• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The King Of Fighters Destiny Anime Is On Production Hiatus.

In fact, despite the first season pulling big numbers, and receiving great reviews from fans and media outlets alike, SNK has yet to officially order a second season. What is also strange is how the chairman of SNK corporation, Mr Ge Zhihui, announced back in January that work is ongoing on the second season, but according to my sources nothing has been done on it yet as of last month. On the bright side, Idragons production, the company that is producing the series, has not received a series cancellation notice from SNK either. This means, while the show is not officially cancelled, it is also has not been officially renewed.

I was honestly waiting for a trailer to hit for S2 :(

Could they have hired another studio like the article speculates?

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interview with Nobuyuki Kuroki.

Some nice tidbits in there, also mention of new SamSho:

Is there a particular piece of artwork within your SNK back catalogue that you are most proud of and can you explain?

In the era of NeoGeo, it was Garou: Mark of the Wolves. I was in charge of the most parts about the characters in the game.

I proposed the characters should take a different direction than previous Fatal Fury series. I believe that we created one of the highest quality-animation in the NeoGeo fighting games.

Not only me but also all staff who worked on Fatal Fury or Art of Fighting made used of their all past experiences on this title.

In addition to this, I cannot say the details but… another one will be Samurai Shodown!

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
The second set of free DLC for the SNK 4th collection has been revealed:

Beast Busters
Bermuda Triangle
Ozma Wars
Paddle Mania
SAR: Search and Rescue

The Previously announced Freebies are Sasuke vs. Commander, Munch Mobile, Fantasy, Chopper I and Time Soldiers.

I find that I NEVER see anyone talk about Beast Busters. I became more interested in the game after the NGP Dark Arms: Beast Busters 99, but even finding decent footage seemed hard. So I'm pretty happy to see it make the collection.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I find that I NEVER see anyone talk about Beast Busters. I became more interested in the game after the NGP Dark Arms: Beast Busters 99, but even finding decent footage seemed hard. So I'm pretty happy to see it make the collection.

Every time the title is mentioned internally someone recites the story about how Michael Jackson supposedly owned a cabinet and brought it with him on tour via cargo plane.
If the stories are to be believed of course!

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Every time the title is mentioned internally someone recites the story about how Michael Jackson supposedly owned a cabinet and brought it with him on tour via cargo plane.
If the stories are to be believed of course!
Haha, that's one I haven't heard, and sounds awesome. I was looking over it the other day, and thinking how the "zombies" are pretty Thriller like, compared to the stuff you see now-a-days in TWD and the like. Taking actual poses before shooting at you with GUNS. The zombies are MUCH too active, and that's crazy frightening, compared to brainless moaners that you could dance around with a bit of footwork.

I actually LIKED the mobile game from a few years back, too. It was fun how it really had very arcade-like stage design (with proper secrets from shooting certain areas. and predictable waves with occasional variations.), and I enjoyed the featured art and characters too (which looks a lot like the Kimi wa Hero Stuff; didn't know Falcoon was back and around at the time). I'd probably still play it, and Rhythm of Fighters on occasion, if console-style versions existed.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
The 40th anniversary collection dropped right? Anyone pick it up? I got hyped but then lost hype since I'm just really looking for more games to play with my fight stick. Might get the street fighter collection instead.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
http://shmuplations.com/snkgoldenage/

Wow, didn't know that SNK straight up stole the neo geo design from Capcom. Also, didn't know that the bitter rivalry between both companies was because of the fallout from both presidents who at one point where very good friends

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018

Wow, didn't know that SNK straight up stole the neo geo design from Capcom. Also, didn't know that the bitter rivalry between both companies was because of the fallout from both presidents who at one point where very good friends

IIRC ADK was the main force behind the design of the NeoGeo, the sound hardware was pretty much designed by them. Capcom already had the CPS1 and several games released by then.

Oct 29, 2017

Also, seems like SNK Heroes will indeed, be a thing

zyFI3s3.png

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
So now, no SamShoShowing at the game awards. Where do you think SNK will update us on SamSho next?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's an end of year news update. Over their YouTube? During some Korean, Chinese, or Japanese event? *Shrug* If anything, SNK seems to take much of it's incremental updating into it's own hands. The multiple web shows for promoting Heroines weren't really tied to anything. XIV also did a few, though they were released closer to specific events.

