• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I have been a huge proponent of Stadia since the service launched because the tech is mind-blowingly good, but this is a bunch of bullshit. Just sell the tech to MS so they can make the very necessary improvements to xCloud and let's all move on.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
So devs gets a time-based cut of 70% of the revenue from a premium service for something that nobody uses...

I don't know why more developers aren't jumping at this wonderful opportunity.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
I give like almost every company the benefit of the doubt about products. But there is one exception and that is Google. Stadia is the next one in their line of failed products that are gonna get killed.. And it seems they are slowly getting there with pissing people off

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Lol @ making that the only payment. Why on earth would any dev or publisher give their game away for that?

As for them changing the contracts, if I had a game with an agreed payment and they tried to switch it to that, I'd just cancel the deal.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I feel bad for people who invested in this platform, because ultimately, Google will kill it, use the tech for something else, and move on without blinking. It seems to be their MO these days. I can't understand how people invest in Google hardware, considering their track record for support is so abysmal (comparatively to those in competing industries).

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Dang. Didn't Harmonix agree to develop a game? Hate to see them possibly get screwed over. They feel like a developer always in trouble.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
So when people pay the initial purchase price of the game on Stadia none of that is going to the dev or publisher? If so that's freaking insanity, why would anyone pay for games on that platform if they're actually interested in supporting a dev?

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
What fuck is that shit? For real "We coming in good faith, but we reserve the right to change our minds when we feel like it"
In law, this is called an "illusory bargain." It's usually enough to get out of a contract if you're the victim of such a scheme.

Easier said than done, unfortunately.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
This is the scummiest thing I've heard of in a while, good lord. How the fuck is it even legal to write a contract like that?

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I hope every dev pulls support for Stadia. This practice is gross and leads to exploitative practices on players.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
What's more, we're told some of those with upcoming Pro deals had their guaranteed up-front $ for being a Stadia Pro title switched to be 'variable revenue based on Pro split', even though they had lump sums written in their original contracts.
How many Stadia Pro subs could there be tbh? 50,000? I feel like these "variable payments" will end up being peanuts. This feels like Google trying to get the game devs to advertise the platform for them since they'll make more if people play through Stadia, but I don't think this will end up working in the end

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Dang. Didn't Harmonix agree to develop a game? Hate to see them possibly get screwed over. They feel like a developer always in trouble.
Them and Supermassive were making exclusives for Stadia. But it's been like a year and a half and neither the devs nor google confirm it's still happening. Considering they were exclusives they were likely going to be published by Stadia Games and Entertainment, which is what Google already killed off in February. My guess is that those contracts were just cancelled.

Calius

May 21, 2021
Leaving my thoughts aside for Google Stadia anywho- how in Gods name is doing this going to help Public Views on Google and their major entry into gaming.

Seems like shoddy management to me

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Is this something just for smaller indie devs, or are they trying to pull this across the board with big publishers too?

I could easily see the majority of devs take their ball and go home rather than stick around for such a scummy deal, especially big publishers. And then Google will have an excuse to say they "didn't have any support" from devs and publishers and that's why they had to pull the plug on something they were "never" going to pull the plug on.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The way Stadia does multiplayer is going to make it really hard to hit big engagement numbers. It's not really a gacha heavy platform either so I don't know what they're expecting.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Well I guess this should be a pretty good indicator of where things are headed for Stadia Pro. Unless devs have a clear time-sink design for their games, they won't want to jump on that service. Seems like Google just isn't interested in competing

May 25, 2019
London
The positioning of Xcloud and Stadia just goes to show you how important it is to have the right executive/voice to steer the product

Everybody would probably agree that Stadia's tech is better, but I'm using Xcloud on a semi regular basis and have never subscribed to Stadia

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The positioning of Xcloud and Stadia just goes to show you how important it is to have the right executive/voice to steer the product

Everybody would probably agree that Stadia's tech is better, but I'm using Xcloud on a semi regular basis and have never subscribed to Stadia

The thing is that it's not that huge of an undertaking for Microsoft to improve xCloud's actual streaming tech as it goes. It takes a massive investment and years of losses to build up an actual platform and ecosystem, and the relationships/infrastructure (not cloud infrastructure) that goes along with it, and THAT is the work Google aren't doing.

Stadia undoubtedly have a superior actual streaming experience right now, but I would bet all of my money on xCloud to prevail because of the above, if I had to choose one.

Stadia feels like a service where Google felt like they could just saunter into the gaming industry because they are Google, and anything they launched would be a success because Google. They fundamentally failed to understand the industry they were entering.

May 25, 2019
London
The thing is that it's not that huge of an undertaking for Microsoft to improve xCloud's actual streaming tech as it goes. It takes a massive investment and years of losses to build up an actual platform and ecosystem, and the relationships/infrastructure (not cloud infrastructure) that goes along with it, and THAT is the work Google aren't doing.

