• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
Here: https://go.twitch.tv/videos/200305677

The "Pillow Fight Exhibition" that was Ryu Seira (Meitenkun's Voice Actress) playing against people in mirror matches only using Meitenkun was pretty fun.

KOF seems to be popular with girls in Japan.

KoF in particular has a bit of a reputation for featuring some pretty boys, and stuff like the Kyo/Iori dynamic kinda helps feed a certain kind of fandom - if that ultimately means KoF has a broad and flexible appeal in its niche, all the better.

I mean, between a gender-balanced event like this one than covers both a bit of competition, cosplay, fan art, themed food and drinks plus some official merch, and the more typical competition-focused FGC sausage fest, the first one just seems like an alround more pleasant experience where different aspects of the game could be enjoyed and discussed. I'm glad KoF is quietly pulling it off.
I wonder if there's a future for official SNK support for stuff like this around the world like there is for plain tournaments...

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
J9BkySm.gif

Wonder if Geese has actually died ala Fatal Fury or will live like in the KOF timeline. Guess it makes sense now why they introduced Rock so early.

Is that Terry's love interest in the show? Come on man, you think you'd figured it out after 3
animated movie.

Er... we've known she'll die since she first appeared in the show. Doesn't make it any less of a bummer.

I could easily see SNK branching out like Capcom and start developing new IP. Say, a DMC/Stylish action game equivalent???? They have the combat planning prowess with Ishizawa on tap. I also really would love for them to broker a deal with Capcom for CVS3 sometime in my lifetime...

They also have IPs and characters already available that can easily be used in many genres, including character action.

As for CVS3, it's cool and all from a fan perspective but if being realistic then I'm not so sure why they would want to. SNK got burned by the previous deal with Capcom, Namco got burned by their cross over deal with Capcom and Capcom almost burned Arcsys but the deal fell through (because of Capcom).

I remember renting Fatal Fury The Motion Picture from Blockbuster Video.

Love this movie, have long since lost count of how many times I've rewatched it.

Last edited:

Amedo310

Nov 15, 2017
I've been through a lot of things lately involving SNK products.

Any folks plan on buying the Terry Bogard Kinetiquettes Statue?

https://twitter.com/Kinetiquettes/status/929174618597883909

This is the only item I'm getting day one. No matter the cost.

I manage to get two NeoGeo MVSs from a friend and I might turn them into consoles somehow. The only reason I wanted them in the first place was to test out a NeoGeo cable port in my modded arcade stick. It took about three times of rewiring.

Last edited:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
KoF in particular has a bit of a reputation for featuring some pretty boys, and stuff like the Kyo/Iori dynamic kinda helps feed a certain kind of fandom - if that ultimately means KoF has a broad and flexible appeal in its niche, all the better.

I mean, between a gender-balanced event like this one than covers both a bit of competition, cosplay, fan art, themed food and drinks plus some official merch, and the more typical competition-focused FGC sausage fest, the first one just seems like an alround more pleasant experience where different aspects of the game could be enjoyed and discussed. I'm glad KoF is quietly pulling it off.
I wonder if there's a future for official SNK support for stuff like this around the world like there is for plain tournaments...

A friend told me once that SNK designed Kyo and Iori having the fujoshi group in mind as a potential target

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
So, Code Mystics Neo Geo ports for Switch had gotten positive reception and attention in the past unlike the barebones and flawed ports of Neo Geo games to other platforms including PC, usually from DotEmu or other randoms. Now a Code Mystics port of Last Blade 2 is out on Steam. Thioughts? Anyone post a thread about it? It came out of nowhere for me.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/702110/THE_LAST_BLADE_2/

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
holy MAGIKARP gotta get this.
Let us know how it is, especially the video options, if there are good crisp settings with nice scanlines and such :)

I see in screenshots that it has new menus which is understandable for some things (mode and settings select, I don't know if the arcade cart put in a home system had all these options) but it would be bad for others, though at least I also see the original character select screen is there so that's a good sign over the DotEmu Metal Slug 3 port which had some really awful menu replacements for no reason like on character select.

It also has online multiplayer apparently.

El Sabroso

Oct 25, 2017
Monterrey, MX
So, Code Mystics Neo Geo ports for Switch had gotten positive reception and attention in the past unlike the barebones and flawed ports of Neo Geo games to other platforms including PC, usually from DotEmu or other randoms. Now a Code Mystics port of Last Blade 2 is out on Steam. Thioughts? Anyone post a thread about it? It came out of nowhere for me.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/702110/THE_LAST_BLADE_2/
what, weren't those just from Hasmter Co. ?

anyways both companies have brought good emulation to modern consoles, Code Mystics afaik bringed KI classic and Phantom Dust to XB1 and the releases from Hamster ACA NEOGEO are really good on Switch

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
You're right, my bad, Code Mystics did the other console ports like Garou and SamSho V Special on PS4/Vita, sorry about that.

