• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 6, 2017
I wonder if the xbo storefront counts the digital codes that come in the box version of pubg as digital sales. If so... their high digital position may be a little misleading

Cladyclad

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I need numbers. Most hardcore gamers Buy digital. Now we need to see how the casual Xbox fan bought the physical version. That's the big test

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Glad to see Monster Hunter have this type of success and completely dominate all platforms.

The series has been good for a while and im glad its getting the recognition it deserves finally.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Good to see even with this good launch people will not drop the "Xbox don't like japanese games" and how "everyone knew it would sell well because it's not japanese enough" now

I was worried Era stopped being Era for a second

Is that actually happening in this thread? This thread seems to mostly consist of "So much for MHW not selling on the Xbox" posts.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
How often do the Xbox 'Top Paid Games' charts update? I often check them but never sure how up to date they are. Just wondering when we're likely to see a change.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Well from my time looking at the lobbies I see 2 to 3 pages of almost full lobbies in mhw when you search on xbox...but when I look at the ps4 you get about 2 pages but most are under 5 players.

Could be the sleeper hit on the xbox....the matchmaking is fixed now so it's great

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this on both consoles. Both of my friends lists on each platform has a healthy population of players. I'm surprised at the amount of people on my Xbox friends list. Although hearing about the mass Destiny 2 exodus into Monster Hunter makes sense as all my friends who played Destiny 2 on the Xbox are now addicted to MH. I've had to help a lot of them out lol. I'm just doin' gods work.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, what?

The gear, leveling, and progression systems are radically different than any of those modern RPG's. There's no individual leveling, no skill trees for your character to unlock or XP systems unlike every game I just listed. Progression is tied directly to your ability to understand and react to the monster in front of you and your gear, and getting better gear means getting better at the game one way or another.

There's no trash mobs for you to farm for XP to overcome your challenges with numbers instead of skill.

Quest structure is probably the closest you can argue MH gets to a typical RPG, and even that is a ways off. I mean you spend a couple minutes walking around a map after accepting a quest from your handler, and then the better part of an hour fighting a single enemy.

To sum it up, Monster Hunter is a very Japanese game in it's design, (even with the changes World has made) so pointing to similarities with a more popular western focused genre to explain why it's doing so well on a particular platform kind of sells the game as less than it is imo. It's not doing good on Xbox because it's "less Japanese" than a game like Persona 5. It's doing good on Xbox because it's a great game, and I believe it's just that simple.

You aren't really proving me wrong here. Two things doesn't make the game unidentifiable with the current slate of multiplayer RPGs. And if you want to be real, yes, you do need to farm things to get things for your gear, which is what Investigations are....so it's again incorrect to say you aren't grinding something...These are all apart of this games progression system. You don't get everything you need in the game from a single story quest and say that's enough to move on to the other. Also, your gear determines your classification level so it counts. Isn't that the reason why there's the different between low rank and high rank or why you can't do certain levels because your skill level isn't high enough to do them? There are still some restrictions here. There is no skill tree for your personal abilities but you still have a weapon trees that you definitely need to update to fight bigger and better monsters. All of these functions are in the modern RPG. They just do it in very different ways, but again, it's not foreign to the current gamer which is why it is also doing so well including the fact that its not on a handheld which allows the game to be more high scale than ever.

I'm not taking away from the games success on this platform, I'm just saying that it isn't what most people would even consider "Japanese" when most games these days offer the same type of systems. I'm happy that this game is successful period, I just think it doesn't exactly shield or remove the "stereotype" that Xbox gamers are indifferent to JRPGs. Obviously more JRPGs are need on the platform to pretty much smash the myth, but I just don't think Monster Hunter is disproving that. I definitely agree however, MHW is doing good more on the fact that its a really great game and that's it.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
There isn't because it's an opinion. I'm not treating it as a fact. I know opinions are allowed here regardless if you disagree...and I'm assuming that's what your comment is since it isn't telling me anything outside of a reaction.

It's a very weird opinion to have however, and an extremely weak one for arguing the point you're trying to make. The Monster Hunter / Phantasy Star Online style sub-genre of games is so inherently Japanese that many games of their style never make it over (including Phantasy Star Online 2 itself). Couple that with the fact that both of these series had prioritised handhelds over home consoles precisely because their market was considered so predominantly Japan, and I don't see how we're now suddenly arguing that the game is less "Japanese" than the types of games that have been finding mainstream (hell, system selling) successes globally since the 90s.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

Warbear

User requested self-ban.
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
This seems like good news for Monster Hunter on Xbox, I do hope it carries on and wish success for other Japanese games that may appear on Xbox in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a very weird opinion to have however, and an extremely weak one for arguing the point you're trying to make. The Monster Hunter / Phantasy Star Online style sub-genre of games is so inherently Japanese that many games of their style never make it over (including Phantasy Star Online 2 itself). Couple that with the fact that both of these series had prioritised handhelds over home consoles precisely because their market was considered so predominantly Japan, and I don't see how we're now suddenly arguing that the game is less "Japanese" than the types of games that have been finding mainstream (hell, system selling) successes globally since the 90s.

