• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
No idea if this is actually thread worthy since there seems to be no concrete information about this but people over on GoG.com seem convinced that the person responsible for the recent garbagefire tweets from the GoG Twitter account has been fired. (Also there's no need to read that thread, trust me on this)

It's important to point out that
A. that thread was created on October 27th and
B. Again: there is, as far as I know, no official confirmation or any sort of concrete evidence.

I didn't see a thread about this, maybe because as mentioned above it seems to be all based on speculation. So feel free to close the thread if you feel like this isn't conclusive enough mods. (not that you need my permission for that...).

Personal take, if this is indeed true: Silently firing the guy seems like a weak attempt to sweep this under the rug and avoid further issues without addressing the problems behind those disgusting tweets. Seems more like "You did a bad job cause you got us in trouble" to me, though that's just my interpretation. Better than nothing I guess?

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
we dont really know anything or if that's even the same person.

shrug.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
You were right about not going into that thread, yikes.

If it's true, it's nice to see CDP take step in the right direction, but frankly I'm still annoyed that they never apologized over the last shit. "Fixing" it by quietly firing the dude seems cowardly on their part. We'll see if their PR will stop dropping anti-trans memes.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Quietly firing the person isn't enough and tells me a genderqueer bisexual male that ultimately they just want a scape goat and they don't want to adress the elephant in the room.

So I'm neither pleased nor reassured if it happens to be true.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two things:
  • I refuse to give them the benefit of the doubt short of an official confirmation, they have lost that from me
  • If they have quietly fired the person responsible, that's another symptom of their total lack of empathy and understanding for very real issues, and I wouldn't want to applaud them for it

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Personal take, if this is indeed true: Silently firing the guy seems like a weak attempt to sweep this under the rug and avoid further issues without addressing the problems behind those disgusting tweets. Seems more like "You did a bad job cause you got us in trouble" to me, though that's just my interpretation. Better than nothing I guess?
Well, what do you want them to do? Public shaming?

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • Acknowledge they were in the wrong
  • Acknowledge they have fired the person responsible and dissociate with them
  • Denounce GamerGate and other hate groups
  • Donate some proceeds from a GOG sale or whatever to a Polish LGBT rights group
None of this is an unreasonable ask.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
for a platform only focuses on games, which they have acknowledged and committed too, that sure seems like a whole lot of non gaming drama there

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah seems like something that would be worth confirming publicly, even if it would be better to not name the individual.

Probably the right move to fire the individual responsible, although that might be a manager rather than just the author, depending on their organisational structure.

Ideally they'd post some kind of standards of discourse where they make a clear stance on how they want to conduct their communication as a whole, and embrace accountability.

Edit: and yeah a proper apology then a gesture of some kind would go some way to redeeming their image.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If they fired someond it rises to the level of an apology which they never gave so fuck this company. They dont have to give out names just say the person responsible is no longer with the company

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Too late for me. I already got my account deleted. Took multiple requests and some emailing with a moronic CS rep, but it's done.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
  • Donate some proceeds from a GOG sale or whatever to a Polish LGBT rights group
The last one is going too far, imo. But they have to apologize.

Didn't they criticize GG though? When the Postal thing happened, I remembered a SubredditDrama thread about KiA (the main GG sub) freaking out because of it.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
CD Projekt has made clear its official stance on this issue.

"It was just a joke. Sorry if you were offended. Btw the existence and rights of transgender people is a debate."

If the person who made the original offensive tweets has been fired, then that changes nothing about CDPR's official statements and sentiment.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

A public apology would be nice for a start

Publicly say this was unacceptable, because right now, their official PR on this is a form of quiet endorsement of their transphobic messages.
Oof, just read a bit of it when it happened and I was sure they did apologize. I guess not, so yeah, that's what they should do at least

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I didn't realize their forums were such an open room for alt-right people but at the same time I'm not really surprised.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll believe it when they release a full throated apology about all of their previous tweets.

