• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Due to some unforeseen family bullshittery and nonsense I will be without housing this week...

Anyone have some good tips as far as resources go, I'm zero income right now (awaiting cash assistance while SSDI takes it sweet ass time) and I'll be checking out a few local shelters Monday.

Any thought or foresight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017
No useful knowledge but just wanted to wish you the best. Stay safe and I hope everything comes together so on for you.

Fireclad

Oct 27, 2017
The Void
All I can offer is my empathy. I went through something similar. I was kicked out of my parents place a few years ago and was living off a sack of clothes with everything else in storage. At the time I got lucky and an ex girlfriend was willing to let me crash in her spare oversized closet area. So sleeping on hardwood floor with some couch cushions was better than having to sleep in my car.

You'll make it through this. It just might kinda suck for a while. :(

I don't know much about resources but see what you can do about getting as many clothes together in a garbage bag or something, finding a consistent place to get a shower and then job hunt like crazy. It's a pain getting back on your feet, and it'll probably feel like your world is ending for a while, but keep at it.

m o n s t e r

Oct 25, 2017
under your bed
Hey, OP! v.o.n said a lot of good stuff!
I was fortunate to have known enough people to couch surf, but I was also 17 at the time so I didn't have much available to me.
I hope things go well for you.
Also, if need be, find shelters to sleep at. Churches also might be of assistance. Lots of people looking to get some cred with God and helping people who need it. They might be able to help you sleep some were, eat, etc. I know I used to get my food from churches.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
7/11 for free napkins, bathroom, crackers, tea bags, honey, salt, pepper, sugar, hot sauce, coffee shots, etc etc. All that stuff is legitimately free for you to take. I mean, they probably want you to buy at least one thing but they don't usually care.

There's also a 'salad bar' of sorts for the hot dogs and stuff. Onions, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, pickles, and the like.

Sorry don't know what else to say but I've been broke as hell and 7/11 had saved my ass. Even the chili is free from the dispenser; it's for the hot dogs too. Just bring your own cup LOL

Godspeed!

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you have any other family that you can stay with?

Regardless, I think you should consider seeing a social worker. I admittedly don't know much about how social welfare programs work in this country, but I feel like someone in your situation should be getting unemployment or a welfare check of some kind. A social worker will definitely be able to answer questions like that. I found this aggregate link for welfare services in Springfield, MA: http://www.welfareinfo.org/springfield.ma. Hopefully one of those numbers can help you.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Damn, I don't have any personal advice but I do have RL friends who currently live as drifters crashing at multiple friends' places at a time, I even hosted as once. Advice I can offer (though I'm unsure if its available at your state) is locating and visiting soup kitchens/food pantries for a source of regular sustenance. Of course having friends to crash at is a huge boon, but if its possible to obtain some semblance of a normal routine and/or shelter I'd highly recommend that path.

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
Shelter should be the very first thing. I was lucky in finding a "permanent" shelter that will keep you as long as youre trying to work or disabled. Also try to get into a Second Chances program while you're in a shelter. It's like halfway house for those trying to get back on their feet which I utilized for a few months.

Second is getting on food stamps. An online application plus a quick interview a few days later.

Do you have a PayPal or GoFundMe or something? PM your info to me and I'll slide you a little cash.

OP
OP
Dicer

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do have EBT, and don't have to pay for storage so those two thing help for sure, it's just the suddenness of ti that's really hitting me. I'll be hitting the streets Monday and hopefully I can get something be cause as of wed morning I am flying solo. Thank you all for all the advice and kind words so far :)

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to hear that. I was homeless for a time after my parents kicked me out (needless to say we are longer on speaking terms).

Try calling city hall or any other civil phone number for your city, some places will put you up in a hotel if the shelters are full/not safe.

Depending on where you are, make sure you dress in layers (it can get COLD at night this time of year). Newspapers can add some extra insulation in a pinch. If you have to sleep outside, make sure it's not directly on the ground. Put something down first. Finding a sleeping bag should also be a priority. Also, it is safer to sleep in an open area around people.

Avoid conflict at all times. Many shelters already have turf picked out by regulars. Be as respectful as possible, you do not want to get into a fight.

Carry some water bottles, you can refill these pretty much anywhere.

It's possible to find good food being thrown away outside resaurants/grocery stores, but be careful as you may not be the only one that has scoped out that spot. Find out where all the food banks are.

If you can afford a cheap gym membership, get one. You will need to shower. Some bigger gas stations also offer showers for a small fee.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
You're in surprisingly good spirits given your situation. Hopefully that will work to your benefit.

Do you have any money at all?

Also, are you going to become temporarily homeless or indefinitely homeless?