I don't think it's weak at all. All I'm saying is from a gameplay perspective, it's just not what I think most people consider Japanese. The characters, the look of the game may be, but I do believe that when people think of a JRPG, they aren't thinking about Monster Hunter in that mold.

It's not like I'm saying I'm right or anything or even trying to argue that what your saying is wrong....I'm just saying that I don't think the game is giving that vibe that it's a JRPG and this is what will stop Japanese devs from bringing more of their games to the Xbox.

Anyways, I'm gonna leave the thread because I don't want to derail it if that's what it seems like I'm doing.

Last edited:

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's weak at all. All I'm saying is from a gameplay perspective, it's just not what I think most people consider Japanese. The characters, the look of the game may be, but I do believe that when people think of a JRPG, they aren't thinking about Monster Hunter in that mold.

It's not like I'm saying I'm right or anything or even trying to argue that what your saying is wrong....I'm just saying that I don't think the game is giving that vibe that it's a JRPG and this is what will deter Japanese devs from bringing more of their games to the Xbox.

Anyways, I'm gonna leave the thread because I don't want to derail it if that's what it seems like I'm doing.

It's not strictly about being a "JPRG". I would agree that Monster Hunter doesn't fit the standard gameplay mechanics of JRPGs, which is why I cited it and games like PSO as being a somewhat separate sub-genre. The argument however, is typically that the Xbox audience is adverse to "Japanese" games in general, not strictly JRPGs which outside of Nintendo games are basically the most globally successful type of game Japan tends to produce.

Guilty Gear / Blazblue? Xbox audience don't play Japanese games.
Yakuza? Xbox players don't play Japanese games.
Gundam Vs? Xbox players don't play Japanese games.

...and so on. It's never been limited to just JRPGs. Now here we have a game which people recently were laughing at Capcom's initial optimism (across all platforms), because it's a game that had not achieved notable success in West previously, and was being seen as a potential mistake to remove it from the handheld market, because that's where its near exclusively Japanese audience had always been. Now it's sitting at #1 paid on Xbox, and people are acting like it's Resident Evil.

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm going to revisit this post in a month. PUBG will be in the top 5 for the entire year, but I'm betting MH will for sure be top 5 in a month.

Why is the split so important for this game? I see this type of post in just about every MH thread.

Most important take away is that despite the ludicrous notion that Japanese games don't sell on Xbox, they actual do.

One oddball extremely popular game atm doesn't really prove that, but it does give a small amount of hope. Historically it just hasn't been the case I'm afraid.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats Capcom, I thought they might have done enough to kill this version before release. But seems MHW is shaping up to be a bit of a monster in the West.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I bought this on both consoles. Both of my friends lists on each platform has a healthy population of players. I'm surprised at the amount of people on my Xbox friends list. Although hearing about the mass Destiny 2 exodus into Monster Hunter makes sense as all my friends who played Destiny 2 on the Xbox are now addicted to MH. I've had to help a lot of them out lol. I'm just doin' gods work.

Same here. I have played 60 hours on my X and maybe 3 hours on my Pro. MHW seemingly has sold much better than anticipated on Xbox which is great for the console and the game population. I have had zero problems finding anyone to play with on Xbox despite the dire sales predictions here...

Nov 3, 2017
Imagining popping up in a Monster Hunter community thread a few years ago and telling people a MonHun game would be 1# on the Xbox

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Great! Now if only the matchmaking worked.

With the update a few days ago, it went from D.O.A. to maybe finds a room after 6-10 error messages for me. As well as dropping me from rooms randomly.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Proving that the concerns about the lack of an Xbox community were unfounded.

Also showing why Capcom needs to prioritize completely fixing the problems with the Xbox matchmaking.

Sioul

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
I need all those "Xbox will have minimal community support" quotes in this thread right now.

Well I think that we all agree that PS4 has bigger install base and that the game will be more popular there, but that's no reason to think that that the community will be non existent or that xbox players will not take it seriously like some people said.

vQMa0VD.jpg

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
So happy for Monster Hunter and Capcom. For some reasons i'm always a bit worried about the financial state of Capcom. This is a hit for them finally.

Nov 4, 2017
I'm not taking away from the games success on this platform, I'm just saying that it isn't what most people would even consider "Japanese" when most games these days offer the same type of systems.
Oh please, it's animu AF and widely known to be made in Japan. The only way it could be more Japanese is if it denied the existence of the Ainu and slowly rewrote history text books to make Japan look like the victim in WWII.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Dual swords basically make you run like Naruto and attack like Erin Jaeger.

