• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Im 33 and so far its way better than in my 20s. Went through an almost one decade long depression and it sucked all the happy go lucky part of myself, as well as losing all the right habits I had before. I'm absolutely a work in progress but I got to know a lot of people and do quite a bit of things I've never did, as well as fully indulging in what I actually love rather than pleasing people just to be with them (like base jumping and roller coasters)

Overall, life changing for the best, I don't feel pain or anything like that and still got a metric ton of hairs

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously though, for those of you that are in your mid-30's and have changed your habits... how? How'd you do it? I know I need to make some changes and I am, slowly, but it's very difficult.
In 2014, smack dab in my mid-30s, I guess I was ready to try something new. I got interested in the paleo diet that was getting lots of press so I made a concerted effort to try it, starting (pretty boldly) by doing a Whole30, which is a very strict 30-day eating plan that can act as a "reset" on one's prior eating habits. It was a rough first week but I completed the Whole30 and just kept going from there. Within 3 months I was at my lowest-ever adult weight, like mid-150s, and felt strangely energized by food, a totally novel feeling. (Over the next few years my slightly loosey-goosey paleo (loved my cheese!) morphed into a fairly strict keto diet, which was also a good experience.)

Starting around then I made a similar effort with exercise. I was attending community college at the time so (for the first time ever) I dipped my toe into weight training via their small gym.

While going about campus I'd noticed people in midday badminton classes, and thought it looked interesting. So the next spring I tried badminton. Got hooked and have now been playing weekly or so for 4 years. It's a real bright spot in my life that's led to great new friends and experiences.

(video interlude: badminton is awesome and more people should try it)

After a few semesters the school gym thing faded and a bit later I decided to join the local YMCA. Classes like yoga were free w/ membership (nice!) but ultimately showing up on time to things like that was beyond me, so I ended up concentrating on resistance training again, showing up 3-4 times a week to do circuits of machines planned by their app. (I felt I wasn't flexible enough to have good form on free weights, which, when you can use them properly, are way better than machines.) Did that pretty solidly for over a year and ended up in my best shape to date.

Then I got had a surgery + got depressed and quit the YMCA. Lost all my pretty muscle gains, fell off the keto train.

Now I'm finally recovering from that downturn. I started intermittent fasting two months ago and my waist's already gone from 32.5" to 29.5, with no sign of slowing. (I'm 6'1", started IF around ~174 lbs, this morning I'm 162 lbs, super pleased/excited by how easy and effective IF is proving.) I don't have the discipline / wherewithal to schlep to an external gym these days so I've decided to reboot my efforts with exercise I can do in my apartment, namely kettlebell work, resistance bands, and some Foundation Training video workouts. I'll be getting Ring Fit Adventure soon too!

I don't know exactly why I was able to make that change in my mid-30s. Part of it was I was just ready, finally, to better my health and body. And I encountered diets and workouts that seemed appealing. (I will never stop singing the praises of Reddit as a tool for accessing both hobbyist and self-improvement knowledge.)

I wish I had learned all I've learned and made all these changes 10, 20 years earlier. I could have had a much healthier 20s / early 30s. But better late than never! There will always be ups and downs on my health and fitness journey, as depression, lack of emotional energy, and injuries set me back (went too hard in badminton recently so I'm waiting to start physical therapy for my right knee, in fact).

But importantly, my mindset's changed forever. I now value and respect having a healthy body, and I can never go back to the completely apathetic couch potato that I was. That said, one of my biggest problems is still sitting and slouching at my computer for days at a time. Posture and (lack of) flexibility remain two of my biggest challenges to overcome.

You may be getting the sense that this is a journey. It's not just fit or not fit, it's a continuum we travel from birth till death. While the journey toward better health is long, the rewards can be immense and deeply gratifying. I hope you can find your own inspiration to start making positive changes. Once they start stickin', like with that changed mindset I mentioned, you'll know you're well on your way.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I've had a gut since I was 14. Life's easier when you started at the bottom and just stayed there.

Last edited:

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Bad knee, bad elbow, bad wrist, bad thumbs, bad lower and mid back. bad neck and impossible to get rid of gut unless I live like a monk or something.

