gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
I put a ton of time into My Time at Sandrock, it's a lot of fun.

I played the hell out of Coral Island on game pass and while I enjoyed what was there, the game isn't finished. Placeholder dialog, missing costumes, buggy quests. A little of this is due to the game pass version being very slow with updates, but the Steam version is only slightly less buggy—it still is clearly unfinished.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It might be better now. When I played it on Switch, it literally felt like the game would crash every single time you went in and out of a building, the forest, etc. It never did, which was nice.

On PC, it was just surprising how it ran so poorly despite being on a high end machine. It may be better now. And if so, it's a perfectly OK game. But it feels like they took a bunch of steps back with the transition to full 3D.

It's not as good as Stardew if you want a more farming focused, slice of life experience. But if you want "more", I think it's maybe better.
I was likely going to pick up Rune Factory 3 and 4 while on sale and was just trying to decide whether to get 5 at the same time or not, I think I'll probably hold off for now.

On another note, this thread brought Sun Haven to my attention and it looks right up my alley so I'll definitely be grabbing it.

Oct 28, 2017
Any recommendations for something that meets the following criteria?:

-no combat
-extremely generous daily time schedules
-no pixel art

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I've been wanting to try Stardew Valley for awhile but have been hesitant because I hear the days are never long enough to accomplish what you want to get done daily, even on it's slowest setting. That was the reason I stopped playing The Sims because the days went too fast for what I wanted to do.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to try Stardew Valley for awhile but have been hesitant because I hear the days are never long enough to accomplish what you want to get done daily, even on it's slowest setting. That was the reason I stopped playing The Sims because the days went too fast for what I wanted to do.

If you're on PC, you can use mods to slow down time and stamina, or just straight up freeze them. But it's not really a big deal, it's part of the gameplay loop, the more you accomplish, the easier/faster it is gonna be to keep up with everything. And the days are infinite, so it doesn't matter much if you couldn't do everything in a day that you wanted, there's always tomorrow.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
If you're on PC, you can use mods to slow down time and stamina, or just straight up freeze them. But it's not really a big deal, it's part of the gameplay loop, the more you accomplish, the easier/faster it is gonna be to keep up with everything. And the days are infinite, so it doesn't matter much if you couldn't do everything in a day that you wanted, there's always tomorrow.

Well, I was more referring to the daily accomplishments. Like making sure all your planting, watering, harvesting is done. Setting the items to sell (I assume you do that, as well). And doing your daily activities of going into town and speaking to NPCs, fishing, etc. I just know with these games there are certain things that is best to accomplish daily. And when all that is done, I want to have a good amount of time to do other things, as well.

But I will try Stardew Valley eventually. There are too many that recommend it and I really do the love the farming/crafting genre. Big fan of My Time at Portia.

Is it best to play Stardew Valley on PC or console? Besides using the factor of using mods? Some games just play better via PC as they were developed that way originally, so not sure if Stardew Valley is like that. Also, the console releases can sometimes have issues with bugs, like with the My Time games.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for something that meets the following criteria?:

-no combat
-extremely generous daily time schedules
-no pixel art

Farming Simulator 22 covers all these bases.

You can adjust time on the fly from 250x all the way down to 1x realtime. You can also skip night by entering your house (though farming in the middle of the night with multidirectional floodlights on your tractor is baller af).

You can also adjust season length.

Sir Lucan

Dec 19, 2023
Is it best to play Stardew Valley on PC or console? Besides using the factor of using mods? Some games just play better via PC as they were developed that way originally, so not sure if Stardew Valley is like that. Also, the console releases can sometimes have issues with bugs, like with the My Time games.
PC is the best platform. Unless I'm wrong the PC version is the only one updated to the 1.6 update of the game right now, which added a ton of stuff. You can always play with a controller on PC if that's more comfortable for you.

I actually started SDV on Steam Deck recently and the fact you can install mods on it as well makes it even better. Since I'm not the biggest fan of the vanilla look, I installed a few mods that really make a huge difference and I'm having a blast.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I was more referring to the daily accomplishments. Like making sure all your planting, watering, harvesting is done. Setting the items to sell (I assume you do that, as well). And doing your daily activities of going into town and speaking to NPCs, fishing, etc. I just know with these games there are certain things that is best to accomplish daily. And when all that is done, I want to have a good amount of time to do other things, as well.