If Q2 is the release window, I could definitely see monthly updates starting in January. I love the fact that, once their hype trains start, they really don't start until weeks AFTER release. It might seem like it takes ages for them to get ready, but once they are, it's a comfortable ride.

The 40th anniversary collection dropped right? Anyone pick it up? I got hyped but then lost hype since I'm just really looking for more games to play with my fight stick. Might get the street fighter collection instead.

Got it here. Haven't played it as MUCH as I'd like, but what's there has been greatly presented. I was still burned by the silly PlayStation Mini releases that made old 2P games forced single player only. So getting proper, well respected emulations here was just fantastic. I never got into the Ikari games much, and having 2 versions of many of the games to play around with is something I absolutely enjoy.

And 11 more games will be added free-of-charge on... December 11th. So it's a pretty great collection, especially if you're one of those people who likes your classic arcade games to be presented with utmost respect. I love getting a bunch of classics for cheap, sure, but I also respect the experiences that try to explain why the games were and are so meaningful. This ranks alongside the Namco Museum releases from the PS1 days (which had 3D Museum rooms for each game, that each had secret areas and content) and the Backbone genesis Collection from last gen (which included video interviews with creators, and unlockable Master System and Arcade games) in how much love and care is put into it.

Sounds like an interesting read! Will have to take the time to go through it. Thanks for bringing it to attention.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So now, no SamShoShowing at the game awards. Where do you think SNK will update us on SamSho next?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's an end of year news update. Over their YouTube? During some Korean, Chinese, or Japanese event? *Shrug* If anything, SNK seems to take much of it's incremental updating into it's own hands. The multiple web shows for promoting Heroines weren't really tied to anything. XIV also did a few, though they were released closer to specific events.

If Q2 is the release window, I could definitely see monthly updates starting in January. I love the fact that, once their hype trains start, they really don't start until weeks AFTER release. It might seem like it takes ages for them to get ready, but once they are, it's a comfortable ride.

Not sure what their strategy is exactly but so far it's radio silence compared to KOFXIV.

By this point after XIV's first trailer we already had more trailers, a bunch of character reveals, roster size and a public playable demo with lots of gameplay footage floating online.

Wonder if the cancellation of PSX messed with their plans.

Last edited:

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
It should be in EVO Japan 2019, except no details have been released for an international event thats supposed to happen in 2 months.
I could see that being the Gameplay live demo reveal for SAMSHO, but not sure if it needs to be the beginning of the hype train. Compared to last year, we had news of new KoF XIV characters that would appear at Evo Japan, announced around the middle of Dec.

For other SNK-related stuff now, we have SNK 40th releasing it's 11 additional games today, and then Janne for SNKHTTF 2 days after this. Heroines next DLC characters normally get a trailer a little less than 2 weeks after the release of the previous character. If they keep that momentum going, maybe we'll get a wammy of SNK stuff around similar dates; Including the patch to KoF XIV that's coming late Dec. They also generally like to do their Christmas celebration pictures around that time.

Not sure what their strategy is exactly but so far it's radio silence compared to KOFXIV.

By this point after XIV's first trailer we already had more trailers, a bunch of character reveals, roster size and a public playable demo with lots of gameplay footage floating online.

Wonder if the cancellation of PSX messed with their plans.

I do wonder if it could just be because they're trying to focus harder this time. I LOVED the incremental, bit-by-bit style of XIV's stuff, but for media at large? Just gave them more reasons to knock on graphics or incorrect this and that. That first SamSho reveal was one of the most front-loaded fighter reveals we've seen in a while.

samurai-shodown2018-art.png

Man I wish we had a nice, HD version of that by now, lol. Anywho...

...Even if PSX's cancellation messed them up some, they're not above taking things into their own hands. Sounds like it's time to call up MAXWELL POWERS again, and have him make another dual ENG / JP presentation, as he did for the NeoGeo Mini!

It would be nice to start getting Screenshots of the Day (heck, I'd take of the WEEK) with SS at some point. It has a style the could be very fitting for such a thing. Even if we have to wait longer, I hope it happens.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SNK Chairman Not Happy With KOFXIV Graphics Bets On KOFXV With UE4

SNK's boss kinda rips into KOFXIV, seems they have a lot of confidence in SamSho/KOFXV.

Is this also why they haven't renewed the KOF Destiny animated series for a second season from the same studio? It too had a lot of graphical complaints (though everything else was extremely on point).

