• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I was wondering, since the original Medievil is an unlockable bonus in the Medievil remake and it's exactly what you'd expect, the original emulated game...why Sony won't add the emulator to the PS4 in order to play PS1 Classics on the console? I mean, the emulator exists and it's a way for Sony to do some easy money.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Sony wants you to buy the PS Classic, that's why they're flying off the shelves!

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I wondered the very same thing.

Wouldn't be unheard of, they made a PS2 emulator for PS4 but for some reason pretty much entirely stopped releasing games for it.

There are also a bunch of PSP to PS4 ports that are at least partially emulation based.

Edit: is it definitely the PS1 version, rather than the PSP version, that you unlock?

Last edited:

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the fact that there were a bunch of PS1 games that couldn't be downloaded on Vita- and that there was a network glitch where those games were all able to be downloaded for a day and ran perfectly fine- my guess is that the stuff up on PSN in PS1 classics would have to have their deals re-negotiated to allow additional platforms to play the games, and they (likely correctly) determined that adding the feature wouldn't really add to Playstation sales and decided to just not do it

Conjo

Oct 27, 2017
Lei Colmosna
Wouldn't the Crash Bandicoot section in UC4 also probably be emulated?
There's also a PSP emulator, see: Locoroco and whatever other game they used it for.

We're talking about the company that wants you to buy your PS2 games a 3rd time to play them on PS4, on a program they let die long ago. They don't care about BC

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You shouldn't have done that OP, I'm still playing the game and it would have been a nice surprise.

Oct 27, 2017
What emulator is it based on in Medievil?

i would love it if they surprised released Ps1 classics on PS4 on 12/3 for the 25th anniversary

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's also a PSP emulator, see: Locoroco and whatever other game they used it for.

We're talking about the company that wants you to buy your PS2 games a 3rd time to play them on PS4, on a program they let die long ago. They don't care about BC
Crash in UC4 was builded from the ground up, not emulation

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Parappa just the PS1 game with just new high res assets? And Locoroco the same thing but a PSP emulator?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Based on the fact that there were a bunch of PS1 games that couldn't be downloaded on Vita- and that there was a network glitch where those games were all able to be downloaded for a day and ran perfectly fine- my guess is that the stuff up on PSN in PS1 classics would have to have their deals re-negotiated to allow additional platforms to play the games, and they (likely correctly) determined that adding the feature wouldn't really add to Playstation sales and decided to just not do it

Couldn't you also bring (some of?) those blocked games over by downloading on PS3, then transferring to Vita?

That whole mess was really weird.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it was never a technological restriction. PS4 probably could have easily shipped with PS1 support if that was all that has been holding it back. It's likely more down to licensing and Sony might need to ask people to rebuy the games, which... why bother taking that PR hit

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
It's also a high chance that's it running in a emulator made specifically for Medievil. It takes a lot more work to make one that would work with every ps1 game.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't you also bring (some of?) those blocked games over by downloading on PS3, then transferring to Vita?

That whole mess was really weird.
Some of them, you could. But some, like the Crash games, could only be downloaded during that one weird glitch weekend, and then never again (without hacking).

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Unfortunately it's not coming. Can't make everybody re-buy remakes of the PSOne classics they already bought on PS3/PSP/Vita if you let them play the PSOne classics they already bought on PS3/PSP/Vita.

It's the same reason why the virtual console doesn't exist on the Switch. I guess they figure most people interested in buying PSOne classics already bought the PSOne classics they want.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
The answer is money and licensing. It is always the answer. It is not worth the amount of money and effort it takes for them to license these games to legally be played on the PS4.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
The answer is money and licensing. It is always the answer. It is not worth the amount of money and effort it takes for them to license these games to legally be played on the PS4.

Why do you need to license games from your own systems? Sounds like backwards compatibility would be illegal in that case.

(edit) or does it refer to the fact that PS1 classics would have to be re-published?

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Why do you need to license games from your own systems? Sounds like backwards compatibility would be illegal in that case.
Because the publishing rights are only to licence it for use on the platform it was released on. During the PS3 gen Sony updated the licence to also cover ps3/vita but it differed between regions

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Count me as someone glad OP ruined the surprise. I wasn't going to play this game anytime soon but I don't like plot spoilers however this is fine and warrants an interesting discussion. You guys need to quit being babies. If you're really so scared of spoilers do what I do and avoid ERA until you're done.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Full bc with entire catalogs seems like a no brainers for these companies but unfortunately they're in it for the money which is why we're getting these asinine remasters and collected sets, etc. I'd love for my whole game history to follow me but unless you stick with pc gaming it ain't gonna happen. Sucks too.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how in the world is that a spoiler

It's the ultimate unlockable (that wasn't marketed) in a remake of a classic, and this was already argued in a previous thread that did the same thing.

Because it's an old game, and still quite recently released, one might consider that some would be hoping for there to be a cool surprise for getting collectibles instead of just a trophy...

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
No need to be a jackass. Thread title could be absolutely considered a spoiler.
I do it because it's a jackass thing to derail a thread about something so trivial.

It's a fucking PS1 game being in the remake that no one's even going to play after unlocking it. Get over it.

Trophies titles are blanked out for the very reason so you don't get spoilers for the game like this. You understand how dumb what you said was now, right?
Let's check if the platinum is a hidden one.

ZyaCsvV.png

UGH NOW I KNOW WHAT THE PLATINUM IS

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
I do it because it's a jackass thing to derail a thread about something so trivial.

It's a fucking PS1 game being in the remake that no one's even going to play after unlocking it. Get over it.

Let's check if the platinum is a hidden one.

ZyaCsvV.png

UGH NOW I KNOW WHAT THE PLATINUM IS

Yup, nice. This is not what I'm talking about and you know it. Sometimes games give out trophies for unlocks, and the titles of those trophies are hidden for the very reason of not giving a spoiler for the games secrets. Why would this be hidden? There's no spoiler content in it's description or title.

I guess it's just to much to be considerate of something that would have zero negative effect on you but help other people. Oh well, seems like this conversation is a lost cause.

Jul 10, 2018
It's not a Sony product. It's a Digital Eclipse/Other Ocean product, and likely made by Mike Mika specifically. It's likely also customized just for that game.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's the ultimate unlockable (that wasn't marketed) in a remake of a classic, and this was already argued in a previous thread that did the same thing.

Because it's an old game, and still quite recently released, one might consider that some would be hoping for there to be a cool surprise for getting collectibles instead of just a trophy...
Nah, your idea of spoiler is baseless. Spoiler is shit like "Sir Daniel totally dies in the end", not "You can unlock the game you just beat". Don't lose sleep over it.