OP
OP
Dicer

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're in surprisingly good spirits given your situation. Hopefully that will work to your benefit.

Do you have any money at all?

Also, are you going to become temporarily homeless or indefinitely homeless?

I'm in good spirits because I've had some pretty intensive therapy, I tried to commit suicide in June and spent a week in respit and then a month in day programs, and now I see a therapist once a week...those tools help me keep a good out look when things are shit.

I'm pretty bottom of the barrel cash wise, trying to keep the phone on, as it's gonna be my only means of communications for the short term.

I'll hopefully find out what my short term situation will be the next few weekdays, as they say time will tell...

I'm not usually one to open up to people about this crap but I needed some solace and any ideas that I haven't thought of. I'd work but I have pretty bad tremors (and possibly early onset Parkinson's) so that really limits what I can do. No one wants to hire a twitchy person in this employment climate.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I used to fundraise for a homeless shelter and many of the people there were just transitioning while they waited for assistance benefits to kick in, so you're not alone in that situation. Most shelters nowadays have case-workers on site who'll help you navigate your benefits needs and help you find subsidized or low-cost housing once you do get enough income to move out.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Due to some unforeseen family bullshittery and nonsense I will be without housing this week...

Anyone have some good tips as far as resources go, I'm zero income right now (awaiting cash assistance while SSDI takes it sweet ass time) and I'll be checking out a few local shelters Monday.

Thanks.

Try perusing r/homeless on reddit. I could swear there was another reddit subforum dedicated to giving tips out to people about to be homeless but that one should help too.

I know people don't like reddit but it does have a lot of people from very varying backgrounds who probably can help with stuff like this (people who have been there or are there who have formed ways of dealing with it).

(Sorry, that's the best help I can be but I do think it would be useful)

Doorakz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might also want to look into United Way. Usually they're good for basic needs and work with a lot of local organizations.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Are you able to, or do you have any friends that could set up crowdfunding for you? It's worth a try, at least.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks.

Been there, it sucks, we told my son we were on a camping trip at the time.

The only way it gets worse is if you help it get worse.

The way we got back on our feet was we moved to a cheap as shit red state. If you want to (and can as you mention SSDI) work leave MA, go somewhere were $10 an hour is a livable wage.

OP
OP
Dicer

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Been there, it sucks, we told my son we were on a camping trip at the time.

The only way it gets worse is if you help it get worse.

The way we got back on our feet was we moved to a cheap as shit red state. If you want to (and can as you mention SSDI) work leave MA, go somewhere were $10 an hour is a livable wage.

I've been thinking of relocating but again, that takes money as well. I just wanna get back on my feet a bit before I ponder any relocation.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking of relocating but again, that takes money as well. I just wanna get back on my feet a bit before I ponder any relocation.
Yea we had a car and we just left NY, went to and lived at a campground until we had enough to pay $600 per month rent on a 2 bedroom. Furnished with nasty furniture from the salvation army. 10 years later we are worth a couple of million (luck and white privilege take most of the credit).

But whether your measure of success is wealth, family, friends or happiness, generally once you are homeless (or family-less) it can only get better.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Sorry to hear that! I have sometimes lived a little too carefree about finances in my life and had similar circumstances. Used a combination of my youth, car, savings and attractiveness to keep a roof over my head once or twice. Be smart and good luck :)

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Stay safe man. If you don't have a car or friends who will let you crash while you figure things out, I hope the shelters nearby will be adequate. Here's hoping things improve quickly for you. What's the apartment rate like where you live? Affordable? Could you find some roommates on craigslist? I know, I guess I did just say to "stay safe..."

OP
OP
Dicer

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yea we had a car and we just left NY, went to and lived at a campground until we had enough to pay $600 per month rent on a 2 bedroom. Furnished with nasty furniture from the salvation army. 10 years later we are worth a couple of million (luck and white privilege take most of the credit).

But whether your measure of success is wealth, family, friends or happiness, generally once you are homeless (or family-less) it can only get better.

I'm a person of simple needs, a small place I can call my own, most of my family is gone, so it's just me trying to keep afloat.

Sorry to hear that! I have sometimes lived a little too carefree about finances in my life and had similar circumstances. Used a combination of my youth, car, savings and attractiveness to keep a roof over my head once or twice. Be smart and good luck :)

I'm sadly old, carless and farting dust in the cash department....

Stay safe man. If you don't have a car or friends who will let you crash while you figure things out, I hope the shelters nearby will be adequate. Here's hoping things improve quickly for you. What's the apartment rate like where you live? Affordable? Could you find some roommates on craigslist? I know, I guess I did just say to "stay safe..."

