• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Happy Black History Month

2O4UKce.png
I was almost on the floor seeing this
Damn

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Did I argue that at all? I'm saying a person saying this isn't racist by default. I've also argued it's probably best to retire the phrase given the connotations. But to say you're "showing your ass" by saying it is unfair when people genuinely say this without knowing.

And again please read my posts. I have not once argued in defense of the tweet. I'm arguing the notion in this thread that the phrase "couldn't possibly be referring to humans" and that phrasing like that is unnatural or unheard of. It's a very common idiom so yes it does refer to humans. For a lot of people who use it, it literally means "you're one of the good people in a world of mostly bad people"
phrase said to everyone according to you
if it's said to someone not white there's a 90% chance it's racist in meaning
and to the non-white person they'll assume it was racist 99% of the time

yay

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
you're so well spoken

/s

I don't really know if this is supposed to be a shot at me or why you would attack me, but I think this is a pretty good example. I'm white, I've heard "you're very well spoken" plenty of times in my life. When somebody talks about Obama, however and says "he's so articulate/well spoken" I often give that person the side eye. It's another example of phrases people use without realizing any sort of racist connotations, and I don't think that makes the person ignorant or racist, it's just something in their vocabulary.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I'm just going to reply to this, then I'm out: "Holy shit, I had no idea" when saying something racist? OK. It's still racist.

I'm outty.

I'm not arguing if it's racist or not! I'm arguing that a person can say these things without realizing there is anything racist about it. I'm willing to bet you use plenty of offensive terms currently or have in the past. Did you never say eenie meenie miney mo as a kid? Have you never used the word lame? Point being, it's easy to understand why these things slip through the cracks.

phrase said to everyone according to you
if it's said to someone not white there's a 90% chance it's racist in meaning
and to the non-white person they'll assume it was racist 99% of the time

yay

again I have to imagine you're not reading my posts... I'm not arguing against that at all. I'm saying people who use it in their everyday to people to literally mean "you're one of the good people" are likely saying this without realizing that it has racial connotations. As I've pointed out over and over, just like the word "lame" or "rule of thumb" people say these things without realizing. You have people in this very thread confused about "peanut gallery". If you make a thread right now of phrases we should examine/retire, I guarantee a ton of people would be genuinely shocked, and most people would be more than willing to understand and work to remove these phrases from their vocab.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wow. I take back my anecdotal evidence, don't want to pointing out how it's sometimes used to get me roped in with someone who's now caping for spoken well. WTF. Give it a break man.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Wow. I take back my anecdotal evidence, don't want to pointing out how it's sometimes used to get me roped in with someone who's now caping for spoken well. WTF. Give it a break man.

me? I'm not caping for well spoken! I just said it gets the side eye from me! I'm saying people use the phrase "well spoken" in their everyday without realizing its racial connotations, I've been told in several job interviews that "well spoken" was a strength of mine. The word "gypped" pops up in old kids cartoons and sitcoms. We have a user on the forum with the username "silly eskimo". The word "lame" is huge in kids shows. I'm saying there are phrases we should retire. Things like well spoken or one of the good ones should be retired and we should try to explain to people why if we hear people say that.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that'll be a YIKES from me. I feel like someone had to realize this before it was posted. There's no way that someone wouldn't have pointed that out.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lol. It's seriously the same thing though.
Pointing out that in one specific region that phrase is used with no connection to racial identity even though I don't use it since it mostly is is the same as defending both one of the good ones and well spoken as just normal phrases that can be used as racist but are not? Really?

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
My adoptive, white SA, pro apartheid grandfather used to say this to me too. He also called me his "wee cup of coffee with cream."

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Pointing out that in one specific region that phrase is used with no connection to racial identity even though I don't use it since it mostly is is the same as defending both one of the good ones and well spoken as just normal phrases that can be used as racist but are not? Really?

