• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
https://nl.metrotime.be/2018/09/10/...zoek-naar-ea-voor-loot-boxes-in-spel-fifa-18/

Google translation below:

The Brussels public prosecutor's office is conducting a criminal investigation into the company Electronic Arts because it continues to offer 'loot boxes' in its video games FIFA 18 and 19. The prosecution reports today. 'Loot boxes' are virtual surprise packages that the players can purchase with real money. The Gaming Commission believes that a form of gambling and other game developers already gave up the 'loot boxes'. However, EA refuses to do so. According to the Gaming Commission, the 'loot boxes' are actually an illegal game of chance because players do not know exactly what the treasure box contains when they make a purchase. Happiness determines whether or not you receive a rare object. At the end of August game developer Blizzard stopped at the request of the Commission in our country with the sale of 'loot boxes' in the games Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm and previously developers told Valve and 2K Games 'loot boxes' no longer against real money to offer. Only the fourth big player, EA, does not want to give in.

Andrew Wilson of EA emphasized not to stop the 'loot boxes' for the summer. Also in FIFA 19, which ends at the end of this month, it will be possible to buy treasure boxes. According to Wilson, it is not about gambling, because players know exactly how many objects they get.

The Gaming Commission wants the developer to be sued and EA has already received a pv. The file is now in the hands of the Brussels public prosecutor, who is conducting a criminal investigation.

It was at the end of the last Jim Sterling video

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I can't quite see EA having a leg to stand on here? If it's part of Belgian law then surely they have to comply?

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Those greedy suits are not gonna give up chasing your money without a fight. I hope they fail greatly.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
EA is really putting in the hours for a nomination at 2019's "Worst Company" Award.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ban is going to need to become a bigger, EU wide thing

They can fight and be suborn with smaller countries but they cant tell a entire content to suck it.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How could the belgian government punish EA? removing all games from game stores? do they have the power to control the digital stores that people access on Belgium?

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I will laught until eternity if EA refusing to comply to this law somehow ends up making that more countries Ban lootboxes.

Well if they win or lose it could set an interesting precedent

You can understand why they're shitting themselves, FIFA is their golden goose

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
*sigh*

EA. They really think they are Gods, don't they?
If this really is what EA did, they're going to be in big trouble. In the Benelux the size of your company means very little.
The law is not open to interpretation.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as people keep buying EA games, especially at launch, they'll keep being brazen. Star Wars Battlefront II wasn't as lesson so much as a line that they'll have to be more patient to cross.

Yasamuu

Oct 28, 2017
According to Wilson, it is not about gambling, because players know exactly how many objects they get.

This is highly disingenuous. You're paying for the lootbox (with real money or in-game coins) and you're gambling on the chance of getting a top-rated player but you're more likely to receive players that are relatively worthless. It's absolutely gambling, and knowing the specific odds of getting a top-rated player wouldn't change the fact that it is.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They obviously consulted counsel before they made this decision. My consumer gamer heart is of course saying Eff EA, but my capitalist corporate shark side is impressed that they just said eff it and did it anyway. (They obviously made a cost benefit of the penalty of violating the law, versus the money they make on it, and made a decision accordingly).

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
How could the belgian government punish EA? removing all games from game stores? do they have the power to control the digital stores that people access on Belgium?

Well they can punish them in the same way they would punish any company found breaking gambling laws, which I would imagine to be fines

It's Google translate, so clearly it's not going to be 1 to 1 in terms of accurately

I'd be happy if a native speaker could confirm the translation is accurate though

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just because you know the odds, doesn't mean it isn't gambling wtf kind of defense is that?

It's not gambling in U.K. law because you are buying a known thing for a known amount of money. As in the same as buying sticker packs. You might not get the stickers you want. But you know that in advance. And you do get something for your money. It's been tested and doesn't meet the legal definition of gambling here.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not familiar with Belgian law, but is there a way through this possible lawsuit that EA might be able to get the entire anti-lootbox law rescinded?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I just hope loot boxes are eventually banned from every game. One can dream at least .

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Belgium fines them and gets the EU in on this.

Let's put this abusive shit company in it's place.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Not surprised EA is taking a stand since Fifa is so huge in EU. If one country bans lootboxes, then it's only a matter of time before others follow suit.

/popcorn

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They obviously consulted counsel before they made this decision. My consumer gamer heart is of course saying Eff EA, but my capitalist corporate shark side is impressed that they just said eff it and did it anyway. (They obviously made a cost benefit of the penalty of violating the law, versus the money they make on it, and made a decision accordingly).

Well if they know it's pretty much gambling, and it is, then they either give up now or try their luck with fighting the law

If they lose, then they do as they were told and accept a fine they can easily pay, and if they win, the good days keep on coming

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I'm very happy to see the Belgian gambling commission facing EA in court. Let's hope this convinces other European countries to ban paid loot boxes as well.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
It's not gambling in U.K. law because you are buying a known thing for a known amount of money. As in the same as buying sticker packs. You might not get the stickers you want. But you know that in advance. And you do get something for your money. It's been tested and doesn't meet the legal definition of gambling here.

Wrong country lol. We're not talking about UK.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised by EA on this one. It won't surprise me if other GaaS pubs keep up with this too.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Well, EA certainly has the money to go through the court battles. And a lot of that money came from those loot boxes. I'm not very surprised that they are willing to fight for them.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Go for it EA.. risk the whole EU adopting this law with your stupidity
You were the company that f'd it up in the first place after all... why not go the whole way...

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

According to the Belgian gambling commission, you can't compare these loot boxes with sticker packs because the same amount of each sticker exists. This is not true for items in loot boxes.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Well they can punish them in the same way they would punish any company found breaking gambling laws, which I would imagine to be fines

It's Google translate, so clearly it's not going to be 1 to 1 in terms of accurately

I'd be happy if a native speaker could confirm the translation is accurate though

It mostly is, it even says 'little treasure chests' at the place where it got translated to 'treasure boxes'.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not surprised by EA on this one. It won't surprise me if other GaaS pubs keep up with this too.

I think it is pretty surprising in that the law was made clear to them and they have just said "nah, we're just gonna keep on doing what we want"

Even Valve stopped and did as the law compelled them to do, only releasing a passive aggressive statement saying they disagreed with it

2k stopped and then asked fans to complain to legislators in Belgium, but EA have just ignored the law and kept on trucking