• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE2 Remake for me. Gears 5 may change that.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I beat it today and have mixed feelings. The combat is really complex and sometimes frustrating, so I end up randomly mashing attack and dodge and L2 for the sync attacks. I suppose I grew fonder of it over time though, and in general I like the puzzles/investigations and even the platforming to an extent. It's just a little non-intuitive at times. The story is also pretty stupid - lot of wasted potential there. Bayonetta is superior on all fronts, and has humor to boot, but I am happy with my purchase nonetheless. Can't call it GOTY even having not played anything outside of the Switch for 2019 games (currently the title is going to Fire Emlem).

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I just cant stop playing astral chain. The game just get better and better. Chapter 10 here I go.

the game has a pace the recalls Okami a lot. Maybe I'm crazy but it serms okami witouth the overwolrd.

just the cities and the dungeons. Iunderstand why some people wont like it, but it's damn good to me. It'll be hard to top this.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I like Platinum exploring a bit and not making yet another not-Bayonetta, but this game just wasn't it. It's their first non-licensed game that I didn't like.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Bogged down for me by investigating. Stopped on chapter 11 and don't plan on getting back into it.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Chapter 9 was without a doubt the most intence action sequence this year.
Chapter 11 is an incredible epic succession of fights that peaks in an amazing final boss (Bayo 2's final section is nothing compared to this).

The best thing about AC is its enemy variety. The game introduces new enemy types even in sidemissions...
My biggest complaint is there are only two bike sections... i wanted more.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Prolly has my favorite OST of the year at the very least.

Game's really good, the combat system is inspired, but all the side missions are a real drag, the epitome of this being File 8. File 9 was pretty fucking amazing though. Not done with the game yet, but I hope it ends on a high note. Well, at least combat-wise. As far as the story goes, I've already accepted that it is clearly not the strong point of this game. I mean, I knew it wasn't gonna touch Nier or anything, but it's still pretty bad tbh

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It's up there for me.
Sekiro is #1. I'd probably put Astral Chain a close second though

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I like AssChain, but I don't love it. I like the idea of investigating then getting into action, but I find the pacing of how PG structured the game a bit off, maybe too slow. I feel the game is in a weird midpoint of being not quite a NieR Automata like RPG and not quite a cuhrayzee action game, and it doesn't commit enough to either direction.

Shiranui93

One Winged Slayer
Mar 7, 2018
The game could have been much better. Everything aside from the combat and the astral planes is boring. It feels bloated and should havd been a 7 hour game.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I liked astral chain, but I think it's 8 or 8.5/10 at best

it never quite hits those "whoa" peaks that something needs to be a GOTY contender imo

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just on file 11 now so nearly finished. I've really enjoyed it. It's definitely a bit uneven and probably five hours too long, but definitely worth playing through. When you get on a role with the combat it's great.

I'd probably say an 7.5 or 8/10.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Really liked it, first Platinum game I've ever finished.
But for me the lack of visual variety, some tiredness of the gameplay at the last third, and some... less than elegant controls drops it down a notch.
Also, Luigi's Mansion 3 just released.
So no.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna lie. I read the OP, but not the rest of the thread.

Astral Chain is 100% a top3 game for me. But what I will say about it, is that it has MOMENTS that make me feel as though it is ABSOLUTELY the game of the year. And so many of those moments. When it clicks, is clicks so fucking hard. But as a whole? I'm not sure. But I'm personally kind of including DQ11S which probably shouldn't be included.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
For me a high (but not too high) 80s MC score is kinda spot on.

It's a great game with some serious rough edges and a potential for a sequel that is truly awesome.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well shit...can we get a community going here? Maybe we can make ranked work a little better, and have some fun in the mean time.

My friend code is SW-4110-4885-7810

Not gonna lie, I'm definitely gonna wanna be drinking to play this game online (which I am right now), but if I'm in that mood I'll play any sport hardcore.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Well shit...can we get a community going here? Maybe we can make ranked work a little better, and have some fun in the mean time.

My friend code is SW-4110-4885-7810

Not gonna lie, I'm definitely gonna wanna be drinking to play this game online (which I am right now), but if I'm in that mood I'll play any sport hardcore.
Oh shit, didn't know they added multiplayer to Astral Chain! The Lappy MMO I always dreamed of.

Now I'm curious what thread you meant to post this in.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, didn't know they added multiplayer to Astral Chain! The Lappy MMO I always dreamed of.

Now I'm curious what thread you meant to post this in.

God dammit.