This game is weeb as fuck.

krealian

Oct 25, 2017
Oh please, it's animu AF and widely known to be made in Japan. The only way it could be more Japanese is if it denied the existence of the Ainu and slowly rewrote history text books to make Japan look like the victim in WWII.
Seriously, it's Japanese through and through. From the cute cats, to the awkward conversations between characters, convoluted online system, unnecessary info dialogs ("connecting to Xbox live", "loading save" etc.) and weirdly small fonts. There might be Western games that share some of these problems but on the whole I attribute them to the game being Japanese. I heard these complaints from friends of mine who all used to play Destiny and are now addicted to Monster Hunter. It's successful despite being Japanese.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Seriously, it's Japanese through and through. From the cute cats, to the awkward conversations between characters, convoluted online system, unnecessary info dialogs ("connecting to Xbox live", "loading save" etc.) and weirdly small fonts. There might be Western games that share some of these problems but on the whole I attribute them to the game being Japanese. I heard these complaints from friends of mine who all used to play Destiny and are now addicted to Monster Hunter. It's successful despite being Japanese.

Stop using logic to disprove the narrative that japanese games always fail on Xbox

Monster Hunter is as American as Bruce Springsteen flying with one hundred bald eagles it doesn't count

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So happy to see a japanese assed Japanese game do so well on the Xbox platform. Me and my friends did our part but would have happily bought and played on any platform it came too. Just wanted to show the one X some love. Impressive to see others must have thought the same way.

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
absolutely could had fooled me, I have been playing MH: World on xbox since launch and the couple times I have attempted to put down SOS flares or make a party I got absolutely nothing.

I love the game but as for the multiplayer aspect it feels really dead.

?????

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
absolutely could had fooled me, I have been playing MH: World on xbox since launch and the couple times I have attempted to put down SOS flares or make a party I got absolutely nothing.

Not my experience at all. I've got over 60 hours in the game now and I've been playing with randoms, joining SOS callouts and finding people to hunt with no problem. Maybe there are still server issues in some locations but for me, it's been perfect. I'm finding the right people (and calling in help for missions) on Xbox faster than I ever did on the 3DS games. I don't think the new online implementation is perfect (i preferred the old way in a lot of ways) but it's certainly quicker and has a better chance of matching me with appropriate people for sure.

Sucks that you've had no luck with it! Hopefully it improves. My tip would be to use the filters when you search for sessions/SOS flares. Specify that you want people close to your HR or, even better, a specific monster that you want to target. I get back tons and tons of results every time when I search with filters.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

?????

COmpletely the opposite for me, where are you based? Every SOS flare i've fired I get three hunters involved.

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not my experience at all. I've got over 60 hours in the game now and I've been playing with randoms, joining SOS callouts and finding people to hunt with no problem. Maybe there are still server issues in some locations but for me, it's been perfect. I'm finding the right people (and calling in help for missions) on Xbox faster than I ever did on the 3DS games. I don't think the new online implementation is perfect (i preferred the old way in a lot of ways) but it's certainly quicker and has a better chance of matching me with appropriate people for sure.

Sucks that you've had no luck with it! Hopefully it improves. My tip would be to use the filters when you search for sessions/SOS flares. Specify that you want people close to your HR or, even better, a specific monster that you want to target. I get back tons and tons of results every time when I search with filters.

I think one of my key issues is being from EU, but also maybe due to quests I'm on are fairly low at the moment.

Which for me is fine, I'm a fairly capable hunter, it just would be nice sometimes to get a little help as diablos are a realllll pain, but still doable.

Once I reach end game hopefully there will be plenty of people around to go on hunts with :).

Thanks for your tips though, I have been using them to no real luck, but will keep trying for sure!

COmpletely the opposite for me, where are you based? Every SOS flare i've fired I get three hunters involved.

UK I played all Saturday kept firing flares but nothing, I will check my NAT etc something doesn't sound right my end if everyone seems to be getting people.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
"Japanese games don't sell on Xbox, period"
"Well this one and fighterz are selling well"
"But only because it's new! We need to wait if it will top sales for five years before saying anything"

And then even if it did the next argument in line would be how the split was bigger for PS4 which somehow would make all the money Capcom/bamco got from a Xbox version not valid

Some people just want to argue for arguing's sake
Pretty much. I think we should just accept that Xbox is a viable platform for any kind of game, from kirk niche indies to Japanese games, even if not always as big as other platforms for these.

And if Ms play their cards right it could be even more viable with game pass.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Was that a deal or something? Or Capcom just said no due to the lack of install base? If it was a deal, it's the most unnecessary deal made lol.
It's almost assuredly an exclusivity deal with Sony for the region. The PC version also isn't releasing in Asia and this is literally Capcom's only Xbox One game not getting a Japanese release.