• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Still can't believe that someone made the decision to release a big budget game in 2019 with no surround sound support 🤦‍♂️

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The game is riddled with too problems and wasted potential to be a serious GOTY contender, let alone a winner IMO.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
There had been many good games this year, but Astral Chain was definitively one of the few exceptional games this year.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
First 4 hours made me drop it for the time being, it's third in the backlog.

Hope you're right.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
It would be fantastic but it has some heavy flaws unfortunately that bring it down.

The camera is horrid and framerate is poor.those would be the worst ones.

Fantastic bosses and enemy selection, except for the last boss and its one hit kill gimmicks

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I'd give it an 8.75/10
Its such a fun and creative action game. Can't wait to see how they improve with the sequel. But I wouldn't say its my personal GoTY but I understand why its yours entirely

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
Have not played it yet but when I get a Switch, Astral Chain is near the top of my list of most wanted games. My personal GOTY so far is Devil May Cry 5 but I haven't gotten to a lot of stuff.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It's tied with Three Houses for me. I think Three Houses barely wins in my book, but I agree the game is excellent. I loved the combat, the story is kind of dumb, but I expected that out of a Platinum game that isn't Nier Automata. The issues like the framerate and camera could get annoying, but really didn't bring it down enough to significantly ruin my experience.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised by the reception here. Given that the gameplay is a lot better than most AAA games that end up getting GOTY.

I truly feel that if it was a big budget PS4 title the feedback would be much more positive.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It most definitely is! I wish they would put a patch to adjust the motion controls in some side missions.

Other than that...one of Platinum's best games ever.

Edit: I haven't played DMC5 yet but I did borrow my friend's copy and I let him get my Astral Chain so maybe this opinion could change soon.

Last edited:

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
I'm surprised by the reception here. Given that the gameplay is a lot better than most AAA games that end up getting GOTY.

I truly feel that if it was a big budget PS4 title the feedback would be much more positive.
Has nothing to do with it being a switch game. Gameplay is frankly plenty undervalued for shallow shit and the second part is the type of crowd that would really dig what Astral Chains gameplay would offer, got Devil May Cry 5 this year.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Still need to play it, but it has the highest of combat bars to hurdle if it's going to surpass DMC5.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
didn't play it, but always looked the most interesting game this year, so I trust you.

I don't have anything I would call GOTY currently I think and nothing else interests me as much.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

Dunno, plenty of people seem to think really highly of it in this thread.

It's just that this year is pretty stacked with solid competition, even just on Switch and AC has flaws and peculiarities that woulld weigh it down to different extents, depending on the person.

Dyna

Nov 1, 2017
Finland
All content you consider filler, which is true in the case of file 8, is optional.

Chapter 9 is fire and it remains at a high level until the end, with an amazing final boss.
Sure, but the optional side tasks before File 08 were quite interesting IMO and a good change of pace to the combat sections so I went into File 08 with the intentions to complete every little quest I see, but like many others already said, it was such a slog compared to the previous levels. I'll attempt to get back to it some day and streamline through it.

BK0X

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely! I l (unexpectedly) enjoyed every second of it. The combat was excellent and unique from any other action games, this combat system truly shines in Ultimate PT difficulty and late Chapter 12 cases. The OST was so good. The art style is amazing and reminds a lot of the old-styled anime.
Also, I'm not sure about the "repetitive", the game never felt like that (to me at least). Each case has its own gimmick. Some of them are puzzle-focussed (like Heavy Traffic and the Ghost lady cases), some are purely combat (like the red cases and post-game stuff), and the other focuses on the other characters.
Anyway, this game is definitely my GotY.

Nov 8, 2017
Astral Chain was really well received by critics but I can't help but notice in all of the pre-GOTY outlets it's consistently forgotten along with Super Mario Maker 2. I think releasing at the forefront of that massive fall onslaught of games hurts its chances.