The housing rater for a "room" is reasonable, about $100-$125 a week. it's just a matter of having the funds available.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I honestly wish I could help. I'm on SSDI myself and I'm in the middle of a move from Florida to Oregon. I'm afraid all I can offer are my well wishes and an open ear for you to talk to.

TideSwayer

Oct 27, 2017
Check out the bulletin boards in your local markets and other nearby places of commerce (ie. laundromat, etc.). Could have people offering some under-the-table jobs/tasks for some quick cash. You might be able to find someone who needs an extra hand moving or with yardwork or something.

In any case, hope you land on your feet Dicer.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
Try selling some stuff quickly to get enough cash to give yourself a little more time to find a solution? Games, consoles, anything like that you should be able to move pretty quickly. I notice you said you'd spent a few hours on Mario Odyssey - your game/console? Easy money right there if so. I know it sucks, but priorities are priorities and hopefully you'll have chance to re-buy it all once you're back on your feet.

diablos991

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sell everything you own that's worth anything. Use that money to secure employment and temporary transportation. Rebuild from there.

Deleted member 12379

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you are serious about shelters you need to call every single day. I was almost homeless living near Boston a few years ago. Most shelters have extremely long waiting lists. It's starting to get cold outside too. If you ever find yourself closer to the greater boston area and want me PM me feel free. Hell if you just want to chat hit me up as well.

OP
OP
Dicer

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Try selling some stuff quickly to get enough cash to give yourself a little more time to find a solution? Games, consoles, anything like that you should be able to move pretty quickly. I notice you said you'd spent a few hours on Mario Odyssey - your game/console? Easy money right there if so. I know it sucks, but priorities are priorities and hopefully you'll have chance to re-buy it all once you're back on your feet.

Pretty much anything gaming related is out the door already (miss you PVM :/ ) and anything else of any worth is awaiting buyers hopefully, I'm down to the pretty bare bones as it is...been using that money to keep the phone on and such. Mario was a gift right before all this nonsense came to a head. If you un-link the switch do you lose all the digital stuff, because that would be pretty terrible.

Scarlet Death

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I was homeless for a few years recently until May. There's always a gaggle of different places to get food, showers, and free toiletries if you are in a big ish city.

OP
OP
Dicer

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tomorrow I'll be hitting the pavement and looking into my local resources, will update if anything positive comes out of it...

Again, thanks to everyone for the support so far.

Broseybrose

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck Dicer... I myself only have a place to live due to the graciousness of my parents.

I know it aint easy, but I hope you learn a lot, grow a lot, and come out the other end of this with style!

GreatestHits

Oct 28, 2017
I listened to a lot of led zeppelin and stole a lot of wine when I was homeless

My advice is to befriend your family again. Even if they are republicans

bamelin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP I worked with street involved youth.

First off how old are you. There are adult shelters but also shelters for youth. If you can, get into the youth shelters. Slightly less drug problems more financial supports.

AhmadCookie8

Oct 27, 2017
Shelter should be the very first thing. I was lucky in finding a "permanent" shelter that will keep you as long as youre trying to work or disabled. Also try to get into a Second Chances program while you're in a shelter. It's like halfway house for those trying to get back on their feet which I utilized for a few months.

Second is getting on food stamps. An online application plus a quick interview a few days later.

Do you have a PayPal or GoFundMe or something? PM your info to me and I'll slide you a little cash.
I don't know if the OP replied to this, but you are a great help. I wish the best for him/her.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ouch and you are in MA. As someone that lives in a low income area in mass just please stay away from the bad people. We have a terrible problem with the homeless around my area and from what I hear Springfield isn't a while lot better. I hope you can keep us updated and please stay safe. I wish I could help you out in some way.

Deleted member 7529

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm from Canada so chances are my advice is worthless but here's some things I learned from being homeless a couple months ago.

If you're uncertain of how long you'll be homeless for, you may be able to hop from shelter to shelter. Often, a shelter will only house you for a month, but you're able to work around this by hopping back and forth between shelters. I don't recommend this because I've heard stories that it's easy for people to fall into the habit of abusing this system and staying homeless.

If for whatever reason your shelter doesn't offer meals, visit food banks. Hell, visit them anyway as cereal can be a filling snack.

Public Library's are both a great resource and way to spend your time. They're usually equipped with free water refill machines which are incredible for staying hydrated through the day, and they have computers set up that you can use for seeking employment or housing. You can also watch library DVD's on them or listen to music, which is a good way to relax a bit.

Mall bathrooms are your friend.

First off how old are you. There are adult shelters but also shelters for youth. If you can, get into the youth shelters. Slightly less drug problems more financial supports.

Seconding this great advice, it's definitely worth looking into!