• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
j420LAM.gif

A place to discuss everything SNK, from their current games to their masterpieces of old. Figured it would be good to have a place to gather and talk about everything from Neo Geo and games to news, instead of being scattered among smaller threads.

g0ZURZO.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those who haven't seen it already should seriously check out the KOFXIV matches from last weekend's Toushinsai Championship from Japan. Filled with Japanese killers and single elimination so it flew by fast.

A player named Azuki Neko made it to top 4 using Chang/Billy/Zarina, he went through friggin M' with that team. There was also an excellent Meitenkun player, great character variety in general.

Metal Slug for life!

Speaking of which, came across this great article discussing the first game's inspirations from various media:

Metal Slug Vs. The World (Part 1)

Draco

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for doing the Big Red god's work, BadWolf. Happy to see the old neogeo guard slowly assembling here (This is DracoBlade, btw). Maybe we could branch the title in the OP to "SNK Community and NEOGEO Appreciation Thread" though? Would love to have a one stop location to talk shop about classic NeoGeo hardware and the latest happenings with SNK without having to divert attention to different threads inevitably.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for doing the Big Red god's work, BadWolf. Happy to see the old neogeo guard slowly assembling here (This is DracoBlade, btw). Maybe we could branch the title in the OP to "SNK Community and NEOGEO Appreciation Thread" though? Would love to have a one stop location to talk shop about classic NeoGeo hardware and the latest happenings with SNK without having to divert attention to different threads inevitably.

No prob and it's great to see you here and everyone trickle in slowly.

This thread is for everything SNK, including Neo Geo (which is why I mentioned talking both about new and old games in the first post). I could try having the thread title changed if you guys like but I thought people would see the current title as inclusive to everything SNK.

Deleted member 13550

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played some Battle Coliseum again today and man its so good. Especially now that i am more experienced in fighting games. Ioris Riot of the Blood super is so badass, Ryo has a freakin Buriki super that i didnt know of where you use the stick to do punch/kick inputs... Im so ready for a sequel. I forgot how much fun it was and how much cool shit it has in it. The bosses can go to hell tho.

And i like your new avatar, BadWolf :P

colinp

Oct 27, 2017
May as well post this here since I don't think there's anywhere else for it.

I am looking to buy a replacement screen for my NGPC. Has anyone had any experience switching them out? Wondering how difficult it is. I found a YouTube video or two that look to go over it but haven't checked them out yet.

I really love my NGPC. Any other fans among the RE community?

C-Drive

Oct 26, 2017
OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SnK logo intro jingle best in gaming

Love how it's a part of their new logo. And major kudos to SNK for patching it into KOFXIV's start up post release.

I played some Battle Coliseum again today and man its so good. Especially now that i am more experienced in fighting games. Ioris Riot of the Blood super is so badass, Ryo has a freakin Buriki super that i didnt know of where you use the stick to do punch/kick inputs... Im so ready for a sequel. I forgot how much fun it was and how much cool shit it has in it. The bosses can go to hell tho.

And i like your new avatar, BadWolf :P

Dig your's too, Yuki and Ai are awesome. Glad you made it to ERA.

And yeah, won't hold my breath but it would be pretty damn awesome if the NGBC2 rumor was true. One of the two leakers put themselves on the spot by singling out PSX as the reveal event so yeah, we'll get to see if he's full of it soon.

I am looking to buy a replacement screen for my NGPC. Has anyone had any experience switching them out? Wondering how difficult it is. I found a YouTube video or two that look to go over it but haven't checked them out yet.

Always regretted not getting one back in the day. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to appreciate it properly if I got it now :/

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say its a real bummer that there is no real good way to play KOF XI or that a UM ever came out for it. It's probably my favorite of all the KOF games and the one I put the most time into. It had such a great roster, all the sub-bosses that were fleshed out and the PS2 version brought in a lot of kof mainstays via their NGBC version. I just want an entry that revisits that system.

Oyashiro-Sama

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if there is another console or portable that has the amazing good game to bad game ratio that the NGPC has.

Draco

Oct 27, 2017
No prob and it's great to see you here and everyone trickle in slowly.

This thread is for everything SNK, including Neo Geo (which is why I mentioned talking both about new and old games in the first post). I could try having the thread title changed if you guys like but I thought people would see the current title as inclusive to everything SNK.

Totally concur! I would much rather this be inclusive of all SNK/NEOGEO talks as well!

Still regularly play mine just to grind points in Last Blade (which arguably might be the most compelling Last Blade game with all of its exhaustive content and addictive RPG elements). Idk about screen replacements but I personally got mine front-lit modded by JNX (a champion among men) who used a salvaged gameboy SP screen/light. I can help you get into contact with him if you need/would like to talk shop with him about doing the same BUT, fair warning, he is a busy man and it will likely take months for him to complete your request! Totally worth it though!

