• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

C-Drive

Oct 26, 2017
I wish we'd get a Neo Geo Pocket collection for Switch with 2player mode added in. Joycons+NGPC Fighters would be a treat for tabletop playing.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
C0T3oR2UsAAYpNP.jpg

not my picture, but I somehow found one of these on eBay. It's in considerably worse condition than this one, but it seemed like a pretty rare item to me so I jumped on it. It's an RBS promo for the Saturn, but if anyone knows if this particular Shinkiro piece can be found in an art book or elsewhere, let me know. Anyways, just in time for the holidays!

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SNK sharing old concept art and promo art for KOF and Metal Slug on twitter.

Funnily enough the SNK online store in Japan just put up that they'll be releasing a bunch of clear file folders of Hiroaki's classic art in December.

That's really cool, hope they commission more from him. Heck I think it's about time they hired him back full time and have him be a lead artist on games ala Ogura for KoFXIV.

Stay tuned for our upcoming projects, which will definitely meet your expectations.

Yeah, it's definitely sounding like we are close to an announcement. A few months back there was word that Oda got approved to appear at a Sony conference but we didn't know which. Hopes rising for PSX.

Oh and this is the second time they are mentioning multiple projects being in the works, the last time they did that someone said it was a mistranslation but guess it wasn't. The way it's worded also makes it sound like they are core projects (rather than mobile).

not my picture, but I somehow found one of these on eBay. It's in considerably worse condition than this one, but it seemed like a pretty rare item to me so I jumped on it. It's an RBS promo for the Saturn, but if anyone knows if this particular Shinkiro piece can be found in an art book or elsewhere, let me know. Anyways, just in time for the holidays!

Great pick up! Iirc the artwork was present in the SNK Posters Collection book.

There was just so much amazing artwork being created back then, even after all these years I sometimes stumble across something I haven't seen before.

This is a gripe I have with the current SNK, it feels like there is very little artwork being created like that. Sure you have Falcoon posting sketches on twitter sometimes but the promo art (and the sheer amount of it) was just on another level during the old days.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Great pick up! Iirc the artwork was present in the SNK Posters Collection book.

There was just so much amazing artwork being created back then, even after all these years I sometimes stumble across something I haven't seen before.

This is a gripe I have with the current SNK, it feels like there is very little artwork being created like that. Sure you have Falcoon posting sketches on twitter sometimes but the promo art (and the sheer amount of it) was just on another level during the old days.
certainly a golden era of art, and you could say the promotion itself was an art form. I'm not sure if SNK even realizes how powerful that sort of thing could be for reinforcing their brand, lore, etc. even today. Either way, the history is there and who's to say they haven't thought about that kind of push going forward.

oh yeah, this morning I also picked up a complete, matching serials American MVS kit for KoF '98. My favorite fighter ever, maybe my favorite game of all time. It was only right to take it as soon as I had the opportunity. Will post pics on arrival.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
I wish we'd get a Neo Geo Pocket collection for Switch with 2player mode added in. Joycons+NGPC Fighters would be a treat for tabletop playing.
Yes! I'd take a NGPC collection any way I could get it. But it would be perfectly suited for the Switch.

Have any of the NGPC's games ever seen a re-release on another platform?

C-Drive

Oct 26, 2017
Yes! I'd take a NGPC collection any way I could get it. But it would be perfectly suited for the Switch.

Have any of the NGPC's games ever seen a re-release on another platform?

I would definitely take a collection anywhere.

And no, they've never been re-release and I can't really understand why.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Already found my main

Mentioned this in the other thread but if she's for KOFXV then I think they will relate her to Kukri somehow.

oh yeah, this morning I also picked up a complete, matching serials American MVS kit for KoF '98. My favorite fighter ever, maybe my favorite game of all time. It was only right to take it as soon as I had the opportunity. Will post pics on arrival.

Congrats, 98 is probably most people's fave KOF.

Looks like this was the announcement for that Saudi character design contest - pretty transparent indication of what the company was, if you knew the silhouettes:
http://manga.com.sa/designing-a-saudi-character-and-a-combat-arena-for-a-global-fight-game/

So it was both specific to that region while also being kinda sorta anonymous, no wonder we didn't hear about it until it was over. Very interesting to see SNK target regions like that.

