• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Wario64 just discovered this.

The Starhawk servers are apparently shutting down tomorrow according to the Playstation Store. It was first discovered at the end of May but...

1. It's not listed on Sony's official page for shut down games.
  2. Because of this, there's zero coverage of the shutdown.
So instead of publicly noting that yes, Starhawk's servers are going down tomorrow and actually giving prior notice way before then. Sony just quietly added it on the Store page. pretty much guaranteeing that almost everyone wouldn't know until it's too late.

This is straight up bullshit, at least let people know when you're shutting the damn game down instead of just casually letting it die without telling anyone. StarHawk was pretty good from what i played back then too, and i definitely would have came back to it if i knew it was shutting down.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony just does really well with online, it seems.

Starhawk was a pretty cool game. I hope they at least make a new one for PS4.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I had so much fun playing this game. Would definitely be into a rerelease of some sort or even a sequel.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have been doing a not so subtle cleaning before announcing they will just shut off PS3 PSN.

Starhawk totally didnt deliver on the basic idea of "What if Warhawk but SPACE!"

Is Warhawk still up? Now that was the good stuff.

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony announcing it on the store page is probably the most effective manner of warning, actually.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
They should've announced it prior, yes, but i can't be too upset, its a 6 year old last generation shooter than failed to take off and i doubt it has too much of a player base left.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How in the world is an online game being closed down without notice something that people are able to defend?

twisted heart

Oct 25, 2017
They can still play the superior game Warhawk but yeah not many people were playing Starhawk like 3 mouths after launch because it wasn't that good unfortunately.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I guess the number of people using the servers are low enough not to warrant a big announcement.
They should make a blog post, I believe, but at least they tell people planning to buy the game on the store so it's not too bad.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
They should just de-list it, then. Game is pretty much online-only, right? Why would anyone want to buy a copy with the servers shut down?

There is a campaign but it's pretty awful. Though as long as the store makes it clear the offline is off it's probably fine to leave it up there since it doesn't cost them anything and someone at some point might have some strange reason for wanting to play it.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People likely don't even play the game much because it was regarded as a poor continuation/spiritual successor to Warhawk and it sold poorly as well, so this rage seems unnecessary honestly. People should be grateful the servers have stayed up for it as long as they have. More successful games have been shut down much sooner than this. Honestly speaking, what would an announcement have done? This incident speaks of how little the gaming community would've cared about the news if Sony opted to just quietly disband it.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Starhawk definitely wasn't as good as Warhawk.

Warhawk was amazing. Man I wish Sony would start experimenting with multiplayer again, they did cool shit last gen when they did.

jackissocool

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
Yeah, Starhawk definitely wasn't as good as Warhawk.

Warhawk was amazing. Man I wish Sony would start experimenting with multiplayer again, they did cool shit last gen when they did.
I think they might have just totally ceded that space to big F2P games like Fortnite. It's a shame, because they really *did* make some awesome stuff. Warhawk is absolutely the stand out for me (best oonline multiplayer ever?) but stuff like Motorstorm, Resistance, Killzone hitting its stride, MAG, Twisted Metal. Even God of War had multiplayer, and it wasn't that bad!

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they might have just totally ceded that space to big F2P games like Fortnite. It's a shame, because they really *did* make some awesome stuff. Warhawk is absolutely the stand out for me (best oonline multiplayer ever?) but stuff like Motorstorm, Resistance, Killzone hitting its stride, MAG, Twisted Metal. Even God of War had multiplayer, and it wasn't that bad!
Yeah dude. Sony's multiplayer stuff was so cool and experimental. Like, they were legit trying different things from the rest of the market, which just tried to dupe Halo (and then CoD). Warhawk was the standout, but yeah, Killzone, Resistance, MAG!
Now they don't even bother, which is a shame.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Never did play StarHawk despite spending a ridiculous amount of hours in StarHawk.

Would love another WarHawk for this generation.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Their first-party multiplayer push last-gen didn't get a lot of results, and this is one of those I think is just out of necessity. The current-gen shutdowns are the ones that confuse me. I don't like their so-so support for online features they control.

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
This game was dead to me once I realized there was no LAN. Warhawk was awesome in that regard.

jackissocool

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
Fun fact:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-NPUA80077_00-WARHAWKSCEA07073

Warhawk was the very first console game ever released on retail and digital simultaneously...it released on August 28th, 2007 at a time when the only way to play full-fledged console games was through physical retail....and full-fledged console games didn't start releasing properly on digital networks until 2009.

I imagine Warhawk will be one of the last servers to go just because of the importance it had on the industry. They'll shut it down eventually, though.
Warhawk servers are also hosted on player PS3s and it has a surprisingly good player population for its age.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should have probably put something up on the blog but it's not a big deal really. Who is playing starhawk at all let alone online right now?

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is really on a roll lately

Get it together for Christs sake.

I used to love me some Warhawk, that was prime pre cinematic Sony as far as I'm concerned.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Warhawk still up? I know it's all hosted by players now so I don't think they'll take down the maste servers.