It's the same thing in that people say racist or offensive things without ever realizing they're racist or offensive. That doesn't mean we shouldnt educate ourselves and others and explain their connotations. People genuinely say offensive things without realizing. As i've pointed out probably 5 times in the thread eenie meenie miney mo has horribly racist origins, but it was an absurdly popular rhyme when I was in kindergarten. It's in a ton of media/pop culture as well. Hell there was a song by Sean Kingston and Justin Bieber just 10 years ago or so called eenie meenie miney mo.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
me? I'm not caping for well spoken! I just said it gets the side eye from me! I'm saying people use the phrase "well spoken" in their everyday without realizing its racial connotations, I've been told in several job interviews that "well spoken" was a strength of mine. The word "gypped" pops up in old kids cartoons and sitcoms. We have a user on the forum with the username "silly eskimo". The word "lame" is huge in kids shows. I'm saying there are phrases we should retire. Things like well spoken or one of the good ones should be retired and we should try to explain to people why if we hear people say that.
I'm pretty sure Silly Eskimo has Inuit ancestry, or are we going to tell black posters they cannot use the N word now too?

Only bring it up since this is the second time I have seen someone attack his username recently.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm saying "one of the good ones" and "you're so well spoken" are functionally identical in their usage.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017

One of the good ones

"One of the good ones" is a phrase that encapsulates the idea of comparing an individual favorably to the other people in their demographic, with said demographic being based on gender, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion etc. Depending on whether this phrase (or a...

Unless you mean like "How could they be so dumb to post this on twitter. I don't get it." Which I 100% agree with.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the same thing in that people say racist or offensive things without ever realizing they're racist or offensive. That doesn't mean we shouldnt educate ourselves and others and explain their connotations. People genuinely say offensive things without realizing. As i've pointed out probably 5 times in the thread eenie meenie miney mo has horribly racist origins, but it was an absurdly popular rhyme when I was in kindergarten. It's in a ton of media/pop culture as well. Hell there was a song by Sean Kingston and Justin Bieber just 10 years ago or so called eenie meenie miney mo.
Not knowing eenie meenie is racist is very different than being racist towards someone by saying they are well spoken or one of the good ones. One is used without knowledge of racism, the other is used in a racist manner even if that person is too oblivious to know it's racist. They aren't the same at all.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I'm pretty sure Silly Eskimo has Inuit ancestry, or are we going to tell black posters they cannot use the N word now too?

Only bring it up since this is the second time I have seen someone attack his username recently.

No I'm not saying that, I wasn't aware of their ancestry so I apologize, but I hear people use the word eskimo all the time still and I often try to encourage them to use the word inuit instead. It's much like people still using "indian" without realizing as well. That doesn't mean it's not racist, I'm saying people say these things without trying to be racist. I feel like you're purposefully being obtuse here.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
And again please read my posts. I have not once argued in defense of the tweet. I'm arguing the notion in this thread that the phrase "couldn't possibly be referring to humans" and that phrasing like that is unnatural or unheard of. It's a very common idiom so yes it does refer to humans. For a lot of people who use it, it literally means "you're one of the good people in a world of mostly bad people"

I've read your posts. I know you're not defending the tweet. What you are doing, whether you realize it or not, is defending the logic that lays the groundwork for defending the tweet.

Everyone should be capable of understanding that sometimes people don't know the origins or intending meaning of certain words and phrases. That doesn't need to be reiterated. And if people see this and realize that they were previously unaware, then hey, now they know going forward. They do not need to proclaim the innocence of the phrase.

To understand the real meaning of the phrase, contextualize it with a full statement rather than the shortened version. "Most Women are _____ but you're one of the good ones." "I've always felt Architects are _____ but you're one of the good ones." "Vegans have always struck me as ______ but you're one of the good ones." The phrase has always been rooted in condescension because it's sourced in gross generalization.

Look I am not defending it, I don't use the term because of the racist connotations. But don't dump me in with the south, I am talking about NE and white people say it white people here all the fucking time, it has nothing to do with the racist stuff, which is also real hence again why I personally would never use it. I wasn't defending the tweet or defending using it. I was backing the albatross before he got piled on because I live in the same county as him and in New England it is used by white people to other whites to mean "your not a complete shit bag."