The neat thing is that we ended up with a design that most people are finding cool in general instead of something stereotypical/obvious ala Rashid or Shaheen.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
Mentioned this in the other thread but if she's for KOFXV then I think they will relate her to Kukri somehow.

On some level I'd prefer if they didn't - Kukri, for one, is kind of a shady character (if useful, for Elisabeth at least), and odds are they're aiming for a more positive portrayal for this new character... of course, that's never stopped a relationship from working out in the series (Ash and Elisabeth, K'/Kula/Whip and the Ikaris, etc...).

There's always the likes of Sokaku from FF, who has his own spirit work and some cameos in KoF stages.

It's more of general islamic region thing than a specifically Saudi one, but I can't help but remember that the floor on Orochi's stage in 97 shared a pattern with that of the Bali stage, only the Bali stage's was painted IIRC. It's kind of a far stretch, but a sort of a djinn hunter travelling the world and investigating paranormal phenomena, and eventually coming across remnants of Orochi-related events, and making that her business, could be an viable tie to the existing story.
Not to mention all the kinds of spirits Verse might contain which would be related to character not yet introduced to KoF canon...

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On some level I'd prefer if they didn't - Kukri, for one, is kind of a shady character (if useful, for Elisabeth at least), and odds are they're aiming for a more positive portrayal for this new character... of course, that's never stopped a relationship from working out in the series (Ash and Elisabeth, K'/Kula/Whip and the Ikaris, etc...).

There's always the likes of Sokaku from FF, who has his own spirit work and some cameos in KoF stages.

It's more of general islamic region thing than a specifically Saudi one, but I can't help but remember that the floor on Orochi's stage in 97 shared a pattern with that of the Bali stage, only the Bali stage's was painted IIRC. It's kind of a far stretch, but a sort of a djinn hunter travelling the world and investigating paranormal phenomena, and eventually coming across remnants of Orochi-related events, and making that her business, could be an viable tie to the existing story.
Not to mention all the kinds of spirits Verse might contain which would be related to character not yet introduced to KoF canon...

I think the resemblance in their style/design is kind of undeniable:

There is also that speculation about Kukri being Arabic (or thereabouts) because he counts in Arabic during his spin kicks.

There are many ways they could be related, doesn't have to be romantically, can be a sibling, from the same clan/region or just someone they know. It could be done in many interesting ways and it would be pretty cool to see SNK integrate her like that with an existing character who seems to have an important role in the story. And you just know that whatever character is related to Kukri in any way will be a fun one:

If there's one thing that's better than a shady troll it's two shady trolls playing off of each other.

Oct 29, 2017
New batch of alleged rumors for NGBC2, I'm copying and pasting just as they were posted

SNK are very aware of their poor reputation in the US, and they're extremely desperate to fix that. Putting Geese in XIV was a bid to throw the American fans a bone, since statistically he's known to be particularly popular in the states. Needless to say, that didn't work very well, because the game still drastically underperformed in America. They did some market research and have decided to tailor most of NGBC2's design and motifs around American tastes. This was a factor in deciding what characters wouldn't return, particularly Shermie and Hotaru, since they're not convinced Americans will like sexy or cute female characters. These characters will likely not be removed from KoF, but since NGBC2 is being developed with the American market in mind, they decided to scrap them here.

I was told that Kula's drastic change in appearance and personality is part of an attempt to rebrand the character as their "mascot" for the American region. They found that a lot of American gamers seemed to really enjoy cyberpunk elements and androgynous/masculine female characters so they based Kula's redesign around those elements and gave her a less cute, more aggressive personality to fit her new look. I was told that they were inspired to do this because of the success of similar dark reboots like the Devil May Cry one from Capcom. They're hoping that they can use the new Kula to promote the SNK brand in the US, and if she's popular they might consider altering Kula in the main KOF games to match, but only for the US version. I asked why they wouldn't just create a new character, and was told that they considered it but they wanted to do something new with a fan favorite and take advantage of their existing popularity.

