• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
An absolute joy to play from start to finish.

Wonderful combat when everything clicks. An interesting approach to the character action game from Platinum, incorporating some detective work.

A lot of personality and the game looks stunning on the switch.

Also lord... that OST *chef kiss*

Also the best post game content in anything I've played this generation. Some wonderful combat missions that will kick your ass if you haven't learned to use every facet of the combat system.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
I loved the gameplay but last third of the story and dumb protagonist doesn't make it a goty for me.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Its a nice new IP but a few things hold it back for me, namely the camera, the framerate and some of the busywork

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It's an absolute blast of a game, but it gets really repetitive after a while. Thankfully the post-game content is indeed very fun.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a lot of issues but they were all kind of moot thanks to Dark Hero.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I thought it was extremely disappointing. Hamstrung by its repetitive structure and a story that is devoid of any emotional impact. It tried to be Nier Automata without understanding what made that game so great.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
I also thought it was GOTY material. Really enjoyed the combat, world, exploration and investigations. The music was phenomenal as you say.

My only critique is that it went a bit too long. I was a bit exhausted by it at the end to continue playing the post-game missions/challenges.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Nah. The way I like to put it is that Astral Chain is a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. In particular, the Bayonetta games have a far better combat system than it, and every other part of Astral Chain apart from the combat is middling.

It's a decent 7/10.

Personally, I thought that Luigi's Mansion 3 and Three Houses were far better than it, and that's only counting Switch games.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Is good, some crazy boss fights but...not a interesting story in my opnion, and i didnt wanted to do all the side stuff because to me was boring

a solid 8

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Was a few chapters in before getting sidetracked, I should get back to it. Combat is a bit fiddly but fun when everything clicks, cool moments of spectacle and world building. Story is intriguing enough, even if the silent protag sticks out like a sore thumb. But there's something about the flow of the missions and the way downtime is structured, makes it tough to stick with for long sessions. Hard to put my finger on it.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Missions were kinda annoying, with the stupid ice cream and box balancing stuff.
Astral Plains were also super bland and platforming sections were more annoying than fun.

7/10 from me.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the gameplay and music but the story goes nowhere and important characters are sidelined just a few chapters in to focus on your whiny sibling character's breakdowns.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It was a 5/10 for me. Combat was great, but the 20 hour game was bloated with 10 hours of the most boring non-combat gameplay imaginable. I actively hated the parts of the game that weren't combat. And even combat got repetitive, with the Astral realm being so bland and carbon copy from beginning to end.

great combat mechanics, but not enough visual variety, and some of the controls were also wonky as hell (I lost count of the number of times I fell to my death when trying to yank myself across platforms or around corners).

it's honestly one of the more bafflingly high praised games of the year to me, I don't get how more people didn't take issue with what I saw as pretty fundamental design flaws. For all of its good qualities it is, and i mean this with no hyperbole, one of the worst-paced games I've ever played in my life

Last edited:

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was barely ok

worst platinum large scale title by s mile anyway

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I also thought it was just ok. Not top 10 for my year.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I love the game. Might be my 2nd favorite this year, some games I haven't finished or started yet but LM3 is definitely #1 right now. Pokemon might unseat it but I have to experience it myself.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely the soundtrack of the year at the very least

I wish I had a legion to eavesdrop on people

Oct 25, 2017
i gave up in chapter 8. fuck all the non combat shit in this game, who keeps asking for platinum to do platforming and investigation stuff? the silent protagonist honestly ruined this game too. platinum games with their amazing protagonists, decides to make a mute anime doll staring dopey eyed and open mouthed in boring ass cutscenes. far from a goty contender.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it. I feel like everyone already kind of forgot about this game since Switch has been pumping out major releases one after another the past few months. The game has a lot of content so if you are looking for a 20-30 hour action adventure game I would definitely recommend Astral Chain.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
i gave up in chapter 8. fuck all the non combat shit in this game, who keeps asking for platinum to do platforming and investigation stuff? the silent protagonist honestly ruined this game too. platinum games with their amazing protagonists, decides to make a mute anime doll staring dopey eyed and open mouthed in boring ass cutscenes. far from a goty contender.
Chapter 9 is the best part though.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
💯

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the game too OP. I feel like it's a really good year for games though so I don't think it's my #1 personally (maybe #3?)

Agreed that the combat really starts to shine in the postgame. You really gotta know your stuff to make it through the later missions in that, it's sublime. the OST is killer. Silent protagonist wasn't great though. And the story kind of falls flat near the end.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I also think it is a supergood game and actually my Goty so far. Haven't played DMC 5, Death Stranding and of course the new Star Wars game though, but it is very original in many ways.

The combat system not only is original and new, but also very satisfying once you pull of crazy things. The game has great enemy variety on top of that, so you are encouraged to swap between playstyles. Overall vibe, graphics and sound are stellar. I found the pacing to be great and some chapters were spectacular throughout. Oh, the last boss was epic.
Negatives are sidequest are not as good as i hoped and i wanted the cool lore to be presented better (through sidequests, which are too self contained for my tastes).

Astral Chain is a 9/10 for me.

Currently playing Luigis Mansion 3, that game also is Goty material. Switch is killing it for me this year.

Last edited:

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I thought it was a solid 8.5/10.

For me personally, I enjoyed Fire Emblem far more, but it's my favorite game series.

There's been a ton of other games that I would put roughly on the same level as Astral Chain this year: Sekiro, Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem, The Outer Worlds, Devil May Cry V, Greedfall, and Total War Three Kingdoms.

RE2re was also good, but it was a remake. I haven't played Disco Elysium or some others yet.