After having to wait years for a new mainline game from them it's still hard to believe that we will be getting a new SamSho and a new KOF within a year of each other.

WELL... THIS isn't the collaboration I saw coming for SamSho!

Guess SNK has started moving in on western mobile games with their collaborations, interesting.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
me and my KoF friends are making it a point to session more and stream/record while we're at it. Totally new to this streaming thing (using OBS right now) and the layout is far from complete, but here's a little clip to show where I am with it. 2002 UM is amazing but damn are some of these combos hard.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Anyone interested in watching some high level SamSho action should check out the SS2 World Cup tournament that went down tonight.

https://youtu.be/n8RUl0CN_4A

I think it was one of the most hype tournaments I have ever seen from start to finish. Incredible level of play all around.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Official release time for KoF XIV's Patch? CHRISTMAS DAY?!? Yup, we'll surely all be playing it then! Though I wonder if Najd and Heidi will feel like They's getting a nice gift...

Dec 2, 2017
It's really encouraging to hear they're not married to that visual style. I've been playing KoF since it started, but the style of XIV put me right off it. Now if they could just move away from the super long combos...

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
The visual style of XIV is as much a style of convenience, as almost every KOF after 98 was. It let them achieve greater goals that no other company is trying to challenge. The amount of solid work they were able to make is still impressive. Samurai Shodown's background art, and attempts at emulating a 2D style (not just a 2D-esque look, but an actual style that could be born from hand-painted art) solidly enforces that they have the vision for what people want.

At this point, I'm more curious about what they'll have to compromise, if they push the graphics direction more. A budget increase due to XIV keeping them alive will surely help, as will the increased experience. But will we start off with less characters? Less stages? Less characters and EX moves, but more complex base move sets? Less unique voicework and music? More shared effects work? It wouldn't bother me to get less starting characters, and have a year or 2 of season passes bring it up to XIV's roster.

Of course, a game that'll most likely bring back the Orochi team, would be a great game to make EX characters a focus. Taken even further, adding gameplay shifts that'll allow people to play more 98 Style (More damage, less long combos) XIV style (MAX and EX moves behind it, plus longer combos) and XI style (tag-teams, Ratio system, tags mid-combo, basically bring broken and impossible to balance ;) ) would also make "less" feel like "more". A single KOF that could bring multiple title's styles under one roof would be worth a diminished roster, and a stronger focus on a smaller amount of unique resources.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
me and my KoF friends are making it a point to session more and stream/record while we're at it. Totally new to this streaming thing (using OBS right now) and the layout is far from complete, but here's a little clip to show where I am with it. 2002 UM is amazing but damn are some of these combos hard.

Solid set up and a sweet combo!

Anyone interested in watching some high level SamSho action should check out the SS2 World Cup tournament that went down tonight.

https://youtu.be/n8RUl0CN_4A

I think it was one of the most hype tournaments I have ever seen from start to finish. Incredible level of play all around.

Took me a couple of days but just finished watching this and thanks so much for sharing, the level of play and hype was fantastic. So many epic moments and crazy comebacks.

The game is well over 20 years old now but the gameplay and speed is still rock solid, love the pace of the matches. And those hard slashes are so damn brutal and the weapon clashes are so satisfying.

And of course the visuals, music, atmosphere etc. hold up wonderfully as well.

Official release time for KoF XIV's Patch? CHRISTMAS DAY?!? Yup, we'll surely all be playing it then! Though I wonder if Najd and Heidi will feel like They's getting a nice gift...

Can't wait to dig into the patch notes in practice mode :D

The timing is perfect with Evo Japan coming up early next year.

I'm guessing at the very least Shun'ei, Najd and Heidern are going to get hit with the nerf stick.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The balance patch is out guys, made a thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ki...0-released-full-roster-rebalance-patch.89295/

A lot of changes. Lots of deserved nerfs and lots of changes to give characters new tools and combos.

They also changed the health values for some of the cast (Athena and Mai now have more health than Angel, why?!).

Overheads have been made slower across the board.

Kula's Lay Spin has been nerfed big time and her far standing C has been nerfed too.

Oswald can now reflect fireballs without meter like in KOFXIV:

Gang-Il's instant overhead bullshit seems to be gone. He did get some buffs as well.