Yes, all of this for sure. And ideally also highlight games from LGBT developers.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I refuse to give them any benefit of the doubt until they put in the minimum effort of decrying his toxic bullshit. "We'll just focus on games" is not a denouncement of his transphobia.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018

"It was just a joke. Sorry if you were offended. Btw the existence and rights of transgender people is a debate."

If the person who made the original offensive tweets has been fired, then that changes nothing about CDPR's official statements and sentiment.

This just this

Sorry but even if they fired that person especially without coming forward about it and people in forums "guessing" that said person has been fire, given their nonpologies they might as well keep the fucker around , the problem still remains and is still around ...

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a bit of a stretch to believe what these people are saying, but sweeping this under the rug is the worst possible move they can take.

edit: also, vomit at that forum.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yup. There was a time when merely firing the person responsible for the tweets would maybe have been enough. But their statements since have been dug the hole more than a little too deep for that.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright then. Make a statement that you let someone go, proclaim that transphobia and any form of bigotry towards very marginalised groups is wrong and it shouldn't reflect in the companies' culture, and that you're taking active steps to combat this to ensure this shit never happens again. Then maybe I'll soften my stance on you.

Go on, I'm waiting.

Their forums can go die in a fire too.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Don't think it really matters which low paid fallguy they fired when this repeated pattern of behavior and then non-apologies and dogwhistles when they catch heat for it clearly indicates fundamental problems with the work environment.

plau

Oct 30, 2017
Getting rid of the problem quietly is the best bet for them. They've apologized before so doing it again will just encourage people to prolong this drama.

Deleted member 22901

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Getting rid of the problem quietly is the best bet for them. They've apologized before so doing it again will just encourage people to prolong this drama.

But they didn't apologize. They didn't even do the bare minimum of disavowing transphobia, they just made some vague statement about avoiding "ongoing debates".

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This isn't good but not enough. It's more "we are transphobic and are sick of being called out on it so we will fire him so our cultures opinons don't cause controversy, but it's still the culture." That's if this is even real.

And LMFO Page 1 and people already throwing out how they have apologized. If you think those were apologies I might have land to sell in Florida you should look into...

plau

Oct 30, 2017
But they didn't apologize. They didn't even do the bare minimum of disavowing transphobia, they just made some vague statement about avoiding "ongoing debates".
Looking at the tweets quoted above, in another one they apologized and in the other one they acknowleged they made a mistake. They're not gonna mention the word transphobia at all unless forced to. They want to minimize everything, that's why the apology is minimal and not grandiose.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm glad if they did fire them. But I don't know if speculating it does any good to anyone. It seems more like something those who are "sticking it to the SJW:s" would do, because they make up conspiracies and want to be mad. As they already were with any "apology" CD Projekt did to their prior tweets. But yeah, I'll rather not read the thread since I'm pretty sure I know what's it full of. As I already mentioned.
Looking at the tweets quoted above, in another one they apologized and in the other one they acknowleged they made a mistake. They're not gonna mention the word transphobia at all unless forced to. They want to minimize everything, that's why the apology is minimal and not grandiose.
Atleast for the GG stuff that started the trilogy, they called it an abusive movement. But these two later ones didn't go that well.

Last edited:

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

They didn't apologise. "Sorry you were offended" is not an apology.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

A statement saying how the ignorant shitheel that made those comments has been let go and that their thoughts weren't representative of the company at all and that they're sorry to all the people that were hurt by the "joke(s)".

Yeah, no need to turn this into a spectacle. Just them go, and quietly fade away.

Like what people in power want to happen to the LGBTQ..? There should be a stink and this people should be made an example of to show they stand in solidarity with the LGBTQ

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Don't know for you but for me "sorry YOU were offended" is not an apology .

plau

Oct 30, 2017
They didn't apologise. "Sorry you were offended" is not an apology.
Don't know for you but for me "sorry YOU were offended" is not an apology .
What? That tweet says "Sorry to all those offended". I'm not a native English speaker but that is not the same as "Sorry you were offended".

"Sorry you were offended" implies no actual apology. It's pretty much "oh it's so sad you were offended".

"Sorry to all those offended" is just an apology to those who were offended.

Right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.