Other than that, I'm doing great! ^_^u

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
I was at the pub on Sunday just there and ended up taking someone home and banging all night (wheeey). I was walking to work on Monday and my hip was fucking killing me. It's actually still sore lol

I turned 30 at the start of the month. If this is what it's going to be like I am dreading getting older šŸ˜­

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Early 30s, and so far the only one to hit me is my knees starting to crack a hell of a lot. It's actually really unnerving. lol.

I do have TERRIBLE eye sight too (like, -6.25 terrible), though my eyes have been terrible since school, so it's just a continued decimation. lol. Though I'm gonna have laser eye surgery in couple of years, so at least I can do something about that. Can't do much about my knees
pacman_static__v_by_dcskmm.png

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was initially. But 2.5 years ago, I started eating right and working out. In my mid 30s I'm in the best shape of my life by a huge margin--by far the leanest and strongest I've ever been. I would put 21 year old me to shame. I won't ever change how I live barring a horrific accident.

valeo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 30 and my biggest problem is the inability to fight off most infections in a 'standard' amount of time; takes me lots of courses of antibiotics, which in turn fucks up my gut.

I also have a lot of skin issues (psoriasis) that I used to be able to manage but are getting a lot worse.

I've done pilates for the last 2 years consistently to try and fix my back pain from sitting most of the day - has worked. I also haven't drank soda for around 12 years. I drink beer every now and then, but only 2-3 and I will only binge once in a blue moon.

I drink a lot of water, which probably helps, but honestly most of my problems are just because of the inevitability of genetics.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm in my mid 30's also and I'm definitely not falling apart but yeah you start to notice things or develop things. For me personally I've noticed:

- My back is probably going to cause issues as I keep getting older no doubt due to hunching over in a chair playing video games and PC usage for decades.
- High dairy and sugar intake make me break out now for whatever reason so that sucks but I look on the bright side with this as it forces me to be healthier.
- A big thing is drinking and hangovers. Not that I'm a big drinker anyway but it takes me like 2-3 days to recover from a hangover now, it's pathetic.

A lot of things also come down to genetics or simply bad luck. There's no doubt you need to live a healthier life style and exercise if you want to combat ageing and fighting off preventable diseases as you get older, though.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
Started my mid 20s

Never went to the doctors for decades pretty much Turned about 24 ish and ever since then I feel like I'm never away. When something goes away, something else comes back.

Gallstones, pancreatitis, anxiety, pains, nausea, so on so on

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
late 20s is when i found out i can't drink x amount of beer and eat a bunch of pizza and hot wings anymore. like... that shit needs to be burnt off

otherwise i'm in the best shape of my life going into 40. but you have to work for it. like *for real* putting in work. 5+ hrs at the gym a week, no BS diet, ect

Oct 28, 2017
28 and I'm really focused on eating healthy and exercising when I can due to my office job

I see how badly so many age here in metro Detroit and hell to the no

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
A bit. Right knee has slight problems and my right shoulder is absolutely fucked since a few years ago. Can't do any strenuous activities that would affect it, otherwise I could get another inflammation. The last one a few weeks back I had after testing to do some light shoulder workout again was so bad, I was awake for an entire night due to the extrem pain and couldn't even lift my arm more than a few cm. Had to get a cortisone shot to be able to feel like a human again. So no more shoulder work out for life. That's a bummer.

Otherwise I have no other issues tho.

Oct 25, 2017
I became diabetic almost 3 years ago now. Ever since then, I've been working out and eating more healthy on a far more consistent basis.

I'm 26 going on 27 in a few months and I'm now in the best shape of my life.

Keeping this sort of thing going at a younger age should really reward me once I hit the age you all are talking about here.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My metabolism became so slow in my 30s. In my 20s I can eat lots and still barely gain weight and increase in body size. Now, even with exercise and adjusted diet the best I can do is maintain being a little overweight.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in pretty good health but body wise look like a slob. If I'm overweight I'm just, but at 30 I'm the most skinny-fat I've been in my whole life. Between work and raising a kid I can't find any time to work out consistently and I feel like all my body mass is jello.

When I do work out I don't feel much different than I did a couple of years ago, but I have less energy outside workouts. It's inertia.