Xanadu, Rock, Zarina, Chang, and many others have new combo routes. Bandeiras, Kukri etc . have cool new tools in the neutral/mix up.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017

Ok, now is official we won't see Love Heart again. Just like with K9999, the upcoming artbook doesn't include her and even removes her digitally from promotional materials.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man it's hilarious how many people seem to be butthurt about many of the spammable moves being nerfed. Good riddance.

Ok, now is official we won't see Love Heart again. Just like with K9999, the upcoming artbook doesn't include her and even removes her digitally from promotional materials.

I was surprised they used her in Heroines to begin with.

Guess Muimui is less of an issue?

The movie that brought us one of the best ending themes.

Classic.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Happy WE'RE FINALLY GETTING A NEW SAMURAI SHODOWN YEAR!

… I mean... that's the important part, RIGHT? Y'know, and maybe Metal Slug too! So.. YEAH! HAPPY SNK YEAR!

Also. If any are interested, RETRO GAMER has an SNK-Focused issues that's now in US Barnes & Nobles. Comes with a Sticker sheet of SNK-ness and a mini book celebrating their 40 years. Hearing Oda talk about how he didn't like the Neo CD, and would have rather worked on PlayStation, is some fun stuff, ha. An appropriate supplement to all the research done for the SNK 40 Anni collection on Switch, which also has a bunch of tidbits on the company in it's Museum.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happy new year people!

Hopefully SNK kicks the year off with some new SamSho info.

At the very least we know there's a new trailer/footage showing Charlotte (which has only been shown to the press so far and apparently they were very impressed).

Happy WE'RE FINALLY GETTING A NEW SAMURAI SHODOWN YEAR!

… I mean... that's the important part, RIGHT? Y'know, and maybe Metal Slug too! So.. YEAH! HAPPY SNK YEAR!

Also. If any are interested, RETRO GAMER has an SNK-Focused issues that's now in US Barnes & Nobles. Comes with a Sticker sheet of SNK-ness and a mini book celebrating their 40 years. Hearing Oda talk about how he didn't like the Neo CD, and would have rather worked on PlayStation, is some fun stuff, ha. An appropriate supplement to all the research done for the SNK 40 Anni collection on Switch, which also has a bunch of tidbits on the company in it's Museum.

Some sweet pixel art from Nobuyuki Kuroki to celebrate:

And thanks for the retro gamer tip, will be on the lookout.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
When are SNK gonna show more of SamSho? :S I am curious if the PC release will be Epic Store exclusive though :V

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaah
No.

I outgrew Obari's style yonks ago and overtly sexualized Mai like in that artwork is even more off-putting.

I ignore the fanservice scenes in the motion picture and Obari's other titles.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Some sweet pixel art from Nobuyuki Kuroki to celebrate:

That was very awesome to see, by the way.

This was all a joke based off that Asuka Kazama in SNK Heroines picture. It would be pretty nice to see them work together. The otherworld vortex from XIV is the perfect excuse to have "Canon Guest Characters" like Tekken 7 had. I enjoyed Julia more in SFxT than I did in Tekken, so I wouldn't mind seeing Tekken return to 2D gameplay...

You agree with them?

XIII being 2 ranks above XIV? I dunno, that's odd to me. I definitely enjoy XIV better than XI tho. 2003 will probably always be my lowest (feels the most "Mugen" to me), but I rather enjoy the sprite work for the endings in it.

I really liked Neowave. I played that one a LOT on XBL over the original Xbox and 360 Back-Compat.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After a long time, yesterday I finally got my copy of SNK Heroines (Collector Edition)

Even though I constantly told my friend that I wanted the PS4 versión, I still got the Switch one, I was pissed off, but since I bought a Switch 2 weeks ago I just shrugged it off and move on.

First of all, the collector edition is amazing, the box is one of the most gorgeous that I had ever seen in my life, and the material of the clothing seems to be top notch (Only tried the hat, didn't want to open the shirt and the towel)

About the game, is kinda cool, I love the fanservice, although I hate how all over the place is the framerate, sometimes is 30 fps, has some dips to 45, and I could swear that one stage runs almost at 60 fps.

Also, I love the references, seems to be a game with some love behind it, although it also feels like a cash grab. Guess that I'm going to buy the PS4 digital versión in the future to have the "perfect" experience

How the hell is XII above Neowave?
Also, I'd swap XIV and 2000 around, and bump XI up to A as well.

12 at least has cool sprites, NeoWave really doesn't have anything at is favor besides the artwork from the power instinct guy.