• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Someone posted all the translated Naruyuki Quest/Haphazard Odissey comics in a single place: https://imgur.com/a/Hpwpl

Reading through it all in one go, looks like the whole thing takes place in a sort of dream world where Kukri managed to pull the girls - oddly fitting, being something of a Sandman...

Completely forgot about that comic. Was a neat way of teasing it.
The more I look at gun-wielding silhouette, the more i'm convinced it's Love Heart and not a Metal Slug Character (which is a shame).
maxresdefault.jpg

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
I just noticed the Spice Girls lyrics...

Also seems like a missed opportunity to have Leona dressed as a maid in the comic and not in the game (at least as her default special costume)

I think the catgirl is more than enough as far as debasement goes, but everyone seems to have at least 3 major outfits, based on Athena who has her XIV one, her new idol one, and the goddess Athena one.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I think I just want to read these comics, but I have no idea how twitter works.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait... thread is too big... PS4 only digital, except the CE, did I get this right... not even Japan?
And if so do we know how much it'll be? Thanks.

PS: pic in the OP doesn't load for me

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Wait... thread is too big... PS4 only digital, except the CE, did I get this right... not even Japan?
And if so do we know how much it'll be? Thanks.

PS: pic in the OP doesn't load for me
No non-CE physical PS4 release has been announced, so there's no price to attach to it. At this point, if you want a physical release that won't cost north of $100, it's the Switch version or nothing, pretty much.

Oct 26, 2017
No non-CE physical PS4 release has been announced, so there's no price to attach to it. At this point, if you want a physical release that won't cost north of $100, it's the Switch version or nothing, pretty much.

That implies they could announce one, which is odd as why not do so here? It sounds final going by the PR:

The Nintendo Switch™ version will be available physically and digitally. The PS4 retail version can only be purchased as a limited edition on the official SNK Online Store powered by NISA (which is currently under development) and will also be available digitally.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That implies they could announce one, which is odd as why not do so here? It sounds final going by the PR:
Yeah, it doesn't make any sense not to announce it now if there is going to be one, so I'd assume that there won't be. Which is kind of weird.

I mean, I'll be getting the Switch version if anything regardless, so this doesn't affect me, but it's really strange that the PS4 isn't getting a physical release that won't cost an arm and a leg.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it doesn't make any sense not to announce it now if there is going to be one, so I'd assume that there won't be. Which is kind of weird.

I mean, I'll be getting the Switch version if anything regardless, so this doesn't affect me, but it's really strange that the PS4 isn't getting a physical release that won't cost an arm and a leg.

My personal theory is that their PS4 lot isn't doing as well as we'd think. I'll have to fetch the posts, but Anihawk pointed out that Disgaea 5 Complete has now sold more on Switch than the original on PS4 in I think NA (I would assume he only ever refers to NA), and that Touhou Kobuto V sold "way more" on Switch than on PS4.

Bear with me until I can grab the posts, he said both of those here.

Edit: Here's the D5C comment:

yes, but it was also on sale on eshop and at retail. pushed it above the ps4 version in the west though.

He said west so I assume he included EU.

Edit 2: Found the Touhou bit. I was only wrong in that it was posted on the other forum. I won't link to it (unless requested, preferably PM, just to be safe), I'll just quote Anihawk's post:

way better than the ps4 version. this is a consistent theme so far with a lot of ps4/switch games.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
My personal theory is that their PS4 lot isn't doing as well as we'd think. I'll have to fetch the posts, but Anihawk pointed out that Disgaea 5 Complete has now sold more on Switch than the original on PS4 in I think NA (I would assume he only ever refers to NA), and that Touhou Kobuto V sold "way more" on Switch than on PS4.

Bear with me until I can grab the posts, he said both of those here.

Edit: Here's the D5C comment:

He said west so I assume he included EU.

Edit 2: Found the Touhou bit. I was only wrong in that it was posted on the other forum. I won't link to it (unless requested, preferably PM, just to be safe), I'll just quote Anihawk's post:
That's wild. Thanks!

This purely has to be a NISA thing, right? I have to imagine that if Atlus localized this like they did KOFXIV that a physical release would have happened.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
That's wild. Thanks!

This purely has to be a NISA thing, right? I have to imagine that if Atlus localized this like they did KOFXIV that a physical release would have happened.

nisa has definitely been cozying up to the switch. d5 did well and then they started delaying games to get a switch version out simultaneously (longest five minutes and tkv). although to be really fair the split is now 50/50 with regards to playstation and nintendo when it used to be something like 80/20 or 90/10 in the us. they've had a decent presence through atlus titles in europe though.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Is the limited edition worth it if I'm not uuhhhh... the target demographic? I would want a physical copy for a game like this since I'm sure the online won't last more than a few months, unfortunately.

Oct 26, 2017
yeah but not at retail

This is legit unprecedented for NISA, to actually prioritize a Nintendo version over a Sony version in this manner.

