• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California

Pretty interesting stuff. SNK are making another Neo Geo console unrelated to the Neo Geo Mini. Additionally, they have confirmed that a new Metal Slug is in the works, and that SNK Heroines has sold over 300k (!) copies.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I wouldn't mind TOO much if the new Metal Slug were to ditch the 2D style, but the mobile game IMO has been really killing it with the original spritework.

(Although to be fair there's a fair lot of asset recycling)

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Neo Geo Pocket Color 2 - time to bring back the click wheel.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't mind TOO much if the new Metal Slug were to ditch the 2D style, but the mobile game IMO has been really killing it with the original spritework.
They're limited to mostly small size sprites, though. What's really lacking in post-revival Metal Slug games were sterile digitized backdrops, compared to 100% pixel artwork found in old games. Also, I'm completely sick of recycling decades old assets, as much as I'm a huge fan of them. Better move on to 3D like their fighting games.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Okay so just to be sure, my understanding from the tweet is that they are planning more NeoGeo hardware stuff for fans/hobbyists, but not actually making something that is a competing console for the gaming market. And there is a new Metal Slug being developed for game consoles like PS4/XB1/Switch/etc. Correct? Because if SNK is making a new console with an exclusive Metal Slug game, April 1st is long over. :P

chowyunfatt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One is a larger mini, like a bartop with 10" screen and the other is a plug in to TV like a SNES mini with a stick from what I've heard.

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Okay so just to be sure, my understanding from the tweet is that they are planning more NeoGeo hardware stuff for fans/hobbyists, but not actually making something that is a competing console for the gaming market. And there is a new Metal Slug being developed for game consoles like PS4/XB1/Switch/etc. Correct? Because if SNK is making a new console with an exclusive Metal Slug game, April 1st is long over. :P

Yeah I can't exactly read the korean source, but the tweet says "consoles", so I'm assuming that means more than 1.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Will that new Metal Slug be based on The "THE 100MEGA SHOCK!", "MAX 330 MEGA PRO-GEAR SPEC" or "GIGA POWER PRO-GEAR SPEC"? Is it time we moved to "TERA POWER PRO-GEAR SPEC"?

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
Oh yes now Metal Slug gets the ugly 3D graphics treatment~

Couldn't be worse from their first attempt.

maxresdefault.jpg

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
At first I read the title and thought the new console was called the Metal Slug.

Neat news all round though!

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
Okay, so I went through the source and this is what it really says:

- "Neo Geo 2" is a different deal from Neo Geo Mini, but it does not confirm if it's a new console. Apparently the Mini was a huge hit for them.

- Two different Metal Slug games are being developed now, one for mobile platform (handled by Tencent) and the other for consoles (not mentioned but probably by SNK itself).

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I don't think they could pull it off, but I'd love to see a Metal Slug 3rd Mission. The branching in those games was fantastic.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Hopefully a 3D Metal Slug doesn't look too bad. I'm a bit worried about that.
Not sure about the point of a new NeoGeo console tbh. I guess we'll have to wait on more details for this one.

I'm not sure some people here get that 300k is a fantastic number for such a niche game, weird reactions.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New SamSho releasing in 2019, KOFXV in 2020 and a new Metal Slug possibly in 2020/2021. Finally starting to feel like SNK is actually back.

After SamSho I'm a lot less worried about how Metal Slug will look. They will have SamSho and KOFXV under their belts by the time the MS releases so a lot more experience with UE4 and in general. It will very likely be 2.5D instead of full 3D (and rightfully so).

They also have a bunch of people right now at SNK who worked on the old Metal Slugs (pre-bankruptcy).

As for Heroines, did not expect such high sales numbers.

Considering its budget it's probably a huge success for them.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I could go for a larger version of the Neo Geo Mini, with a better variety of games, larger screen, better built-in controls.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it now time to admit that the slide from the last Korean event was detailing new games and not "franchise presence" with ACA games?

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Surprised SNK Heroines even sold that much...

What a terrible, terrible fighting game, wtf were they even thinking?...

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Looking good is one thing, how you translate the Metal Slug gameplay to 3d is a whole different issue. Look at all the attempts Konami had with Contra... ugh.
They can be 3D and still play just like the 2D games, also PS2 Contra games were awesome and at least one of them was pretty faithful to OG Contra!

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why people are bringing up Metal Slug 3D.

That game was made 13 years ago and little to no one from the classic Metal Slug team was involved in its development iirc.

For the most part SNK pretty much acts like the game doesn't exist.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
A new Metal Slug in 2D, keeping the animation quality but in HD - that's not going to happen. Let's just hope they try to mimic the style with 3D.

That said, I'd be down with a low res Metal Slug sequel if it's still 2D, but I doubt SNK would be interested.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
i expect a new Metal slug to follow the same concepts their recent fighting games do... cell shaded looks with 2d Gameplay. Which is fine.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if the new Metal Slug will involve characters and plot points from Metal Slug Attack - I like what they did with the Ptolemaic Army there, but it's hard to imagine a character like Yoshino in more traditional run-and-gun gameplay.

Also, I'm glad the gameplay experiments with SNKH paid off. Still waiting on Goeniko though.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some additional news
http://gamefocus.co.kr/detail.php?number=92897

Translation comes from Sino, they can't post right now because they are on a self requested ban to avoid Avengers spoilers.

New console Metal Slug in 2020
Trying to release 2 games a year starting in 2020 with KOFXV and Metal Slug
Samurai Shodown pre-order numbers are beyond expectations.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some additional news
http://gamefocus.co.kr/detail.php?number=92897

Translation comes from Sino, they can't post right now because they are on a self requested ban to avoid Avengers spoilers.

New console Metal Slug in 2020
Trying to release 2 games a year starting in 2020 with KOFXV and Metal Slug
Samurai Shodown pre-order numbers are beyond expectations.

Damn, excellent news all around.

KOFXV+Metal Slug in 2020 and two games per year moving forward, oh boy.