• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This game can't come to PC quickly enough.

Hopefully this broadens some perspectives about Japanese game viability. Country of origin isn't what's important so much as content, and Xbox is very multi-player oriented.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm going to revisit this post in a month. PUBG will be in the top 5 for the entire year, but I'm betting MH will for sure be top 5 in a month.

Why is the split so important for this game? I see this type of post in just about every MH thread.

Most important take away is that despite the ludicrous notion that Japanese games don't sell on Xbox, they actual do.

I find the split between versions interesting and it's germane to the thread topic.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
PUBG did increase to #3 most played, fort nite battle Royale is still beating it however, along with call of duty.....

Glad monster hunter is doing well on Xbox, it's my main platform with the X out and I want more Japanese games damn it

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the first time Xbox fans got the taste of MH on Xbox consoles so I'm not too surprised. Capcom's strategy was really smart here.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been loving Monster Hunter World so far (matchmaking aside) so it's good to see lots of other gamers picking it up on Xbox.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
This is great because I had thought it would sell like shit on Xbox (based off comments on the internet lol)

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
was hoping it would be MHW or DBFZ, glad the community is embracing the game. They get a lot of stick for only playing shooters so nice to see the change

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
It will be interesting to see if Sea of Thieves takes the top spot given that its a GamePass game.
I wonder if the store team could get a "most downloaded" category going. Sure, it might be redundant given that "most played" typically covers that area but I would like to see the ratio of downloads to games actually being played, especially since first party games are now hitting game pass.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Without numbers I don't know how good this is, and this is US only too. Congrats to Capcom though.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
It's awesome that 3 of the top 5 games are
- Monster Hunter: World
- Monster Hunter: World — Deluxe Edition
- Dragon Ball FighterZ

I hope this leads to more Japanese games coming to Xbox in the future from both Bandai Namco and Capcom. Next we need to get KH3 in the top 5 paid Xbox One games to get more support from Square Enix. I have no problem with exclusive deals, but what I don't like is multiplatform games that don't come to a platform because of a stigma that it won't sell well. FFXV sold well on Xbox, it may not of been top 5 paid but it probably sold over 1M units if we go off the split percentages. That may be small compared to the multiple millions PS4 sold but 1 million isn't an insignificant number.

The same can be said for Switch and western games and developers. "Oh Nintendo gamers only like kid games and games from Japan." That's simply not true when you look at how much DOOM and Skyrim sold and with Bayonetta 3 coming out.

Last edited:

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Even without marketing, beta and promotion the game overtake a juggernaut. And some people talking how the game would bomb on xbox. So much crows served with the recent games on the platform.
I'm wondering how long to PUBG take back it's position.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
But Xbox players don't like Japanese games because they only likes shooters

Last edited:

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I got crow to eat.

In all seriousness I was only a little worried about the Xbox community but I can rest easy knowing it has a future.

ganaconda

Jan 24, 2018
This is great for Monster Hunter, but not like PUBG got "dethroned." This is based on recent sales, so you would expect the latest big game to always be on top. PUBG being on top for that long is pretty insane, especially considering it's still in Game Preview.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good news for the types of games Xbox players are playing. Hopefully it means more dev and publisher support.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This is great for Monster Hunter, but not like PUBG got "dethroned." This is based on recent sales, so you would expect the latest big game to always be on top. PUBG being on top for that long is pretty insane, especially considering it's still in Game Preview.

True. But PUBG is selling at such a quick rate and is digital only really and then for MHW to take the first spot even if its for a week is just good stuff. Especially when people said the sales wont be good on Xbox.
Wich was imo always weird. :)

Moai

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chile
So japanese players can create a gamertag on us marketplace and buy the game, then play with their gamertags, right?

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
So japanese players can create a gamertag on us marketplace and buy the game, then play with their gamertags, right?
Nada, just change store regions and they'll have access to the US storefront. No need for another Microsoft account.

Actually buying something is a different story. Out of region players might need to buy MS Gift Cards to be able to buy something.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the first time Xbox fans got the taste of MH on Xbox consoles so I'm not too surprised. Capcom's strategy was really smart here.
Yeah, they've literally gained a new audience across consoles, their next game will be on par with the top games this gen, brilliant move by capcom to go console/pc

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
The word of mouth and the amount of friends I see playing on Xbox for Monstrt Hunter has been tremendous

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The community on Xbox is alive and well, and is actually a bit busier than I had thought it would be.

There's multiple SOS's out for every monster you could be interested in farming (Low Rank & High Rank) plus a ton of people responding to SOS's (myself included), and since the multiplayer was broken in the beginning, a lot of the more advance players are still using the LFG system to set up specific lobbies, which is much better than what's in game if your interested in finding a lobby to meet up with randoms in the gathering hub and actually chill instead if hopping straight into the hunt.

All in all, I hope it did well enough for Capcom to show us a bit more love next game.
I just discovered the gathering hub today, never bothered to go up there, I've been farming the same monster I struggled against solo for the past hour and having a blast. This game is a lot of fun when playing with others.

Oct 27, 2017
Feels good to see Monster Hunter get it's due. Would have never thought it would overtake PUBG at any point on the Xbox sale chart.

I know multiple people who were avid Destiny players on Xbox who dropped it for MHW.

