• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Say what you want about the movie's plot being basic and "been there done that". It's impossible not to notice and compliment the amazing action scenes, but specially fighting sequences. No fast cuts, barely any music involved (and when it's there, it's amazing), you actually feel each punch and each cut that's happening. It's raw, it's amazingly well choreographed, edited, etc. There's even an amazing 7 minute sequence edited so it looks like it's a 1 cut sequence and the movie is worth a watch just for that really.

Let's start with this one, with some George Michael's Father Figure as background music:

Far from the best scene...but still worth a mention.

Now let's go to the first part of that 7 minute "no cut" scene i was talking about (there's actually cuts but you don't really notice them really):

I mean...what's there to say about it? No music, no gimmicks, some great choreography work, and you can tell Charlize really did her thing in there. If that wasn't enough...here comes the 2nd part of this scene:

It's cold, it's raw. You can actually see both characters getting more and more tired as it all happens. And notice how no music even exists in these last 2 clips.

Now the last part of this sequence:

Again, the no cut part in the beginning, followed by perfect use of music and silence moments.

The movie didn't get a huge promo budget but the movie is worth watching at least. It does nothing new but in a time things are getting more and more overproduced, it's interesting to watch something like this from Hollywood. Sometimes less really is more. It only adds to the tension.

Oct 25, 2017
The movie is not worth watching aside from the two great action scenes. Just youtube them, they don't need context to appreciate them. Movie stinks otherwise.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The movie is directed by the co-director of John Wick, and the stunt coordinator of a bunch of MCU movies, but the writer is the writer of the 300 adaptation and its sequel. It shows.

OP
OP
Tiago Rodrigues

Tiago Rodrigues

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
The movie is directed by the co-director of John Wick, and the stunt coordinator of a bunch of MCU movies, but the writer is the writer of the 300 adaptation and its sequel. It shows.

That explains it. The movie has great action and it needed a better script. If they ever do a sequel let's hope for better writing and same stunt work.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
Is the action better then the villainess? I don't know. I am honestly asking as I haven't seen atomic blonde.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the fight scenes definitely wrote checks the script/pacing couldn't cash.

But man, it has some of the most visceral fight scenes I remember in recent times, if not some of the best ever. The staircase scene just reeks of raw exhaustion, desperation, fear, hopelessness.

I'm hoping Black Widow goes in a similar direction.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a gorgeous movie with kickass action and a great soundtrack and setting. I enjoyed it a lot.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It ain't The Raid or The Raid 2 though.
edit: read the title wrong, I thought it said it had "the" best fighting scene this decade.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I tried watching it and was bored. Action was ok from what I remember, but the movie was boring. Maybe I'll try again one day.

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I very much appreciate that the movie goes for the sapphic route. women action heroes are very gay imo

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
I literally watched this movie just now. I agree that the fights in the movie are very raw. It's very refreshing for a Hollywood movie. But the movie wasn't very engaging imo (story-wise). It was a bit hard to follow.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
well yea, it was directed by one of the john wick directors, i saw it in theaters

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
The movie is interesting in that without going into spoilers, you almost have to watch the movie twice because there are some twists that change huge chunks of the movie. It was probably a bad idea to make a complicated story but also try to do a John Wick style action movie.

I really disliked the movie on my first watch, but years later I watched it again and knowing what I knew, I enjoyed it a lot more the second time through and caught a lot of stuff I didn't even think about first time.

I'd really disagree though with OP in saying its top tier action, its decent but I could rattle off a dozen better action movies this decade. John Wicks, the latest Mission Impossible, a few Hong Kong movies, Mad Max, Edge of Tomorrow, The Raids, Logan, some MCU movies, list goes on and on.

I really liked the movie Anna that came out this year too, its a way lesser version of this (still better than Jennifer Lawrence's ballerina/assassin movie) but it was still good.

Rickelodeon

Oct 25, 2017
agreed on all accounts. i really want a sequel, this deserved to be Charlize's Bond/Bourne type franchise

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't expecting much but I ended up loving it. The action was great.

Overall I liked it more than John Wick which I found really overrated. Funny there are script complaints for Atomic when Wick was utter shit.

OP
OP
Tiago Rodrigues

Tiago Rodrigues

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I wasn't expecting much but I ended up loving it. The action was great.

Overall I liked it more than John Wick which I found really overrated. Funny there are script complaints for Atomic when Wick was utter shit.

The only thing annoying to me when people compare these 2 movies is this:

Atomic Blonde: "lol unrealistic. a woman can't do that lol. she can't kill a man with her body weight. John wick is better"
John Wick: *walks into a building with a handgun, kills 50 people, leaves building alive.*

Somehow people still get uncomfortable with women kicking ass. If you can suspend your disbelieve for one thing, you should do it for the other, honestly.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't aware people were down on this movie. Saw it in theaters and it was an amazing time. Own it on 4K BluRay and it's a fantastic showcase for it and just fun to watch overall, especially with the right sound setup.

ObbyDent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
No gimmicks? The whole one take is a gimmick. Its faked and even goes into a quick car chase scene that is cheap looking as hell.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
This film put me to sleep, and I love Charlize Theron's movies overall, but man, this was a bore.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's fantastic choreography. While it's oozing with style, the movie plays out like a parody outside of these scenes. It lacks the self awareness of John Wick which knows how silly it is (at least the second one onwards which are far better than the original for exactly this reason).

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I love Atomic Blonde. The story is a silly and convoluted but I love the setting and the cinematography and the fight sequences and the soundtrack. Charlize is great in this, as is James McAvoy.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean. Have you been watching the exports from Indonesia?

That's a good thing, 300 is great!
MF2g8Wi.gif

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Movie was tons of fun. Loved they went the more realistic approach by having Charlize get her ass kicked just as bad as the guys she was fighting most of the time. Hate it when the hero walks out of a fight with just a scratch. Like, c'mon.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I don't get how people can call those fight scenes realistic. She is as thin as a stick there's no force behind any of those strikes.

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of like a 2001 Jet li movie but a lack of physicality holds it back. I like how that stairway fight uses long takes to give a real-time nature and a chance to show attrition like The Raid and similar works, but nothing really happens to her. She gets pushed and punched in the cheek. It never comes alive or looks unrehearsed so it just looks like Charlize and a room full of stuntmen. If it featured a fully trained actress or maybe even slightly tighter cuts, it probably would have been a classic.

Why does seemingly every Hollywood movie that features a combat-capable woman character have to give that character a bob? What started this tradition?

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
My wife and I enjoyed the film. Felt the interview room scenes were unnecessary and slowed the film down too much to make it particularly re-watchable, which is why I haven't bought it on 4k.

Charlize was great, as usual. Interested if they go forward with the sequel. May not be the highest tier of "all time action films", but it is better than over 95% of what we get in a given year.

There has been a sharp rise in these type of female-led action films and they are often quite decent. Atomic Blonde being the best of the bunch. Generally better than the old man action subgenre Nelson revived.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I've always loved flicks where the hero gets progressively more battered and fucked up over the course of it, and this definitely scratched that itch. Charlize gets pretty mangled, man. God, she's so badass, I love her. Cool movie, glad to have seen it.