• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

moriquendi

Oct 27, 2017
How is it that this has already been handled in the thread repeatedly, this and all the other "maybe it wasn't" and "but what if" variations and people are still showing up like PERHAPS IT WAS INNOCENT AND NOT INTENTIONALLY RACIST

My take, for what it's worth, is that it is very easy to want to have a conversation about the history, possible 'innocent use' etc of words or phrases when you're not being harmed by their continued use. Privileged people have the benefit of it being an intellectual exercise.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
"You're one of the good ones" is a completely fine phrase to use on its own, in a proper context.

That tweet was all bad, especially considering how there are very few people of color in Peanuts. Many racists use the phrase to specify that an individual they like is different from the demographic they're a part of, the implication being that said demographic is bad inherently. The Snoopy account was right to delete the tweet.

Just be mindful of your words, and you won't get into trouble with the phrase.

Aug 21, 2019
I don't think that's really fair tbh, but whatever. As I've said above we should probably just put the idiom to bed given it's racist connotations, but growing up with phrases without knowing they're offensive or racist is a genuine thing. Phrases like "peanut gallery", "rule of thumb", "sold down the river", "gypped", etc. are all bad and people still use them since they grew up with them without realizing. I don't think people are defending their racist connotations, but I do think people can say these things without realizing because they've heard them all their lives.

edit- also eenie meenie miney mo, which people still use to this day.

Just wondering , but whats wrong with "rule of thumb"? or "eenie meeny miny mo"?

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
My take, for what it's worth, is that it is very easy to want to have a conversation about the history, possible 'innocent use' etc of words or phrases when you're not being harmed by their continued use. Privileged people have the benefit of it being an intellectual exercise.
Oh, I think I misread (like I skipped a word or two) after all the other sudden appearances of BUT WHAT ABOUTS that were popping up after that had already been dealt with. My apologies.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
giphy.gif

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Just wondering , but whats wrong with "rule of thumb"? or "eenie meeny miny mo"?
Nothing is wrong with the phrase rule of thumb. There's an old wives tale that it was derived by some old law that said a man could hit his wife, so long as the stick wasn't wider than his thumb. That's not true, and has been debunked many times by how long the phrase has been in use

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Peppermint Patty has had a crush on Charlie Brown for as long as I can remember.

The Peanuts gang have never been anything else but wholesome fun for the last 50 years or so, if anyone gets a pass on making a unfortunate comment it will be them. (Maybe im wrong and someone can point out something else)
???
saying this in response to my post implies something about you and what is wholesome

MarkN

Oct 13, 2018
Eenie meeny miny mo used to be a very racist song taught to kids. My mother told me once very embarrased that when she was a kid the lyrics weren't "catch a tiger by the tow" it was exactly what your first horrified thought is. Now as a child they didnt have any idea this was racist, it was just one of the ways to "subtly" indoctrinate kids into the idea that black people were "other"

Aug 21, 2019
Eenie meeny miny mo used to be a very racist song taught to kids. My mother told me once very embarrased that when she was a kid the lyrics weren't "catch a tiger by the tow" it was exactly what your first horrified thought is. Now as a child they didnt have any idea this was racist, it was just one of the ways to "subtly" indoctrinate kids into the idea that black people were "other"

oh, damn. Thanks again for helping me know

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how no one caught this unless Peanuts has a bot that creates an image and posts without any checks, or whoever handles the account is 80+ years old.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Holy shit, I had no idea. That's really fucked up.
As a non-english speaker, I'm learning a lot going through these pages, and no offense to people who are defending the "good intentions" of the tweet, but even I knew that using "you're one of the good ones" in that context is just bad. It's like they purposely chose the worst expression they could use.

Btw, I've seen a few pages before someone posting a comic strip where Franklin says the neighbourhood has him "shook".
Can anyone explain to me the racial implications of that word? I see it everyday on twitter, reddit, etc... It sounds like something all the "hip" teens say these days, so, I would appreciate some clarification.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Used to work for a college newspaper, a designer thought it'd be fine to place the crime blotter right next to the black history month events calendar.

Although considering that white designer was incredibly bigoted and incredibly conservative I doubt it was just a "coincidence".