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
Also compare to game in vein of DMC5
Gameplay wise It not as refine as those but to be expect from new IP in new style.
Artstyle very very good.Astral plane BG is a eye canny. Scenery and Enemy type have quite a variety.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still haven't decided on my GOTY but it's pretty high up there alongside Sekiro, Resident Evil 2 and Ring Fit Adventure. It's definitely the game that I want a sequel to the most this year.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

If a AAA game released with such a ridiculous amount of hit stop, a camera hellbent on frustrating you with its unfortunate angles and jankiness, and so much visual noise that it heavily affects combat readability, it'd get raked over the coals.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
i gave up in chapter 8. fuck all the non combat shit in this game, who keeps asking for platinum to do platforming and investigation stuff? the silent protagonist honestly ruined this game too. platinum games with their amazing protagonists, decides to make a mute anime doll staring dopey eyed and open mouthed in boring ass cutscenes. far from a goty contender.
Ok so I do really dig most of the side stuff but will agree that File 08 is the lowest part of the game, especially the first half.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
this game was too easy, and this is coming from someone who had trouble beating both bayonettas

Game was really "cool" with the presentation and all, but it could've had a lot more content to it, and instead padded it with too much repetition.

Jul 24, 2018
The asinine story and characters as well as the terrible platforming kinda takes it down a notch for me. Combat is alright but having to control two characters while trying to dodge incoming attacks just isn't for me. The music is indeed good though.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I liked it but it's not GotY by any means. By the time it was over I was struggling to keep going honestly, the terrible story and samey combat and puzzles bored me after 10 or so hours.

I really liked the visuals though, top notch use of the Switch's capabilities.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it after playing it 2 times, but the gameplay was pretty tedious and the story made no sense and ended with obvious sequel-bait. At least some of the character designs are nice.

1566784408969-Switch_ASTRALCHAIN_screen_99.jpeg

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
For me, it is.

amazing! Nothing came close right now. I'm still waiting for the Star Wars game.

ps.: i havent played resident evil 2 yet.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I e joyed the shit out of that game, however as I tend to do I dropped it imemdiately after finishing the story, and therefore haven't touched the post game.

It's my number 2 GOTY right after Judgment. Can't wait for a sequel, hopefully with a more open environment instead of a File structure.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
that game did nothing for me personally
same, my most hyped game release of 2019. Played it, really dug it at first but then stopped caring about it immediately. Really expected it to be closer to Psycho Pass but it ended up being an okay game. Also, I don't think the game ever managed to look good, Switch really held it back. I'd take screenshots of scenes I liked but then looking back on them I was like "uh this is kind of awful" and then delete them.

A shame, I really, really love the character designs.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. The way I like to put it is that Astral Chain is a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. In particular, the Bayonetta games have a far better combat system than it, and every other part of Astral Chain apart from the combat is middling.

It's a decent 7/10.

Personally, I thought that Luigi's Mansion 3 and Three Houses were far better than it, and that's only counting Switch games.
As much as I liked the combat, I agree. There are too many things in that game that drag it down. Hell, the constant falling off the edge of stuff alone is a major issue.

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
good timing

same, my most hyped game release of 2019. Played it, really dug it at first but then stopped caring about it immediately. Really expected it to be closer to Psycho Pass but it ended up being an okay game. Also, I don't think the game ever managed to look good, Switch really held it back. I'd take screenshots of scenes I liked but then looking back on them I was like "uh this is kind of awful" and then delete them.

A shame, I really, really love the character designs.
Switch screenshot are very compress tho.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most disappointing game of the year for me. I do think it's really good but almost nothing besides the concept did it for me.

I couldn't get through it, and yet I enjoyed Jump Force, Breakpoint, and some other glitchy/critically panned 2019 games more!

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Playing right now. On File 7 I think. These types of games aren't my favorite, but it's prob the bottom of my list for that type.

The controls are just....jesus.
The platforming is just...jesus.
The narrative is...lol.

Thank god for that 60fps patch/hack though.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nope. One of the more mediocre and overhyped things.

DMC5 and Sekiro are far better.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
It really is amazing. Astral Chain, DMC5, Sekiro, and RE2 are really the top of this year.

definedMF

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto Canada
Nah game is probably the weakest Platinum fare Ive come across over the years.

Really weak story and characters with combat that never felt as cohesive as it could be.