Additionally, they altered or outright removed a lot of the sexual elements of other characters due to the reception that popular games like SFV and MKX had for cleaning up their female characters. They first thought of this when Capcom altered the camera angles on R. Mika and Cammy. Allegedly, they had no clue that American audiences were sensitive to these types of things until very recently. I was assured that these changes were not being made with eSports in mind, but rather because they've seen the various controversies over sexualized female characters from Western gamers and the outcry from the mainstream gaming media. They believe that they'll reach a bigger audience this way, because their core fans will support them no matter what, and with these changes the average American gamer demographic will be more likely to jump onboard.

I really, really hope this is just someone talking out of their asses because is incredibly confusing.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Just found these sprites based on XIV characters and they are looking pretty good.

DN4UckUVwAMFnPN.jpg:large

Source: https://twitter.com/fuku_84/status/927201321215713280
Wow these are great! :O

New batch of alleged rumors for NGBC2, I'm copying and pasting just as they were posted

I really, really hope this is just someone talking out of their asses because is incredibly confusing.
Removing sexual elements to cater to the West audience? darthvadernoooo.jpg

Loona

Oct 29, 2017

I'm all for Kula not being mentally stuck as an ice-scream obsessed infant, and giving her and K' something to wear other than leather tightsuits, but if the changes are too drastic, wouldn't such an attempt at American acceptance also compromise people's ability to recognize the character? At some point, might as well give Leona the buzzcut since she's already in the military and probably wouldn't care...

I guess with the popularity of shooters, ensuring Ralf & Clark are covered would make sense beyond the reference to SNK classics.

If the mindset behind this is true, it would align with Rock's inclusion as DLC for XIV in the very least...

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It sounds like someone not only talking out of their ass but also flat out lacking knowledge in general.

1. The Devil May Cry reboot was a sales and PR disaster, no one in their right mind would want to copy its 'success'. Its character redesigs were horribly received.

2. SFV is the most over-sexualized SF to date, to the point where people compare it and its DLC costumes to Dead or Alive.

Shinriji

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

"BUNCH OF NONSENSE"

I was all in for a new Negibako (the first one was an amazing mess, just like SNK), but there is so much wrong in that analysis that I really hope that this leaker is spewing some vile bullshit.

Then again, it's SNK that we are talking about.

colinp

Oct 27, 2017
Someone is selling these on the Japanese flea market app Merkari for about $700. They say they are very rare, but does anyone know why they have labels like this? Are they prototypes or something? Or maybe review copies...?

The games are SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters, Magical Drop Pocket, Fatal Fury, Sonic the Hedgehog and Pac Man.

286974_84a83670469b4616a9d51d6f88469a1f.jpeg

Loona

Oct 29, 2017

Why even advertise a poorly thought-out article by helping people reach it with a link?...

It's been making the rounds, but that site alright neglects SNK's output enough that people who care about the games have probably grown used to ignoring the place or not expecting anything from it - might as well not reward them with clicks when their coverage turns from neutral or non-existent to practically negative...

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why even advertise a poorly thought-out article by helping people reach it with a link?...

It's been making the rounds, but that site alright neglects SNK's output enough that people who care about the games have probably grown used to ignoring the place or not expecting anything from it - might as well not reward them with clicks when their coverage turns from neutral or non-existent to practically negative...

People laugh at the site in general, not just for KOF. It's amusing to see this level of stupid on display.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
in preparation of trying to obtain some more MVS carts, I've been trying to re-learn Real Bout Special and Real Bout 2 (playing on the PS2 Real Bout compilation). RB2 was actually one of the first fighting games I tried to become competitive in, and I got the hang of Xiangfei for a while. Getting back into it now and yeah, these games are incredible. Wonderful music, sprites, gameplay, etc. Classic SNK and must haves for any Neo Geo fan.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
in preparation of trying to obtain some more MVS carts, I've been trying to re-learn Real Bout Special and Real Bout 2 (playing on the PS2 Real Bout compilation). RB2 was actually one of the first fighting games I tried to become competitive in, and I got the hang of Xiangfei for a while. Getting back into it now and yeah, these games are incredible. Wonderful music, sprites, gameplay, etc. Classic SNK and must haves for any Neo Geo fan.