So no it doesn't always have a racist genesis, though I still think the phrase should be retired because of how it's been applied and is racist towards black Americans.

Didn't say you were defending it. What I did in that post was reply to people who thought the phrase was innocent or positive to point out that it isn't innocent and isn't positive. As well as pointing out that it's been used in a racist manner for quite some time.

Didn't "dump" you in with the South (and being in or from the South isn't an inherently bad thing either). I mentioned the South specifically because I was using the example of "Bless your heart" as a regional phrase. The region of the US really doesn't play a role in the intent of people using whatever words or phrases. And even having good intent doesn't nullify condescension. Many, many times phrases like "one of the good ones" and "so well spoken" are said by people that legitimately trying to compliment another person and that's part of what makes it all the more insulting.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Not knowing eenie meenie is racist is very different than being racist towards someone but saying they are well spoken or one of the good ones. One is used without knowledge of racism, the other is used in a racist manner even if that person is too oblivious to know it's racist. They aren't the same at all.

I can get behind that sure, but I think idioms like this can be just everyday vernacular without realizing. I guess a better example would be using the word lame. There's nothing hidden about why that's offensive at all, but people still use it without thinking. I'd also throw it in there how people just naturally say "god bless you" after a sneeze. When I really think about that it's fuckin strange to me, but it's just something I've always heard.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If I'm completely honest, it took me a minute to get it, there's no rampant racism where I live though.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No, I'm saying "one of the good ones" and "you're so well spoken" are functionally identical in their usage.
And I don't disagree. I never said they were not racist. I was only backing up the Albatross that in this region it's used that way in a non-racist way though I don't use it because of the racism connected to the phrase. I don't use it and I wasn't defending it I was saying it happens. I would never have said a word if it hadn't been brought up and I have not once defended it, but somehow I am being lumped in with that way.

So again how is observing it happen and noticing it while also (as every one of my post including the first pointed out) not using it because of its racist connotations get me lumped in with people either defending it or saying it isn't racist?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I've read your posts. I know you're not defending the tweet. What you are doing, whether you realize it or not, is defending the logic that lays the groundwork for defending the tweet.

Everyone should be capable of understanding that sometimes people don't know the origins or intending meaning of certain words and phrases. That doesn't need to be reiterated. And if people see this and realize that they were previously unaware, then hey, now they know going forward. They do not need to proclaim the innocence of the phrase.

To understand the real meaning of the phrase, contextualize it with a full statement rather than the shortened version. "Most Women are _____ but you're one of the good ones." "I've always felt Architects are _____ but you're one of the good ones." "Vegans have always struck me as ______ but you're one of the good ones." The phrase has always been rooted in condescension because it's sourced in gross generalization.

Didn't say you were defending it. What I did in that post was reply to people who thought the phrase was innocent or positive to point out that it isn't innocent and isn't positive. As well as pointing out that it's been used in a racist manner for quite some time.

Didn't "dump" you in with the South (and being in or from the South isn't an inherently bad thing either). I mentioned the South specifically because I was using the example of "Bless your heart" as a regional phrase. The region of the US really doesn't play a role in the intent of people using whatever words or phrases. And even having good intent doesn't nullify condescension. Many, many times phrases like "one of the good ones" and "so well spoken" are said by people that legitimately trying to compliment another person and that's part of what makes it all the more insulting.

I totally agree with you and I 100% get that, but I disagree that I'm defending the logic. I think that logic actually plays and you see good people on this forum using offensive terms all the time without realizing. It doesn't make the term okay, but I do think people can say it without realizing and when told they will be embarrassed. Like I said I've erased lame from my vocab when it comes to describing something, I've never used phrases like "one of the good ones" or "well spoken", but I'm only pointing out that these things can come across completely benign to most people, and there are plenty of people who still say this shit completely benign as part of their vernacular, NOTE- THIS DOESN"T MEAN ITS NOT RACIST. I don't think freaking out on them as another poster said they do is really the right reaction. I think most decent people will hear the explanation and say "oh wow I will make sure to fix that", but of course you have the "FUCK YOU SNOWFLAKE" crowd as well.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
went back 3 months on the account, the only time Franklin isn't just a background character is this and MLK day. Makes you think