They also did the awesome ports of KoF 98 and 2002 on Steam though, re-tuning them in the process, I really liked those so the point kinda stands!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I'm not boy.
Y3d17V0.jpg

The Pocket did not have a Lithium Battery so tomorrow I'm gonna go to a shop and get one

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
Didn't Code Mystics do some of the PS4 ports for SNK games? Are they supposed to be good ports? It's hard to find reviews by people who know what to look for (input lag, sound glitches, etc.)

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been through a lot of things lately involving SNK products.

Any folks plan on buying the Terry Bogard Kinetiquettes Statue?

https://twitter.com/Kinetiquettes/status/929174618597883909

This is the only item I'm getting day one. No matter the cost.

Been waiting for you to join the party, good to have you here man.

And yeah, that Terry statue looks fantastic. The pose, the detail, everything is on point. I think it will be a minimum of $300 USD though, close to $500 CAD probably :/

Aside from being a really cool and very unique move, I wonder if it's something they are testing out for doing in future games?

Would be pretty damn hype if they did something like this as a lead up to KOFXV or another game's launch next time.

Also, interesting to note that not only the character design portion was won by a woman but the stage design was also won by another woman. We were talking about KOF being popular with ladies in Japan, interesting to see perhaps the same being true in the middle east as well.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Someone from SRK forums translated the comments about Najd design on this piece of concept art

eVcOmNi.jpg

Paragraph in the white box)Appearance:
We find a saudi girl dressed in a black gulf dress trimmed with silver engravings. She looks strange as she has a special power, where her dress is haunted by a genie named Halek -as in extremely black-. Halek can materialize and take shape through the cloak and then disappear.
She wears a pair of modern leather gloves and boots for protection. The boots are long so that her legs are covered when the dress is lifting during combat

She wears a hood(I think) on her head, but during powerful attacks or intense combat it temporarily falls off. In addition to this, she wears gold accessories with blue sapphires for appearances.
The dress should be loose for freedom of movement and her limbs are usually covered by the cloak during crouching and are shown during movement
(The paragraph in the black box)Concept idea
After much though I decided to shy away from the stereotypical saudi design in the sword wielding black haired saudi man* and popular designs for saudi women and decided to design the character of a modern saudi woman in an inventive way to reflect the current evolution the kingdom is currently experience with the intent to conserve the traditions of the past and the islamic identity

Here's a small snippet from KOF's lead artist Ogura Eisuke

https://twitter.com/manga_prd/status/926521855690858499

The thing I was most surprised with was the style and quality of the submissions. Personally I have a very limited understanding of Saudi Arabia, but I felt a resemblance in style and character design to the Japanese style. We received a lot of great submissions and we enjoyed seeing them all.

From Oda:

https://twitter.com/manga_prd/status/926526845184602112

For this occasion I would like to offer my greatest thanks to the Saudis character drawing contest in which a lot of Saudis came forward and so I would like to offer my thanks again. From the characters that were submitted, the femme fetal Najd(I think this is an arabic name) took first place. The uniqueness of this character couldn't have come from us Japanese, and we believe that the likes of this character would be the reasons for SNK's success in Saudia Arabia and the middle east.

And concept art of some of her moves

bymG7zN.jpg

I'm honestly curious to see how they will translate her face since is a bit jarring on the concept art

MUUjIBF.jpg

Oh, and here's the concept art for the new stage

pwyyahb.jpg

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SNK is still posting a weekly comic for the April fools game from a year or two ago, and I'm still hoping they are turning it into a real game (not sure why else they would post the comic for so long?). Luong is in the newest one:

As for Najd, I like this point from Oda:

The uniqueness of this character couldn't have come from us Japanese, and we believe that the likes of this character would be the reasons for SNK's success in Saudia Arabia and the middle east.

Not so much SNK themselves but other Japanese devs do get carried away with going for stereotypical/obvious designs ala Shaheen and Rashid. Najd's design is good at the core without parading the origin around. This is close to how SNK handles their designs (look at Bandeiras, Meitenkun etc. for recent examples).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Got me a new battery for NGPC and it works swell now! Time to fire up and play Sonic Pocket Adventure.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hey SNK community, i grabbed 2 U.S. (legit) AES titles today bc my local retro store is having an insane blk friday deal. 33% off everything.

i got more game but these were really cheap. Magician Lord was $66 and Nam 75' was $53

odn6NQBl.jpg

oOQYJNbl.jpg

XpqWgP1l.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
Here's the final "leak" about NGBC2

Playstation Experience is almost here, and you've probably noticed that SNK aren't one of the companies presenting. There's a reason for that. Atlus are once again publishing, and I expect that the trailer will be a part of their lineup.

I've already shared as much as I can, and from this point on I have nothing new to say. Not only is the date of the reveal close approaching, but my source cut off contact with me. They were furious that I was sharing so many details with you all.