This guy did a bunch of great beginner guides for the game:

General Mechanics Guide
Li Xiangfei Guide

And yeah it's a wonderful game and series. Great visuals and animation, introduced a lot of mechanics and loaded with awesome characters.

If ever there is a new Fatal Fury I think most people would want a direct MOTW sequel but I personally wouldn't mind a return to the previous formula, or a combination of both.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Real bout 2 had so much data in it that they had to cut out victory animations and shit
It is the most 'gameplay-centric' of the ff series but the charm that was in rb1 and special are missed

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Real bout 2 is among snk's top 10 fighters
Despite its infinites :v
it's so brutal, I love it! I didn't know about RB2 having cut assets btw. It would be great to see a definitive re-release. With Samurai Shodown V Special being put out again uncensored, I would say it isn't impossible.
This guy did a bunch of great beginner guides for the game:

General Mechanics Guide
Li Xiangfei Guide

And yeah it's a wonderful game and series. Great visuals and animation, introduced a lot of mechanics and loaded with awesome characters.

If ever there is a new Fatal Fury I think most people would want a direct MOTW sequel but I personally wouldn't mind a return to the previous formula, or a combination of both.
cheers for the links. You know initially the plane thing was off-putting for me, but with a more mature perspective on fighting games, I couldn't imagine the series without it. Both Garou 2 and Real Bout 3 are mandatory.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Someone is selling these on the Japanese flea market app Merkari for about $700. They say they are very rare, but does anyone know why they have labels like this? Are they prototypes or something? Or maybe review copies...?

The games are SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters, Magical Drop Pocket, Fatal Fury, Sonic the Hedgehog and Pac Man.
I saw those this morning!
They've listed them as demos, but assumed they were prototype versions.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Special feels rather slow to me.
it seemed slow to me initially, but eventually I came to love the general flow of matches. After RB2, FFS is one of the first games I started playing on GGPO (like 2008 ish), and I still have a lot of fun playing it today. I've been watching Japanese matches lately, and it's making me want to start playing online again. Krauser city.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Nah not really? It's pretty self-explanatory. They need Iori solely for work related purposes otherwise it's strictly business. Vice and Mature -- like the rest of the Hakkeshu -- actually have lives outside of worshipping Orochi.

But they were okay with him killing them during his Riot of The Blood rampage.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Professor posted some good info about the character designer of Kyo/Iori and the Fallen Angels (Daraku Tenshi) game:

Regarding Morioka, he left SNK somewhere around 1996. I'm not sure if he came back for KOF99-- it might've been that he did, or it might've been that the developers of KOF99 made characters based on concept sketches that he left behind (which was reportedly the way how Yashiro was created in KOF97). Either way, he had strong influence over the designs of K' and Maxima, and they share distinct similarities with some characters (Cool and Harry) in Daraku Tenshi (The Fallen Angels)which was published by Psikyo in 1998.

I'm not sure if Morioka was fully employed by Psikyo, but by 1999 he was already doing freelance and worked on the cover art for Konami's N64 game Hybrid Heaven and also started to take on various artwork outside of the game industry such as the theatrical play Psy-U-Chic and the novel series Makai Suikoden. I'm not sure where he works right now-- he's been inactive from the public scene for a while and even deleted all his illustrations that he had up on Flickr a few years ago. He has a public mail address still left on Flickr if you want to try and contact him.

On a side note, it should be noted as like Chaz said-- Mitsuo Kodama of K2 was the director of Daraku Tenshi and he was also the graphics guy behind KOF94 before he moved to Psikyo. He used to be at Irem and worked on R-Type, the moved to SNK when Irem flopped. That's why KOF94 has that almost metallic glossy look to their characters, almost like a Shmup'. (So he worked at Irem>SNK>Psikyo>launched K2 corp.)

The thing about Kodama, he's been very critical and vocal about the later KOFs that SNK created after he left their development scene. While it's up to interpretation, he once made a Tweet saying "you shouldn't make a character that looks just like Daraku Tenshi's Cool which took so hard to create", which seems to be a jab at KOF99.

If we take his word literally and also look at the puns that KOF99's devs threw into their game, the relationship between Psikyo and SNK's developers might have been rocky.