Game deserves all this success, 20+ hours in and I'm looking forward to the next 200+

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is great because I had thought it would sell like shit on Xbox (based off comments on the internet lol)

Yeah cause a 90/10% Split in favor for the PS4 WORLDWIDE is really insane and gangbusters.This is a huge difference.
Those 10% would have bought a PS4 more than likely or waited for the PC Version if it wouldn't have release on the Xbox.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah now it's switching over to" Crash trilogy won't sell on the Xbox due to its audience"

But wasn't the consensus that by the holiday, Crash was supposed to be on the Xbox? What happened?

I would say that the stereotype to certain extent was true in the past, but it seems like it's shifting which is nice.

I mean, it's Monster Hunter which is in line with modern RPGs so the aspect of the game appeals to all gamers on both consoles. I wouldn't put MHW in the same vain as FFXV or even something like turn based like Persona which aestically looks more Japanese than MHW. So Imo, until more common Japanese games make it to Xbox, im still going to sit with that until mostly proven otherwise.

Oct 27, 2017
it's great monster hunter does well, but to be fair to a certain extent it's true that xbox's demographic is mostly people that love shooters and racing.
But it's not though. Shooter games do well everywhere not just Xbox. And if you check the top 10 most played games you see 2 Battle royals games, 2 first person shooters, 1 open world(GTA), 2 sports(Madden &2k), 1 action adventure(Monster Hunter),1 kids game(Roblox), 1 survival game(Ark)

Call of duty and destiny are gonna be popular everywhere. If that's saying Xbox players love shooter then everybody does. The only genre that is lacking on the Xbox is JRPG

Deleted member 17491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Happy to see it up so high despite the lack of a beta and the Sony marketing deal.

Haven't been able to play much yet. But so far I'm enjoying my first foray into the Monster Hunter world.
"Somethingsomething Xbox gamers shootbang wrong demographic Halo/Forza no audience something something."
Don't worry this doesn't mean that people will stop posting "PS players have better taste than Xbox players" type posts.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
But wasn't the consensus that by the holiday, Crash was supposed to be on the Xbox? What happened?

I mean, it's Monster Hunter which is in line with modern RPGs so the aspect of the game appeals to all gamers on both consoles. I wouldn't put MHW in the same vain as FFXV or even something like turn based like Persona which aestically looks more Japanese than MHW. So Imo, until more common Japanese games make it to Xbox, im still going to sit with that until mostly proven otherwise.

Mind explaining this bit?

I'm 90 hours into the game and I'm drawing a blank on how MH: World is in any shape, way, or form similar to titles like Assassins Creed: Origins, The Witcher III, Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, or Fallout IV?

The game is selling well on Xbox because it's good.

Oct 25, 2017
Mind explaining this bit?

I'm 90 hours into the game and I'm drawing a blank with how MH: World is in any shape way or form similar to titles like Assassins Creed: Origins, The Witcher III, or the Elder Scrolls or Fallout?

Quest structure, fighting to get more gear, crafting, leveling and progression systems. There's a ton of overlap with current RPGs today. The biggest difference with this compared to the games you listed is this one is more made for multiplayer purposes a la games like Destiny.

And why are people expecting that this game wouldn't have sold period on the Xbox? Come on now. That's a very disingenuous statement considering it's a game that has been exclusively on a handheld for years before moving over to consoles.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
Great news! All that doomsaying about the lack of community support seems overblown now, doesn't it?
Depends, the people saying the player base would be dead on XB1 were definitely overblowing it. But most people were saying the player base would be significantly higher on PS4 and that the game would survive longer on PS4, and that much is probably true.

The game shipped/sold 5M and I would say that at least 75% of that is on PS4, probably higher. We already know it sold ~1.3M in Japan FW (and rumored to be 2M including digital), and 72% of sales were on PS4 in the UK, XB1's second strongest market.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017

Amazon Japan is selling US copies (via Prime)
DVKShp_UMAAl1gT.jpg:small

There is also a unofficial bundle for the S and the X on Amazon Prime
DVKRKBLVAAEYSCz.jpg:small

DVKRtOmU0AUd_3s.jpg:small

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B079HXZ...00-22&linkId=ae86d80405ad231c71afdce45cdff921

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Quest structure, fighting to get more gear, crafting, leveling and progression systems. There's a ton of overlap with current RPGs today. The biggest difference with this compared to the games you listed is this one is more made for multiplayer purposes a la games like Destiny.

And why are people expecting that this game wouldn't have sold period on the Xbox? Come on now. That's a very disingenuous statement considering it's a game that has been exclusively on a handheld for years before moving over to consoles.

Ok, what?

The gear, leveling, and progression systems are radically different than any of those modern RPG's. There's no individual leveling, no skill trees for your character to unlock or XP systems unlike every game I just listed. Progression is tied directly to your ability to understand and react to the monster in front of you and your gear, and getting better gear means getting better at the game one way or another.

There's no trash mobs for you to farm for XP to overcome your challenges with numbers instead of skill.

Quest structure is probably the closest you can argue MH gets to a typical RPG, and even that is a ways off. I mean you spend a couple minutes walking around a map after accepting a quest from your handler, and then the better part of an hour fighting a single enemy.

To sum it up, Monster Hunter is a very Japanese game in it's design, (even with the changes World has made) so pointing to similarities with a more popular western focused genre to explain why it's doing so well on a particular platform kind of sells the game as less than it is imo. It's not doing good on Xbox because it's "less Japanese" than a game like Persona 5. It's doing good on Xbox because it's a great game, and I believe it's just that simple.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Good to see even with this good launch people will not drop the "Xbox don't like japanese games" and how "everyone knew it would sell well because it's not japanese enough" now

I was worried Era stopped being Era for a second