• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
It's the ultimate unlockable (that wasn't marketed) in a remake of a classic, and this was already argued in a previous thread that did the same thing.

Because it's an old game, and still quite recently released, one might consider that some would be hoping for there to be a cool surprise for getting collectibles instead of just a trophy...

yes, Might be a cool surprise. knowing the existence of the game doesn't ruin the experience in any meaningful way for the vast majority of people.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, nice. This is not what I'm talking about and you know it. Sometimes games give out trophies for unlocks, and the titles of those trophies are hidden for the very reason of not giving a spoiler for the games secrets. Why would this be hidden? There's no spoiler content in it's description or title.

I guess it's just to much to be considerate of something that would have zero negative effect on you but help other people. Oh well, seems like this conversation is a lost cause.
It's what I was talking about and you knew it because it's in line with being something of absolutely no consequence, unlike an actual story spoiler. So maybe be considerate to the nature of a discussion forum and not having to couch everything in [REDACTED] for the sake of people who don't want to actually see anything, regardless of how minor.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, your idea of spoiler is baseless. Spoiler is shit like "Sir Daniel totally dies in the end", not "You can unlock the game you just beat". Don't lose sleep over it.

It isn't a spoiler to me, but how is it baseless exactly? It's a surprise, the surprise was not revealed until people played the game, and as far as certain games go where the plot isn't the main reason people are playing...yes it can be ruined, which is the point of the term at its core.

It has multiple uses when applying to video games, just look at the recent Pokemon threads or whenever a Souls game comes out when location/boss/weapon names are masked.

yes, Might be a cool surprise. knowing the existence of the game doesn't ruin the experience in any meaningful way for the vast majority of people.

I'm just being empathetic to others who clearly didn't want to know due to a thread title. It personally didn't ruin anything for me but I can understand how it could for others. It's a retro game and unlocking something as a surprise was one of the main incentives back then.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Revealing unlockable content in a thread title for a game not even a month old isn't very respectful to your fellow players to say the least.

Even if it's something minor it would be courteous to give folks a "minor spoiler warning" in the title.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Revealing unlockable content in a thread title for a game not even a month old isn't very respectful to your fellow players to say the least.

Those with unreasonably high thresholds for information they don't want to know should perhaps take some responsibility for their own browsing habits.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Those with unreasonably high thresholds for information they don't want to know should perhaps take some responsibility for their own browsing habits.

If you feel that asking "minor spoiler warning" in a thread title for unlockable content is unreasonable, then there's really not much I can discuss with you there

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Can't really do much about that when the spoiler itself is in the thread title, now can they?

By taking responsibility I mean not browsing on a gaming forum for a few days which is by definition not a necessity unless they have a hopeless addiction to it.

If that sounds unreasonable imagine how the rest of us feel about this being labeled a spoiler.

If you feel that asking "minor spoiler warning" in a thread title for unlockable content is unreasonable, then there's really not much I can discuss with you there

It is unreasonable because it isn't a spoiler, not even a minor one.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Can't really do much about that when the spoiler itself is in the thread title, now can they?
How are you supposed to even spoiler tag the topic without revealing the exact same thing? All it says is that it's unlockable.

If the thread didn't list Medievil, then someone coming in will know it's Medievil and be "spoiled" anyway, if the topic said (Medievil spoilers) then you know there's something PS1 emulated within Medievil (and oh gosh what could that be). It's a lost cause.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't a spoiler to me, but how is it baseless exactly? It's a surprise, the surprise was not revealed until people played the game, and as far as certain games go where the plot isn't the main reason people are playing...yes it can be ruined, which is the point of the term at its core.

I'm just being empathetic to others who clearly didn't want to know due to a thread title. It personally didn't ruin anything for me but I can understand how it could for others. It's a retro game and unlocking something as a surprise was one of the main incentives back then.
who's experience is ruined? the person who'll be surprised for all of two seconds or the op who's thread has derailed again because of complaints over inconsequential "spoilers"

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
who's experience is ruined? the person who'll be surprised for all of two seconds or the op who's thread has derailed again because of complaints over inconsequential "spoilers"

I edited my post to cite more popular games where "gameplay spoilers" are treated like a big deal around here. It's not really fair to treat MediEvil differently just because it's not on the same level.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
If that sounds unreasonable imagine how the rest of us feel about this being labeled a spoiler.

That's up for debate; regardless I think discussing unlockable content for a freshly new game should be carried with a little tact and respect for other people playing the game. I don't think a spoiler warning in the thread title is asking for much.