One last thing I will tell you is that Ralf and Moriya have had very slight last minute redesigns because SNK fears backlash in the wake of the Sylvester Stallone and Nobuhiro Watsuki scandals. Ralf's face is remodelled to resemble his appearance in the pre-XII KoF titles, and Moriya's default color scheme was changed, I have no clue if the classic red color will be selectable as an alternative.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
great pickups David!

as for me, these are my most recent SNK related pickups that would definitely fall under Black Friday deals. Picture from the eBay listing:

yy4nHps.jpg

I'm stoked.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Here's the final "leak" about NGBC2
This reads like a fever dream while on crack

Ralf never looked like stallone and i nevr associated moriya with ruroni kenshin even tho i get the inspirations

At any rate snk shouldnt put a big prriod between ps4 and pc telease of this title regardless of what atlus would have them do

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
This reads like a fever dream while on crack

Ralf never looked like stallone and i nevr associated moriya with ruroni kenshin even tho i get the inspirations

At any rate snk shouldnt put a big prriod between ps4 and pc telease of this title regardless of what atlus would have them do

Ralf was intended to reference Rambo, a Stallone character, as far back as Ikari Warriors, and some illustrations still reference that look, although the facial features weren't particularly close.
Watsuki is supposed to be a fan of SS, and Last Blade is in turn aesthetically inspired by his work - while no specific character is the series' Kenshin, Moriya's colors resemble that the most, if not a lot. also, apparently Watsuki got to design SSV's Yoshitora.

These supposed leaks are still to be taken with a grain of salt, but these thing sound a bit more plausible than the Kula drastic haircut thing.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great pick ups guys, so jelly.

A new Mai figure is on the way btw:

DPfJ_c8U8AAOZp7.jpg

Nice, looking forward to seeing how it looks.

We have a CG TV show so far and now the manga, guess the live action KOF might be next. Wonder if the anime is still in the works or if KOF Destiny is its replacement.

The new owners are sure following through with their goals of cross media pushes with SNK's properties. Hopefully stuff outside KOF will get some love too eventually.

Angelina is basically Lily McGuire from the Fatal Fury anime expect she wasn't involved with the death of Terry's father.

My take on them going with Angelina is that a lot of people today might mistake Lily for Leona.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh dear
Get ready to learn that dodge roll like your life depended on it
man! i love that you can play as a bad guy after beating him. that was so cool back then in the arcades =)

great pickups David!

as for me, these are my most recent SNK related pickups that would definitely fall under Black Friday deals. Picture from the eBay listing:

yy4nHps.jpg

I'm stoked.
wow, those things must be expensive! and look so mint. congrats!

Great pick ups guys, so jelly.

A new Mai figure is on the way btw:

DPfJ_c8U8AAOZp7.jpg

Nice, looking forward to seeing how it looks.

We have a CG TV show so far and now the manga, guess the live action KOF might be next. Wonder if the anime is still in the works or if KOF Destiny is its replacement.

The new owners are sure following through with their goals of cross media pushes with SNK's properties. Hopefully stuff outside KOF will get some love too eventually.

My take on them going with Angelina is that a lot of people today might mistake Lily for Leona.
oh nice!

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Ralf and Moriya rumors confirmed that these leaks are bullshit.

The stallone thing hasn't overblown that much here in the west, so I doubt that a japanese Company of all places will feel like removing him, and this considering that Ralf never looked like stallone after Ikari 3. And the Watsuki stuff was last week, I seriously doubt that SNK has the time to change the design of moriya in a quick pace. Also, I don't know what kind of change they could have made to him considering tan

1) Even though the references and inspiration are obvious, Moriya isn't that related to Watsuki to change him, specially compared to someone like Yoshitora who was created by him
2) I don't know what kind of color changes they could make to him without making it look weird. The most obvious reference with watsuki is his red hair, and changing that will be like making other character

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Ikeep forgetting that Ikari is inspisred by Rambo XD
Then again Ikari 2 had Ralf fight aliens in space and I really wish SNK would like take the 3 games and rework them with various QOL and release them as the secret history of Ralf Jones.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i knew them as paul and vince. lol

anyways, that was one game i can beat in a quarter, Ikari Warriors, i watched my older brother beat it in one life and just copied his patterns. (this was back in the arcades)

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

anyways, that was one game i can beat in a quarter, Ikari Warriors, i watched my older brother beat it in one life and just copied his patterns. (this was back in the arcades)

Congrats, those 80's games were very hard to beat in 1 cc

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats, those 80's games were very hard to beat in 1 cc
ah, those memories... i wish the rotating joysticks caught on and made it to home consoles. that concept was so neat back in the days.

i'm pretty excited:
my supergun is coming this month, i'll post up some neogeo mvs screen shots once i have it setup.