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
A place to discuss everything SNK, from their current games to their masterpieces of old. Figured it would be good to have a place to gather and talk about everything from Neo Geo and games to news, instead of being scattered among smaller threads.

Do you mind people discussing the ACA Neo Geo releases from Hamster?

Art of Fighting 3 comes out on Thursday for Switch. SNK put lots of frames of animation in the movement of the characters and a little bit of motion capture (I think). Very interesting graphics on this game.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
The aca games still count since they are re releaes of neo geo games anyways

Also street fighter 3 didnt exist when aof3 released :v

colinp

Oct 27, 2017
Always regretted not getting one back in the day. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to appreciate it properly if I got it now :/

I dug mine out of my basement after not touching it for oh ten+ years and fell in love with the thing all over again. If you enjoy fighting games you'll be surprised how well the ones on the NGPC hold up. It is truly a great system.

Totally concur! I would much rather this be inclusive of all SNK/NEOGEO talks as well!

Still regularly play mine just to grind points in Last Blade (which arguably might be the most compelling Last Blade game with all of its exhaustive content and addictive RPG elements). Idk about screen replacements but I personally got mine front-lit modded by JNX (a champion among men) who used a salvaged gameboy SP screen/light. I can help you get into contact with him if you need/would like to talk shop with him about doing the same BUT, fair warning, he is a busy man and it will likely take months for him to complete your request! Totally worth it though!

Ooh a front-lit screen DOES sound cool. How much did that run you? I'm not sure I have the funds to go through with something like that right now but it's definitely something to kepe in mind for the future as really that is the platforms one issue.

Do you find the color is washed out at all from the front lighting...?

And yeah, there's something really special about NGPC Last Blade. I love that game!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
EDIT: SPEAK OF THE DEVIL!
My book arrived! My brother picked it up from the post office on the way home, but for some reason they listed the item as Suppliments or some such. weird lol.
Man this book is huge and has lots of neat stuff including
SKETCHES OF UNMASKED GRANT!
:O

Hey y'all what's good---

Goodbye y'all

--

SNK'S online shop has full poster reprints of popular boxarts like RBFF and KOF97 BUT THEY WONT SHIP HERE!!!!!!!!!! IN THE US!!!!!
Mind linking to their online shop? I wanna try shipping to Hong Kong and then to here >=3

Last edited:

colinp

Oct 27, 2017
My book arrived! My brother picked it up from the post office on the way home, but for some reason they listed the item as Suppliments or some such. weird lol.
Man this book is huge and has lots of neat stuff including
SKETCHES OF UNMASKED GRANT!
:O

Mind linking to their online shop? I wanna try shipping to Hong Kong and then to here >=3

The URL is pretty sneaky... ;)

Book looks amazing. I gotta wait till Christmas to read mine but I know it'll be worth the wait.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully that SNK store starts shipping internationally soon. It's interesting how they just opened a small shop on amazon first but then changed their minds and opened their own full on store.

Do you mind people discussing the ACA Neo Geo releases from Hamster?

Art of Fighting 3 comes out on Thursday for Switch. SNK put lots of frames of animation in the movement of the characters and a little bit of motion capture (I think). Very interesting graphics on this game.

Of course not, those are Neo Geo classics :)

AOF3 is definitely one of the better looking 2D games out there, from the backgrounds and characters to the distinct animation. The gameplay feels almost Tekken/VF like in nature. The series has always been very forward thinking and 3 isn't any different.

AOF always makes me wonder why they decided to play down Ryo's fireballing ability over the years. In AOF2 he had an air fireball (which is before Akuma made his debut) and in AOF3 he even had an OTG fireball.

I gotta say its a real bummer that there is no real good way to play KOF XI or that a UM ever came out for it. It's probably my favorite of all the KOF games and the one I put the most time into. It had such a great roster, all the sub-bosses that were fleshed out and the PS2 version brought in a lot of kof mainstays via their NGBC version. I just want an entry that revisits that system.

XI also has a lot of great characters that aren't playable elsewhere like Gai, Oswald, Momoko, Shion etc. so that makes it even more of a bummer that it isn't widely available. Maybe there is some kind of issue preventing them from porting it or making it difficult? Kind of like how there is a very low chance of an MGS4 port ever happening due to technical issues.

Damn, I forgot to pre-order again after my amazon order got canceled :/

I dug mine out of my basement after not touching it for oh ten+ years and fell in love with the thing all over again. If you enjoy fighting games you'll be surprised how well the ones on the NGPC hold up. It is truly a great system.

Good stuff man, I've seen some games here and there on YT and they really hold up. SNK was pulling some magic on the thing back then.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Bit of a silly question buuuuuuuuut
Does the PS2 ver. of KoF 2002 let you change the language to Japanese?

