• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
can't even wish someone the best without getting jumped on...great job internet.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe Chris would pray for his recovery instead of getting his doctorate to help out someone he supposedly looks up to. Fucking selfish if you ask me

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
I don't believe in the healing power of prayer, but I also don't believe in being an asshole. Chris' tweet and thoughts are fine, and people clearly don't get the issue with the GOP "thoughts and prayers" thing.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Taking umbrage against someone praying for a peer in the same industry as them for their personal health is not a worthy thing to be devoting energy to.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Disgusting. Instead of offering worthless thoughts and prayers, Star Lord should have used his magical Celestial healing abilities to cure Kevin Smith of all his ails.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't read the nasty Twitter responses, but maybe he should have just stopped at saying "I'm praying my ass off for you." Because the rest reads as if he's directly responding to the negativity regarding sending your prayers in my opinion.

Wait, did I miss something? What's wrong with praying for someone?
All the politicians sending their prayers to the victims of mass shootings rather than regulating gun purchasing.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
The "I believe in the healing power of prayer" part is weird, but if someone said that shit to me, I'd still know they were genuinely trying to say something kind.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's Twitter. Everyone has to have an opinion on everything. What is the only thing in Pratt's tweet that you can really comment on?

Negativity gets more attention than positivity online (hence this thread) and so what do you think people who follow celebs on twitter are going to resort to in their desperate attempt to be noticed? You see it all the time on twitters of anybody who is remotely famous.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
my solution to the issues that plague social media is to just not use it

these apes you call the human race weren't culturally ready for the internet

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Well makes sense I guess. Thoughts and prayers is ridiculed so much now that even when it's genuine you get some people that go crazy over it. Hope he doesn't apologize or something.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So like a handful of people are dumb on the internet and...what, exactly? Assuming they represent anyone or anything else is a little weird. They're just idiots.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is about the dumbest controversy possible. Why are people such assholes, damn.

Also James Gunn is a stand-out guy.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Gunn articulates it pretty well. I don't believe in prayer or anything, but don't be an asshole to well meaning people.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
"Thoughts and prayers" isn't a problem because praying is bad... it's because it's what the GOP does instead of reducing the chance of stuff happening again.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
God forbid (LOL) he told him he'd pray for him. This is like people who get mad when they're generically told "Merry Christmas" by a low level employee at a Walmart. How fragile one's belief system or ego must be if they feel threatened by what the deliverer feels to be a thoughtful, yet overall innocuous statement.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know how related is with this case, but I will always appreciate the Harambe meme by being a not so subtle criticism towards the social media culture to be outraged just for sake of it

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
That are certain times where "thoughts and prayers" isn't okay or enough but this is not one of those times. Pratt was obviously just trying to be nice here.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God forbid (LOL) he told him he'd pray for him. This is like people who get mad when they're generically told "Merry Christmas" by a low level employee at a Walmart. How fragile one's belief system or ego must be if they feel threatened by what the deliverer feels to be a thoughtful, yet overall innocuous statement.
The merry christmas thing is what came to mind too. People are so militant when it comes to shitting on religion.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
"Thoughts and prayers" isn't a problem because praying is bad... it's because it's what the GOP does instead of reducing the chance of stuff happening again.

People aren't capable of grasping nuance. They don't understand why "thoughts and prayers" from a legislator wrt gun violence is a soulless and harmful gesture, but in the context of wishing someone well it's well -meaning at best, innocuous at worst.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Clearly Chris Pratt should be donating time and money to the doctors and nurses at the hospital, and fighting against the heart attack lobby, rather than offering prayers on Twitter.