As I said in my thread, NISA is probably IMO the biggest surprise Switch supporter. This is the same company that barely lifted a finger on 3DS in Japan (only developing this odd... licensed sticker game thing featuring Disgaea characters). NISA did a bit more with Culdcept Revolt, RPG Maker Fes and Rodea (and on Wii U+Wii no less), but all of those were when they were just about to move onto Switch.

I wonder what made them change their tune so much. Maybe because they knew that far ahead that Sony would seemingly bow out of the portable market leaving only Switch as the portable game in town for NIS?

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
This is legit unprecedented for NISA, to actually prioritize a Nintendo version over a Sony version in this manner.

As I said in my thread, NISA is probably IMO the biggest surprise Switch supporter. This is the same company that barely lifted a finger on 3DS in Japan (only developing this odd... licensed sticker game thing featuring Disgaea characters). NISA did a bit more with Culdcept Revolt, RPG Maker Fes and Rodea (and on Wii U+Wii no less), but all of those were when they were just about to move onto Switch.

I wonder what made them change their tune so much. Maybe because they knew that far ahead that Sony would seemingly bow out of the portable market leaving only Switch as the portable game in town for NIS?

nisa had a really good start on the ps2 and psp. the ps3 and vita failed to catch the same fire, but they managed to establish series out in the west regardless, namely neptunia and danganronpa (atelier started on ps2 for westerners). the ps4 isn't doing it though. not on its own. and steam isn't the cure-all either. so when d5c did extremely well... it was a bit of a gamble to try and get into a marketplace that wasn't so crowded. 2018 is when we'll see if it pays off.

Oct 26, 2017
nisa had a really good start on the ps2 and psp. the ps3 and vita failed to catch the same fire, but they managed to establish series out in the west regardless, namely neptunia and danganronpa (atelier started on ps2 for westerners). the ps4 isn't doing it though. not on its own. and steam isn't the cure-all either. so when d5c did extremely well... it was a bit of a gamble to try and get into a marketplace that wasn't so crowded. 2018 is when we'll see if it pays off.

Very interesting.

Also, do you feel Mario+Rabbids encouraged folks to try out Disgaea 5 Complete? I asked on twitter and barely got any response from folks, but I'd like to think M+R introduced a lot to tactics gameplay and D5C seemingly is a nice "next step". How about as well as potentially appealing to the Fire Emblem crowd? Especially since FE is still not out yet on Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
I find it interesting that NISA setup a Snk online store for Snk games in the West. This might suggest that they intend on publishing future Snk games outside of Japan.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting.

Also, do you feel Mario+Rabbids encouraged folks to try out Disgaea 5 Complete? I asked on twitter and barely got any response from folks, but I'd like to think M+R introduced a lot to tactics gameplay and D5C seemingly is a nice "next step". How about as well as potentially appealing to the Fire Emblem crowd? Especially since FE is still not out yet on Switch.

i don't think there was much mario + rabbids crossover. the aesthetics and the systems are pretty different. i do think that with nintendo successfully bringing fire emblem to the status it is now starting with awakenings, nintendo fans are a lot more receptive to good-looking strategy rpgs.

Oct 26, 2017
i don't think there was much mario + rabbids crossover. the aesthetics and the systems are pretty different. i do think that with nintendo successfully bringing fire emblem to the status it is now starting with awakenings, nintendo fans are a lot more receptive to good-looking strategy rpgs.

Do you think D5C's success will benefit FE Switch when it releases? Can the two work off of each other like that?

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Cat Leona is closer to canon tho.

orochi-leona-kof2k2-run.gif

Yeah I hadn't considered that. Didn't even cross my mind. Now I remember how even her taunt is basically this creepy growl / meow.

Cat Leona is very fitting, Cow Mai is just wrong though, lol. >_<

Just requoting my earlier post.

Goddess Athena turns Mai into a cow in SvC Chaos.

Maiheaven.gif

For all of Mai's fans, SNK loves poking fun at her popularity.

mattneil8

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Still don't know why PS4 is digital only. It's like the reverse of Puyo Puyo Tetris.

It doesn't make sense to me either. The least they could do is make the standard edition an online exclusive. I'm concerned since it seams like they have a larger partnership with SNK going forward. I really hope this decision doesn't apply to all SNK games they put out. There is a large KoF audience on PS4 which is why this decision is very confusing to me.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Is that the new Arabian character on the cover, is that Kukri's long lost twin sister.

I don't think they will put her in this game, could be Kukri or someone using his clothes (since Kula is already using Angel's).

Nah, if you read the comic this is based on (posted a couple pages back) it's most definitely Kukri. It seems they're making him the new Miss X (hope they're still in the game)

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's hope the final boss is Miss X, and she comes back like Heihachi to kick that usurper away.
It would be interesting that an "all-girl" fighting game would finish on a Kukri vs Miss X battle.