Hairtux

Oct 25, 2017
37 now, at 35 I ran two 50k trail races. I was lazy as shit growing up, didn't start running until around 30. Mountain biked frequently in my 20s but I was never in amazing shape. Hurt my wrist in May while lifting weights but can't blame that on age - I blame that on my ability to always do something stupid while lifting because I did the same to my lower back doing deadlifts a long time ago. Been eating like total shit and stopped running since the wrist thing and also moved cross country which was extremely stressful so I gained some weight there, but started running again finally.

What works for me, particularly when concerned with running, is to have a set goal, usually a race that I've paid for, because that means I'm obligated to not make an embarrassment out of myself.

So I don't feel like I'm falling apart. Basically, just gotta keep gettin' at it. Pitter patter.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has a lot more to do with your lifestyle catching up to you than it being the 30s.

Don't treat your body(and mind) like shit and you will age slower.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
30 is when the year i get anxiety attacks I guess. Everything else seems to be going alright, though I should prolly cut back on the booze or that'll change fast.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I'm 40 and I feel...fine?

I have the impression my vision is deteriorating a bit, but not hugely so (nothing actually noticeable during medical checkups yet either).
In some ways I'm actually healthier than I was during my early 30s because I started exercising regularly and I'm sub-70 kg now, which I haven't been since I was 20.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most people have no clue what proper health is.
All they know is go to the gym and pump iron or run/play sports.
Get ripped, no pain/no gain

I'm 40 and I feel...fine?
In my experience if you point out issues to a person they won't believe you.
And even worse if you expose a pain or injury point you can cause them severe pain to the point that they can't undo it and will end up being fixated on it.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
If i'm staying anywhere overnight that isn't my bed I have a travel pillow that is mandatory if I don't want to wake up the next morning like a Tree Ent.
So yes

The most noticeable thing about aging (I'm 40) for me is that I can't really stay up all night without being completely useless and all kinds of fucked up the next day. Throughout my 20s and early 30s, I frequently pulled all-nighters no problem, that's no longer possible.

Other than that, I'm relatively fine, but that's because I started working out regularly two years ago and fixed my diet, so I'm in a better shape than I've been in a long time. But you really can't outexercise the fact you need more rest than you did when you were younger.

Add to that mix drinking. I have no stamina for drinking anymore. If I drink to the point of a pretty decent buzz I will be like an extra from the Walking Dead the following morning.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I've had fibromyalgia since my early 20s so I don't really notice the process of aging when I've felt like 80 for so long.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
34 this year. Got a slight pain on my right feet sometimes (gout maybe) and my bald spot which I had since a kid is growing bigger.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm gonna fall to dust every morning i wake up. I'll definitely be dead by my mid-40s at this rate i reckon.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, I think I was in worse shape during my 20s. Changing my diet played a huge role. Wasn't overweight but I used to drink way too much soda - cutting that out basically eliminated the frequent headaches I used to get and I feel like I have more energy now. I used to have pretty bad GERD too and the soda was a main source of that. Also sleep better now. It's too bad it took me so long to stop drinking that stuff.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I have a few issues like heartburn from drinking or some hair loss and a few aches. But I'm in the shape of my life at 40+ .... actually do cardio and no desire to really drink switched to occasional weed smoke lol.
I actually feel better not obsessing over lifting heavy and other ego bullshit that I care nothing about anymore

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Shit, I packed Aleve today so that if I get a knot in my back from driving and guest beds that I can treat it.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Almost 32 and I am doing fine despite having a minor heart condition since birth and taking beta blockers for years. I dont drink and never smoked anything in my life. I dont go to gym but I exercise and walk a lot. I rarely drive, I walk to work everyday. My health in my 20s was worse, I was eating so poorly and wasnt exercising at all.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
28 and far fitter then I have ever been in my life...but we shall see how long it lasts.

Turrican2

Oct 28, 2017
Hamburg
I am 41 and I am doing fine.
Have been running for the last 20 years (have done my fair amount of Mud races half and full marathons, but I don't race that much anymore) and do some body weight workouts, eat kind of healthy (don't eat that much meat, avoid fast food most of the time as there is mch better food out there) and the only thing I have recognized is the fact that my body needs more time to recover.

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
36 and still keep up with (and often exceed) all the younger people when I play sport. I don't eat particularly healthily but I do a lot of running and some weights etc.
I do feel a bit sorer the next day compared to 10 years ago though. :P

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
yeah, i definitely felt the wheels coming off at around 31 or so in regards to health and other issues. sucks.