Also, I think it's silly that you're painting the anti-spoiler culture folks as the victims here.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Please get back on topic: there is no way of having this discussion (the existence of an official SIE PS1 emulator for PS4) without mentioning what this unlockable is in the topic title.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My understanding is that the PS4 doesn't natively handle PS1 discs because it doesn't read CDs. Could they still sell and run the PSN PS1 classics you bought? Sure. But that would mean you wouldn't buy new games, or something.

It only has a DVD and Blu-Ray lasers. It doesn't play music CDs for the same reason. (And PS2 discs were a mix of DVD and CD)

dose

Oct 29, 2017
By taking responsibility I mean not browsing on a gaming forum for a few days which is by definition not a necessity unless they have a hopeless addiction to it.

If that was the case people would never visit here. Don't browse a website you regularly visit incase someone is stupid enough to post a spoiler in a thread? What a ridiculous comment to make.

It is a spoiler. Is it advertised on the box or in any Medievil ads? If it's something you're not going to discover until you finish a game, that's a spoiler.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
If that was the case people would never visit here. Don't browse a website you regularly visit incase someone is stupid enough to post a spoiler in a thread? What a ridiculous comment to make.

It is a spoiler. Is it advertised on the box or in any Medievil ads? If it's something you're not going to discover until you finish a game, that's a spoiler.

did you read the staff communication from 20 minutes ago or...

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
There's nothing really to discuss. If you want to play some PS1 games that's what the PS Classic is for.

Jun 7, 2018
I was planning on not finding out which games were released in 2019 until the Giant Bomb GOTY podcast at the end of the year, so thanks for the spoiler, I guess.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell I won't open a thread for a long time.
relax, people are too much sensible its not a story spoiler more like a feature spoiler, if anything story trailers have more important spoilers than that. And older games did that before and there's no drama about it, dq11 japanese, animal crossing, mgs3, castlevania psp etc.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Because some misguided fool at SIE think people don't want to play old games without trophies. That's why they have patents to add trophies to old games, but no publisher want to bother doing that

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Randomly turned on my PS3 yesterday and started checking out some PS Classics I have on the system. While playing Legend of Dragoon I thought to myself that it would be glorious playing this on my PS4. I know I can play them now but I am forced to use my PS3 remote (DS4 doesn't work on Classics for some reason) and it's be nice to have everything on my main console.

Hoping they make them available on PS5. Heck, I'd even repurchase some of them if I have to. Just give me the option Sony.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I was wondering, since the original Medievil is an unlockable bonus in the Medievil remake and it's exactly what you'd expect, the original emulated game...why Sony won't add the emulator to the PS4 in order to play PS1 Classics on the console? I mean, the emulator exists and it's a way for Sony to do some easy money.
Who says it's emulated and not simply ported?

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Do we know if it's the PAL (/50hz) or the NTSC copy that is emulated?

Didnt know that did this. I think it's cool as hell. I thought about old games doing that just lately and it's sad not more games do this anymore these days.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Why do you need to license games from your own systems? Sounds like backwards compatibility would be illegal in that case.

(edit) or does it refer to the fact that PS1 classics would have to be re-published?

Basically. They can't put the old PS1 games up for purchase in the PS4 store without working out new deals with everyone involved. It's possible they could put the games up for download-only for previous digital owners without offering them for sale, but then what is the impetus for them to go to that trouble if there is no additional money to be made from new sales? Sony is not in dire need of goodwill from gamers (they have that already) so why bother?

If they do anything about the BC situation it won't be until PS5, where they might decide to make a big deal about BC. The question is, if that happens, will they allow us to play the digital PS1 games we bought already or will they repackage them somehow to re-sell to us?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Basically. They can't put the old PS1 games up for purchase in the PS4 store without working out new deals with everyone involved. It's possible they could put the games up for download-only for previous digital owners without offering them for sale, but then what is the impetus for them to go to that trouble if there is no additional money to be made from new sales? Sony is not in dire need of goodwill from gamers (they have that already) so why bother?

If they do anything about the BC situation it won't be until PS5, where they might decide to make a big deal about BC. The question is, if that happens, will they allow us to play the digital PS1 games we bought already or will they repackage them somehow to re-sell to us?
Sell the emulator. If I were console only and could either buy official emulators to play all of my games on one box or have a shit ton of consoles hooked up to my TV, I'd spend the money if said emulators were reasonably priced pieces of software.

Hell, if Microsoft sold Xbox and 360 emulators on the Windows 10 store, I'd cough up the money right now instead of waiting for free open source ones to catch up.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Would be cool to have PS1 games sold on PS4/5, but I gave up on Sony (and Nintendo) ever getting around to a half decent offering, and now with subs and streaming they don't really have an incentive to sell you old games anymore outside of those means, so I've made my peace with emulating my old games