• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Article: http://www.mmcafe.com/news/posts/10264.html

According to a report by Korean capital market magazine theBell [ Link ], SNK Corporation is preparing on going public with their stock via the Korean Exchange (KRX).

theBell notes that SNK [under the management of Ledo] plans on acquiring additional intellectual property rights (IP) of Japanese game companies from the funds gained through their public listing on the Stock Exchange. The company plans to work in close cooperation with Chinese social media juggernaut Tencent Inc. to make the best of their newly acquired IPs.

SNK's net profit for last year ending July 2017 was 3.1 billion yen ($29 million). theBell estimates that their net profit for this year is expected to nearly double, to approximately 5-6 billion yen ($47 - $56 million).

More at the link.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. What IPs would fit SNK that they don't already own? The only one I can think of is Shadow Hearts because of the Sacnoth connection.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Don't give a shit about the Tencent business, but I'm happy to see them doing well. I'd like to see them keep growing and do more with their current IPs, mostly from a nostalgic perspective. They were unavailable during my childhood

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Neo games on switch were a good idea right?
But I'm afraid that this will also mean, waaay more mobile phone games as opposed to console?

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this works out well, from a creative/development standpoint. I wonder if they already have a list of IP's they want to pursue?

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
They need to get all of Hudson's IPs from Konami and all of Taito's IPs from Square Enix

Also all the Technos/Data East/Irem ips from whoever is holding them hostage and doing nothing with them

Oct 27, 2017
oh god

they're going after the japanese indie industries aren't they

not sure if i support the potential this movement has

need more detalis

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Just buy Konami's gaming division

0d31b0f57f1f65b2d5d7c2154896b5a3.jpg

To capitalism!

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
If people aren't buying SNK games anyway what the hell makes you think they'll buy Konami games under the SNK banner lmfao

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Do they already own Magical Drop, or was that Data East? If not, that could be a good purchase for SNK in terms of both the console and mobile market.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
SNK turning away from Pachinko and doubling down on Console games, gets my money everyday just out of sheer respect. Even their occasional Mobile BS is alright as long as it does not kill any console franchises.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. What IPs would fit SNK that they don't already own? The only one I can think of is Shadow Hearts because of the Sacnoth connection.
Universal Entertainment Corporation (ex-Aruze) seem to be the ones who currently have the rights to the ip, but they clearly are not interested in making console games anymore so I think it would be amazing if SNK reach out to them for a deal and then get the original team on board since they certainly showed interest in making a new entry.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Data East recently open a website for those interested in working with their IPs? I remember seeing something like that here.

Shin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh it's good that the company is "booming" again, but SNK's in-house engine leaves a lot to be desired for.
At least to me, KOF is a blasphemy, perhaps I'm too attached to the now pretty much dead 2D pixel era.
25m profit isn't much I think, shouldn't they focus first and foremost on putting out more games with the IP's they own?

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
> 5-6 billion yen ($47 - $56 million).

Is it me or are those small numbers? For the influence that SNK has as such a well known publisher, it seems small. Like, this article from last year puts Konami (at a big increase) at $183m. I guess SNK is a smaller publisher than Konami was, and they haven't put out the same major releases, but still.

Also, looking at that comparison of numbers, I seriously doubt that SNK will make an offer to Konami. To the detriment of all, they're gonna flog their IP into the derivative ground for as long as they keep making yen. Making knock offs of your own stuff looks like it's not bad for the bottom line.

SNK released *A* game (KOF) and Probably shares a lot with Hamster for SNK classics on consoles. That's quite a lot honestly.

Gemeanie

Oct 27, 2017
SEA
I'm still waiting for SNK to do its inhouse IPs some justice and they already considered buying IPs???

I mean I couldn't be happier they made a comeback from Playmore era but since KOF14 in 2016 all I see were 3 KOF mobile games (2 in China & 1 in Korea soon), a KOF14 spinoff (SNK Heroines), a mobile game that solely relies on KOF crossover (Kimihiro), a so-so SamSho mobile game (beta test in China).

On the other hand KOF Destiny mobile game made by other studio and managed by Tencent was 100 times better than SNK China's internally made KOF World, so it's a good choice to work with Tencent imo

Last edited:

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
many of the games or the companies behind them probably were owned either partly or fully by tencent in one way or another......if not now then in 5 years time....

Not sure I follow. You're saying Tencent was responsible for SNKs games in the late 80s / early 90s? Tencent wasn't even founded until 1998, so really I'm rather confused as to what you meant.

I also should have been more clear in the aspect of the Tencent thing I don't care about is the online / social media aspect. Them working with a gaming powerhouse is good for exposure, I'm really just interested in the revival of some classics, though, hopefully in a single or local multiplayer context.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
> 5-6 billion yen ($47 - $56 million).

Is it me or are those small numbers? For the influence that SNK has as such a well known publisher, it seems small. Like, this article from last year puts Konami (at a big increase) at $183m. I guess SNK is a smaller publisher than Konami was, and they haven't put out the same major releases, but still.

Also, looking at that comparison of numbers, I seriously doubt that SNK will make an offer to Konami. To the detriment of all, they're gonna flog their IP into the derivative ground for as long as they keep making yen. Making knock offs of your own stuff looks like it's not bad for the bottom line.

SNK is anything but a well known Publisher, they released 1 console game after who know how many years, the actual SNK can't be compared to the Company from the 90's