This was meant for Mario & Sonic at the fucking Olympics and shit.

On one hand I want to thank you. On the other hand, I want you to throw a javelin. Regardless, Astral Chain has truly given me some of the best moments of my gaming career, and in particular action moments that compete (with themselves) is Metal Gear Riaing. I'm sorry I'm pretty drunk. I'm hangin I'm there. Fuck TEAH I'm hangin in there.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
I stopped playing it after chapter....5-6? I cant even remember. The combat is really messy having to keep track of the positioning of a third party AI agent that zooms around, hard to see when shit happens, the controls are needlessly complicated and feels unintuitive having to hold down 2-3 buttons to do something that other games accomplished with one. I have none of these problems sitting down with games like Bayonetta, DMC, Metal Gear Rising, Nier: Automata etc. but this reminded me a lot of the time when I played The Wonderful 101. Same issues of annoying extra controls (having to use the right stick to move something around shit) and messy visuals that dont feel clear and I end up just feeling really clumsy.

Also, the characters are really, really, really goddamn boooooooooooooring. Like holy shit I fucking hate that police mascot lady, her stick stopped being funny 15 seconds after the first joke but like Tatsu from Xenoblade Chronicles X they drag that shit out for fucking hours.

This is frankly not even in the top 10 this year. Ill maybe get back around to it some day to finish ot but I have no motivation to do so. DMC5 came out this year which easily tops this game in the action genre.

Oh and as for the music, I have no memory of the music in this game except for one track:

And I fucking hate it so much... there is "ear bug" music and there is "ear flesh eating parasite bullshit music that won't stop because of how goddamn annoying it is".

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just okay, honestly. Too rough around the edges. There's a lot of frustrating stuff that they mitigate by just making it almost impossible to lose. I'm not a fan of that design approach.

I also find the world a bit bland and lacking in character.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It's between Death Stranding and RE2 for me right now. I really should start up this game. I bought it during its launch month but there was just other games I was playing.

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
oh now in become a bit of music thread so... just gonna drop some of AS great ost here.

a song that you heard in you first mission and it open with the banger

E3 trailer song and also play at the almost final moment of the game

slow and methodical song with somber cat theme

1st trailer song and also the 'big bad' theme (actually all her theme are excellence)

Lawr

Banned
Sep 17, 2018
It's my game of the year as well. Fantastic visuals and world-building, even greater music and a combat system that gets more layered and full of depth as you progress through the game almost right to the very end. Lots of wonderful spectacle and a usually enjoyable balance of action sequences to detective & character stuff.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm enjoying the game a lot, there are a few things I dislike: QTE for finishing off an enemy hardly giving you a heads up and enough time to react, looooong missions which kinda ruin the pacing, it took me like 2 hours and then some to finish File 3 because of my "explore every corner" playstyle, whereas Bayonetta 2 was more kind with the length and I finished that recently, so it's still fresh and sometimes the "detective" parts can be tedious and uninteresting.

The biggest issue I have though is the stupid silent protagonist, yet again. He (She?) clearly talks, people react to his supposed lines, but he's just there nodding like an idiot, similar to Link in BotW (give him voices dialogue already FFS!). If I had picked the female protagonist, would it have been the same? Her being silent and the brother actually allowing? If so, that's really goddamn stupid.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I completely forgot this game came out. I really loved it for a while and then immediately got really sick of it and didn't want to play it anymore.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck? How long is it gonna take me to finish it? I don't want to spend more than 30 hours on it.
Took me about 25 hours to beat the main story. After that there's a post game with like 70+ challenge missions with zero story, so there's no real incentive to keep going unless you like the combat and want to see what else it can offer.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The gameplay was really good for a while, but the plot/characters were weak enough that I never finished. Really creative game, but it just felt like it phoned a lot of it in.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
We are living in a golden age of gaming here at the tail end of this gen. Yet another game I need to put on the list.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
A 6,5/10 for me. Just like Wonderful 101 or Mad World. Great concept but the execution is lacking. This will be the last Platinum game I am hum ho about that I will finish. A sequel with actual levels, a story or at least presentation worth telling and none of the tedious "investigations" could be fun. The sales were alight so Platinum might actually do a non-Bayo sequel this time.

The game took me 16-ish hours HardRojo. Howlongtobeat says 19.

diablo900t

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
Like many here, my initial impressions were extremely positive, but I became distracted by other games that came out right around that time frame. Got about 10 hours in and dropped it, unsure if I'll return to it to finish.