• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I recently decided to buy Alan Wake on my Xbox one and give it a go again. I live in Canada. To my dismay, it's not available? I researched and saw it was removed for licensing reasons but then came back last fall. Am I missing something? Do I just never get to play this game again short of getting a used disc?

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
They might have a cute reference to him in a dark deep ocean of blackness writing on a typewriter or something in Control......

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Lol you guys stop it with the references as if you remembered what happend at the end of Alan Wake.

I want AW2 too :(

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Strange that it's gone from Xbox but not from other platforms. I know there was a music licensing issue back then but it got re-listed after that. It shouldn't only impact Xbox either if the licenses had expired again.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Why is it that movies with licensed musicare basically available forever, but games aren't? Do film studios just buy a longer license?

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why is it that movies with licensed musicare basically available forever, but games aren't? Do film studios just buy a longer license?

That's a really good question.

I know that TV shows can and do loose their rights to certain music but I don't know how it works with film or if studios have to pay out additional money when they re-release movies.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Strange that it's gone from Xbox but not from other platforms. I know there was a music licensing issue back then but it got re-listed after that. It shouldn't only impact Xbox either if the licenses had expired again.

Maybe a Microsoft issue? The PC versions are published by Remedy.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
No one's ever really gone. I think we will see Alan Wake again, seems like perfect content for GamePass IMO.
EDIT to actually answer the question: I was under the impression that they need to iron our some rights to the music and it will be back

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
It has licensed music and they only bought 10 years worth of rights to the music when they made the game.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
It's odd because it's back on Steam and GOG thanks to Microsoft apparently - but they never made it available on the Xbox Marketplace again for some reason.

Maybe someone could ask @P3 about it.

Many production companies in Hollywood often own the production companies that produces the music, which is why they rarely lose the license.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've read that film and TV studios simply tend to have better connections to the music industry and thus have an easier time renewing licences than game studios/publishers do. But there have been cases of distributors/networks having to switch out music in older films and TV shows due to licencing issues, apparently.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
You can buy Xbox live codes for it on ebay. Or you could track down a sealed copy of Quantum Break (which it was bundled with).

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
You should come to grips with Microsoft abandoning games (entire xbox original generation) but yeah MIA.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
It'll depend how well Control does but I don't think Alan Wake is a high enough profile IP to whip out as a lifebuoy in tough times. I don't know how well American Nightmare did but it didn't have much of a fanfare.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS renegotiated the licenses late last year and the game got relisted on PC storefronts. Remedy said it would get relisted shortly back on Xbox marketplace but it never did. My guess is the game is getting X enhanced and will get relisted when it's finished and announced to the public.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
MS renegotiated the licenses late last year and the game got relisted on PC storefronts. Remedy said it would get relisted shortly back on Xbox marketplace but it never did. My guess is the game is getting X enhanced and will get relisted when it's finished and announced to the public.
Maybe. Might end up on Game Pass then, too.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of delistings i went to buy avp on the xbox live market place and its no longer availible in the us : (

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Studios dealt with this in the early 90s and the VHS heyday.

There were a LOT of movies (and TV shows) that had music changed when it hit home release because the original license was just for theatrical or TV use.

Nowadays, it is either licensed for "all media, forever" or done as a work for hire.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Movies have had experience with long tail revenue for several decades. They planned their licenses around the fact they might be selling a 4th run 12 years down the run.

TV is probably the one that's had the most issues like video games. Studios bought licenses to songs for broadcast because they knew they would syndicate, but never had any idea that people would actually be buying TV seasons to own. So things like the Wonder Years got their music butchered (or some shows have episodes that are flat out missing).

Gaming didn't catch on to the idea of frequent rereleases and the prevelance of digital customers until this generation and part of last one. We'll likely see less of an issue with games from this one.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for Alan to emerge from the Dark Place as Mr. Jackpots.

tumblr_oqfro5ldn81rd80hmo1_500.gif

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Nothing is gone forever. Sooner or later, there will be a new Alan Wake game, it's too interesting a franchise to never get brought up again.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Movies are sold as products.

Digital games are, legally, sold as subscriptions that you pay once for (yes, it's absurd) and therefore the publisher is ordered to cease the "service" for content they no longer own.

OP
OP
badnewsbeers

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Well this is all very sad. This is the first time the digital gaming era has personally affected me.

I bought a code on eBay... we'll see if it works in Canada.