• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
If it ever gets a sequel that improves in a few areas, that game would become one of my favorite games ever. Like Kyle, we needed more Kyle.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't get into it. When I wasn't fighting the camera during combat I was busy getting smacked by an unseen enemy while in the middle of a counter or perfect call which was incredibly frustrating. Also managing two characters wasn't fun for me. I got really excited when you
merge with your legion
but it happens so late in the game and takes forever to be able to do it again.

The story was ho hum and predictable. Didn't feel super worth the time I spent on it.

I specifically got the nintendo voucher for the game and it feels like I wasted it honestly. I've got one more game I can redeem so there's that at least.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I just got to File 10, and this legit is the first time I have been genuinely interested in what's going on in the story instead of passively going from one beat to the next.

This is the kind of thing you save for a midway point of the story (which means I believe that they should have cut out a shit-ton of filler or slow story-telling up to now), because given how many chapters are left, I have the sinking feeling that the game is just going to run out of time before they have the chance to explore any of this.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Personally it's one of the most disappoint games I've played in recent memory. The combat's grading system is incredibly lenient and centered around simply just summoning each legion once that it kills any desire to try and "master" it even if it can feel fun, the story is really lackluster and heavily brought down by the silent protagonist and I got sick of the cube dimension that 4th time you visit it, not to mention the city areas are only made up of 4 reused sectors.
And also attacked by the same boss 4 times.

If you enjoyed it more power to you but I hope a possible sequel can really fix some of these things before I even consider touching it day one.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
If it ever gets a sequel that improves in a few areas, that game would become one of my favorite games ever. Like Kyle, we needed more Kyle.
Oh absolutely, the potential is there.

Especially in the Astral Plane. For an infinite dimension that "absorbs" and "archives" matter and life-forms from the normal dimension, they could really up the visual variety and expand AP segments into full-fledged Zelda dungeons.

I enjoyed Zeldalite elements and finding secrets in those segments, but their visual uniformity brought them down a notch.

They have the license to go buck-wild with the plane, which doesn't give a shit about stuff like physics.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it but with Platiunum games I prefer Bayo 1 and 2 and Revengeance more.

Solid game though, really liked the music and the customisation (even if there were fewer clothing options than I had hoped) and it was really interesting with the two character combat stuff. The "platforming" sucked though always felt inconsistant with the jumps.

Oct 25, 2017
The story was rough, and I honestly thought the puzzles got extremely repetitive and dragged in the later stages of the game.

Look the visual design, OST, and combat though

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
i feel like platforming would be less of an issue for some people if they disabled collision during the zipping animation for anything that is not directly intended as an obstacle to maneuver around. A mere guard rail shouldn't be foiling me.

Also would have been wise of them to give you an actual sync prompt with a brief input window to avoid damage when you do fall off.

I for one enjoyed the platforming, mostly due to it's fairly unique game feel. The issues with the collisions were minimized by being careful about lining up my chain jumps, but yeah, please polish it up some more.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was interesting but the gameplay was frustrating as having fight between the camera and the poor platforming section.

I had more fun with PlatinumGames other games.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Currently residing at #3 on my list behind Sekiro and RE2:Remake. (Zelda: LA is 4th and Luigi's Mansion 3 is climbing although I am still early in that one. Still have Control and Jedi Fallen Order to get to by the end of the year as well, will probably not get to Death Stranding and Outer Worlds until next year sometime.)

I'm not comparing it to BOTW in terms of play style or overall quality, but like BOTW I had a lot of complaints about it, but the overall positives of what it does well far outweigh them and make this truly stellar.

I actually didn't have much trouble with the platforming or collecting the red stuff. The stealth parts I really disliked though.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Good 8/10 for me too. Didn't finish it though I plan to do so sometime.

Great music and atmosphere, middling story. unmemorable characters and shouldn't-be-there stealth sections.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I'm enjoying it a lot as well. I've been playing this game at the same time as Luigi Mansion 3, DMC5 and Battlefield 5, so it hasn't gotten repetitive. AC is my happy place. The game is just so pretty, silly and action-packed.

I know this is going to sound like blasphemy, but I'm liking it a lot more than DMC5 at the moment.

Feb 15, 2019
I thought it was good when I finished it back in August, but thinking back on it now I only really liked the combat and literally nothing else except for the OST. The game was way too forgiving with its scores and thus it felt like I could just do whatever I wanted and still get S rankings and felt way too easy. The story was just bad and the characters asides from Marie completely forgettable. The sidequests and minigames were for the most part pretty bad (though I did actually found the sidequest where you had to kick the football back to the kids and then score a goal afterwards to be quite charming). And the astral plane was just bland and unfun to be in. So definitely not my GOTY.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Astral Chain is fucking great. Fire Emblem *was* my penciled-in GOTY, but Death Stranding is making a very strong case early on.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Adored it and it would probably be my GOTY if I hadn't finally jumped on the Bayonetta train this year.

Bayonetta 2 is absolutely spectacular and the best game I've played in 2019. Great music, incredible boss fights, lots of environmental variety, outlandish set pieces, crunchy combat and a main character I can't get enough of. I could talk your ear off about that game.

Luigi's Mansion 3 had made a late claim to the runner-up spot, but I think Astral Chain probably just edges it out... maybe.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Looking forward to playing it eventually in 5 years when the price goes down. Hey, same with Xenoblade Chronicles 2!

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
They're very different experiences, so it's completely understandable why you would prefer one over the other....and vice versa for someone else.
Yeah, I don't perceive AC as the same type of action game as DMC.

It's combat system shares lots of DNA with character action games, despite being largely it's own thing, but this game is more of a generalized action-adventure game, really.

Of course, one can always subscribe to Gamingbrit's take on things and say that they are all just action games.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
As a person who bought Astral Chain on launch day, I cant really share the same sentiment - AC was probably my biggest disappointment all year.

Between the promises of Platinum quality gameplay and the 90s anime aesthetic (plus RPG lite segues that promised some variety) I figured there was no way this game would not be great. Yet it just left me cold, I finally stopped around 5 hours in and havent come back to it since.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
I think its my GOTY right now kinda by default, which is kinda disappointing because I thought the second half of the story was pretty garbo. Every other game I played has just let me down a bit more, I haven't played anything too special by my tastes this year.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I was immediately put off when I read about the technical issues and the lack of surround sound. Seems like one of the weaker Platinum games if the pacing and the camera are that bad too.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think AC is a great game and a very much needed breath of fresh air in the genre. DMCV was the perfection of a combat formula but forfeited everything else. AC´s campaign was much more varied and enjoyable, the combat system lands in a great spot between Bayonetta and TW101, the post-game content was amazing...but it also has many more and more severe rough edges.

I like both games for different reasons and I´ve had an amazing time enjoying both of them.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying it so far and it's my first Platinum game I've played. But so far I think I enjoy DMC / NG / GoW combat much more.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Its good but I have played better Platinum games. If Vanquish was not GOTY, this is sure as hell not GOTY.