• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2018
...Do you think the proliferation of COVID-19 might cause Naughty Dog/Sony to withhold the release of the game, seeing as how its subject matter deals with the spread of a deadly disease? Do you think the release of this game is one of those "not the right place, not the right time" situations, or do you think it's fine for the game to release when it will? After all, it could be that the virus won't be as big of a problem in May. Am I just reading too much into this?

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Some people might point out that it's in somewhat bad taste in their perspective, but nah, probably not. Too many big, moving pieces on it.

This isn't a "We're going to release a game about a tsunami right after a tsunami killed a lot of people" situation like ten years ago.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I think we should expect a lot of shipping delays regardless of the subject material. It's a scary time, and I think a lot of games will miss their release dates - just my humble prediction.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
No, you're not looking too much into this. I remember Motorstorm: Apocalypse being delayed due to the devastating earthquake in Japan. I could definitely see Sony doing it again.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
As long as the world doesn't become a zombie apocalypse before the game releases it should be fine. Marketing might focus on other aspects than mankind's demise via a virus-like fungus though.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019
London
I wouldn't want to be marketing a game about a disease that shuts down society and turns humanity against itself while the world is grappling with this.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
That's an interesting thought.

Don't think Sony/ND will be completely blind to it. My guess is they'll see how things are closer to release and make decisions if they deem it appropriate.

It's a valid parallel

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, depending on issues it tackles in the flashback portions, it might turn into a timely release with things to say about how people react to spread of infectious diseases.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a crazy thought. Didn't Motorstorm get delayed after an earthquake/Tsunami hit Japan?

OP
OP
Wrapped in Black
Mar 10, 2018
Almost every game has guns and murder. I think you're reading into it too much.
But guns and murder (sadly) aren't considered global tragedies. Now if there was a game released about mass shootings during a time when we have just experienced one, then you'd have a point. But most games with guns and murder like GTA and Call of Duty are just about generalized crime and war, not specific national or global disasters.

Apr 21, 2018
I feel like in times like these, quarantined times, video games are a true saving grace.

I can see them delaying it for other reasons though. Polish and such.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I don't think so, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if it happens. Similar things happened to Motorstorm Apocalypse years ago.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
No. The focus of the game probably won't be the disease.

You could say the focus of MGS2 wasn't an attack on New York, but there was perceived overlap and changes made.

TLOU 1&2 might not be about the pandemic, but it does/will depict its real world impact on people and society, which feels a lot closer to home now than even a month ago, let alone May

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Sony delayed Motorstorm Apocalypse back in 2011, there is precedent but I imagine they won't since this trope is so common in media.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
OP preparing another thread like: Should CAPCOM cancel the release of Resident Evil 3 Remake?

GTFO with that crap...

Jan 15, 2018
You did read too much into it, they delayed the game purely for monetary reasons, but the end result is the same I suppose.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
This is gonna be purely shipping limitations. I wouldn't be surprised if other big releases this year follow suit.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
tumblr_m4cs2wF9VQ1qd2fnlo4_r1_250.gifv

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
If Sony made the PS5 an all-digital console, this wouldn't be a problem. But in all seriousness, this is going to be a big win for digital games. It's too bad that games have to be delayed. The big three should be going through a nightmare planning all the logistics for all the delays. Also, this is just starting!

Status
Not open for further replies.