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I read this as Snoop Dog did the tweet, so I literally was stumped for a couple of seconds lol

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
Yeah, that'll be a YIKES from me. I feel like someone had to realize this before it was posted. There's no way that someone wouldn't have pointed that out.
It's always easy to say someone had to know it and point it out right in that moment when it was checked.
That's not how it works in real life. You cannot be aware of everything that is going on all the time. That's an unfair expectation to have and not feasible.
Calling people idiots (not you, but others have in the thread) who should have known better or should educate themselves is not really helpful.

Apparently that is not the case if people are called idiots who are unaware of the connotations.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanna say I'm surprised this thread turned into nonblack people telling other people what's racist towards black people

but

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's always easy to say someone had to know it and point it out right in that moment when it was checked.
That's not how it works in real life. You cannot be aware of everything that is going on all the time. That's an unfair expectation to have and not feasible.
Calling people idiots (not you, but others have in the thread) who should have known better or should educate themselves is not really helpful.

Apparently that is not the case if people are called idiots who are unaware of the connotations.
Well....most people are not working on promoting a historic multinational brand. This isn't some random off the street, PR at minimum should be about not being racist. It's like being called crazy for expecting a resturant not to give you food poisoning. Food safety is kinda bult into the job

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I totally agree with you and I 100% get that, but I disagree that I'm defending the logic. I think that logic actually plays and you see good people on this forum using offensive terms all the time without realizing. It doesn't make the term okay, but I do think people can say it without realizing and when told they will be embarrassed. Like I said I've erased lame from my vocab when it comes to describing something, I've never used phrases like "one of the good ones" or "well spoken", but I'm only pointing out that these things can come across completely benign to most people, and there are plenty of people who still say this shit completely benign as part of their vernacular, NOTE- THIS DOESN"T MEAN ITS NOT RACIST. I don't think freaking out on them as another poster is really the right reaction. I think most decent people will hear the explanation and say "oh wow I will make sure to fix that", but of course you have the "FUCK YOU SNOWFLAKE" crowd as well.

I actually didn't see anyone being excessive in response to others in the thread until after the back and forth about the phrase between various people had happened a few times.

I'm the only person in the thread who has used the word "idiot" at all and I did not use it towards anyone in the thread. If you felt that I was, then you were mistaken in your interpretation. I made a comparison to phrase that sounds positive but has a negative meaning.

Edit: Actually, going back over the thread, I'm not the only person who has used that word. So I'm the mistaken one.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
"One of the good ones" I thought was pretty well-known, but I didn't know that shit about peanut gallery, and I'm black.

I looked it up and came across this article, and goddam, American English is racist!

I still can't give anyone the benefit of the doubt who uses "one of the good ones" because I just do not have any more trust that people who do this sort of thing are fundamentally good people who just make mistakes.

But also, I acknowledge that our culture's use of originally-racist idioms runs deep. "Peanut gallery" is one of those ones that might have evolved in usage so much that the formerly-racist intent behind its use is legitimately lost to the vast majority of speakers.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"One of the good ones" I thought was pretty well-known, but I didn't know that shit about peanut gallery, and I'm black.

I looked it up and came across this article, and goddam, American English is racist!

I still can't give anyone the benefit of the doubt who uses "one of the good ones" because I just do not have any more trust that people who do this sort of thing are fundamentally good people who just make mistakes.

But also, I acknowledge that our culture's use of originally-racist idioms runs deep. "Peanut gallery" is one of those ones that might have evolved in usage so much that the formerly-racist intent behind its use is legitimately lost to the vast majority of speakers.
I think (sadly) the biggest takeaway is it's just one more fucked up example of how racist America is from it's founding right until now all up in its DNA. It's at the point of legitimate, if it's American it's probably inherently racist in some form or another.