Stadia undoubtedly have a superior actual streaming experience right now, but I would bet all of my money on xCloud to prevail because of the above, if I had to choose one.

Stadia feels like a service where Google felt like they could just saunter into the gaming industry because they are Google, and anything they launched would be a success because Google. They fundamentally failed to understand the industry they were entering.

Completely agree with all of your points. xCloud is able to survive right now even if the actual streaming tech is not first class because they have made it part of their ecosystem, and not the entire focus. People are willing to give them time to sort it out because it's purely a value add for them at this point.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
It's very careful wording: they're arguing Pro revenue will be additional to game sale revenue (presumably from non-Pro subscribers). There's nothing on guaranteed lump sums in exchange for making your game available for all active Pro subscribers.
Ah, ok. So it's the initial lump sum that developers may not be getting from previous agreements for putting their game on Pro. They'll still get the new 85/15 split that Google is introducing from sales in addition to the 70 split from Pro if they put their game free for Pro subscribers.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Close all of your first party studios, piss off the few third parties willing to put titles on your platform. A+ strategy.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Disgusting way to burn off their limited goodwill. This won't help attract developers in the future but drive them away.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Breaking promises is gross, especially for a company as rich as google. Stadia has been a massive disaster.

Also, engagement-based payouts is the death of creativity

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
So when people pay the initial purchase price of the game on Stadia none of that is going to the dev or publisher? If so that's freaking insanity, why would anyone pay for games on that platform if they're actually interested in supporting a dev?
As I understand it, the deal is unchanged for games bought outright on Stadia. The change is in the compensation for allowing a game to be free with Stadia Pro.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Nope, with these round of changes Google actually increased the amount devs/pubs get by 15 percent (85/15 split) which will start in October. They'll still get a split from game sales plus the additional Pro 70 percent split if they put their game free for Pro subscribers. From how this reads it sounds like (if true) then some developers were promised a lump sum one-time payout to put their game free on Pro but will now be put on the 70 percent revenue sharing and not get a lump sum.

EDIT: Stadia is not really a "Netflix-style" business model so the Pro library is a relatively small library compared to the titles you can buy (signing up now gets you around 30 from their library of around 200, Pro titles can be bought as well) and is populated mostly by smaller/indie titles.

Last edited:

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I can only assume most posters in the thread thought the same as you, thus the extreme sky-is-falling responses. But no, this is a change just for the handful of future games booked to appear "free" on Pro (their service akin to Games with Gold or PS Plus)
Isn't this that thing people were worried Gamepass would do? Look how that's gonna go...
As mentioned in a recent thread, this is exactly what Game Pass does already. For every game at the start, now for only some of them after some devs didn't go for it - and Phil hopes most will go for engagement-based methods in the future.

Dec 11, 2017
13-F06-E53-3-CD6-4-E2-C-9-F2-C-69-D35-F905646.png

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
How much damage can google do poisoning the well for future companies who try to make streaming the right way?

Xcloud being tightly integrated into gamepass in advertising makes sense now as gamepass has the goodwill to weather these storms (and the fact they keep saying it's a beta to sidestep all these comparisons too)

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Ah, ok. So it's the initial lump sum that developers may not be getting from previous agreements for putting their game on Pro. They'll still get the new 85/15 split that Google is introducing from sales in addition to the 70 split from Pro if they put their game free for Pro subscribers.
Just so there's no confusion later.

The 85/15 split is only for the first 3 million, so that's up to 450k, assuming your game gets to 3 million in revenue.

The 70% Pro Revenue split will be for all Pro games so it's not actually going to be 70% but a small part of it, where the slice will be bigger based on how many people play your game that month and how many session days (log in at least once that day) that game accrues. So it'll largely favor the big/popular games and/or the games that give you reasons to log in daily.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
I hoped that Google could have brought something to this industry: maybe found some could games, establish new studios, bring to light new creatives/talent people, easier development tools, etcétera.

I was excited after seeing Google Stadia presentation.

But, they only proved how much they don't understand about the product they are launching.

pcigre

Aug 19, 2019
I feel bad for people who invested in this platform, because ultimately, Google will kill it, use the tech for something else, and move on without blinking. It seems to be their MO these days. I can't understand how people invest in Google hardware, considering their track record for support is so abysmal (comparatively to those in competing industries).

I invested in Stadia. Got couple games that I played and loved. If Google turns servers off, they would have to refund me paid games as per their refund policy, so I wouldn't mind much, I would just move to GFN or xCloud.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Changing their contract is just a really low move. Especially from a company with so much money like Google.

Good luck finding devs to work with you given the amount of users they have and now the conditions