But I will try Stardew Valley eventually. There are too many that recommend it and I really do the love the farming/crafting genre. Big fan of My Time at Portia.

If you're a big fan of Portia, you should definitely try My Time at Sandrock. It's better in every way. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Farm Together is just an overall chill game.. and as it suggests you can visit other peoples massive farms and help them do whatever they need which also levels up your farm. I think a second game will be out soon.
Yeah, I got hooked on this game for weeks. Can't wait for the sequel.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
PC is the best platform. Unless I'm wrong the PC version is the only one updated to the 1.6 update of the game right now, which added a ton of stuff. You can always play with a controller on PC if that's more comfortable for you.

I actually started SDV on Steam Deck recently and the fact you can install mods on it as well makes it even better. Since I'm not the biggest fan of the vanilla look, I installed a few mods that really make a huge difference and I'm having a blast.

what mods did you pick?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
what mods did you pick?

This is a very deep rabbit hole.

There are mods that add entire new towns, new marriage candidates, new fish, new crops, better inventory management, new mini games, new dungeons, new gear, new cosmetics...I think I've got 40+ mods installed right now.

Ultimately, it's a matter of saying, "I wish <thing> was available." And it's almost definitely available.

Sir Lucan

Dec 19, 2023
what mods did you pick?
mono's Portraits (CP) 1.6 - There are a lot of portrait mods out there, but I feel like they change the style of the game too much for my taste. This one fits the original style really well but makes them a lot better.
Vibrant Pastoral Recolor - The original style is too harsh IMO, too much yellow. There's a bunch of recolor mods that are all really nice. I picked this one mainly because you can choose to have the autumn season have green grass instead of brown/orange (which would be the default). It hasn't been updated for 1.6 yet, so it needs this other mod as well to work.
VPR-Inspired UI - Same concept but for the UI, less yellow.
Simple Foliage - Unofficial Update for 1.6 - Original mod link here (still being updated for 1.6). For nicer looking trees and bushes.
Way Back Pelican Town and Medieval buildings - For buildings and structures.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017

You're gonna want to do all those activities everyday at the beginning, but you'll quickly realize that not only, you don't have enough time in a day to do them all, but more importantly that it doesn't matter. Taking care of your farm will become easier and faster with time, experience and upgrades, you'll be thankful for rainy days and choose those days to go mining, fishing or whatever, and as long as you remember the villagers' birthdays, it's ok not to speak to them every day.

Both your farm and the way you plan your days will be very different by the time you reach the end of the first year than they were in your first weeks in the game, and that's what makes the game very gratifying.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Rune Factory 3, Rune Factory 4, and Stardew Valley are the best right now. My Time at Sandrock is really good as well. Story of Seasons Wonderful Life and Friends of Mineral Town remakes are old-school, but have the classic charm of SoS/Harvest Moon games.

OP
OP
SixtyTwoMike

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
It's going to sound daft but I kind of don't want to start with Stardew. It sounds like it'll ruin everything else 🤣

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rune Factory 4 is the best farming sim of all time and it's not particularly close.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever your choice, I can guarantee you Harvestella has the best soundtrack out of them all.

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
Stardew Valley has been the only game that has brought back (and surpassed) that feeling of wonder and joy I felt when I first played Harvest Moon on the SNES. Its content is vast and the vibe is wholesome and calm. I think the combat and aesthetic are the weakest points, I use mods to adjust the artstyle.

I could never get into Rune Factory despite liking the premise. I'm curious about Harvstella and Coral Island... My time at Portia is rotting in my backlog lol, wish I had more free time and hours in a day.

Oct 25, 2017
I played the hell out of Coral Island on game pass and while I enjoyed what was there, the game isn't finished. Placeholder dialog, missing costumes, buggy quests. A little of this is due to the game pass version being very slow with updates, but the Steam version is only slightly less buggy—it still is clearly unfinished.
Confession time: I'm excited as hell for Coral Island but I don't plan on buying it ever. Since it's published by Humble Games, I'm expecting it to show up in Humble Choice or some other good bundle and would rather not pay list for it when I'll probably get it that way.

I wonder if that expectation affects other Humble Games games' sales...