(So while it's unknown whether Morioka went back and worked on KOF99, as far as my personal guess goes, I sort of doubt it)

Seems there might have been some bad blood between SNK and the Fallen Angels devs. Fallens Angels being 'incomplete' was such a shame, some really nice sprite work and character designs there there, my fave was Haiji. Remember reading something about the director having a full on nervous breakdown and being hospitalized during development.

Fatal Fury Special is awesome.

true story.

Yeah this one is really loved, unfortunately non of my arcades had it growing up so I got to play it way later. Still seems to be getting a lot of love in Japan as well, often see new tournament footage.

You can also see its influence on SF4, especially in the combo system. SF4's link combos look extremely similar to FFS's combos. One can say SF4 aped them but then again it was probably the ex SNK guys at Dimps doing their thing, they lifted a lot of mechanics from Fatal Fury/MOTW for SF4 and SF5 in general.

Episode 15 of Destiny is gone over copyright claims from V Chinese

Strange, maybe there will be a cut up version like that one ep of the English version where they cut out Angelina singing a licensed song?

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
The only fighting game I am OK with links in is Garou. Then again I main Grant, so linking is crucial to using him :V

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
I was watching a video about SNK's history on YouTube, and Neo Geo Hyper 64 was mentioned, and it made me wonder if SNK would've been more successful had they released their games on a PlayStation based arcade hardware instead. Capcom opted to develop for Sony ZN-1 and ZN-2 arcade boards and made a number of titles (Street Fighter EX series, Star Gladiator series, Rival Schools etc) which, if I'm not mistaken, did rather well. OTOH Neo Geo Hyper 64 ended up being a massive failure, it was discontinued just 2 years after release with only 7 games produced. It such a shame especially considering that MVS was popular in the arcades.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
IIRC that was around the time they were also dealing with the NeoGeo Pocket - I wonder if splitting their attention hardware-wise was a factor in things not working out...

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's so good to see them do well and also be so active. And the best part is that this is all after they closed their pachislot business and went back to being a full on game developer. Between these profits and their Chinese overloads being filthy rich, resource wise at least SNK should be set.

The main thing for them is to step outside of fighting games and tackle new genres imo, that's they only way they are going to expand their core games business. Sticking just to KOF or fighting games will only get them so far.

That KOF Festival looks like it was really fun, all the cosplay is so on point. Wonder if there is a stream archive anywhere. Also, seems like there is an unusual number of ladies for a fighting game event?

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's so good to see them do well and also be so active. And the best part is that this is all after they closed their pachislot business and went back to being a full on game developer. Between these profits and their Chinese overloads being filthy rich, resource wise at least SNK should be set.

The main thing for them is to step outside of fighting games and tackle new genres imo, that's they only way they are going to expand their core games business. Sticking just to KOF or fighting games will only get them so far.

That KOF Festival looks like it was really fun, all the cosplay is so on point. Wonder if there is a stream archive anywhere. Also, seems like there is an unusual number of ladies for a fighting game event?
Here: https://go.twitch.tv/videos/200305677

The "Pillow Fight Exhibition" that was Ryu Seira (Meitenkun's Voice Actress) playing against people in mirror matches only using Meitenkun was pretty fun.

KOF seems to be popular with girls in Japan.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here: https://go.twitch.tv/videos/200305677

The "Pillow Fight Exhibition" that was Ryu Seira (Meitenkun's Voice Actress) playing against people in mirror matches only using Meitenkun was pretty fun.

KOF seems to be popular with girls in Japan.

Thanks for the link man, will definitely watch after work today. Cosplay commentary is always fun and that Meitenkun VA seems to have quite a bit of spunk, she was a lot of fun at the KOF world championship as well.

It's good to see the series doing well with ladies in Japan. They even set up their own community recently to hold women's only tournaments and events etc. Wonder if that's a lot of them at the event.

Draco

Oct 27, 2017
I could easily see SNK branching out like Capcom and start developing new IP. Say, a DMC/Stylish action game equivalent???? They have the combat planning prowess with Ishizawa on tap. I also really would love for them to broker a deal with Capcom for CVS3 sometime in my lifetime...