Soul

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best gems from the show:

xpLzMuy.gif

He's one of my faves as well, I just really, really hope they ditch his original look in favor of his Wild Ambition or Mr. Karate looks. That concept art for him that combined both those looks in KOFXIV's artbook looks so damn good.

Ryo with a stubble looks super awesome. I'm more of a fan of his Buriki One look with the goatee tho.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wait there is a KOFXIV artbook

badwolf pls

It's the artbook that came with with the special edition of the game (and also the deluxe steam version iirc), I'm sure you'll find a bunch of shots from it via google image search if you want to have a peek.

This is the image I was referring to by the way:

Also, dat King in a dress.

Ryo with a stubble looks super awesome. I'm more of a fan of his Buriki One look with the goatee tho.

Yeah that look is good too, always loved this art with it and wanted it as a poster:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How good is the physical edition of the LE of KOF XIV?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Please excuse my weak ass memory but were snk to not have made the neo geo cd nor the hyper ng 64
Do u think they couldve lasted longer and disnt go bankrupt in 2000?

For that matter, why hadnt snk attempted to get into the console market during the late 90s?

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shun'ei and Meitenkun are the best new characters though. And the art Oda did with their new best friend Rock is hilarious.

So yeah give me a side scrolling action adventure metroidvania thing with Shun'ei and Meitenkun.

Leave it to SNK to create a Sleep-Fu character. Meiten is really well done and seems to be liked quite a bit in general.

Shun is cool too and has a really slick DMC inspired fighting style. As far as being the next protagonist though I dunno, it doesn't feel like he has been given an all in focus like K' and Ash received when they were introduced, so he just feels like he's kinda there and that's it.

Please excuse my weak ass memory but were snk to not have made the neo geo cd nor the hyper ng 64
Do u think they couldve lasted longer and disnt go bankrupt in 2000?

For that matter, why hadnt snk attempted to get into the console market during the late 90s?

Iirc the biggest issue was the bootlegging of MVS.

Aruze then basically bought SNK to use their IPs on their pachinko etc. machines and didn't care about SNK as a game maker and intentionally under-funded them.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
The NGPC was a new step toward the console market, maybe it cost them too much only for it to be steamrolled by the Gameboy Color and mismanagement of international distribution...

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Correct me wrong, but did SNK lose money with the AES? I dont think that they expecte d it to sell more than the snes, it was just an extension to their mvs business

Beckx

Oct 26, 2017
Leave it to SNK to create a Sleep-Fu character. Meiten is really well done and seems to be liked quite a bit in general.

Shun is cool too and has a really slick DMC inspired fighting style. As far as being the next protagonist though I dunno, it doesn't feel like he has been given an all in focus like K' and Ash received when they were introduced, so he just feels like he's kinda there and that's it.

though at least they got the special sequence in between the Antonov and Verse fights. But i know what you mean. Still, i can dream about a game where you can switch them out on the fly kinda like that one DS castlevania.

GooeyHeat

Oct 29, 2017
Ah, nice to find this thread. Love me some SNK stuff. I'm actually going to a KOFXIV tournament tomorrow!

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
though at least they got the special sequence in between the Antonov and Verse fights. But i know what you mean. Still, i can dream about a game where you can switch them out on the fly kinda like that one DS castlevania.

Switching out on the fly in single player and controlling one each in multiplayer would be pretty sweet. There is so much potential for great spin off games like this with SNK's arsenal of characters.

Ah, nice to find this thread. Love me some SNK stuff. I'm actually going to a KOFXIV tournament tomorrow!

Welcome and good luck :)

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, so I have seen some of Hiroaki's other work before. I just didn't realize it was the same person. Thanks, guys!

colinp

Oct 27, 2017
Funnily enough the SNK online store in Japan just put up that they'll be releasing a bunch of clear file folders of Hiroaki's classic art in December.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Been using this free Neo Geo theme on my PS4. I usually have no problem recognizing SNK characters... but who's the guy in the upper screen of the theme?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
At the top are shin shishioh, geese in a suit OR the villain from super spy along takuma and his mr karate mask, and g mantle

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Wish me luck gang if all goes well i may order an ngpc by black friday
Hopefully i can get a good one for around $100 >_<

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Nona's better than Hiroaki but damn do I love the other work he's done for D4, Uppers and Advance Wars

Oct 29, 2017
https://twitter.com/manga_prd/status/926528061574664192
(Paragraph in the White Box) Appearance:
We find a saudi girl dressed in a black gulf dress trimmed with silver engravings. She looks strange as she has a special power, where her dress is haunted by a genie named Halek -as in extremely black-. Halek can materialize and take shape through the cloak and then disappear.
She wears a pair of modern leather gloves and boots for protection. The boots are long so that her legs are covered when the dress is lifting during combat
She wears a hood(I think) on her head, but during powerful attacks or intense combat it temporarily falls off. In addition to this, she wears gold accessories with blue sapphires for appearances.
The dress should be loose for freedom of movement and her limbs are usually covered by the cloak during crouching and are shown during movement
(The paragraph in the black box)Concept idea
After much though I decided to shy away from the stereotypical saudi design in the sword wielding black haired saudi man* and popular designs for saudi women and decided to design the character of a modern saudi woman in an inventive way to reflect the current evolution the kingdom is currently experience with the intent to conserve the traditions of the past and the islamic identity

https://twitter.com/manga_prd/status/926521855690858499

The thing I was most surprised with was the style and quality of the submissions. Personally I have a very limited understanding of Saudi Arabia, but I felt a resemblance in style and character design to the Japanese style. We received a lot of great submissions and we enjoyed seeing them all.

https://twitter.com/manga_prd/status/926523164330471424

Stay tuned for our upcoming projects, which will definitely meet your expectations. The thing I personally liked most was the design for Fahd(loosely translated to panther or leopard or some other wildcat), having this hybrid of a mysterious and strange kid with a monkey caught my attention

https://twitter.com/manga_prd/status/926526845184602112
For this occasion I would like to offer my greatest thanks to the Saudis character drawing contest in which a lot of Saudis came forward and so I would like to offer my thanks again. From the characters that were submitted, the femme fetal Najd(I think this is an arabic name) took first place. The uniqueness of this character couldn't have come from us Japanese, and we believe that the likes of this character would be the reasons for SNK's success in Saudia Arabia and the middle east.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
It feels so, so /so/ fucking good to see SNK actively seeking out fans to help with their projects.

also NGBC2 gonna be a classic