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully that SNK store starts shipping internationally soon. It's interesting how they just opened a small shop on amazon first but then changed their minds and opened their own full on store.

XI also has a lot of great characters that aren't playable elsewhere like Gai, Oswald, Momoko, Shion etc. so that makes it even more of a bummer that it isn't widely available. Maybe there is some kind of issue preventing them from porting it or making it difficult? Kind of like how there is a very low chance of an MGS4 port ever happening due to technical issues.

I wonder if its in some sort of Limbo due to being an Atominswave game. Either way i just want a re-release if they're not going to revisit the mechanics.

O. Marin

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
ACA HAMSTER uploaded a free theme in honor of the 1 year anniversary of the neo geo ACA series, has anyone downloaded it yet? it sucks how hard is to find themes for the ps4, both on the console and the webstore

Deleted member 13550

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man i really want Shermie to come back in the next KOF or whatever, she's such an awesome character in both design and moveset.

I can't praise SNKs characters enough. Obviously got some stinkers too but the positives outweigh the negatives here.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if its in some sort of Limbo due to being an Atominswave game. Either way i just want a re-release if they're not going to revisit the mechanics.

O. Marin

Yeah that might be it.

Man i really want Shermie to come back in the next KOF or whatever, she's such an awesome character in both design and moveset.

I can't praise SNKs characters enough. Obviously got some stinkers too but the positives outweigh the negatives here.

During an interview Oda said that back in the day they basically decided to double down on putting more effort into their characters as a response to 3D games/fighters. They couldn't compete on a technical level so they put extra love into the characters.

And it really shows, they have a crazy number of great characters.

Shermie and co are a shoe in for XV imo. They were too 'big' to put in as DLC for XIV (not to mention people expect both normal and Orochi versions). The best part about the new story arc is that they can add whoever they want from wherever and whenever. Even a character from Tekken could be made canon.

Last edited:

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad this thread exists, great initiative!

King of fighters xii is legit snk's most underrated figher

I like the idea of an attack clash system, but my mindset could never transition from the moment of the clash to coming up with a half decent sequence when that triggered that custom combo mode the game has.
Some great stages and music in there too, especially the Egyptian one.
Also, the (unfortunately) versus-only character-specific victory quotes - Ryo being an ass by mentioning he'd cut Ash's carefully painted nails was a refreshing take on a character that the writers haven't used that well in these past few years.

They should bring back Moe and Miu from the GBA games. They deserve another chance.

Didn't Moe Habana play a bit like Shingo? I never got to play as Miu to tell if she felt that distinct, but if Reiji had an interesting take on Chizuru's abilities, he could be worth it...

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see you here BadWolf, Tizoc and all the SNK fan

Good to see you here too man.

Thanks for making this!

Welcome :)

I'm glad this thread exists, great initiative!

I like the idea of an attack clash system, but my mindset could never transition from the moment of the clash to coming up with a half decent sequence when that triggered that custom combo mode the game has.
Some great stages and music in there too, especially the Egyptian one.
Also, the (unfortunately) versus-only character-specific victory quotes - Ryo being an ass by mentioning he'd cut Ash's carefully painted nails was a refreshing take on a character that the writers haven't used that well in these past few years.

Looking forward to your lore expertise :D

And yeah, XII does have some good things about it, it's unfortunate they had to release it in the state it was in.

The game overall looks pretty wonderful and has a lot of beautiful backgrounds and good stage specific music (dat Russian stage), the AOF style zoomed in camera really let's you have a good look (always wished they made it an option in XIII). They were also doing cool things with the coloring (like characters being affected by shadow/sun). The clash system I think had a lot of potential and was very interesting, People would probably have been doing cool stuff with it in time. Just like we got used to HD/Max mode shenanigans, at first people really stunk at them but eventually you had things happening like empty air HD activations into HD combos after claw Iori's command grab and anywhere juggle Neomaxes being thrown around. Iirc XII also had interesting mechanics like there being no one fireball on screen per character limitation. Even if they don't make it back into KOF, I think it would be cool to see XII's systems make it into another SNK fighter and refined upon.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New KOF World footage.

This is the first internally developed KOF MMO (mobile) at SNK.

Gotta say, it looks pretty good. A little ways into the vid you can see the model viewer and the character models look solid. I think a lot of people would prefer this look to the one in XIV. Imo Daimon here already looks better than he does in XIV on a basic level. Mai looks good too. The character animation is also pretty nice and the faces look good for a mobile game.

Looks like SNK's engine is improving nicely. Gives me more hope for their next console game.

Anyone a fan of shocktroopers?

The series is right up there with Metal Slug as some of the best arcade shooters ever imo. Top notch gameplay, music and visuals. The branching paths are a nice touch.

A lot of people seem to prefer the first to the second but personally I love them both.