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a good game that gives you that RPG reward feeling for buying/growing/selling corps? I always enjoy in games that have a small farming aspect where you plant seeds and then wait for it to give you some reward (Pokemon/Zelda etc).

But Animal Crossing GC wasn't my jam. Harvest Moon on the GBA wasn't either. Can't really describe it.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Is there a good game that gives you that RPG reward feeling for buying/growing/selling corps? I always enjoy in games that have a small farming aspect where you plant seeds and then wait for it to give you some reward (Pokemon/Zelda etc).

But Animal Crossing GC wasn't my jam. Harvest Moon on the GBA wasn't either. Can't really describe it.

Completing the community center bundles in Stardew Valley is exactly this. This is the reward based progression that makes Stardew the GOAT

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017

Unless I misinterpret your question, that's basically what farming sim are about. You buy different seeds every seasons, grow them and either sell the result or transform it into something more valuable. Or are you thinking about a different kind of reward?

Oct 28, 2017
Completing the community center bundles in Stardew Valley is exactly this. This is the reward based progression that makes Stardew the GOAT

Have to look into it. Thanks.

Unless I misinterpret your question, that's basically what farming sim are about. You buy different seeds every seasons, grow them and either sell the result or transform it into something more valuable. Or are you thinking about a different kind of reward?

I'm having trouble putting my finger on it. Maybe I just don't jive with the genre as a whole.

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It's fine. But the performance was rough when I last played it.

It's arguably less intense from a mechanical standpoint. So if you went to tinker with the formula and not worry about ruining the series for yourself, it's a decent game.
Looks like 3 and 4 are both on sale. Which one would you choose if you are experienced in farming sims? I've played nearly everything mentioned in this thread other than the rune factory games. 3 seems like it has better characters but 4 looks like it has more content so its hard to choose.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's going to sound daft but I kind of don't want to start with Stardew. It sounds like it'll ruin everything else 🤣
Stardew will give you tons of hours of enjoyable playtime, whereas it's entirely possible you'll burn out on farming games before ever getting to it if you put it off. I understand where you're coming from, but I'm not sure I'd agree with the sentiment.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like 3 and 4 are both on sale. Which one would you choose if you are experienced in farming sims? I've played nearly everything mentioned in this thread other than the rune factory games. 3 seems like it has better characters but 4 looks like it has more content so its hard to choose.

Simple answer is that I'd probably say 4S is better than 3S simply because of the QoL changes.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017

The most recent update is reason alone for me to go PC. I don't need to go with controller, especially if it is designed well to use a mouse already.

Mods aren't important to me. I know I am not the norm in regards to that, but I usually just go with what the official game offers. I don't like to deal with mods so I just stay with what is with the vanilla game.

If you're a big fan of Portia, you should definitely try My Time at Sandrock. It's better in every way. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Oh yes, I definitely plan on playing My Time at Sandrock, as well. I just need to finish Portia first. :)

You're gonna want to do all those activities everyday at the beginning, but you'll quickly realize that not only, you don't have enough time in a day to do them all, but more importantly that it doesn't matter. Taking care of your farm will become easier and faster with time, experience and upgrades, you'll be thankful for rainy days and choose those days to go mining, fishing or whatever, and as long as you remember the villagers' birthdays, it's ok not to speak to them every day.

Both your farm and the way you plan your days will be very different by the time you reach the end of the first year than they were in your first weeks in the game, and that's what makes the game very gratifying.

Thanks for this post, this helps a lot. As long as it becomes more manageable later on and I still don't find myself running out of time to accomplish the standard tasks I would like to get done, I am fine with that. I don't need to talk to everyone every day. I also just don't want to get to the end of the day, even in just taking care of the farm every day, and find I don't have any time for mining or other activities.

I do plan to play SDV eventually. But I'm kind of like the OP, I don't want to jump right to this game and find out nothing else measures up to it. I've always been of the mindset is I like to play less quality first and save best for last.

I want to also play Coral Island, which I hear is almost as good as SDV.

BDrummer1606

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite is Coral Island. It's basically Stardew Valley but with better graphics, a South-East Asian vibe and with environmental themes (cleaning the ocean, planting trees and restoring the environment in general). The character designs are great too.

This. Coral Island was a huge surprise for me and it's still getting new content all the time. Such great game